July 27 to August 27th

lmccuistion

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Moderators

I would love suggestions on how to add more fat. 

Sauces and dips are great, tasty ways to add fat, and they can totally change the flavor of dishes too, if you ever start to get a little bored.

Chimichurri sauce or Moroccan Dipping Sauce would be good on meat or vegetables. Mayo is an easy one to make, and from it you can make various other dressings.

Scroll down this recipe index for The Clothes Make The Girl and check out the sauces and seasonings section -- many of those will be good ways to add fats, just pick the ones that sound good to you.

You can also just drizzle oil over your meats or vegetables -- plain olive oil, infused olive oils (I've found lemon and garlic infused oils at my local grocery store), or other oils like walnut oil or sesame oil for different flavors.

And don't forget about toasted coconut chips, olives, and avocado.

For more variety in your fats -- compliant bacon, olives, avocado, homemade mayo, fattier cuts of meat, ghee, olive oil, macadamia nut oil, walnut oil, truffle oil if you want to be super fancy.... You can have up to 2 handfuls of olives, which is wonderful in my book! Love olives in salad or as part of a meal plate, you could roast a bunch of veggies in coconut oil, and then drizzle with olive oil before serving -- I have tossed roasted veggies in ghee for my hubby because he likes the flavor of ghee. 

( I would also check and make sure your ham is compliant -- it is really hard to find ham without sugar or other non compliant ingredients)

How many eggs are in your omelette? When eggs are your only source of protein in a meal you should be eating the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most people. A good breakfast will set you up for the rest of the day & maybe help cut out the need for those snacks. Maybe try increasing the fat in each of your meals too - it's not really clear how much you're eating but I'm guessing it's not enough. You may also do well to add in some starchy veg (all varieties of potato, yams, plantains, squash etc) - a fist sized serving per day would be a good place to start...

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions! My first omelette was 3 whole eggs, and my second was 2 since I was also having bacon. 

I think tonight I'll prepare some sweet potato to add to meals and see how that goes, and also try adding some more fat. Perhaps I'll try the sunshine sauce. 

Thanks for the suggestions! My first omelette was 3 whole eggs, and my second was 2 since I was also having bacon

I think tonight I'll prepare some sweet potato to add to meals and see how that goes, and also try adding some more fat. Perhaps I'll try the sunshine sauce. 

Be aware that bacon is a fat source on Whole30, not a protein...!!

I've never made the sunshine sauce myself but I hear it's really good  :) 

Thanks so much for the suggestions. The ham was compliant - it was boiled low sodium ham from Whole foods deli and they assured me no added sugar. 

I will check out those sauces and make mayo! So glad this board is here for support!

Hi!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's logs and I am getting some great meal ideas.

Day two: Not as bad as expected. I did have a mild headache but I was able to get in my P90x3 Warrior workout in and drank 120 oz of water.

Meal 1: Turkey Meatballs with grapes (missed by veggies because I had this meal on the go during a Legal Clinic I was hosting for work)

Meal 2: Guacamole and Carrots (missed protein because I had this meal on the go during a Legal Clinic)

Meal 3: Spicy Italian Sausage (compliant) over a bed of zucchini and sweet potatoes

Meal 4: Blueberries with 2 tb of Almond Butter

My husband is not doing the Whole 30 with me but has been so supportive. Yesterday, he went to trader joes to pick up some items on my list and he went through every single ingredient list and would send me photos of them. He is extremely supportive as I am trying to figure out what is causing my IBS.

Happy Wednesday!

I have a confession to make.  I'm doing really well with staying compliant with meals (yes, I'll start adding veggies for breakfast!), and have not had too many negative side effects thus far.  One of the only vices I have is chewing gum.  I do it pretty much constantly throughout the day, and have since I was a teenager.  I know it's off limits, and I haven't cracked, but is there ANY sort of substitute other than chewing on mint leaves or fennel seeds? (not the same, btw!)  I feel like my mouth is dry and sticky all day.  I am now brushing my teeth after every meal so that I at least feel like I have fresh breath for a few minutes.  I'm a nurse practitioner, so I'm invading people's personal space all the time, and can't stand to think that I have stinky breath.  Is there anything on the gum/breathmint spectrum I could use that is compliant? 

On a happier note...I wanted to use this opportunity to cut back on my caffeine consumption.  My usual routine involved a cup of coffee before/with breakfast and a to-go cup for the office.  Since I'm now neurotic about coffee breath and no gum, I only have one cup in the morning and brush my teeth after breakfast.  So, at least that's something :).

