Your go to meal right now- I need some inspiration

TheDuchess

I am on day 20 and I have finally hit the - I can't think of anything I want to eat right now- wall.  Things have been pretty easy up till now but I have to say that part of my issue is that my husband has been superman about stocking the fridge for me with prepared meats and veggies but the last week we went thru them really quickly and the kids and I were not big fans of the specific veggies that got cooked- our favorites weren't there wha wha wha- the stock at the market just didn't look good so my husband had grabbed substitutes- yes my husband prefers to do the shopping and is more confident cooking simple things like a chicken breast (or maybe its that I hate touching raw meat?- I can make at least three different kinds of pastry and a lovely chocolate souffle but I have to look up how to- chicken breast, sweet potatoe etc)

Anyhow up till this week my favorite go to meal has been spaghetti squash with either steak or chicken thighs topped with a fried egg.  I replaced the squash with brussel sprouts (sliced ad sauteed in ghee) oh my that was delicious, who needs toast when you ca sop up your yolk with buttery brussel sprouts?

Tomorrow I'm going to see if brussel sprouts are back in stock and get some chicken feet so I can make stock (somehow we already went thru the entire pot we made last weekend) and then make Silky Gingered Zucchini Soup (Clothes Make the girl/Well Fed).  I'm hoping that will reinvigorate me a bit since I loved that soup (and don't like eating plain zucchini).

So- what are your favorite go to meals- especially if they are things that you can assemble out of premade items in a snap.  Maybe we can inspire each other?

I always, always, always have a container full of oven roasted veg in my fridge - a mix of whatever veg is at the farm shop I buy from, but generally a mix of cauliflower, broccoli, leeks, Brussels sprouts, carrots, parsnip, red onion & sweet potato (skin on). I add some ghee & some coconut oil, then add any mix of spices I feel like but generally turmeric, cayenne pepper, cumin, garam masala, ginger, then add some freshly chopped garlic & chilli, roast & there you have it.

EVERYTHING tastes better with a side order of roasted veg.....   :wub:  And it's also good with a fried egg on top  :D

Even when the refrigerator and pantry are nearly depleted, I have the components of a compliant meal on hand. (I must be channeling Mom; she could always rustle up a meal on no notice)

I know they are not first choice, but I keep a supply of canned green beans and frozen mixed vegetables (cauliflower, broccoli, carrots). I always have frozen chicken tenderloins.

This is an old Weight Watchers favorite that I have fattened up a bit for W30. I doesn't taste at all like a "desperation dinner."

Lemon Cinnamon Chicken

3 tablespoons  lemon juice

1 teaspoon  ground cinnamon
2-3 tablespoons or more compliant fat, melted
1 pound  skinless boneless chicken breast -- or tenderloins
3 shallots -- thinly sliced
1/2 cup chicken broth

Salt & pepper to taste.

In a shallow dish, blend lemon juice, cinnamon and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Add chicken breast and turn to coat.

Place a small amount of fat in a heavy skillet and place over medium-high heat. Brown chicken breasts, about 3 minutes per side, in the hot skillet. Remove chicken and set aside.

In the same skillet, add shallots and remaining oil. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Stir in chicken broth and deglaze pan. Bring to a boil and cook for about 5 minutes until sauce is syrupy. Place chicken and juices back in the skillet; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Season with salt & pepper to taste.

BTW, I love fried eggs with roasted Brussels sprouts. It's my favorite meal 1.

• Administrators

I usually turn to omelettes stuffed with whatever is in the fridge. But yesterday I couldn't stop thinking about steamed brocoli and scrambled eggs. Not the most stellar looking dinner but warm and a bit creamy and comforting, I predict it becomes my new favorite!

I constantly keep a NNP Kalua Pig in my fridge.  That delicious, salty garlicky pork with a side of roasted broccoli/sweet potatoes/carrots is my go to-don't care anymore meal.

My current OMG FAVORITE meal that requires just a little prep is a stir fry with some meat and sunshine sauce.  Last night it was broccoli, carrots, yellow peppers, water chestnuts, snow peas, spaghetti squash, and pork loin.  I made it with the intention of having leftovers (with rice--reintro attempt!) for lunch today but it was so damn delicious by itself that I didn't want to ruin it with rice.

I'm working on stocking my freezer. I'm making larger portions that I need each night for dinner, separating into portions, and freezing. That way I can grab and go on nights that I have no plan or desire to cook. Last night I made a big pot of chocolate chili...tomorrow I'm making a batch of mango lime chicken.

My go-to fast and easy meal for the past several weeks has been some version of shredded meat, shredded sweet potato, and something green. I've had leftover chicken from making the chicken bastila from Clothes Make the Girl (the whole dish is not Whole30 compliant, but you could make just the poached chicken and be fine), shredded rotisserie chicken, and shredded pork that have been rotated through as the protein. Veggies have been green beans, spinach, broccoli, and sometimes a combination of those. Big spoonful of coconut oil in the skillet, let it get hot, add the sweet potato and protein and stir to coat. Let it go for a minute or so, add the veg, and cook until the veggies are done and everything is hot. Season with whatever you have sitting next to the stove.

Try making a batch of sunshine sauce and a batch of zingy ginger dressing from Well Fed and use both sauces on a plate of food. It turns good stirfry into amazing creamy deliciousness. (And works on the meal I described above.)

