Starting June 8! Who's with me?

klack

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning and Happy Day 9!! Today will be a test of commitment, endurance, and strength for me. I looked back over my first week and I noticed that I abusing almond butter so I have decided to forgo it for the remainder of my whole 30. I woke up feeling kind of bloated and felt myself go to that place of critizing my body and in a sense grateful that I don't get to weigh myself because i feel like it would be up. 

Today I have an all day work meeting with adults AHHHH!!!! lol. Its a teacher training and its from 8:30 to 4. I never realized how active I am with my students every day until Im not at work. I wear a fitbit and normally between work and the gym i get about 15-17k steps in a day. Since it is the summer I have to work hard to get that many. At the meeting today there will be ALOT of food lunch provided and snacks. My P is a food pusher and it shows. However I am going prepared with my own lunch and compliant snacks should i need them. Pre workout meal before the gym this am was banana, blueberries, almond, coconuts chips in almond milk, M1 was chicken apple sausage with 2 eggs over spinach with a side of cantaloupe. Im hopeful that my protein rich breakfast will hold me over until lunch. Being a a meeting with other adults and sitting for such a long period of time makes me sooooo bored. I am prepared to take as many walks as i Need to.

Have a wonderful day 9....Im so ready for the tiger blood magic to happen

Sarah

... I looked back over my first week and I noticed that I abusing almond butter so I have decided to forgo it for the remainder of my whole 30....

...Pre workout meal before the gym this am was banana, blueberries, almond, coconuts chips in almond milk...

First off well done on recognising that the almond butter is a problem for you.

Secondly, preWO aim for a lean protein & fat - a hard boiled egg, or some chicken & olives/guac, that kind of thing.

Eating fruit pre work-out is sending a message to your brain that it can burn liver glycogen stores as there are plenty more supplies on the way. That's not the message you want to be sending!!

Good luck with your meeting!

Anyone else still  craving sweets?  I thought that by now I wouldn't have cravings for sugar.  I am definitely a sugar addict (one of the main reasons I wanted to do the Whole30).  But I thought by day 9 I would have some relief.  I seem to notice it only between breakfast and lunch.  Almost every morning M1 has been eggs (usually 2) with compliant bacon, half an avocado and a small amount of fruit.  I also drink a ton of water every day.  100+ ounces.  But for the last 3 days my sugar dragon is flaring!  Any suggestions or tweaks?

• Moderators

Anyone else still  craving sweets?  I thought that by now I wouldn't have cravings for sugar.  I am definitely a sugar addict (one of the main reasons I wanted to do the Whole30).  But I thought by day 9 I would have some relief.  I seem to notice it only between breakfast and lunch.  Almost every morning M1 has been eggs (usually 2) with compliant bacon, half an avocado and a small amount of fruit.  I also drink a ton of water every day.  100+ ounces.  But for the last 3 days my sugar dragon is flaring!  Any suggestions or tweaks?

Try tweaking your meal 1 for a few days to 3 eggs, bacon, avocado, a bunch of veggies, no fruit. Many people find that having fruit early in the day sets them up for cravings and other issues later in the day, and we always want you to have vegetables at every meal.

I sometimes blend spinach with my eggs to get green eggs, and then just scramble them, maybe add some sautéed zucchini or summer squash (these would be really good sautéed in bacon fat, if you've saved the fat from cooking your bacon).

Wow guys, I go out of town for a few days and I have to catch up on PAGES of posts!  BRAVO!

Allistrang - I am still fantasizing about red velvet cake and oreos.  It's worse at night.  I know I've been eating too much fruit lately, so I'm going to cut fruit out completely for a while, hoping that will help stop the cravings.  I feel ya, sister!

Sunday night we went to this fancy steakhouse in Seattle, so I was pretty sure I could find a compliant meal (steak, steamed veg, done), so I started asking the waitress a few questions when she blurted out "Are you doing a Whole 30?!!?!?"  She has done THREE Whole30's!  It was awesome, because she spoke with the chefs and made sure my meal was 100% compliant.  My husband "caved" at the warm herb ciabatta bread she brought to the table (we were a party of six), but he's still committed to eating the meals I cook for him, so even though he's no longer on the Whole30, at least he's eating his veggies.

I stayed strong and resisted the crab-artichoke dip.  I think I deserve a metal.

