Starting January 5th! Who wants to start with me? :)

Seattleram

Jenn1270, I am considering continuing on for a bit but have not decided yet. I think that a little longer on the plan might help cement good habits and I am feeling better each day.

Cookin' mama- i see you are in the Boston area-- is the snow as bad as what they're making it out to be on the nightly news? did you lose power at all? I hope it's going ok, and that you're staying warm!!

• Replies 514
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 24, is it really?  I keep losing track.  I'm planning to continue on to maybe a Whole60.  I feel like I'm just starting to get a groove on, I feel good and don't really have much interest in stopping.  Caught a cold, though, on Day 22.  Now that's annoying.

Day 24, is it really?  I keep losing track.  I'm planning to continue on to maybe a Whole60.  I feel like I'm just starting to get a groove on, I feel good and don't really have much interest in stopping.  Caught a cold, though, on Day 22.  Now that's annoying.

I really want to go on but feb 3rd is going to be an anniversary with me and one of my friends. we became friends because I accidently ate a cookie that was meant for one of our co workers ( the most dramatic coworker at that). Anyway it was hilarous and we hit it off the bat because of that incident, so we celebrate by eating a cookie. I'm kind of scared of eating the cookie cause I'm worried its going to sprawl me back into bad eating habits, but its an important ceremony to me.  Advice?

oh i wish my clothing was falling off! I need that to happen :)

Full disclosure: I started exercising regularly in August, and really stepped up the frequency and intensity in October, so this was bound to happen at some point. But....I'm crediting the 30 with the actual results, since exercise or not, my weight/size was not changing before that.

(no, I haven't weighed - but these trousers are ridiculous. I think I wore them about two weeks ago and they were fine!)

I really want to go on but feb 3rd is going to be an anniversary with me and one of my friends. we became friends because I accidently ate a cookie that was meant for one of our co workers ( the most dramatic coworker at that). Anyway it was hilarous and we hit it off the bat because of that incident, so we celebrate by eating a cookie. I'm kind of scared of eating the cookie cause I'm worried its going to sprawl me back into bad eating habits, but its an important ceremony to me.  Advice?

Mrs. Bishop,

Since that is day 30, is there anyway your friend would postpone it until the 4th? I'm sure she'd understand and support you.

I do understand this- that one cookie might act as a gateway drug to other "cookies" and ways of eating, if it were day 6 or 7...but you've put a lot of work and effort into your new habits, and one cookie will be a nice treat to have for your celebration with your friend  to just let it derail you back into old habits...You are stronger than one cookie! :)

I loved the story of how you two met... :)

Jenn1270, I live about 30 miles northwest of Boston and the official snowfall for my town was 36 inches.  We were one of the hardest hit towns.  The winds were a factor and the light fluffy snow was easily blown around, making it difficult for snowplows to keep the roads clear.  My husband was away and I had to keep our generator vents free from snow just in case, not an easy task wading through 4 to 5 foot drifts.  We were fortunate not to lose power, though.  

SusanB, congratulations on the potential wardrobe malfunction!  My pants are quite a bit loser but not falling off yet.

MrsBishop, I would not be able to end my whole30 a day early for any reason. If you really want to continue on I am sure that your friend would be happy to postpone your celebration.  Friends support each other.

How is it day 24 already? Me, just rolling along.

Oh, and my trousers are falling off. It's crazy.

Mine, too!  I've had to start wearing a belt with almost all my pants, and they used to fit perfectly without one.  I didn't need to lose any weight per se, but I am kind of glad about it.  I just hope it doesn't all come back right away if I add in some things that have been forbidden!

Of course, I'm now I'm really fantasizing about having something sweet.  And my main goal was to slay the sugar dragon!  So I think I'm going to have to really keep going as long as possible once 30 days are up, and not give into the sugar too fast.