If I'm willing to wait a little longer for dinner then scotch eggs are also a favorite. With hardboiled eggs in the fridge, I can pump out half a dozen scotch eggs in the time it takes my oven to preheat. I don't bother dredging them in anything or trying to panfry because that's too much work. I just cover the egg with the meat, slap it on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 20-30min until the meat is cooked through.

Surprisingly, steamed mussels have become a go-to meal for us. Our local Sprouts has frozen mussels that are already cleaned and ready to go in the pot. The Nom Nom Paleo app has a recipe for spiced mussels that involves some chopped shallot and garlic, broth (or wine for non-Whole30), curry powder, some herbs, and ghee to finish the sauce. Toss everything except the ghee and mussels into the pot. Simmer for a few minutes. Crank the heat, toss in the mussels, stir, and slap a lid on. For fresh mussels, they'll be done in about 5 minutes (the frozen take 8-10). Remove mussels from pot, whisk ghee into the sauce, then pour the sauce over the mussels and devour. My husband's reaction: "This is good. This is like... anniversary dinner good." And I could totally throw it together on any weeknight.

• 4 weeks later...

Ooh Munkers that mussel recipe sounds awesome!

At least three meals a week I'll have Well Fed's Sunrise scramble. (Ground pork or poultry, sweet potatoes that sometimes get subbed for frozen butternut squash, apples, and this wonderful eastern european inspired spice mix. Scramble eggs into the mix, or top it with some fried eggs. The combo is unlike anything thing else ive ever made. I usually have it with the zuchinni soup for veggies! And im almost always stocked with the ingredients.

For me, my go to is a whole cooked chicken. This started by accident when I had a whole chicken that was coming up on its date but I had something else planned for dinner. So I roasted it while I was making dinner, chopped it up and put it in the fridge. Now I usually keep a chicken in the fridge all the time. It's great when you need some post-workout fuel, can't stomach the idea of eggs for breakfast, or just need a quick protein to go with some veggies for dinner. It's saved me more than once. Chicken is so versatile. You can eat it straight - hot or cold, over veggies with a sauce or in a soup/stew. Plus you get a wishbone if you cut it carefully - and who doesn't want to make a wish once in a while?? :wub:

• 3 weeks later...

'Loaded' potatoes are always a welcome meal around here....the kids love them and I can get some extra veggies in them lol. Yesterday we did loaded 'smashed' potatoes instead of the usual baked. Load them up with chicken, sausage, or whatever other meat  you have on hand. Toss in some veggies....yesterday was spinach, mushrooms, tomato, onions, lettuce and zucchini with compliant chicken sausage. Fairly quick, and a great way to use up some items that have been hanging around the fridge!

I am on day 3.  I found a recipe for Moroccan Fish that looked interesting but I didn't have all the ingredients so I improvised.  First I put  half an onion thinly sliced and tossed with oil, salt & pepper.  Put in a 425 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes.

While the onions cook, put 1 cup of coconut milk in a saute pan with 1/4 cup of chicken stock.  When the onions are done, add to the sauce and simmer.  I also finely chopped a good amount of fresh kale and added to sauce while it was simmering.

Make a Moroccan spice mix (omit the sugar) and season the   required amount of white fish (I used Basa) then add to the pan.  Pile some of the onion/kale mixture on the fish and partially cover until the fish is done.

This was very good - I didn't go heavy on the spice so the flavours were mild but nice.  I think a little green or red curry paste would also be a nice addition.

I served the fish with steamed asparagus and tomatoes & avocado drizzled with some balsamic.

I have to say that the recipe I posted above is not a 'go-to' since I'm so new to the program, but it certainly could be.  But I do have a 'go-to' from before the program and lo and behold, it is compliant!

Take chicken thighs and season liberally with salt, pepper, oregano, rosemary & thyme.  Drizzle oil (I use avocado) in a baking dish - put chicken skin side down then drizzle a little more oil on top.  Bake uncovered at 375 for 15 minutes; turn and continue cooking until done. 

Whenever I don't know what to make, this is the one I turn to... it's really delicious!

My go-to easy meal: 2 hardboiled eggs, easy raw veggies (carrot, celery, snap peas, cucumber); and THEN the best part (although I get a lot of weird looks at work when I prepare this:  

In a bowl:  sliced banana, 1/2 avocado cubed, sprinkle (tsp) of salted roasted cashews, and a drizzle of coconut milk. 

I "always" have cooked spaghetti squash in the refrigerator; meatballs (Well Fed2) in the freezer; and compliant Marinara sauce in the pantry. No matter the situation, we can have "Paleo Comfort Food" in short order.  We eat this at least twice a week and don't get tired of it.

In a bowl:  sliced banana, 1/2 avocado cubed, sprinkle (tsp) of salted roasted cashews, and a drizzle of coconut milk. 

I gave you a weird look when I read it. Just sayin. :ph34r: hahaha

That's a very interesting combination. What protein do you pair it with?

• Moderators

I gave you a weird look when I read it. Just sayin. :ph34r: hahaha

That's a very interesting combination. What protein do you pair it with?

I think knottsuz is saying that's the side dish with the 2 hardboiled eggs, carrot, celery, snap peas, cucumber.

Use caution though, knottsuz, if this bowl is feeding your sugar dragon. The cashews, coconut milk and banana are all sweet when you get down to it. Check in with yourself on your psychological response.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived