Day 3...struggling with Nausea...compliant soothers?

I am on day 3 of my first Whole30...I am really struggling with feeling nauseated since day 1.  Day 1 I also already got "the headache" but that luckily has not reappeared.  I know I can't take Pepto or tums because of the added sugar, I hate ginger flavor, and peppermint tea doesn't seem to be doing the trick.  Does anyone have any suggestions of stomach soothers that I could try that are compliant?

Day one and day two were pretty much constant with nausea...Today I actually felt ok until I ate lunch...then literally about 5 minutes later I was lightheaded and thought I was going to toss my non-existent cookies.

Here is a look at my meals the last few days.   I am really working on ramping up breakfast (I know I need more protein there) However, prior to this my "breakfast" consisted of a glass of juice or almond milk.   I still have a hard time eating "food" before about 10 am, but I am forcing it to happen.  Actually right now I feel like I am having to force myself to eat most of the time as even thinking about food can trigger the "ugh" feeling or make it worse.  Prior to the entire Whole30 I was probably eating 5-6 small meals a day and I ate whole grains, dairy, and I love hard cider and chocolate.  White flour and sugar were already long gone from my house, but coconut sugar, honey, etc were used in place of that.

I am drinking water with lemon, unsweetened green tea, and La Croix.

Day 1

breakfast: (I was planning on hardboiling eggs the night before, but dropped the entire carton...had to grab some the next day)
Banana
2 Dates

Very small handful of raw almonds

Lunch:

1 cup compliant Turkey Taco Meat

1 cup lettuce leaves

5 mini bell peppers
1/4 sweet potato

Dinner:

4 1.5 inch compliant turkey/chicken meatballs with an egg mixed in and cooked in coconut oil

1.5 cups homemade compliant marinara with added bell peppers, carrots, and zucchini

Day 2

Breakfast

1 hard boiled egg

Banana

Very small handful of almonds

Lunch:
1 cup of compliant Tuna Salad

1 medium avocado

5 mini bell peppers

Small handful baby carrots

Dinner:

compliant Paleo Beef Stroganoff with olives on top of Zoodles (Hubbs is allergic to mushrooms sadly)

Large serving of steamed brussels drizzled with Balsamic and avocado oil

Day 3:

Breakfast

2 hardboiled eggs

Banana
Apple

3 mini peppers

Lunch:
Leftover Stroganoff and zoodles with around 4 brussles tossed in

1/2 cup of compliant Sweet Potato/apple/chicken sausage hash

Fresh Pineapple, probably about a cup

10 green olives

I honestly don't even want to think about it....but dinner plans tonight are for chicken breasts cut into strips, dipped in egg and a little almond/coconut flour, with roasted sweet potato wedges with a compliant mustard sauce for dipping and some mini peppers on the side.

I know I for sure need to up the protein in my breakfasts, but right now I need something that is compliant that might help soothe my stomach.  I am miserable at work and it is affecting my performance....

Hellllllp!

Bone broth?  Mashed potato or mashed sweet potato?

As you work on your breakfast, don't let fruit push veggies off your plate (In general, I would up the veggies at all your meals). When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks, that's at least 3 eggs.  

A serving size of fruit is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.  Aim for 1-2 servings a day.

Might you be coming down with a cold? 

• Administrators

Sorry you aren't feeling well!  

You do seem to be eating a lot of raw peppers and those can be pretty hard on your gut.  Nausea is generally a symptom of an irritated stomach.

You can try taking a glass of water and putting a tbsp or so of apple cider vinegar in it, that could help.  If your stomach is already distressed, maybe don't bread the chicken in nuts tonight either, nuts are digestively distressing to some folks to and no sense compounding the issue.

Bone broth?  Mashed potato or mashed sweet potato?

As you work on your breakfast, don't let fruit push veggies off your plate (In general, I would up the veggies at all your meals). When eggs are your sole protein, the serving size is the number of eggs you can hold in one hand. For most folks, that's at least 3 eggs.  

A serving size of fruit is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist.  Aim for 1-2 servings a day.