Am I weird for not having any real cravings for anything specific? I'm most looking forward to restrictions being eased and being able to go out to eat and not stress if the steak is marinated in something off-plan!  Although AngelaS, sushi would be yummy!

I've been reading a lot today, about re-introduction and what to do after and I think my plan is to stick with whole30 eating 90% of the time and be very choosy with what I can have off-plan.  (or what I choose to have off-plan I should say).  I have a few items that I have been making that I really enjoy and that are making this very easy to do long term.

MrsBishop, I know that this is an important event for you and your friend, but I have to agree that maybe you and your friend can celebrate both your completing the full 30 day plan AND your friendship the next day!  Or maybe in honor of being healthier and eating better foods you could switch it up to some fruit and whipped coconut cream instead?  Still feels sinful, (and steal-worthy!) but not breaking the rules!  And I love the story behind your friendship, that's awesome!

I feel so good today!  Everyone in my office has a cold...except me. Thought I would post here instead of point it out to them! I'm seeing major results in how my clothes fit too and I am thinking I am only going to reintorduce wine for now! Day 25... feeling so alive!

Ugh - my travel schedule is getting in the way of reintroduction. One of the main sources of enjoyment in my travel is sampling local foods - it's like an exercise in cultural anthropology for me. And I'm going to visit a friend who is an excellent cook and an even better baker. I took a very long and hard look at what I am willing to do and not willing to do on this trip. It's day 24 now.

I can: 1) have reasonable portions (i.e. no sweets binges); 2) stay away from one or two categories of things (like, soy and legumes or something); 3) try to have template meals as much as possible. I am not going to be able to: 1) micromanage my reintroduction the way I would be able to at home; 2) exert full control over meal times and places; and 3) discuss my dietary choices at length. My friend is just recovering from a double mastectomy and chemo - and I am just not going to be the one who blah blah blah my diet, you know.

I'm traveling on day 32. I did a previous 30 and when I started reintroduction, I learned that I was fine with dairy (after a good 30, I did dairy three times a day for four days....I'm good with dairy!). I took dairy out and tried rice - seemed fine with that as well.

I'm not sure of a good strategy to use while traveling. I think I am coming to the conclusion that since eating on-plan is pretty easy to do at home, that I go back and do another 30 when I can so that I can get the reintroduction right.

Am I being too rigid about it all? Anybody have any suggestions?

Ugh - my travel schedule is getting in the way of reintroduction. One of the main sources of enjoyment in my travel is sampling local foods - it's like an exercise in cultural anthropology for me. And I'm going to visit a friend who is an excellent cook and an even better baker. I took a very long and hard look at what I am willing to do and not willing to do on this trip. It's day 24 now.

I can: 1) have reasonable portions (i.e. no sweets binges); 2) stay away from one or two categories of things (like, soy and legumes or something); 3) try to have template meals as much as possible. I am not going to be able to: 1) micromanage my reintroduction the way I would be able to at home; 2) exert full control over meal times and places; and 3) discuss my dietary choices at length. My friend is just recovering from a double mastectomy and chemo - and I am just not going to be the one who blah blah blah my diet, you know.

I'm traveling on day 32. I did a previous 30 and when I started reintroduction, I learned that I was fine with dairy (after a good 30, I did dairy three times a day for four days....I'm good with dairy!). I took dairy out and tried rice - seemed fine with that as well.

I'm not sure of a good strategy to use while traveling. I think I am coming to the conclusion that since eating on-plan is pretty easy to do at home, that I go back and do another 30 when I can so that I can get the reintroduction right.

Am I being too rigid about it all? Anybody have any suggestions?

I am traveling on Feb 15 and feel your pain. I'll be going to a work conference where I'll be held hostage with only conference food available. I've been eating paleo for a while and found myself starving quite often at my last conference, especially at breakfast time (continental breakfast is no fun!). I got by that time by "cheating" with dairy, mostly, not concerning myself too much with various sauces and marinades, and sometimes just skipping meals and eating a ton at dinner when I had more choices. Once I ordered a very expensive room service breakfast that I had to pay for myself, which I'd rather not do on a daily basis.