Still feeling REALLY tired!  It was a really busy weeked of travelling and being out, so I unintentionally skipped lunches on Sunday and Monday.  Not good!  Glad to be home and back to our usual routine so I can get my solid 3 meals in.  I HATE being that hungry!!!

You all rock - WE ROCK - hang in there, y'all!!!!  Let's get through the week and then it's all uphill from there!!!

Today I was craving sweets more than any other day thus far!! But huge NSV was that I remained committed to myself and my plan during the entire work day. Upon arriving at 8:30 AM!!!! There were 4 bowls of candy on the table. Really? This is the craziness we live in. In the past i would have been head first in the bowls or white knuckle resisting and resenting. But it was different when i noticed mid mornign hunger I had my small serving of nuts. At lunch they had sandwhiches and chips and sodas. Again remained committed to my M2 which was the chicken stirfry. I did have some fruit with it. I noticed how after lunch my teaching partner who had the provided lunch got very sleepy and cranky. I did not. I am grateful. Tonights dinner is the shepards pie and salad. I am feeling little tired and more so bored which makes me want to sleep to avoid mindless snacking. 

only 21 days left!! 

If you'd like to post a few days worth of food/liquid intake, along with sleep/activity/stress levels we could take a look and see what you could change to make you feel better. Historically days 7-10 are the hardest and the stage at which most people quit, but just hang in there - it could be as simple as adding more starchy veg to your meals, drinking more water, or adding protein....

The first few days I followed the 7-Day Meal Plan in the Whole30 book. I had so many left overs because I live alone that I just ate them the rest of the week for various meals. I've been pretty good at eating the portion size of protein. I've had hard boiled eggs a few times for either breakfast or lunch along with veggies and approved dips like the herbed mayo and the guac. I'm struggling with the amount of food to eat. If I'm trying to reprogram my brain into eating only when I'm hungry then why can't I eat less when I'm not hungry? That part doesn't make sense to me. I know I want to prevent myself from getting to the point of just grabbing the wrong thing, but I think it's a little over the top. I've been drinking at least 65 oz of water each day which is 1/2 my body weight. I haven't had the energy to work out at all, so I haven't done any pre or post work out meals. What starchy vegetables would I add? Sorry to sound like a whiner, but i am frustrated. Thanks for your help

So, I don't want to eat ALL of the things, but I'm definitely having a few more cravings than I was last week. So far I've been able to stay strong and I stopped by the store to get some SF bacon (score!), some compliant kombucha (nectar of the gods!!!) and some radishes to fry up in ghee (nomnomnom) to get me through days ten and eleven since they're supposed to be the hardest, most, "You shall not pass!" sort of days.

I've got one kind of cool non scale victory going on that I was surprised to discover yesterday. I've had Keratosis Pilaris (aka "Chicken Skin," lovely moniker, I know) on the backs of my arms for ages. I can manage it with a heck ton of exfoliation, but what can I say? I've been lazy lately and it's been acting up. However, I noticed yesterday that it is MUCH smoother than usual - about what it is if I'm actually taking the time to treat it. I'd read this could happen, but I didn't think it would happen until much later in the process. So that's cool!

We've got this guys! Let's press onward and upward! We're already this far in, why quit now?

For everyone struggling with meal prep, I would definitely recommend Well Fed. Aside from being a great cookbook FULL of W30 compliant recipes, she goes over her grocery, prep, and daily cooking strategies. She has very specific advice and also helps you calculate how much protein and vegetables you'll need weekly. Getting stuff like that planned out before I went to the grocery store was awesome- I bought just what I'll need for the week.

I've been struggling with food prep too- I honestly think it was one of the scariest things about starting a Whole30. Living in the city without a car also makes it rough to get groceries for big cooking batches, but I am getting better. Living in the city also means passing bakeries, cafes, and specialty shops all the time- I had gotten used to grabbing a muffin, bagel, or scone every day simply out of convenience- not because I had to have it, but because it was the easiest thing.

Tonight for dinner I had a "hot plate" of mashed sweet potatoes with coconut milk, a medley of steamed vegetable, seasoned ground beef, and sunshine sauce- like peanut sauce but with sunflower butter! All I had to do was put all the ingredients on a plate and throw it in the microwave. I have to say I am not missing takeout at all, and I have the time and energy to do chores after work, when I rarely did before!

