Coconut Cream in Coffee (ingredient check)

Lucia01

I had 2 lots of coconut cream already in the cupboard which I planned to use, however looking at the ingredients I can't tell if they are compliant or not:

1) Water, Coconut Extract (78%), Emulsifier: Mono and Diglycerides of Fatty Acids; Stabiliser: Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose 

2) Coconut Extract (68%), Water, Stabilisers (Guar Gum, Carboxymethylcellulose) Emulsifier (Polysorbate 60), Antioxidant (Sodium Metabisulphite)

My husband has gone cold turkey from coffee with milk and sugar to none and has been experiencing headaches - caffein withdrawal is expected I'm sure but we've only just started and if we're going to see it through I need to find something he can drink! He's not a fan of herbal teas and this is a much bigger change for him than me so I think it's only fair to try and make it as 'normal' as possible for him.

You'll want to stay away from both of these products on a Whole30.

Here's a thread about another coconut cream with Sodium Carboxymethylcellulose: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/2622-trader-joes-coconut-cream/

The sodium metabisuphite in the other cream is a sulfite and therefore, non-compliant on a Whole30.

There are plenty of other compliant canned coconut milks out there: keep looking. 

• 2 weeks later...

Waitrose sell organic coconut milk which seems to be fully compliant.    It is quite thick.  So have been having it in coffee and on strawberries.  Its been a lifesaver re coffee.   

That sounds a little bit 'dessert' like to me - you might want to knock that on the head as desserts are off limits on Whole30. If you're looking for a way to finish off a meal try a mug of herbal tea, or a glass of fruit infused water. Or go in the completely opposite direction & try pickles or sauerkraut which will cleanse the palette in exactly the same way. Or you could just clean your teeth.

Yep, this could work, although it should be noted that the recommendation as per the coffee manifesto is to avoid coffee after midday.

Well, I sometimes have an afternoon cup. But I also keep decaf in the house for the times I want a cup later. Doesn't bother my sleep at all. Browsing Whole9 forum has been lately though..... :-)

Protein and fat smother sugar cravings. Coffee can set you up for an appetite reckoning...funny how it works that way.

But if I'm full and I know it's just hedonic hunger, I don't need more food. But I will def watch for that!

• 2 years later...

Archived