I really wanted to try the careful re-introduction of foods after Whole30 but I don't know how possible that will be. I am now also pretty sure that dairy was causing most of the of the acne I've been dealing with for years, and don't really want to have a huge breakout during my conference!  This time I do plan to bring some snacks along like nuts, dried fruit, and beef jerky. I have a food dehydrator and I'll probably be putting it to good use the week before.

This time I do plan to bring some snacks along like nuts, dried fruit, and beef jerky. I have a food dehydrator and I'll probably be putting it to good use the week before.

Chandra,

What do you use your dehydrator on the most? I'm looking into getting one, but I don't want another appliance on the counter just to have it. Do you use it often? Veggies or fruits- do you ever make your own jerky?

Ok, here's a question for everyone- Does your area have a Sprouts Market? We're getting one within walking distance of my neighborhood, and I'm tryign to read up on if I'll like their meat dept. as much as I like my Whole Foods--it's just going to be so ooooo convenient to me, but i have really come to love my butchers at WF and also the produce dept....I am looking to join a good CSA so i might not need the produce dept. as much, but just was curious what y'all thought of Sprouts if you had one! :)

Happy Thursday, and happy 25!!

Chandra,

What do you use your dehydrator on the most? I'm looking into getting one, but I don't want another appliance on the counter just to have it. Do you use it often? Veggies or fruits- do you ever make your own jerky?

I do not need anything else on my kitchen counter either! :) I actually store the dehydrator in the basement when I'm not using it because it takes up a decent amount of space. After reading some reviews I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/Excalibur-2500ECB-5-Tray-Economy-Dehydrator/dp/B004UF9U0Wand it came with a cookbook with recipes and instructions for dehydrating just about anything.

I have used it mostly for jerky at this point, but I did make banana chips once. This is the recipe I followed: http://againstallgrain.com/2013/01/07/smoky-beef-jerky/ but I found that I prefer it sliced against the grain, even with London Broil.

I'm so glad this week is almost over- work's been CRAZY busy!! I also am glad because I just didn't love the main meat I cooked this past weekend (along with my regular chicken thighs and ground meat)-- I made the mocha rubbed pot roast, and to be honest, I just found it to be too strong of a flavor...i wanted the taste of the meat to override the taste of the rub- 

I'm also ready for a new batch of bone broth, and i want to use marrow bones, but my Whole Foods runs out so quickly on Friday of the grass fed ones- I wish I could call ahead and order them! Maybe I'll try!

How's your week going? Are you glad it's Friday too!?! :)

See you all soon...we're in the home stretch...although I think I told you all I'm extending to 45 to see how things pan out for a another few weeks!

hanging in there - I too am very glad that it's almost time for the weekend to begin! Are any of you starting to think ahead to next week & reintroductions? I'm a scientist at heart and am looking forward to experimenting on myself a bit - but I'm also thinking that I'll stick to mostly on plan eating. I like what it's doing so far! Keep it up folks and have a good weekend!

Oh my goodness!  I, too, am SO glad it's Friday! It's been a hectic week and I am ready to sleep in tomorrow, and get some prep cooking done for next week.  We are scrounging for food!

I'm still at odds as to what to do, I am thinking I will stick to the plan until something comes-up that really compels me.

As for today, I'm wondering where my tiger blood went.  I did my workout at lunch and I was dragging, winded and tired. It's not like I am in great shape, but better than I felt today!  I'm wondering if maybe I didn't eat enough last night and it affected me today.  I struggle with eating enough in the evenings, it's still hard not to think too much about cutting calories.  I was freaking out a bit last night because it felt like I haven't lost anything, but then this morning I came to my senses and realized it was just some bloating.  The scale is the biggest thing looming for me, I hate it, but I get so motivated by those dam numbers!  I didn't think I would be so much more wishy-washy on Day 26....but I'm sticking with the plan till the end no matter what!

Speaking of which, Super Bowl Sunday, I need to cook-up some compliant treats to keep the villagers happy!

Oh my goodness!  I, too, am SO glad it's Friday! It's been a hectic week and I am ready to sleep in tomorrow, and get some prep cooking done for next week.  We are scrounging for food!

I'm still at odds as to what to do, I am thinking I will stick to the plan until something comes-up that really compels me.

As for today, I'm wondering where my tiger blood went.  I did my workout at lunch and I was dragging, winded and tired. It's not like I am in great shape, but better than I felt today!  I'm wondering if maybe I didn't eat enough last night and it affected me today.  I struggle with eating enough in the evenings, it's still hard not to think too much about cutting calories.  I was freaking out a bit last night because it felt like I haven't lost anything, but then this morning I came to my senses and realized it was just some bloating.  The scale is the biggest thing looming for me, I hate it, but I get so motivated by those dam numbers!  I didn't think I would be so much more wishy-washy on Day 26....but I'm sticking with the plan till the end no matter what!

Speaking of which, Super Bowl Sunday, I need to cook-up some compliant treats to keep the villagers happy!

I saw a good post i'll need to find again, that had a bunch of super bowl compliant stuff. I am craving smoked salmon, which i think would be a nice little treat on SBS!!

I had the EXACT same feeling this morning at my workout...pure exhaustion-- I haven't been eating the pre-WO meal, and I will start that, b/c eating dinner, then working out on a an empty stomach is just too darn hard. I have breakfast immediately after my workout, so i actually see zero point in eating a Post WO meal, then breakfast....but if i don't start eating a tiny bit of protein and veggies before workouts they'll have me very frustrated...even my trainer said, "jenn, you're  a total wimp today" !!! lol....I think that this is one of the big reasons i want to go to Whole45-- also I want to detatch myself from the feeling that i HAVE TO weight myself to feel proud of my accomplishments...and for this to occur, i think i need a little more time making my brain right in this area, while continuing to W45. I feel you KBoom, I really do! It's not just about the foods we're eating it's all about that relationship that we had with eating, weighing, planning, and living before our Whole30. This is why I have to keep going a bit longer....my relationships with some of these things isn't quite cemented in just yet. I guess I'm a slow learner in some areas ;)

I am hosting a super bowl party (Go Pats!) and I am serving a mixture of foods, some compliant and some not.  It will not be an issue for me not to eat the non compliant stuff, the issue is not to unconsciously stick some cheese in my mouth while cooking it.  I have been holding a clove in my mouth while working.  The good news is my favorite roasted buffalo chicken wings can easily be compliant by subbing ghee for butter.  Also, my daughter asked for paleo chocolate chili.

Jenn1270, I hope you can find some compliant smoked salmon.  I really wanted to serve smoked salmon on cucumber with a sprig of dill and homemade horseradish sauce and could not find any salmon not cured with sugar. I did only go to two stores before I gave up, though.

I made a dish that I didn't like at all, too.  I made the stovetop pork carnitas that everyone raves about.  For me the citrus flavor was overpowering and detracted from the flavor of the rub.  Unfortunately, my husband was out of town so I couldn't pawn it off on him. 

• Administrators

I made a dish that I didn't like at all, too.  I made the stovetop pork carnitas that everyone raves about.  For me the citrus flavor was overpowering and detracted from the flavor of the rub.  Unfortunately, my husband was out of town so I couldn't pawn it off on him.

That was actually our experience with that dish also. WAY too acidic and citrusy. We tried the revision with pineapple and orange juice but that just made it too cloyingly sweet. I think next time I would try the orange pineapple with a good dose of lemon. But there are a million carnitas recipes out there that I may not bother trying that one again. Note, that is the only recipe I have EVER made from her stuff that I didn't love.

Archived