I think that the 7 day meal plan in the Whole30 book is a ton of food for one person- I was able to get 4 big meals (one for my boyfriend and 3 for me) from the spaghetti squash and tomato sauce with ground beef alone! Beverage- good for you for sticking to it, but I don't think you have to feel bad- You're eating compliant food, and you have leftovers! Hopefully this just means you won't have to cook as much next week  :)

Hi all and congrats for surviving day 9!

M1: roasted nuts, guava, arugula and eggs

M2: chorizo and lettuce, beets, carrots, egg salad with oo

M3: pork and roasted potatoes

Love all your posts is fun reading them! For the ones with the sugar cravings you need to stop eating fruits for a while, it will help. good job all!'

Hello Day Niners! :)  Today I felt much more like myself for most of the day, am hoping this means the energy surge is on the way. I'm working on getting my food prep set in my head as a habit instead of one more thing I have to add on the end of my day before bed.  I have to admit, having the week planned out so I know what I need ready for the next day has soothed my sense of order.  I'm also enjoying trying out new recipes and realizing a whole world of excellent food that has been neglected in favor of convenience.

Tonight I decided to take on the challenge of mayonnaise.  I had been avoiding it, I have definitely had my issues with sauces and such before.  Much to my surprise it turned out well and I have a lovely container of mayo in the refrigerator.  Amazing! :)

I also had a learning experience with dinner.  While I was getting my leftovers out for dinner, I saw that there was still a ruby red grapefruit in the refrigerator so I cut out the segments and added some flaked coconut and a few chopped almonds.  Within minutes after eating that I noticed that I had become extremely irritable and was getting a headache.  Fruit and I are not friends at the moment.  I'm hoping that reaction didn't set me back on the way to feeling good.

M1: leftover veggies scrambled in eggs (sugar snap peas, mushrooms, water chestnuts), with a side of sliced sweet potato

M2: coconut shrimp, baby carrots, cherry tomatoes, coconut water

M3: coconut shrimp, sweet potato mash, grapefruit, coconut flakes, chopped pecan

On the recipes in the book and in the forum - feeds 2ish is definitely open for interpretation, lol.  The shrimp recipe was supposed to make two servings, but we ate two full meals plus my lunch before it was done.  Good thing it was tasty. :)

The first few days I followed the 7-Day Meal Plan in the Whole30 book. I had so many left overs because I live alone that I just ate them the rest of the week for various meals. I've been pretty good at eating the portion size of protein. I've had hard boiled eggs a few times for either breakfast or lunch along with veggies and approved dips like the herbed mayo and the guac. I'm struggling with the amount of food to eat. If I'm trying to reprogram my brain into eating only when I'm hungry then why can't I eat less when I'm not hungry? That part doesn't make sense to me. I know I want to prevent myself from getting to the point of just grabbing the wrong thing, but I think it's a little over the top. I've been drinking at least 65 oz of water each day which is 1/2 my body weight. I haven't had the energy to work out at all, so I haven't done any pre or post work out meals. What starchy vegetables would I add? Sorry to sound like a whiner, but i am frustrated. Thanks for your help

For starchy veg try all varieties of potato, parsnips, beets, squash, turnip, plantains, pumpkin, yams etc.

Most people struggle with training in the first two weeks until their body becomes fat adapted so give it a day or so and you should be feeling better.

As for eating when hungry, if you really can't eat a template meal then eat evenly around the plate (rather than eating say all of the protein...) then pack up what you can't eat to keep as a mini meal to eat immediately you feel able. Your capacity to eat in volume will eventually increase and you'll surprise yourself as to how much you can put away!!

Day 10 ... and still going! Feeling very good but a little tired. I met 2 friends for dinner last night. As I went into the restaurant, I thought, "a glass of wine, no big deal". But I quickly said NO to myself. I do hate everyone's comments when I order - as I'm frequently trying to "be good" with my food. But I just went ahead with my choices ( big salad w plain piece of salmon and o/v dressing on the side) and felt VERY good. I think people feel uncomfortable if they want to eat "BIG" and someone at the table orders a salad. Oh well...I had what I wanted and they had their choices. All was very fine. I haven't had much time to cook but luckily my hubbie loves to cook and will usually be happy to do dinner. He gets home much earlier than me, usually.

