Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Day 19!  Things are going pretty good.  Kind of tired of the constant vigilance but am dedicated to completing.  I don't really like going out to restaurants and trying to figure out compliant food -- I would rather just cook my own. 

I was hoping that my tendency to be hungry every two hours would go away but has not.  I have been eating according to the guidelines but am trying to add more fat in to maybe alleviate my hunger.  A couple days I just ignored it and got crabby and a stomach ache so am now just having small veggie or nut snacks or sometimes fruit.  The post workout meal is also kind of hard for me to figure out a good, convenient option for that.

Otherwise energy is up, feel clear headed, and think my gut may be smaller.

My least favorite timing is on weekends and avoiding the convenience food (like Friday night pizza night). 

Happy Friday all!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, it's been an amazing journey, i think my kitchen is getting tired of me! I'm in there all the time. And I sure haven't ever used my dishwasher as I do now!! I used to run it 1x a week, now it's almost every 3 days! 

I have been forgetting to log over at my personal logging site, but I have been compliant every day...it's only in my dreams that I'm not. I dreamed last night that I had something that wasn't compliant, I didn't have a vivid picture of what it was, but I was on day 29 (in my dream) and I had to start over!!! LOL....

I'm taking my nephew to this place this weekend, where there'll be a lot of tempting food- this will be a good test of making sure I have fueled myself well in advance of going- 

Hope everyone's enjoying their Friday!! See you soon!

Thank you, Whole30, for allowing me to get off my GERD meds!  I've been on them for 2-3 years now, and for the past 3 days, I haven't taken them and I haven't had any symptoms!  I couldn't even get off them completely when I went paleo in the fall, so I am so happy to finally (hopefully) be done!  And I'm still drinking coffee...cold brewed to lessen the acid just in case, but so what!  Now a nice slice of pizza would be the real test....

Kabouchey, I love meat and I am getting sick of it, too.

FeliciaOH, congratulations! How wonderful to have such tangible proof that all of your effort is worth it.

My daughter and I planned the food for our Super Bowl party today, 75% compliant. Finishing up day 19, I feel like nothing could taste good enough to make starting over worth it, so I doubt I will have an issue ignoring the 25% I can't have.

YAY!! Day 20!!! just finished some salmon (and MORE salad).  now munching on a few berries and coconut whipped cream.  everything going well but there's one thing I'm really disappointed about. NOT A SINGLE YUMMY FOOD DREAM!!  :angry: do i have to do a special dance or chant before I got to sleep? LOL 
Have a good day Fivers!

I think I'm a little burned out, but you're right, cookin'mama - nothing (off-plan) is going to taste good enough to be worth starting over.

My burnout is on cooking and eating, not so much on the food. I'm OK with what I'm eating. But I came home last night at 7:30pm - after leaving the house at 5:30am - and the last thing I wanted to do was cook and eat. My fault, to an extent, because it's the end of the week and I didn't have anything ready to go. I thought I would be home earlier and that I would just work it out. I'll admit to copping out - dinner was procuitto, some macadamias, and coconut. So not really a meal. But it got me through the evening and into bed early - slept well (for me) and got up for yoga at 6am no problem, so I'm guessing no damage done.

I do find that I'm sweating a lot more with less exertion since I've been on this 30. I'm not sure what's up with that.

SusanB, I have struggled with exactly what you dealt with last night.  I think that I will have time to cook and have a compliant meal planned and then something goes awry and I arrive home late and exhausted.  Fortunately, my husband is away four days a week and when he is home he is willing to make do with whatever we have.  Today I mixed up a batch of the master recipe for ground meat from "It Starts with Food", made a batch of sweet potato hash with it, and then froze the rest in one cup batches.  I figure it will thaw quickly and I can quickly whip up one of the ground meat skillet recipes from the book.  I am also trying to freeze one portion of whatever I make instead of finishing up all the leftovers so I can quickly grab a single serving out of the freezer.

I made Shepherd's pie yesterday and we will have leftovers today. I have nom nom paleo's Korean short ribs in the slow cooker right now.  We will have those tomorrow and I will have leftovers for Monday.  I love to cook, but I am happy to have a little reprieve.

I woke up with a little sore throat this morning and usually take lomatium root if I feel something coming on.  I cannot take it because it is an alcohol base.  I was going to take cold calm but homeopathic remedies are sugar pills.  Emergen C has sugar in it.  I am taking vitamin C and zinc and have fingers crossed that I just slept with my mouth open last night.  ;)

Ok, so who's made the mocha rubbed pot roast before? Is it very spicy? I have it cooking in the crockpot, and I just opened the lid, and it smells a bit spicy- I sure hope not- I dislike when things are very hot, but the only thing in the rub that's hot is the chili powder....hmmmm.

