Can I have Oscillococcinum

allie J

I have strep or the flu and the natural remedy suggested to me was Oscillococcinum. The lady at the real foods store said the sucrose is only in trace amounts and you put it under your tongue. I feel really sick but don't want to start over if I take this.

Ultimately your health comes first, but if you don't know whether you have strep or the flu, why are you taking anything?

I don't want to tread on homeopathy, but the studies referenced by wiki and the class action lawsuits about Oscillo indicate placebo.  Staying in line with the real foods preference, this sounds more practical to me:  http://wellnessmama.com/207/24-hour-flu-treatment/

I wouldn't hesitate to take it. Preventing the flu is the most important thing and that stuff works. Pretty sure there's less sucrose in that than in a bottle of GT kombucha, and it will do you a lot more good. Since kombucha and its sugars (and yes, I know that the version allowed is the one with no sugar added after fermentation, still, the stuff is made from sugar and tea)  are allowed on W30 based on how much good the product will supposedly be for you vs the harmful affects of trace amount of sugar, I'd say that oscilloccinum preventing flu would trump that any day. 

You are correct in thinking you need to take it at the first sign of anything so not knowing what you have when you take the O is normal. 

Obviously if your throat is still sore and you don't conquer whatever it is, get your PCP to do a culture. Strep can only be cured with antibiotics, I learned this the hard way. Good luck. 

for the purposes of the whole30 it does not matter how small the amount of added sugar. Any amount would make this supplement non-compliant.

I hope you feel better soon!

Miss Mary with due respect, allowing kombucha, and not allowing a well known, internationally successful, homeopathic flu remedy with trace amounts of sucrose does not make any sense. Oscillococcinum, when taken at the first hint that one might have flu symptoms, can prevent influenza, and is otherwise harmless. This falls under the precedent that has been set by the "GT kombucha has 2g of sugar listed but its so good for you we don't think that matters". 

In the interests of public health and quality of life of the members of this forum, I think a case should be made to the Hartwigs as we enter what is predicted to be the worst flu season on record, that this remedy be W30 approved. 

Thanks . 

Deb- to be clear: I don't make the rules around here.  ;)  I'm not certain the Hartwigs would change the rules for this item specifically, but we can certainly ask them.

FWIW, the program rules do have an exception for "medically necessary" items / ie. prescribed medications. If you believe this supplement to be medically necessary for you, and as such you feel it is within the rules, I'm not going to go over to your house and enforce my interpretation.

Thanks Miss Mary. It seems like a great double standard to tout the virtues of kombucha and not allow a homeopathic flu remedy that has LESS sugars than a bottle of GT kombucha. 

Allie J, I believe that oscillo IS medically necessary for you at this time and I hope you take it and feel better right away!

The Cochran reveiw indicates that most studies are of very low quality and that there is not compelling evidence to any effect of the product.

Since it is simply an extract of duck heart and liver diluted 200x in alcohol and water, why not just cook a healthy meal with the ingredients? That way, if there are any active ingredients you'd get them in a compliant mannner.

Bottom line here:  Just as Miss Mary said, that product is technically not compliant with the rules. Regardless of the amount of sugar added or the perceived logic by other participants.  However, we are all grown ups and it's up to the OP to decide whether this falls into the "medically necessary" category. 

• 10 months later...

Thanks for this very useful thread. I'm about to start my second whole 30. I've been getting lots of UTIs and my doc wants me to visit a homeopath. She said that in her experience it's helpful to prevent recurrent UTIs. HOWEVER she also said all that she believes medically etc would say it's placebo/sugar pills/ nonsense - but she's had several patients reduce or eliminate the occurrence of UTIs with homeopathic remedies.

Thanks moderators for the reminder to be grown ups and take responsibility for what we put in our mouths/under our tongues!

also...antibiotics are not the only way to get rid of strep. I've used a mixture of honey (not compliant on Whole30) and garlic (a natural antibacterial) to kill strep when one of my kids had white spots in her throat. Two days, and it was gone. Although....that wasn't really the point of this thread.  :D

Archived