Well, everyone, we are 1/3 of the way there. YAHOO! Let's keep on going

I made it to day 10. Giving up the diet coke has been hard but I'm craving carbonation a little less every day. The biggest surprise to me is how much more flavor I'm tasting in even the simplest of foods. I used to think carrot sticks tasted a little musty but I had a carrot stick last night and was almost overcome by the intense sweetness! Still having bizarre dreams not about food but nightmares really. Hope that settles down soon. I even did a yoga session today...I can't remember the last time I woke up early enough to do that before work. I'm so thankful for whole30

Happy day 10 everyone!

Today, I'm trying to eat 4 small meals instead of an afternoon snack because around 4PM I keep finding myself reaching for the almonds. Here's the plan (I've slightly downsized the sizes of the meals from previously):

M1 (around 8AM): Sausage, butternut squash, onion and mushroom hash 
M2 (around noon): crock pot shredded buffalo chicken, coleslaw salad
M3 (around 4PM):  chocolate chili, avocado, cherries and strawberries

M4 (around 730PM): garlic shrimp with zucchini noodles, half a banana

Happy day 10! Yesterday was a funky feeling day. I felt very bloated and had a horrible headache. not sure what may have triggered that but I'm still moving forward. Committed to myself more than ever! On Friday my girlfriends and I are going out to celebrate one of their birthdays. WE are going to a new pizza and speak easy. Ill admit I most afraid of their comments and peer pressure. Like a few posts before mine said, they will say oh come one its just one drink, its her  birthday! What i eat is really none of their business. So I am going into it with my commitment intact. I will tell them the truth that i am doing a nutritional reset and trying to see what upsets my system. I will also be ordering a soda water and lime. I can still have fun with out pizza and beer. Plus I don't want to turn into a puffer fish lol. So Ill stay in today and commit to my foods and taking care of myself.

m1: 2 eggs, paleo bacon, avocado and pineapple and cantaloupe, black coffee with coconut cream

m2: chicken chili lime burger in bib lettuce with peppers, onions, pico, avocado, side of carrots

m3: chicken stir fry

we are 30% done!!! So proud of all of you!

WAHOOO day 10!!  1/3 down, 2/3 to go!  We got this!

Last night was a bad night for me.  No, I didnt "cheat" or anything, but nearly everything I cooked turned out AWFUL.  And I'm usually a pretty good cook.  The spicy tuna cakes I made from the NomNomPaleo cookbook tasted like straight up sweet potato.  Must have put too much in.  Threw a steak on the grill instead - it was a cheap-o sirloin my husband bought to marinade the heck out of - it was grainy and I couldnt eat it.  I must have looked at the clock wrong because my hardboiled eggs were only about half cooked, and they all cracked in the pan, so I had egg-y water.  Second batch of hardboiled eggs peeled like crap, but I got most (about 2/3) of the egg out and into a bowl.  Whipped up some egg salad so I had something lunch for today.  Made cauliflower garlic mash, but that actually turned out really really good.  The roasted brussel sprouts and yam I made Monday night came out almost burned after only 35 minutes in the oven.

Every night since I started my Whole30 I spend at LEAST 3 hours in the kitchen (sometimes more) and I feel like I have nothing to show for it.  Sure, I made a batch of mayo and ghee.  But that does not take 3 hours.  SIGH I guess I'm just frustrated today and needed to vent.

Thanks for listening to me complain!

Today:

M1: choked down a tuna cake and 2 fried eggs & cup of grape tomatoes

M2: egg salad, cauliflower mash, cucumbers

M3: grilled shrimp skewers & a grilled veg (TBD)

XOXO - L

WAHOOO day 10!!  1/3 down, 2/3 to go!  We got this!

Last night was a bad night for me.  No, I didnt "cheat" or anything, but nearly everything I cooked turned out AWFUL.  And I'm usually a pretty good cook.  The spicy tuna cakes I made from the NomNomPaleo cookbook tasted like straight up sweet potato.  Must have put too much in.  Threw a steak on the grill instead - it was a cheap-o sirloin my husband bought to marinade the heck out of - it was grainy and I couldnt eat it.  I must have looked at the clock wrong because my hardboiled eggs were only about half cooked, and they all cracked in the pan, so I had egg-y water.  Second batch of hardboiled eggs peeled like crap, but I got most (about 2/3) of the egg out and into a bowl.  Whipped up some egg salad so I had something lunch for today.  Made cauliflower garlic mash, but that actually turned out really really good.  The roasted brussel sprouts and yam I made Monday night came out almost burned after only 35 minutes in the oven.