Might you be coming down with a cold? 

Thank you for your advice!  I hadn't thought of bone broth...that might be nice to sip on.  

I have tiny hands and can barely hold 2 eggs.  lol  This is my first whole 30 and it is most certainly a learning process.  Aside from the nausea I am already sleeping better though which is great!

A cold is always possible, but I do not have a fever or body aches.  Crossing my fingers that is not the case as I really can't afford to miss work.

Sorry you aren't feeling well!  

You do seem to be eating a lot of raw peppers and those can be pretty hard on your gut.  Nausea is generally a symptom of an irritated stomach.

You can try taking a glass of water and putting a tbsp or so of apple cider vinegar in it, that could help.  If your stomach is already distressed, maybe don't bread the chicken in nuts tonight either, nuts are digestively distressing to some folks to and no sense compounding the issue.

Thank you!  My plan has been to have a main veggie each week...I don't have a ton of storage as I share a refrigerator with my inlaws right now, but maybe I will try and switch it up more often.  I cannot wait until our house is ready to live in so that I can have my own kitchen again!

With the earlier suggestion dinner might turn into chicken noodleless soup...although even that idea is making my tummy quiver right now.  

Nausea, especially in the morning, can also be a symptom of elevated cortisol. A good dose of protein at breakfast is the best way to get those levels down and, hopefully, reduce the symptoms. I know first-hand that that's hard though. I've been consistently eating breakfast since November and most mornings I'm still having a staring contest with my plate. Experiment with your meals. I rarely eat eggs in the morning because the thought usually makes me gag. Green veggies help cut through the meat and fat and make my meal feel lighter. I'm a fan of cabbage or even saurkraut first thing in the morning.

What did your protein consumption look like prior to Whole30? Did the sugar and grains maybe push it off your plate? If so, part of your struggle might be your body figuring out how to digest and utilize the protein that you're eating now. You might consider taking a digestive enzyme and see if that helps.

Nausea, especially in the morning, can also be a symptom of elevated cortisol. A good dose of protein at breakfast is the best way to get those levels down and, hopefully, reduce the symptoms. I know first-hand that that's hard though. I've been consistently eating breakfast since November and most mornings I'm still having a staring contest with my plate. Experiment with your meals. I rarely eat eggs in the morning because the thought usually makes me gag. Green veggies help cut through the meat and fat and make my meal feel lighter. I'm a fan of cabbage or even saurkraut first thing in the morning.

What did your protein consumption look like prior to Whole30? Did the sugar and grains maybe push it off your plate? If so, part of your struggle might be your body figuring out how to digest and utilize the protein that you're eating now. You might consider taking a digestive enzyme and see if that helps.

Breakfast is sooo hard.  I know I am definitely consuming more protein in the morning than I ever have before. I loooove eggs, but I prefer them scrambled (preferably with cheese and avocado....oh dear Lord I already miss cheese...it is the one food that the mere thought of doesn't make my stomach churn, but I will not give in!!!!) and I do not have the opportunity to do that in the mornings right now.  I would wake the entire house up, which is why I opted for HB.  

Prior to this as I said, "breakfast" was probably a glass of some liquid...either juice or milk of some sort...then I would have a snack of nuts or something around 10.  Lunch was usually a turkey, chicken, or roast beef sandwich or a salad with chicken or turkey and some soup with some veggies or kettle chips on the side, or leftovers from the night before...however since we are living with my inlaws right now there are not often leftovers to take. Snack number 2 of fruit and/or some nuts in the afternoon, Dinner was usually a protein probably a chicken breast (admittedly with either a dipping sauce or cooked in a sauce), a startch/carb either rice, rice/whole wheat pasta, quinoa, or a whole wheat roll, and a side of some kind of veg.  And then usually another snack after getting back from the gym...usually a vegan protein shake with almond milk.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and support!

