Turnips

SarahB78

Just received three large turnips in my CSA box this week. I have never cooked a turnip. Any ideas? Do I keep the greens or toss?

Come to think or it I am not sure I have ever eaten a turnip so here's to trying something new!

Turnip greens are a Southern thing. They typically cook them down with bacon grease until they're dead but there are all kinds of ways to prep them. They tend to be a bit bitter raw but I'm sure you can find something to fit what you want!

• Moderators

I've never done it with turnip greens, but I like collard greens prepared like the Crisp & Sweet recipe here. I haven't ever actually tried the Creamy & Spicy recipe that's below it, I'm sure it's good, I just got a little stuck on the Crisp & Sweet one. I'm sure turnip greens could be done the same way.

For the turnips themselves, I've really only tried them roasted

Turnip & Apple mash work well together with Pork.

Also I've used turnip mashed along with sweet potato, carrot & parsnip for an alternative topping for cottage pie.

As an aside, the Irish who brought you guys the tradition of Hallowe'en used to use Turnips for their Jack 'o' Lanterns back in the day. The pumpkin was later in America used because it was easier to carve. We continued to use Turnips here until s recently as 5yrs ago when they started harvesting Pumpkins locally.

• Moderators

This link leads to 8 of my recipes that incorporate turnips: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/?s=turnips

I wilt and eat turnip greens all the time. The trick with a strong greens like that of a turnip is to splash them with apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar or balsamic vinegar when preparing them. Spices too, but try some vinegar for sure. 

• 1 month later...

A great turnip recipe is to peel turnips and dice in 1/2 " chunks. Melt 2 tbsp ghee in sauté pan, add 1 finely diced shallot or 2tbsn. finely diced onion. Gently sauté until translucent, not browned. Add diced turnips and mix together. Add approved chicken broth/stock to mostly cover turnips. Salt if needed. Gently simmer about 20-30 minutes until broth is mostly reduced. Stir as needed while cooking. Stir in more ghee and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving. Amounts based on amount of turnips used. This is a French recipe. The smaller and fresher the turnip the better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 6/19/2015 at 5:24 AM, Tom Denham said:

This link leads to 8 of my recipes that incorporate turnips: http://www.wholelifeeating.com/?s=turnips

I wilt and eat turnip greens all the time. The trick with a strong greens like that of a turnip is to splash them with apple cider vinegar or champagne vinegar or balsamic vinegar when preparing them. Spices too, but try some vinegar for sure. 

I love your recipes. I want to try cooking with Turnip Greens, and Collard Greens, any advice? I've never cooked them before.

• Administrators
1 hour ago, Rhonda Dee Lillie said:

I love your recipes. I want to try cooking with Turnip Greens, and Collard Greens, any advice? I've never cooked them before.

This thread is almost 2 years old and Tom is no longer moderating on the forum so I doubt he'll see this message. He did give advice about adding vinegar, what other advice are you looking for? Google is usually a pretty good resource for finding recipes/instructions on how to make things that might be unfamiliar to you.

On 5/24/2017 at 1:40 PM, Rhonda Dee Lillie said:

Hi Rhonda-

I cook collards and turnip greens.  I'll share how I prepare them.

Wash a bunch greens, since I grow them, I usually pick through them and wash and rinse a minimum of 3 times.  Remove the stem- otherwise it will stay tough. 

I cut my greens in approx an inch and a half square.  That makes for easier eating.

You can cook on the stovetop in a stock pot, I prefer a pressure cooker. Either way...

sautee 1 large diced onion in compliant oil of your choice. Until starting to soften

add 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped. Do not let the garlic brown. Cook maybe 2-3 min.

1 quart bone broth- flavor of your choice

(if you are cooking on the stove, add a quart of water and keep an eye on the liquid level so they don't cook dry)

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

salt and pepper

5-7 shakes of Texas Pete's hot sauce

add your greens

stove top- simmer for at least 2 hours, maybe more. Test the greens to see if they are tough.  

Pressure cooker- I cook for 60 minutes on the soup setting and they are perfect

enjoy! 

15 hours ago, MrsZimm13 said:

Hi Rhonda-

I cook collards and turnip greens.  I'll share how I prepare them.

Wash a bunch greens, since I grow them, I usually pick through them and wash and rinse a minimum of 3 times.  Remove the stem- otherwise it will stay tough. 

I cut my greens in approx an inch and a half square.  That makes for easier eating.

You can cook on the stovetop in a stock pot, I prefer a pressure cooker. Either way...

sautee 1 large diced onion in compliant oil of your choice. Until starting to soften

add 4-5 cloves garlic, chopped. Do not let the garlic brown. Cook maybe 2-3 min.

1 quart bone broth- flavor of your choice

(if you are cooking on the stove, add a quart of water and keep an eye on the liquid level so they don't cook dry)

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

salt and pepper

5-7 shakes of Texas Pete's hot sauce

add your greens

stove top- simmer for at least 2 hours, maybe more. Test the greens to see if they are tough.  

Pressure cooker- I cook for 60 minutes on the soup setting and they are perfect

enjoy! 

Wonderful! Thank you!

Archived