One of my closest friends - a fantastic cook, and baker with skills to rival my own - won't stop with telling me / teasing me about stuff. A few days ago it was "there's a great French bakery/coffee shop opening downtown soon". Last night it was about King Cake, and how he "might" save me some from a party I'm missing because I'll be out of town. Granted, I brought it up, sort of (posted a picture to Twitter of a sign that said "non-edible baby inside", along with a lament that I miss living in New Orleans sometimes), but the back and forth on the topic was a little much. Later last night it was "What are you up to next weekend / So I'm going to a croissant-making class on Saturday".

I tried to brush it off by telling him that he was being a tease. He followed up with "you don't mind, right?" So I told him the truth - to a point, it's all good fun. But when he does it over and over at a time when I'm trying to accept that I'm over 40 with terrible blood chemistry and a family history of diabetes and heart disease....and that this is not a temporary fix, I can not go back to my old eating habits, because those habits were so so dysfunctional. Even if my weight appears, to others, to be "normal".

I think he's mad at me now. We text pretty much every day, and after that last night, I've heard nothing more. Not even an acknowledgment of what I said.

I know there are stages of acceptance with food - I am really struggling with the knowledge that no, I can not go back to sometimes having a pint of ice cream for dinner. Not soon, not ever. It's like....I understand why this is the way it has to be, but I'm still mourning the loss of the comfort I used to find in food (specifically sweets). I get that it was not a reasonable place to find comfort, but maladaptive coping mechanism though it was, it was at least some sort of coping mechanism.

I know that this is not just me - that most if not all of us deal with some family/friends who are making this journey more difficult. But this one really stung. I'm close with his fiancee as well, and she's on her own diet, trying to lose significant weight. I know that she told me that she didn't feel like he was being very supportive, until they had some big talk about it, and now he's much better on the topic. I just feel like...he should know better, because he lives with it (even if her program isn't whole30/paleo).

Le sigh. I'm annoyed.

Ok, so who's made the mocha rubbed pot roast before? Is it very spicy? I have it cooking in the crockpot, and I just opened the lid, and it smells a bit spicy- I sure hope not- I dislike when things are very hot, but the only thing in the rub that's hot is the chili powder....hmmmm.

I made it last weekend - I didn't find it spicy at all. I have a high tolerance for heat though, so maybe I just didn't detect it? Chili powder isn't that spicy, I don't think - not like, say, crushed red pepper or cayenne or anything. 

I hope that you like it!

Hi there!

I survived the week-end! Went skiing and managed to eat compliant, well lunch was not 100% but it's the best I could do at the self service restaurant, I had fries, with grilled ham and a side salad,

Evenings were a bit hard, as usually we always have a couple of beers when we're up there, and my husband did have some. But I know it's mostly an habit, so I stayed strong! I was feeling poorly yesterday (stomach issues), and felt so much like giving up, but I'm much better today.

I'm also dying to step on the scale, but I decided I will not! I did on my 1st whole30, so i want to follow the rules 100% this time.

Still some days ahead, let's do it!

I'm also dying to step on the scale, but I decided I will not!

Me too. I like data. I also do not like suspense. Honestly, I don't care all that much what the scale says (I feel good, clothes fit better, so it really is just a number). But I very much want to fill in the blank for that metric.

Day 21... 3 weeks in.. WHAT? 

Survived a semi crazy weekend in my world... Had an All day Gymnastics meet that I coached at yesterday and didn't even go into the coaches lunch room... nothing compliant in there at all.. so I had a hard boiled egg and watched as my kids  basically SWEPT the floor exercise division (I am am their dance/ floor coach, also choreograph routines) and I had plenty of happy parents and kids... felt good... 

So glad I had food leftover when i got home last night... I was in no mood to cook, so I had some leftover chicken with leftover broccoli and made some roasted potatoes with paleo ranch... was so good!!!!

Phew!  Made it through another weekend, it's always the toughest time. That habit of getting junk food and a drink on Friday night, my kids were cranky with me that I said no to pizza and we had paleo pad thai instead. Saturday night was shrimp and cauliflower rice and then I made dry ribs and salad with paleo ranch (will definitely make that again!) and roasted potatoes last night.  Breakfast is typically eggs and sweet potato hash, sometimes with ground pork and lunch is leftovers.

