Bad Gas all day and night (HELP)

tplummer

Nuts, seeds, raw veggies, cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, etc.) can all cause gas.  If you are eating several of them per day -- look out.  You may have to cut some of these things out completely, or at least be aware of the fact that if you eat them all at once -- you're gonna have problems!

• Moderators

But veggies are the main part of the Whole30.

Yes. But RAW veggies can be harder to digest than cooked. And many people, whether they're doing Whole30 or not, have issues with cruciferous veggies like broccoli and cauliflower. I love both broccoli and cauliflower, but one week for my weekly cookup I made both and had a serving of each every day, sometimes two (I really like roasted cauliflower). After a couple of days, I was beyond gassy and bloated and miserable. Now I limit myself to one serving of a cruciferous veggie a day so I don't overdo it. 

So you may be able to have some raw veggies, and you may be able to have some cruciferous veggies, but maybe try to limit both. 

And how many nuts/seeds are you eating? A lot of people find if they eat very many, they cause digestive problems.

Plus, you're still early enough in the process you could still be going through the process described under days 8-9 on the timeline.

I am having some similar issues.  I started digestive enzymes and am trying to go a week with reduced cruciferous veggies or very fibrous veggies.  And no nuts.  This means for me: sweet potato, light greens like spinach (the chard went straight through me, yuck), zucchini, sqaush, bell peppers, carrots, green beans, apples (cooked actually), fresh citrus fruit, and a banana with breakfast, because I read in a few places that the starch/fiber ratio in a banana is good for sensitive/healing systems.  It is helping, but my no means cured overnight.  I also am adding raw apple cider vinegar and lemon juice to a glass of warm water each morning.  It is NASTY, but boy do I feel great afterwards!

Day 9 here. I'm having similar issues as well. Other than a lack of energy and feeling slightly depressed, my body is physically ok most of day the day then -BAM - I blow up like a balloon after dinner! I've heeded all warnings regarding avoidance of raw veggies, eating more starchy veggies, limiting nuts, etc. (I also found a personal correlation between stomach upset and red bell peppers...weird, huh?). Please let me know how the digestive enzymes work as I've been tempted to started taking them...at least with dinner.

• Administrators

(I also found a personal correlation between stomach upset and red bell peppers...weird, huh?). 

I cannot even be in the same room as a green pepper or I inflate faster than a Macy's parade balloon.  And the pain and cramping that comes with it, oh my!

Yeah - raw peppers personally give me blister like sores in the corner of my mouth, and sometimes on my hands.  So yes I avoid them.  They are considered a nightshade.  Nightshades - although perfectly healthy for some, can cause many problems for those people who have autoimmune issues.

I cannot even be in the same room as a green pepper or I inflate faster than a Macy's parade balloon.  And the pain and cramping that comes with it, oh my!

This is my issue as well. Bell peppers cause horrible stomach pain for me. I discovered this long before I went Paleo.

I'm on day 22 of my first Whole30.  For the most part I feel good.  However, each morning I wake up with so much gas I feel like I've been blown up for a colonoscopy.  When I tap on my gut, it sound hollow.  I don't eat a lot of raw veggies or cruciferous vegetables, nor nuts.  I vary my food choices at night, so I'm not sure what's going on.  I'm feeling frustrated.  Will this gasiness eventually go away?

Cwhite

• 1 month later...

I have been Paleo for over 2 years and pretty strict too.

However, i did drink beer and or wine and spirits.

I ate cheese and dark chocolate.

I am in day 29 of my first Whole 30.

A couple small mistakes/cheats.... ( buttered popcorn, small glass of wine, honey sausage )

I no longer have solid stools, and i have large tummy ( bloated ).

I am wondering.....

Could the removal of Dairy, for me cheese and Kefir , have brought on Dysbiosis in my system ?

Thinking i now have a proliferation of the gas causing bacteria which is feeding off the potatoes/rice that i eat coldish.

I have read a lot of stuff about Resistant Starch and now Grace Liu.

I have read at least a couple times that gas is NOT normal .

Are we missing something here?

• Moderators

I have been Paleo for over 2 years and pretty strict too.

However, i did drink beer and or wine and spirits.

I ate cheese and dark chocolate.

I am in day 29 of my first Whole 30.

A couple small mistakes/cheats.... ( buttered popcorn, small glass of wine, honey sausage )

I no longer have solid stools, and i have large tummy ( bloated ).

I am wondering.....

Could the removal of Dairy, for me cheese and Kefir , have brought on Dysbiosis in my system ?

Thinking i now have a proliferation of the gas causing bacteria which is feeding off the potatoes/rice that i eat coldish.

I have read a lot of stuff about Resistant Starch and now Grace Liu.

I have read at least a couple times that gas is NOT normal .

Are we missing something here?

First, please go read this article and this one and understand that your "small mistakes/cheats" mean that you have not completed 29 days of a Whole30. The rules are very, very clear, and are meant to be followed 100%.

If you list a few days' worth of foods (including approximate portion sizes based on the meal template) and water intake, we may be able to give you some suggestions about what might help.

I was about to throw in the towel this evening!! Day #8, and everything has been great since I started my whole30 last week. I'm not a big fan of sugar anyway, so the only thing I really miss is my fried rice!! I woke up this morning and noticed my IBS-like gas was back in full force, and went around at school today truly feeling like a hazard to society!! I'm trying to pinpoint what might have triggered this awful feeling........at Easter dinner yesterday I had to refrain from all the pot-luck dishes, so as soon as I got home I beelined it to Walgreens to get two bags of unsalted raw cashews and almonds, which I totally stuffed my face with!! :P

So I guess the nuts are off my plate for now!! 

Hopefully this gas will subside before tomorrow morning ^_^

• Administrators

Nuts can cause serious digestive distress for some folks. Serious. And lasting at least until the next day.

I can't eat nuts anymore, the gas and bloat is just insane. And noxious.

Archived