• Administrators

Breakfast is sooo hard.  I know I am definitely consuming more protein in the morning than I ever have before. I loooove eggs, but I prefer them scrambled (preferably with cheese and avocado....oh dear Lord I already miss cheese...it is the one food that the mere thought of doesn't make my stomach churn, but I will not give in!!!!) and I do not have the opportunity to do that in the mornings right now.  I would wake the entire house up, which is why I opted for HB.  

Prior to this as I said, "breakfast" was probably a glass of some liquid...either juice or milk of some sort...then I would have a snack of nuts or something around 10.  Lunch was usually a turkey, chicken, or roast beef sandwich or a salad with chicken or turkey and some soup with some veggies or kettle chips on the side, or leftovers from the night before...however since we are living with my inlaws right now there are not often leftovers to take. Snack number 2 of fruit and/or some nuts in the afternoon, Dinner was usually a protein probably a chicken breast (admittedly with either a dipping sauce or cooked in a sauce), a startch/carb either rice, rice/whole wheat pasta, quinoa, or a whole wheat roll, and a side of some kind of veg.  And then usually another snack after getting back from the gym...usually a vegan protein shake with almond milk.

Thanks again everyone for the suggestions and support!

Have you tried scrambling your eggs in the microwave? I find that they turn out just fine and topped iwth some avocado and some chopped up tomato, are quite delightful.

I usually put them in the microwave and set the timer for about a minute.  Stir them around every 10 seconds until they are the texture you enjoy (I like mine a bit wetter/creamier).  Usually takes less than a minute!

Have you tried scrambling your eggs in the microwave? I find that they turn out just fine and topped iwth some avocado and some chopped up tomato, are quite delightful.

I usually put them in the microwave and set the timer for about a minute.  Stir them around every 10 seconds until they are the texture you enjoy (I like mine a bit wetter/creamier).  Usually takes less than a minute!

Hmmmm....maybe I could bring a carton and stick it in the work fridge...we have plenty of mugs.  Bedrooms are right off the kitchen...so beeping still would be an issue at home.  Usually I am tiptoeing out the door at 5 a.m. and try to open both the refrigerator and the front door without making noise.

I just came here to ask the exact same thing. I get so nauseated just looking at protein at breakfast. I have no problem with a smoothie, gluten free toast or a paleo mug muffin but eggs/meat in the morning... Yuck. I plan on starting tommorow so glad I read this

There are some here who find a breakfast of real food proteins, good dietary fats and vegetables to be an absolute dream come true.  I eat salmon, trout, beef, pork and eggs, at least 3 cups of roasted vegetables for breakfast.  Some mornings it is 4 eggs but always 3.  

My yuck, I need a bucket moments are reserved for the thought of falling back into bowls of pasta, pizza and refined carbs that would bring T2 Diabetes right back to my door.  

Try eating breakfast like a truck driver and see what it can do for you. A single hard boiled egg here and there with raw vegetables would make me nauseous.  

I use eggs for all my leftovers.  I throw one on top any protein I reheat in the oven.  Today I had cod, sauteed broccoli and organic carrots.  I threw eggs on top of my fish when the fish was almost done.  I make a lemon balsamic reduction that I used over all of my breakfast.

I use fruit as part of my meal.  I threw fresh blackberries in with the broccoli and carrots while they were cooking...with my lemon balsamic reduction, lions and Tiger Blood, oh my. 

I can say that I don't eat eggs alone but always with another quality protein.  Eating eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner without other proteins would not not contribute to my satiety level like other proteins do.   I use eggs like condiments.  They're always there but alongside salmon, trout, tuna, cod, perch, beef, pork, wild game, bison, etc. 

Eggs are nature's pills for whatever is ailing you but they need 'friends'.

Okay - I am a fairly long term migraine sufferer.  Along with the migraine itself comes nausea.  Like really bad nausea.  Now the whole 30 has done wonders for me on a whole.  But I still get them from time to time.  Definitely not as bad as I used to.

So I have found what helps with the nausea are the following:

Ginger or mint tea 

Mashed sweet potato - I usually microwave a half at a time.

I second the scrambled eggs.

bone broth - if nothing else.

apples

Within a migraine there is usually one full day where I don't eat properly at all.  I will just simply do the best I am able to to nourish myself with what I am able to keep down.

