Starting January 2nd

pechristie

Hi W30ers

My name is Paula and found Whole 30 kind of by accident(or divine ineraction) in October. after reading its all about food i felt that I needed to try this.

I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis in 2000, I have been pretty lucky and have just a little damage in knuckles in my right hand.I am currently on 2 medications for my RA that work pretty well. A couple of years ago I started having stomach and intestinal problems, I cut out milk products and take lactaid when I have dairy items.That helped for awhile, but still had issues even when i didnt have dairy. celiac testing came out negative.

I am hoping that W30 will help me deterine what is causing the stomach issues and the recent flares as well as the depression and anxiety i have. If i lose weight, great, but for the first time it isn't about losing weight, its about being healthy and improving my quality of life.

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I will be starting Whole30 on January 2nd also!   We both have issues that we feel that the inflammation in our bodies are causing.  I have to take Lyrica for the pain in my hands and wrist and the side affects are not fun. Of course we both need to lose some weight.  I use to never eat anything with white flour and sugar but have strayed off of it.  Looking forward to start a new eating habit for life!!

Hi everyone!

I'm starting the Whole30 January 2nd as well! I'm doing it with my husband (both first-timers) and my friend (completed one in September).  I'm hoping for increased energy, improved mood, skin and digestive track, and hopefully a little weight loss (or at least no more weight gain).  I'm excited and nervous! 

Good luck to you all!

Colleen

I'm also starting my first Whole30 on January 2. I've done some Paleo/Keto in the past year, but got off track in November and my body is definitely feeling it. I thought W30 would be a great way to reset and get back on track.

I'm honestly most worried about the alcohol. My SO is an avid homebrewer, and always sampling new beers. We definitely don't binge, but we do enjoy splitting a craft beer 2-4 times per week. Oh well, I'm sure I can manage for 30 days!

Thank you all for the comments. It is extremely helpful to have this wonderful resource, where we can help one another.

I tried it for a few days in November and had killer headaches, I am concerned that this will happen again. Is this from sugar withdrawls? I am a coffee drinker, drank less than usual ( not as tasty without sugar and almond milk), so this could be part of it. I generally will have mild headaches, but they were much worse ( but not to migraine level). I heard that making sure I am well hydrated will help. Any other suggestions?

take cafe, Paula

• Administrators

Hi Paula,

Headaches in the first few days of Whole30 are extremely common and they can be impacted from decrease in caffeine.  Depending on what your consumption is like prior to Whole30, that change to a different style and timing of eating can be upsetting to your body at first.  Your body will be starting to balance hormones and flip over from carb burning to a fat burning situation which are headache makers, for sure.

You can definitely google "Whole30 + headache" and get tonnes of threads and resources and discussions.  Some things that are recommended over and over to help though are to make sure that you are having at least one fist sized serving of starchy veggie every day (yam, sweet potato, rutabaga, winter squash etc) and lots of water, at least half an ounce per pound of body weight.

Typically the headaches can last anywhere up to around 10 days, varying in intensity and impacted by things such as female sex hormones (think impending period).  For some people who deal with chronic headaches, once they get into the middle of their Whole30 they notice the intensity and frequency of their headaches decrease so it's something to consider; stick it out and cope the best you can because it will get better!

(I was a chronic headache and hormonal migraine sufferer and had a headache from Day 1 to Day 14 and then again from Day 17-20 but once that passed (and my period had passed as well) I haven't had one since...and that was in September).

I start on the 2nd as well. It just feels right to start the day after New Year's because I know if I wait any longer, it'll turn into never.

I'm currently making a really long shopping list. This is my biggest fear. I don't like shopping. I like quick trips to the supermarket, but I think this first trip for Whole30 is going to be a big one! I'm hoping Whole Foods/Trader Joes/Stop & Shop are not busy early on New Year's Day.  ^_^

Hi! I'm in prep mode for my 4th Whole 30.  I haven't done one since last January, and I'm SO ready.  I am usually a pretty healthy eater (Whole 30 changed my life), but recently have spun out of control.  Funny (not really) how eating bad stuff makes you feel bad, but makes you want to eat more bad stuff.  My body is screaming for clean eating.

For the newbies, I can assure you that the way you will feel will be more than enough payoff for the effort it takes to complete the 30 days.  I am a 3 time cancer survivor, and was in agony from the side effects of an oral chemotherapy agent that I have to take every day.  The Whole 30 eliminated my joint pain and stiffness, increased my energy level and generally made me feel GREAT.  Not just better, but GREAT.  I don't usually weigh myself (it's an addictive behavior for me), but I know I shrink during the Whole30.  The bloat disappears almost immediately.

Good luck on this journey!  I'll be here to give and get support.

Jodi

Hi,I will be starting my first whole thirty on the second as well. I'm trying to make a general change toward a healthy lifestyle as I am getting married next summer and want to be healthy for my future family. I'm also a nursing student so I feel I should really practice the kind of nutrition I preach to my patients. Also, I know I love sugar way too much and want to get away from that. Good luck everyone :)

Hi i will be starting my whole30 the beginning of 2015!!! super excited and nervous at the same time. I have a 14 month old son and work part time at a grocery store (super convenient for this whole30 shopping!) still researching about this program and would love any suggestions and recommendations on how to start, how much to buy (every week, every 2 weeks, etc.??), recipes, and sample meal plans?? I'm so lost right now and so overwhelmed! would love your guys' insights! 

My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 on 1/2/15. Like Karlativan I'm a little lost and overwhelmed right now too as to where to start.  I do well with shopping lists and suggested meal plans but not sure where to find everything...I'm following Whole30 on Instagram and FB right now.

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated!!

Looking forward to journeying with all of you!!

i followed w30 for 3 weeks felt great lost 10lbs but alas xmas came through and knocked me down.....starting again i think what helped me most was reading the receipe book "well fed" gave a lot of helpful tips as well as a basic overview which simplifiedthings for me. every recipe i tried was great

they are on my bedside table again as i get ready for the 2nd

• Moderators

My husband and I are starting our first Whole30 on 1/2/15. Like Karlativan I'm a little lost and overwhelmed right now too as to where to start.  I do well with shopping lists and suggested meal plans but not sure where to find everything...I'm following Whole30 on Instagram and FB right now.

Any suggestions or links would be greatly appreciated!!

Looking forward to journeying with all of you!!

Shopping lists and other printables are here.  The Clothes Make The Girl has a Whole30 Resources Roundup, including a few weeks' worth of her version of meal plans (more a plan to make sure you have plenty of protein, fat, and veggies prepped for the week, not so much a plan of eating x for breakfast and y for lunch and z for dinner). Nom Nom Paleo also has a post about prepping for a Whole30, and will be posting W30 recipes every day this month. 

Hello all;

I'm a newbie to Whole30 and am starting Jan 2nd as well.  I have been wanting to do this for a while now and can't think of a better time to "restart" my body than now, after all the horrible holiday eating!  I am looking forward to the results and doing this with all of you!  It's great to have this support!  Good luck everyone!

Hi I am Lavanya and I am really, really new to the Whole30 concept. I have decided to start my first Whole30 on Jan 2 and would need the support of this group to get through to day 30 and beyond. 

I am borderline obese (BMI 29), despite doing regular strength and endurance training at a Bootcamp near me. Isn't weightless 80% nutrition and 20% exercise? Time to fix the 80% and I really, really hope that Whole30 is the key. 

Good luck to all of us!

My husband and I will also be starting our very first Whole 30 on January 2nd.  We are excited to begin.  I am currently reading "It Starts With Food."  I ordered "Well Fed" so am looking forward to receiving it and reading the recipes!  Good luck to everyone who is beginning W30.  It is a wonderful way to begin 2015!

Hello from Scotland! My boyfriend and i are doing this starting tomorrow (2nd Jan) as well. We did half of jan last year but circumstances made us stop esrly. I am determined to go for the whole of Jan. I think it will be harder for my boyfriend as he likes to snack a lot so we will see! Currently going through Pinterest and making a vague meal plan and a shopping list so I can make some condiments etc. I always find breakfast the hardest. I usually have an almond butter and banana smoothie with almond milk but obv this is out for Whole 30 so im gonna make some slow cooker breakfast sausage etc.

Archived