Fruit Juice/Puree Popsicles

Maggiedoll

Having just learned that fruit juice jello is compliant (AFTER sealing up all my gelatin in the duct-taped-shut boxes of noncompliant foods that currently live as high and out of reach as possible,) now I'm wondering about popsicles. Homemade ones, with just fruit juice and/or pieces of fruit or fruit puree, maybe also with some coconut. Would they be allowed, or is that swypo?

• Administrators

I think the very fact you're asking is the answer. ;)

They would be SWYPO, in my opinion. Fruit juice is compliant as a sweetener or flavouring agent. Not so much as making jello with it or popsicles.

• Moderators

If you want something fruity, you'd be better off just having a piece of fruit with your meal than either of these options. Fruit juice is allowed, but isn't really intended to be consumed in large quantities, it's supposed to be more to add a little sweetness to a recipe for balance, or maybe a couple of ounces in a glass of sparkling water occasionally for something different to drink. That said, you could make popsicles or gelatin cubes, and I guess they'd be compliant, but you really ought to think about why you feel the need for them. 

Whole30 isn't just about the food you eat, it's about having the healthiest possible relationship with your food. For many, many people, these two things would take the place of desserts and would continue feeding the cravings for sweets that most of us have. 

If you feel like you need to add gelatin to your diet as a supplement, you can buy some that doesn't jell and add it to water, tea, or coffee. Or you could make broth from beef, chicken, or other animal bones, which would provide the same collagen and other nutrients in the gelatin.

If you're considering popsicles because you're looking for something refreshing on a hot day, consider making infused water, or adding a splash of fruit juice to your water, or try out different flavors of iced tea.

Yea.. *sigh* you're right.  And I'm probably just craving the sugar, and rebelling against all the things I can't have. 

But I'm not completely sure that it's wrong that I dislike eating less fruit, and I'm finding it hard to work fruit into meals.  Or am I just making excuses? 

Is it bad that I want to eat fruit as a part of things?  Before I would have had fruit with greek yogurt, or in an eggy porridge, and it would have felt pretty balanced.  Now even if it's something I have along with a meal, it feels isolated, like it doesn't fit in with the rest of what I'm eating.  I think I'd actually feel a similar frustration if I were isolating vegetables in the same way, not being able to mix them with things and cook them in various ways.  (And does that mean that I should make my vegetables more isolated, too?  I'm actually treating vegetables pretty the same way I always do, just with compliant recipes.  Is that increasing my desire to eat like I "normally" would?)

• Administrators

Yea.. *sigh* you're right.  And I'm probably just craving the sugar, and rebelling against all the things I can't have. 

But I'm not completely sure that it's wrong that I dislike eating less fruit, and I'm finding it hard to work fruit into meals.  Or am I just making excuses? 

Is it bad that I want to eat fruit as a part of things?  Before I would have had fruit with greek yogurt, or in an eggy porridge, and it would have felt pretty balanced.  Now even if it's something I have along with a meal, it feels isolated, like it doesn't fit in with the rest of what I'm eating.  I think I'd actually feel a similar frustration if I were isolating vegetables in the same way, not being able to mix them with things and cook them in various ways.  (And does that mean that I should make my vegetables more isolated, too?  I'm actually treating vegetables pretty the same way I always do, just with compliant recipes.  Is that increasing my desire to eat like I "normally" would?)

You can TOTALLY mix the fruits in with your meal!  Stuff a pork loin with apples, raisins and walnuts. Throw grapes or peach chunks on a salad.  Put a bit of applesauce on your pork chop.  Blueberries in an omelette is delicious!  Try the Pina Colada chicken from Wellfed, it has canned pineapple in it.  Or the Indian Cauliflower Rice from Stupid Easy Paleo with pineapple in it (that one is a FAVE at our house!).

I really have to work on meal planning.  I find recipes and start to plan, but end up falling back on things that are familiar.  I garden, so it's easy for me to work vegetables into everything, that's just the natural thing for me to do in the summer when I have overflows.  But fruit-as-part-of-a-meal isn't such a go-to for me, and the things that I have done in the past are mostly noncompliant.  It always seems to take me a while to get accustomed to the idea of a new recipe.    When my SO got a bunch of venison from somebody he works with, it took me more than a year to work up the nerve to pull it out of the deep freezer and actually cook it!  :blink:

For lunch I did end up frying up some plantain to have on a salad along with beef, olives, avocado, and bits of fresh coconut. 

I will definitely try the blueberries in an omelet, that sounds wonderful.  Chasing down more recipes and adding them to SayMmm.  Which may or may not help, I always seem to forget about my recipe collections when it's time to cook!

Meal planning is definitely a big challenge for a lot of people, self included. Once I know what I'm going to make, I LOVE cooking, but the planning part can be tedious. And grocery shopping … arg. That's probably because it's a juggling act figuring out how to shop with my toddler and baby, but I digress ...

What I WANTED to say is that being a gardner, you already have an intimate relationship with the food you're eating, which is something many of us don't have. You understand what it took to produce that food and probably have a pretty good understanding of how that food benefits you. I think if you focus on that relationship with your food, you will think differently about the Whole30. There's no trick to the meal template- it's just a healthy way to eat that satisfies most people without feeding the Sugar Dragon (darn him- it's definitely a him). Eating fruit is pretty much optional, so don't feel like you have to eat it with every meal. But if you are going to eat it, try to incorporate it and use it more like a condiment. Ladyshanny has some excellent suggestions to do just that, and I'm definitely going to try some of them myself!

I like the rules, they keep all of us from veering off the course.  Jello may be mello but Hellooooooo... it's a throwback to pudding pops and Grandmaw's green pistachio jello "SALAD" :D  :P  :D  with canned fruit and faux whipped cream - Cool Whip.

exps17322_TH10230C33D.jpg       5590be09434954485c6f37b0ed01b7cb.jpg?itojello.jpg

I like the rules, they keep all of us from veering off the course.  Jello may be mello but Hellooooooo... it's a throwback to pudding pops and Grandmaw's green pistachio jello "SALAD" :D  :P  :D  with canned fruit and faux whipped cream - Cool Whip.

exps17322_TH10230C33D.jpg       5590be09434954485c6f37b0ed01b7cb.jpg?itojello.jpg

This pic just made me feel icky!

Archived