And when you are feeling better - definitely eat more during your meal one.  Especially protein and fat.  

There are some here who find a breakfast of real food proteins, good dietary fats and vegetables to be an absolute dream come true.  I eat salmon, trout, beef, pork and eggs, at least 3 cups of roasted vegetables for breakfast.  Some mornings it is 4 eggs but always 3.  

My yuck, I need a bucket moments are reserved for the thought of falling back into bowls of pasta, pizza and refined carbs that would bring T2 Diabetes right back to my door.  

Try eating breakfast like a truck driver and see what it can do for you. A single hard boiled egg here and there with raw vegetables would make me nauseous.  

I use eggs for all my leftovers.  I throw one on top any protein I reheat in the oven.  Today I had cod, sauteed broccoli and organic carrots.  I threw eggs on top of my fish when the fish was almost done.  I make a lemon balsamic reduction that I used over all of my breakfast.

I use fruit as part of my meal.  I threw fresh blackberries in with the broccoli and carrots while they were cooking...with my lemon balsamic reduction, lions and Tiger Blood, oh my. 

I can say that I don't eat eggs alone but always with another quality protein.  Eating eggs for breakfast, lunch and dinner without other proteins would not not contribute to my satiety level like other proteins do.   I use eggs like condiments.  They're always there but alongside salmon, trout, tuna, cod, perch, beef, pork, wild game, bison, etc. 

Eggs are nature's pills for whatever is ailing you but they need 'friends'.

Thanks for the advice!  I am sure some people do love big breakfasts in the morning!  I am just unfortunately not one of them.  Even as a kid my mom would have to pack things for me to take with me to school for breakfast because she couldn't get me to eat in the mornings.  

If I was doing breakfast for dinner no problem with portions that size ;)

I have tried doing bacon, or roast beef in the morning the last couple of days and even that is really hard for me to look at and I've only managed a bite or two before having to turn away...I have upped it to two hard boiled eggs in the morning though and as soon as I run out, which should be tomorrow morning...I am going to try switching to an egg mug and mixing in some other meat protein...hide it so to speak.  I just want to finish off the hard boiled eggs so that nothing goes to waste...and so that I have room in our part of the fridge.  :) My husband won't touch eggs with a 10 foot pole unless they are in Pad Thai or he can't recognize that they are there, so any egg consumption that isn't mixed in is up to me. 

I think half my problem has been adjusting to actually eating food in the mornings.  I dropped the raw peppers at breakfast and lunch and switched them for carrots.  I have been feeling a little better since I did that...still a little "woozy" directly after lunch, but not feeling like I'm going to hurl if I move too fast.  Still munching on them at dinnertime, but they don't seem to bother me after I have had a few meals in my system.  I've been really good about not snacking too...which is hard since I used to have a mid morning, and and afternoon, and an after dinner....

• Administrators

Thanks for the advice!  I am sure some people do love big breakfasts in the morning!  I am just unfortunately not one of them.  Even as a kid my mom would have to pack things for me to take with me to school for breakfast because she couldn't get me to eat in the mornings.  

If I was doing breakfast for dinner no problem with portions that size ;)

I have tried doing bacon, or roast beef in the morning the last couple of days and even that is really hard for me to look at and I've only managed a bite or two before having to turn away...I have upped it to two hard boiled eggs in the morning though and as soon as I run out, which should be tomorrow morning...I am going to try switching to an egg mug and mixing in some other meat protein...hide it so to speak.  I just want to finish off the hard boiled eggs so that nothing goes to waste...and so that I have room in our part of the fridge.   :) My husband won't touch eggs with a 10 foot pole unless they are in Pad Thai or he can't recognize that they are there, so any egg consumption that isn't mixed in is up to me. 

I think half my problem has been adjusting to actually eating food in the mornings.  I dropped the raw peppers at breakfast and lunch and switched them for carrots.  I have been feeling a little better since I did that...still a little "woozy" directly after lunch, but not feeling like I'm going to hurl if I move too fast.  Still munching on them at dinnertime, but they don't seem to bother me after I have had a few meals in my system.  I've been really good about not snacking too...which is hard since I used to have a mid morning, and and afternoon, and an after dinner....