My hubby is really struggling with no cheat type day, although he is weighing himself and is down over 20 pounds.  He hates vegetables and is really struggling to get them down, even tells me that he gags at times.  It saddens me that he is hating this so much, doesn't like coconut so he didn't like the ranch dressing, he says he's still on board though.  But, we are so close to the end now that I am not going to be swayed!  I don't know if I'm feeling the tiger blood, but really feeling so much more level with my moods and energy levels.  Saturday evening my son had a late basketball game so we didn't get home until after 6, typically I would be HANGRY!, but I was able to calmly prep a good, quick supper and it felt awesome!

8 days to go people! Keep up the good work!

I'm kind of worried. We had leftovers all weekend (and I mean ALL weekend. I didn't do anything but re-heat food, so now I am out of quick, go-to meals.) Luckily, I do have several compliant meals frozen. I guess tonight will be my prep day, since I had a lazy Sunday, but man did it feel good not to be in my kitchen all weekend, except to actually eat!

The youngest just got his spacers in for braces so I have to cook "something soft" for dinner tonight. Any recommendations?

I'm kind of worried. We had leftovers all weekend (and I mean ALL weekend. I didn't do anything but re-heat food, so now I am out of quick, go-to meals.) Luckily, I do have several compliant meals frozen. I guess tonight will be my prep day, since I had a lazy Sunday, but man did it feel good not to be in my kitchen all weekend, except to actually eat!

The youngest just got his spacers in for braces so I have to cook "something soft" for dinner tonight. Any recommendations?

It's probably too late, but possibly mashed cauliflower and some soup for the sore mouth? I'm bad with ideas for soft stuff! i stewed some celery and carrots over the weekend, those were soft....

Good thing I wrote the days on my desk calendar or would have no idea what day I am on... Day 22... only 8 to go... feeling good, having lots of energy and sleeping well..

Having some serious stress in my life right now and caught myself thinking I could just eat something noncompliant because it was there and easy last night, but I am sticking through it...a glass of chocolate milk isn't going to change the stress in my life... only I will.

Anyone here going to extend to 45? I'm not seeing these amazing effects that everyone's talking about- I think I'm going to go a bit longer to see if it's just me--If you're up for it, let me know...we can start a new thread on day 31 to help each other along. 

Question for you all-- Do any of you have the goal of using this as a weight loss method? I haven't broken the rule of no weighing, but I will step on that scale first thing on Day 31....what I want to know is this-- after resetting your attitudes towards the problems in your eating habits, and identifying what you need to focus on, is there anything wrong with just having something very small for dinner, instead of these full on meals at night? I get home so late, but I go to bed very early--I'd like to have more than 2 hours between eating and sleeping with such a full meal on my stomach, and I also think that this helps me when I'm trying to lose weight- but perhaps it's all in my head. 

• Administrators

Anyone here going to extend to 45? I'm not seeing these amazing effects that everyone's talking about- I think I'm going to go a bit longer to see if it's just me--If you're up for it, let me know...we can start a new thread on day 31 to help each other along. 

Question for you all-- Do any of you have the goal of using this as a weight loss method? I haven't broken the rule of no weighing, but I will step on that scale first thing on Day 31....what I want to know is this-- after resetting your attitudes towards the problems in your eating habits, and identifying what you need to focus on, is there anything wrong with just having something very small for dinner, instead of these full on meals at night? I get home so late, but I go to bed very early--I'd like to have more than 2 hours between eating and sleeping with such a full meal on my stomach, and I also think that this helps me when I'm trying to lose weight- but perhaps it's all in my head. 

Hey Jenn, totally get that "on paper", skipping or reducing meals would be a great weight loss tool, especially if you feel you have other reasons for skipping or reducing a meal.  Unfortunately it won't take long for your body to see that restriction as food scarcity and start slowing down and hanging onto what it gets.

If you're consistently getting home late, can you bring something and eat on the way so that you're having two mini meals (one before you leave work and one when you get home) that are equivalent to one regular one?

Or make a soup and throw some protein in it?  Omelettes are fairly light and can be filled with sauteed veggies.  I would think maybe for your late dinner/early to bed predicament you prob don't want to be eating a steak and sweet potato but there are things you can go for that are less dense/heavy.

I've been throwing around the idea of doing a whole 45.  I haven't weighed either, and will totally be jumping on the scale on the 31st day, but I definitely need to stay the course for weight loss and for keeping me on track with the no sugar thing.

How's everyone's day 24?! Can you believe it? 6 days left- i was thinking about my headaches those first two days and thought how I never want to go through those again!!! 

I haven't had food dreams (yet), but last night I had a very vivid dream- usually my dreams don't stay in my memory and aren't as clear...wonder if that means i'm sleeping better- i would like to say it does, based on what i've read about when dreams occur (stages of the sleep) and ability to remember them :)

Looking forward to catching up with everyone later today- 

:) Have a great day!

Archived