Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone! Great first day here. Only minor hiccup was coming home from work and diving right into making dinner. That meant I ate earlier than I probably should have. If hunger is an issue, I'll have a veggie & fat or veggie & protein snack in a little while. I learned that GOOD coffee can be savored with nothing in it. I've always used half & half, and the last time I tried it black, it was icky. Might have just been bad coffee. This morning's cup was great! 

M1: HB eggs, celery & almond butter, blueberries & coconut milk

M2: W30 classic chili (made with extra veggies), celery & almond butter (meant to have quacamole as my fat, but forgot it at home)

M3: Grass fed round steak, mashed cauliflower w/ coconut milk & clarified butter

A couple of coworkers brought treats in today. I love the "honeymoon" phase because it's so easy to say no! It'll be a lot tougher on day 4, when peak sugar withdrawal hits. 

It was great to read all of the different experiences of day one, and also interesting to find out what those a couple days ahead of us are going through. Very helpful to have that, and the feedback from the more experienced among us. Thanks, everyone!!!

I like to cook homemade sausage or compliant chicken sausage in olive or avocado oil til it's brown, then pile chopped kale into the saucepan til it's wilted all the way down. It's great with tomato gravy poured over it all (chopped, canned tomatoes, oil of choice, garlic, salt, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers and grated carrots,cooked for about 45 minutes--if you feel ambitious, you can saute the veggies first).

Also, kale chips baked in the oven with a little coconut oil...

would love some feedback on my first day. 

start day with 45 min brisk walk with dog

M1:  3 eggs

snack: homemade seed bars with 1/2 date per bar

M2: cauli rice, salad with EVOO, tuna with mayo

snack: 2 bananas (i don't know what happened, they just disappeared before I knew it)

M3: cauli rice, ground beef, fried pepper and mushrooms with salsa

snack: seed bar and 1/2 cantaloupe.

*physically active all day

*1/2 hour walk/jog with dog

*drank 2L water

how can I improve and get through the sugar cravings?

I also have a massive issue with sugar cravings at night, how do I deal?

Hey there

I'm assuming you maybe don't know our recommendation for NOT including smoothies (unless you are specifically looking to gain/maintain weight).

See below for the official take on them:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

There are LOTS of other (read that as better) options for on the go foods like egg muffins, veg frittatas etc. Also you don;t appear to have added any fat to your meal.

Please re-visit the meal template & try building your meals to match it for optimum results.

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.  I appreciate your efforts to help.  I'm not sure if you were too helpful though.  Here I am on my first day, posting for the first time ever only to be put down.  Just so you know the sardines had olive oil in them, and I didn't have a smoothie- I had vegetable juice.  Now you can say I shouldn't have vegetable juice and that's fine, but as someone that has an extreme schedule I was thinking vegetable juice would be a great way to get in more vitamins and veggies each day, and on the go options are extremely limited as I'm doing Low FOD-MAP too, so I think veggie juice is better than not eating anything.... Also, in regards to your egg muffins, I'm also trying to not eat too many eggs as I want to do AIP protocol, but I'm not doing it all the time.  Maybe I shouldn't do whole30 or at least not participate on the forum if this is the kind of encouragement I'll get.  Yikes!  Thanks anyways.

Day one almost over, sounds like a lot of fun meal options out there, congrats everyone. I know my fridge is bulging, and the pots and pans and kitchen gadget washing has been unending. But my kitchen is now clean, coffee pot set, and I've planned Day 2. I just plan one day at a time, but I have lots of options with the prep I did. Hot one here in Delaware today, played tennis and 9 holes of golf, lots of housecleaning and I'm ready to turn in already! Hoping to get some relief from insomnia this time around, my first whole 30 I actually felt like my sleep problems got worse, which was counter to what most experienced. Keeping positive attitude it will be better this time. Good luck to all on Day 2.

I won't post daily, but will do my day one:

M1 - 2egg omelette with some of my homemade pork crumbly sausage&onions, spinach, cooked in ghee

Pre tennis WO - 1 hard boiled egg, 1/2 avacado

Post WO - baked chicken, sweet potato

M2 - ground beef crumbled over greens, mixed nuts

M3 - Turkey and veggie sauce (recipe posted yesterday) over spaghetti squash (olive oil in the mix)

Lots of water, and a plain seltzer

would love some feedback on my first day.

start day with 45 min brisk walk with dog

M1: 3 eggs

snack: homemade seed bars with 1/2 date per bar

M2: cauli rice, salad with EVOO, tuna with mayo

snack: 2 bananas (i don't know what happened, they just disappeared before I knew it)

M3: cauli rice, ground beef, fried pepper and mushrooms with salsa

snack: seed bar and 1/2 cantaloupe.

*physically active all day

*1/2 hour walk/jog with dog

*drank 2L water

how can I improve and get through the sugar cravings?

I also have a massive issue with sugar cravings at night, how do I deal?

First, to help with the sugar cravings, don't feed them with fruit.

