Canned tuna - oil or water?

Alexian28

I'll have lots of food questions today :-)  It Starts With Food recommends canned tuna in oil but all the ones at the store are packed in soybean oil!  Another person in my support group on here found the same thing.  Do we really have to buy tuna canned in oil or is water ok?  Also, it seems like we should be buying "albacore" vs the "chunk light" tuna due to the higher fat content, although of course watching consumption for potential mercury.  Is this correct?

I always buy the tuna packed in water, just because I'm used to it. I usually make tuna salad out of mine so it's got olive oil from the mayo anyway. I did see a tuna pouch at my Publix the other day that was packed in olive oil with no soy, so they do exist, though it was one out of a bunch of options and may not be in every store.

Your main goal in buying tuna is to buy tuna without soy. Beyond that, whether it is packed in oil or water, or what type of tuna it is, that's all your choice.

If all the tuna brands at your local grocery store are packed in soybean oil, you might have to look at another store.

I have not found ANY compliant "packed in water" tunas ANYWHERE. You may be luckier. They are ALL, every single one, packed with soy broth.

The sneaking in of soy and sugar to foods that don't need it was one of the most appalling discoveries of my first Whole30. Frankly, I still avoid canned tuna because of my utter disgust over this. I eat canned salmon, which is WAY cheaper where I live anyway.

Good luck and happy "hunting"!

I always buy the tuna packed in water, just because I'm used to it. I usually make tuna salad out of mine so it's got olive oil from the mayo anyway. I did see a tuna pouch at my Publix the other day that was packed in olive oil with no soy, so they do exist, though it was one out of a bunch of options and may not be in every store.

Look at the ingredients. I have yet to find anything labeled "Packed in water" that does NOT have soy broth in it.

AmyS - I did look at the ingredients, just out of curiosity, because the last time I looked at a "regular" store I hadn't found anything compliant either (I usually buy my tuna at Trader Joe's, where as far as I can tell, it is compliant even when packed in water). The only compliant tuna I found was in pouches and said nothing about soy either on the ingredients list or the allergens info.

21. Are Wild Planet products gluten-free?

All of our products have been tested for the presence of gluten by a third party testing agency. The results indicate ZERO parts per million detected – our products are 100% gluten free. We attribute these results to the fact that our products naturally do not contain gluten – we simply pack fish and salt into our tuna and salmon canned products. Some varieties of our sardines do contain additional ingredients, all of which are also naturally free of gluten. Click here for test data.

22. Do Wild Planet products contain soy or soy-based ingredients?

None of our products contain soy in any form.  Unlike many brands of tuna, Wild Planet tuna does not contain vegetable broth, hydrolyzed vegetable proteins or any other liquids or fillers, which often do contain soy.  Wild Planet tuna is packed in its own natural juices, and certain varieties do include sea salt.  Our sardines and anchovies are packed in either water, olive oil or marinara sauce, which do not contain soy.  Wild Planet salmon is packed similarly to our tuna products — simply the natural juices from the fish itself and salt.  Our shrimp is packed with natural citric acid as well as water and salt.

- See more at: http://www.wildplanetfoods.com/faqs/#sthash.x7tlco6B.dpuf

products1.png

I am really lucky, that one of our cheaper brands of tinned tuna do a packed in olive oil with no nasties, and a packed in water with no nasties. 

I buy some of each, packed in oil for when I will need on-the-go template meals, and packed in water for post-workout  :)

I have it on subscribe and save too which saves me even more. Glad I could be of service!

Thanks! Although I just checked my can of salmon and I can still get WAY more fish for my dollar buying canned salmon at the grocery store than buying the Wild Planet tuna from amazon. Also, I absolutely adore salmon.

Prices in Hawaii are so wonky. I pay more for conventional ground beef than you folks probably pay for organic. But then I get my papayas for free. :wub:

Archived