I have a confession to make.  I'm doing really well with staying compliant with meals (yes, I'll start adding veggies for breakfast!), and have not had too many negative side effects thus far.  One of the only vices I have is chewing gum.  I do it pretty much constantly throughout the day, and have since I was a teenager.  I know it's off limits, and I haven't cracked, but is there ANY sort of substitute other than chewing on mint leaves or fennel seeds? (not the same, btw!)  I feel like my mouth is dry and sticky all day.  I am now brushing my teeth after every meal so that I at least feel like I have fresh breath for a few minutes.  I'm a nurse practitioner, so I'm invading people's personal space all the time, and can't stand to think that I have stinky breath.  Is there anything on the gum/breathmint spectrum I could use that is compliant? 

On a happier note...I wanted to use this opportunity to cut back on my caffeine consumption.  My usual routine involved a cup of coffee before/with breakfast and a to-go cup for the office.  Since I'm now neurotic about coffee breath and no gum, I only have one cup in the morning and brush my teeth after breakfast.  So, at least that's something :).

The whole thing about chewing gum is that your digestive system thinks that because you are chewing that food is on it's way, but no food is forthcoming. Your digestive system really needs a rest in between meals, and by chewing constantly that's obviously not happening.

Mouthwash is fine because you're not ingesting it, or there are toothpicks infused with essential oils... Peppermint oil would also work, or chewing cloves, or fennel seeds as you suggested. So long as it's not a constant chewing action you can freshen your breath without sending the wrong signals to your stomach & it won't start getting ready to digest...

Day three....big test/victory....

B:  black hot tea, 3 eggs (thanks for the suggestion), bacon, and berries....I know I need to add veggies....will tomorrow :)

L:  Well Fed Chili with avocado on top, carrots

D:  Salad (steak, grilled peppers and onions, tomatoes, guacamole, lettuce, and cilantro

I had a "lunch" meeting today.  I ate before I went and let the gal hosting know I would have already eaten (no explanation necessary).  I sat at the table with a bowl of chicken salad, a plate of bread, and a plate of cookies in front of me for two hours and was ok not eating anything.  I took a La Croix water and sipped on that throughout the meeting.  Really feels good to be in control  :wub:   Didn't need a nap today....a mild headache, but manageable.  Hope everyone had a good day as well.

Day 3-

M1- 2 hard boiled eggs and green grapes - I'll work on adding veggies starting tomorrow morning.

M2- chili from the book, cherries, green salad with tomatoes and olive oil

M3- new potatoes with OO, salmon with some homemade mayo

I had a drinks party after work for my boss's last day tonight. I avoided all the food and had 3 seltzer waters with lime. The next test is a business lunch on Friday.

Staying strong!

Good to see everyone is still doing so well!! I have felt pretty good other than a little tired. I have been unable to exercise (other than walking) for about the last 6 weeks but I am planning to return to X-fit in the next week or two (I had only been attending for 4 months prior to being sidelined).  I am hoping that following the Whole30 guidelines will help with my return.  Over the past year and a half or so, I have gained 30-40 pounds and this has had a huge impact on my health, as well as my self esteem.  I'm ready to make the necessary changes for myself and to be a better role model for my 3 kids.  This first 30 days is just the beginning of a whole new way of life!!

Hello!  I have enjoyed catching up with those of you who started on Monday the 27th.  I did as well but don't spend much time on the computer, so I am a little late reading and participating in the forum.  So far so good.  last night I had wicked cravings after dinner, and found myself pacing in the kitchen..looking for my lost friend SUGAR!!!  Today, day 3, has been fine.  Iv'e read it can be a doozy.

One  things I have come to realize in the last three days, is what a subconscious eater I am.  Nibbling on the kids food here and there, licking jam off the knife, tasting everything for them.  Wow!  I have stopped myself short many times.. It's been a real eye opener.

The other thing I noticed today is that I am sweaty and clammy all the time.  Anyone else experiencing this?

have a great night!

Day 3-

M1- 2 hard boiled eggs and green grapes - I'll work on adding veggies starting tomorrow morning.

M2- chili from the book, cherries, green salad with tomatoes and olive oil

M3- new potatoes with OO, salmon with some homemade mayo

I had a drinks party after work for my boss's last day tonight. I avoided all the food and had 3 seltzer waters with lime. The next test is a business lunch on Friday.

Staying strong!

You'll also need to work on adding in more protein. A serving of eggs when they are your only source of protein is as many whole eggs as you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most people. Eat a poor breakfast every day and you'll soon start to struggle later in the day. Try mixing your protein sources for better satiety - I like mackerel with eggs, or ground beef but you can have whatever protein you like. And yes, fruit should not be pushing the veggies off of your plate. Fill up on veggies first & if you still have room then have some fruit. Veggies are nutritionally far superior.