Note that any bars are emergency food only on a Whole30. (e.g., stuck in traffic for hours, extending your normal time between meals)

Your meal 1 could use more food: that will likely set you up better for the day. Add 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat.

For best results, build meals of protein, veggies and fat that satiate you for 4-5 hours. Until you get there, if you're genuinely hungry between meals (litmus test: you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli), have a mini-meal of protein, carb and fat, or at least two of those components. Avoid eating fruit by itself. You might want to avoid it altogether if it's feeding your sugar dragon.

Hi there,

Thanks for your post.  I appreciate your efforts to help.  I'm not sure if you were too helpful though.  Here I am on my first day, posting for the first time ever only to be put down.  Just so you know the sardines had olive oil in them, and I didn't have a smoothie- I had vegetable juice.  Now you can say I shouldn't have vegetable juice and that's fine, but as someone that has an extreme schedule I was thinking vegetable juice would be a great way to get in more vitamins and veggies each day, and on the go options are extremely limited as I'm doing Low FOD-MAP too, so I think veggie juice is better than not eating anything.... Also, in regards to your egg muffins, I'm also trying to not eat too many eggs as I want to do AIP protocol, but I'm not doing it all the time.  Maybe I shouldn't do whole30 or at least not participate on the forum if this is the kind of encouragement I'll get.  Yikes!  Thanks anyways.

OK I think the moderator was just trying to help you out.  Don't quit, you have no idea how great you are going to feel. The first week is tough.  You will be moody, tired, and a little cranky.  But if you are serious about what you do and it seems that you are, you have a crazy schedule... getting your body running more efficiently is only going to help you to greatly improve that.  I did 28 days last month and then restarted... I am telling you my mind is clearer, I think faster, I get more done at work.  My resting heart rate went from 67 to 56 in one month!  I am able to up my workouts and started running in the morning 2 miles with out stopping... I lost ten lbs last month and so it is safe for me to start jogging.  Its not easy but well worth the effort... so your first day wasn't perfect, so what... you can do better tomorrow... and what the moderator said about your brains reaction to smoothies/ liquid nutrition kind of make sense. DON'T Quit!  This is really a great program with a lot of supportive people. 

Hi all ! Yes I'm starting my Whole30 today September 1st. I've done the Whole30 two years ago and was very successful even got some people at work converted to Paleo ;) After the challenge, I've been on Paleo 80% of the time for the last 2 years and this is my first time around using the forum with their email support. 

I'm very exciting to get back on track after 2 weeks of vacation eating everything except real food. I've spend the last weekend reading the book again and cleaning up my pantry, Fridge of all the non welcome food. 

I've got my hubby, my friends and my coworker on board to support me through this month. I know I've been successful before and I know I will be again.  :)

I can certainly share with you my Favorite of all time ( life saver) App and desktop version (Sync info together) : pepperplate. It's an app that you can add ALL your recipes (from book, website, pinterest etc) and you can create your menu and shopping list.   

I think this time around my challenge will be not to reach out for my dearly love maple syrup or honey and the "no" baking part too, which I don't remember being a rule 2 years ago :)

What would be or what do you think your challenge would be ?

Always remember "What you eat in private, you wear in public".  :o

Happy success to all of us !

Wow.  I kept reading everyone's posts as they rolled into my in box today and its really great to see all the entrees!  I had a good day-

M1- Vegetable Frittata- Red, Yellow, orange bell pepper with onions, alittle bit of bacon, fresh basil and three eggs, black coffee

M2- Pulled Chicken Soup with carmalized onions, fresh cilantro, zucc, carrots plus tomato, cucumber, red onion salad

4:00 preworkout- 2 hardboiled eggs and an apple (after reading some of the moderators note now know this is a no no- protein and a fat- gotta find some ripe avocadoes tomorrow. 

M3- Mahi Mahi Ciopinno and an orange... alittle skimpy on the vegetables on this meal

Will try to improve on the veggie front tomorrow.  This is day four for me and feeling pretty great.  After really being W30 Compliant last month for 28 days was way easier getting past the release the toxins phase.  I got up feeling really good and had a ton of energy.  Shaved 2 minutes off my 2 mile run loop from last Monday... still slow as molasses and double what I used to run a mile in when I was 18 but at 47 and fairly overweight I am happy with the improvement :rolleyes:.  There is a great park next to where I drop my daughter off for school and a few days a week I should be able to hit it.  My plan is to run around my yard (our house is on 8 acres)

the two days a week I have to start work at 8:30... Way more fun at the park with all the people though...  Tonight at bootcamp tennis clinic I kicked some serious a--.  It was just me and another guy so got in a crazy good workout.  Tennis Pro can see big improvement in my performance this last month.  I did start to run out of gas a little towards the end so going to take the advice of monitor and only protein plus a fat pre work out and stay away from the fruit...