Every night since I started my Whole30 I spend at LEAST 3 hours in the kitchen (sometimes more) and I feel like I have nothing to show for it.  Sure, I made a batch of mayo and ghee.  But that does not take 3 hours.  SIGH I guess I'm just frustrated today and needed to vent.

Thanks for listening to me complain!

Today:

M1: choked down a tuna cake and 2 fried eggs & cup of grape tomatoes

M2: egg salad, cauliflower mash, cucumbers

M3: grilled shrimp skewers & a grilled veg (TBD)

XOXO - L

I agree, I'm spending a ton of time in the kitchen. I spent about 6 hours on prepping/cooking for the week on Sunday to try and help myself out. Even though I'm eating a lot of the same things over and over I'm way less frustrated about spending time making my food. I still spend at least 1.5-2 hours a day portioning out my meals, packing them to take to work, cleaning dishes and small amount time of cooking at dinner. It helps to have most of my proteins already made though.

This is what I made on Sunday (I basically just add more veggies and fruit to make it a meal):

Paleo Chocolate Chili

Crock pot Buffalo Chicken

Roasted butternut squash, onions, mushrooms (which I roast together but store in separate containers)

Pork sausage patties

scrambled eggs cooked in a muffin pan

salt pork bacon crumbles

I also put together my own bagged salad mix (enough for about 4 salads) that already had extra veggies like carrots, cucumber and sugar snap peas. This was super helpful for lunch this week!

It feels so good to have gotten to day 10! it is a big deal 10 days of healthy eating... not many people can do this!

M1: 2 fried eggs + butternut squash

M2: Slow cooked chicken + salad

M3: Grilled steak + salsa + guacamole with plantains 

I cannot believed I haven't attacked lara bars or date rolls from WF... I do not have any desire for sugar and that is unbelievable!

We rock guys!

I agree, I'm spending a ton of time in the kitchen. I spent about 6 hours on prepping/cooking for the week on Sunday to try and help myself out. Even though I'm eating a lot of the same things over and over I'm way less frustrated about spending time making my food. I still spend at least 1.5-2 hours a day portioning out my meals, packing them to take to work, cleaning dishes and small amount time of cooking at dinner. It helps to have most of my proteins already made though.

This is what I made on Sunday (I basically just add more veggies and fruit to make it a meal):

Paleo Chocolate Chili

Crock pot Buffalo Chicken

Roasted butternut squash, onions, mushrooms (which I roast together but store in separate containers)

Pork sausage patties

scrambled eggs cooked in a muffin pan

salt pork bacon crumbles

I also put together my own bagged salad mix (enough for about 4 salads) that already had extra veggies like carrots, cucumber and sugar snap peas. This was super helpful for lunch this week!

Just hopped on the forum because I'm feeling SO good on this Whole30 and NEED people to talk to about it!

Quick intro - I'm a Stay at Home Mom of four, 10, 7, 2 & 10mo.  I have hovered around the same weight for a decade and had a serious Love/Hate relationship with food.  When I discovered Whole30 I jumped in with two feet and boy am I excited about this change.

My detox was VERY rough.  But I made it through - and going through something that difficult sure makes it easy to pass on the homemade enchiladas I made my family last night.  

My favorite consequence of Whole30 so far - the amount of time I have to do housework and play with my kids because I'm NOT eating!

Thanks, misc_tara, I'll try that! Where did you get the recipes for the chili and buffalo chicken? I'd love to have them!!

I used this recipe, I guess it's called Cincinnati chili, but it has cocoa in it!:

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2015/02/24/paleo-cincinnati-chili/

The crockpot buffalo chicken I adapted from a weight watchers recipe I've been using for awhile, I don't have exact amounts because I vary it depending on how many chicken breasts I use but this is it approx.

3 frozen or thawed boneless skinless chicken breasts

1-1.5 cups of your favorite compliant buffalo or hot sauce, I used to use Frank's buffalo sauce but it's made with canola oil so this time I just used Frank's hot sauce so it's a bit spicier than before. 

2 tbs. white vinegar

2 tbs. melted ghee

celery salt or seeds to taste

I mix up the hot sauce, vinegar, ghee and celery seeds in a small bowl and poor it over the chicken in the crock pot. I either cook it on low for about 8 hours or high for 2-3 hours.

Once its cooked I shred it in the crock pot with all the cooking juices.

Enjoy!

Archived