Soy sauce substitute?

Jschildt

• Moderators

I find the combo of coconut aminos with a splash of Red Boat fish sauce (a rare compliant one) makes for a better soy sauce substitute in general cooking than coconut aminos alone, which are, I agree, sweeter and not as potent as soy sauce.

Though if you're looking to use something as a dipping sauce, for rice-free sushi or something like that, there really is no simple substitute. I just use lemon juice or make a proper dipping sauce with coconut aminos as a base.

Coconut aminos works for me as an ingredient -- it certainly kicks up the umami. As a dipping sauce? Meh. It's almost SWYPO for me, in that it just makes me want real soy sauce. (Soy sauce where I come from is deep, full-bodied, salty, and rich.) Not that I won't use it as such, sometimes, but I'd pay big bucks for someone to make a substitute that has more oomph.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Administrators

I got some coconut aminos sauce from Vita Cost. It's a nice flavor to add to other wise bland food.  What are some other things to use it for and do you count it just a spice? It says a serving size is 1 tsp.

Coconut aminos would be a seasoning.  It is used in dips/sauces/stirfries etc...anywhere that soy sauce would be used.  

• Moderators

Once you get your hands on some coconut aminos, try making the Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever recipe from Melissa Joulwan in Well Fed. She also has a great Hoisin Sauce recipe in Well Fed 2. I highly recommend BOTH of her wonderful, time-saving, super encouraging, delicious recipe-containing cookbooks. The first one was THE thing that got me through my first Whole30. #shamelessfangirl

Once you get your hands on some coconut aminos, try making the Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever recipe from Melissa Joulwan in Well Fed. She also has a great Hoisin Sauce recipe in Well Fed 2. I highly recommend BOTH of her wonderful, time-saving, super encouraging, delicious recipe-containing cookbooks. The first one was THE thing that got me through my first Whole30. #shamelessfangirl

I'll second the Best Stir Fry Sauce Ever. I probably use way too much of it when I make it but it is so good. Great for clearing out the sinuses too. ;)

Archived