Keep trying the breakfast, it sounds like you are committed to getting there!  Your body will eventually get on board.  That is a long time of habitual non breakfast eating to correct, could take some time and no wonder you aren't super jazzed about morning eating!  You can correct that though and your hormones and body functions will thank you!  :)

Okay - I am a fairly long term migraine sufferer.  Along with the migraine itself comes nausea.  Like really bad nausea.  Now the whole 30 has done wonders for me on a whole.  But I still get them from time to time.  Definitely not as bad as I used to.

So I have found what helps with the nausea are the following:

Ginger or mint tea 

Mashed sweet potato - I usually microwave a half at a time.

I second the scrambled eggs.

bone broth - if nothing else.

apples

Within a migraine there is usually one full day where I don't eat properly at all.  I will just simply do the best I am able to to nourish myself with what I am able to keep down.

And when you are feeling better - definitely eat more during your meal one.  Especially protein and fat. 

Thank you very much!  I sipped on bone broth yesterday almost like it was tea in the morning and I think it helped.  Tried a bite or two of bacon and couldn't stomach anymore so the "liquid nutrition" while I know it isn't ideal for satiety, really helped to keep my stomach from revolting.  And I still had my HB eggs and a banana.

This morning I had about a 1/4 of a sweet potato with my banana and two HB eggs....tried a bite or two of roast beef and that wasn't happening...

Slowly but surely I think...

I just came here to ask the exact same thing. I get so nauseated just looking at protein at breakfast. I have no problem with a smoothie, gluten free toast or a paleo mug muffin but eggs/meat in the morning... Yuck. I plan on starting tommorow so glad I read this

Now that I am 5 days in it is a little better...not much but a little.  Like I said, when I run out of HB eggs I am going to try throwing in some other proteins and make a scrambled egg mug...I think I could get that down easier :)  Good luck!!!!

Nuts might be hard on your system, can you use another fat? A couple spoonfuls of coconut oil maybe?

As your body is switching from sugar burner to fat burner and that can be a tough transition. Hang in there!

Thanks!  I actually haven't had nuts by themselves since Day two...those first couple of days they were one of the few things that didn't make me want to die just by looking at it :)  I haven't tried just straight coconut oil...sounds like something I will have to try :)

For me, cooked eggs are much easier on the stomach than hard boiled eggs.   If you could start out with only one cooked egg alongside some bacon, you might get hooked. Over easy is easy on the belly. I like hard boiled eggs when they're freshly peeled but not after several days of sitting in the fridge. They don't seem to age very well.

Cooked eggs, bacon/protein... hot out of the skillet with your sweet or white potato seem to go straight into your bloodstream and give you a burst of energy.  If you'll slowly edge up on breakfast, you mind find yourself standing at the stove almost ready to eat everything out of the skillet.

I'm like that with fish.  I can't wait for it to bake or grill.  I'm becoming a grizzly bear.  I could stand in the river and let one fly into my mouth.

article-1300886-0AB45EA1000005DC-603_964

During my first (and only, to date) W30, I had the same problem with nausea in the mornings, not wanting to eat. I didn't do anything drastic, just kept to the template as much as I could, with faith that it would get better. It did. I used to eat fruit, granola, and dairy every morning, and pat myself on the back for how healthy I was eating! I have found my new perfect breakfast, though: sweet potato, huge pile of mixed greens with three over-easy eggs on top, and half an avocado. I finished my W30 two months ago, and I still eat this every morning.

Hang in there, your body will adjust.

Try sparkling water with lemon, mint, and some freshly grated ginger (you won't notice the ginger because of the lemon).  Try that for nausea.

Tried this and it was great!  I apparently just don't like "ginger" tea or ginger flavored things (I have tried ginger chews in the past for upset stomach and bleh)

Fresh ginger was yummo!

Archived