Well done on navigating the drinks party!

Hello!  I have enjoyed catching up with those of you who started on Monday the 27th.  I did as well but don't spend much time on the computer, so I am a little late reading and participating in the forum.  So far so good.  last night I had wicked cravings after dinner, and found myself pacing in the kitchen..looking for my lost friend SUGAR!!!  Today, day 3, has been fine.  Iv'e read it can be a doozy.

One  things I have come to realize in the last three days, is what a subconscious eater I am.  Nibbling on the kids food here and there, licking jam off the knife, tasting everything for them.  Wow!  I have stopped myself short many times.. It's been a real eye opener.

The other thing I noticed today is that I am sweaty and clammy all the time.  Anyone else experiencing this?

have a great night!

Be sure you're eating enough protein & fat to stamp out those cravings & not reaching for fruit as this will only feed your dragon. Be aware that a craving is temporary - try some distraction techniques next time - run a bath, make a mug of herbal tea, go for a walk, anything to take your mind off of the food.

The sooner you stop thinking in terms of traditional breakfast, and start thinking in terms of meal one, two & three the quicker you will realise that you can eat anything at meal one that you'd eat at any other time of the day. Take a look at this thread for some inspiration... :)

I'd also suggest upping the size of your meals to negate the need for that snack - you'll see much better results in the long term.

I work nights 7pm-7am so I'm used to eating dinner for breakfast and never really having breakfast-type foods. With that being said the last thing i want to do when i wake up is cook a "dinner." Eggs are simple but gross me out. So i just need to find a combo i like. I woke up today dreading the sweet potato hash which is bad since it's only day three.

As far as meal size I've been eating until i feel full which suprisingly has been pretty quick.

Be aware that bacon is a fat source on Whole30, not a protein...!!

I've never made the sunshine sauce myself but I hear it's really good :)

Bavon is a fat source? What about sausage? Just thinking through my egg-free breakfast ideas. :)

I work nights 7pm-7am so I'm used to eating dinner for breakfast and never really having breakfast-type foods. With that being said the last thing i want to do when i wake up is cook a "dinner." Eggs are simple but gross me out. So i just need to find a combo i like. I woke up today dreading the sweet potato hash which is bad since it's only day three.

As far as meal size I've been eating until i feel full which suprisingly has been pretty quick.

Rather than cooking when you waken try batch cooking when you have time so that you have prepared proteins & veg in your fridge that only require heating & some added fat. I cook a whole chicken every week, along with maybe a batch of chilli, and some kind of pork dish, then I'll prep a few trays of various types of oven roasted veg so that I can pick a protein & a serving of veg and I'm good to go. I also always have salad veg, tinned fish & a batch of home-made mayo on the go so I can throw together a salad for a change. The longer you eat this way the easier it becomes as you learn the food prep shortcuts!

Bavon is a fat source? What about sausage? Just thinking through my egg-free breakfast ideas. :)

Yep, bacon is a fat. Sausages are protein (albeit with a bit of fat thrown in there for good measure!)

Egg-free breakfast ideas have been discussed extensively on the forum in the past. Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast to get links to past discussion threads.

Along those lines, you might enjoy this thread of non-traditional breakfasts

Hello All,

Catching up on all the posts and love reading all the great tips. I notice that this being my second time around it is so much easier and I really am not experiencing any headaches, hangovers, or negative symptoms. I do want to try and focus on adding some more variety to my meals as I tend to be a creature of habit which can be boring. Glad to hear everyone is hanging in there!!  

Happy Thursday!

Hello,

Update on Day 3. Probably the hardest day yet. I was in the car for about 4 hours yesterday traveling for work. I came prepared with my meals. I missed one meal due to timing and I couldn't eat during hearings and meetings. Then when i got home last night I missed dinner because i fell asleep at 7 pm from pure exhaustion. In other words, I hardly ate. I did get in a 3.5 mile run in the morning before work and drank 100 oz of water.

Meal 1: Turkey Meatballs, Carrots and Guacamole

Meal 2: Grapes and 2tbsp of Almond Butter

I am hoping for a better Day 4, as I am not as tired, i am working in the office all day and have all my meals packed.

Happy Thursday ;)

Hi!

I have enjoyed reading everyone's logs and I am getting some great meal ideas.

Day two: Not as bad as expected. I did have a mild headache but I was able to get in my P90x3 Warrior workout in and drank 120 oz of water.

I am doing P90x3 as well! :) I think the WHOLE30 is a great compliment to the program.

Archived