I bought a fit bit the end of June and absolutely love it.  It is a huge help for those trying to move more... I got the slightly more expensive one that tracks, sleep, heart rate, active minutes, steps.  The heart rate screen is my favorite- lets me know how many minutes I was in peak( today 13 min), cardio (31 min) and fat burn (3 hrs. and 9 min)- it syncs with my phone so I just wear it and don't have to think about it.  Resting heart rate dropped 10 beats since the beginning of August... I know I feel so much better but the fit bit shows me how my body is performing better.  I don't like to have to sit and type in every morsel I ate, every excercise... this just does it for me...

For me this whole 30 is about getting more creative and compliant with the food, moving more with the new found energy and continuing to change my lifestyle.  It is going to take me way longer than 30 days but really feel like would like to try and eat this way 90% of the time even when I am finished.  I have hypoglycemia and really should avoid sugar, bread, simple carbs all the time so...

Well good luck everyone!  Was really nice to read all of your posts today!  Learned a lot B)

Day 1, oh my poor son is going crazy for sugar. He's fighting like a champion right now.

I had a wierd schedule today so m1 was more of a snack. Fist full of pecans, banana and black tea. M2 was yet another snack crab meat and a fist of pecans. M3 chicken breast, spinach, lettuce, tomato, black olives, onions, cucumbers, peppers and banana peppers with vinegar. Water to drink. M4 spehgetti squash bake with mushrooms, hamburger, garlic, basil and tomatoes. Oh yea I tried a Larabar surprised how good it tasted.

I hope everyone is having a successful day.

Go team 9/1 :)

Day 1 and I did a lot of cooking and dish/pot washing, but I've got leftovers, so hopefully I won't spend so much time in the kitchen tomorrow.

M1: 3 poached eggs, broccoli, olive oil

M2: salmon, homemade mayo, cauliflower (made with garlic and olive oil)

M3: chicken (made with coconut oil, garlic, onions, mushrooms), leftover mashed cauliflower

Not too long after dinner, my tinnitus got much louder. A detox reaction? Does that happen on the first day? I ate pretty late (9/9:30) and since when my dinner was ready, I was in the middle of cooking a pot of chicken soup, I ate part of my dinner standing up, including several chicken soup tastings. All told, I think I had the equivalent of about 2 chicken legs plus vegetables, but I feel stuffed. I wish I knew what made the tinnitus get louder. Maybe my dinner wasn't very big but it was too big for me? I'll be really glad when it gets lower and I'm really hoping that the Whole30 will significantly improve it.

Wow not an easy day but lots of little victories! Work was hell... Demoing tortilla chips and guacamole and there was strawberry shortcake in the break room! I didn't touch one morsel! That is so huge for me.... So much unconscious snacking and eating goes into my everyday that for me to not touch anything amazes me. I struggled eating everything I brought for lunch because I felt grossly full but 3 hours later I was foggy and tired. Had some spoonfuls of guacamole ( clean) and it got me thru until dinner

M1: egg muffin with half avocado cherry tomatoes

M2: roasted veggies (2cups) and 2 bnless skinless chicken thighs

M3: 1/4 cup TJs numbers Guacamole

M4 roasted turkey breast 1 cupish spaghetti squash, 2 cups sautéed in ghee Brussels sprouts, peach

Would love feedback on how my meals fit the template

Hope everyone had a great day one!

Hi. I completed my first day. I was most anxious about not snacking. But it wasn't a problem

M1 - scrambled eggs and raspberries. Coffee with coconut milk x2

M2- post weight lifting yellow pepper, tomato and 3 tbs guacamole

Iced green tea

M-3 sautéed mushrooms and nitrate free pastrami, salad with olive oil and vinaigrette

M-4 steamed chicken and broccoli

Not sure about the green tea. Hope I can sleep.

:-) feels good to start

Great job, everybody!

The first time I tried W30 I burned out after 3 weeks from all the cooking and cleaning, even though I tried to prep on the weekends.  This time around I probably won't match the meal template all the time but will avoid the major no-nos.  Hope I still get results - more energy, fewer food reactions, and hopefully weightloss.

M1: banana, almonds, black iced coffee

M2: HUGE bowl of mixed greens with slab of wild salmon, EVOO and ACV dressing

Late afternoon snack so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat before dinner: grapes & almonds

M3: chicken fajitas with avocado (no tortilla, of course!)

We have plenty of protein and fat in the house but I need to shop for more veggies.  Went to Costco tonight and they really need to carry more organic produce.

Hi all! Today my family and I started our whole 30... I am no stranger to challenge and I am usually very very strong and able to see them through, however I am about to crack and it hasn't even been 24 hours. Yikes!!! So many thoughts like I am not ready or I can't do this or should my hands be shaking like this? This is worse than when I quit smoking cold turkey 4 years ago or quitting soda 2 years ago. My skin is crawling and all I want to do is find some flipping sugar!!!

Anyone else feel this way? I am doing everything to hang in but tomorrow is going to be a true test of my wills. Please let the universe be on my side!!!

Chiming in a bit late, but better late than never.  My husband & I started on Sep 1 as well.  This is our second W30, the first was in July, and we were not able to do a proper reintroduction (very long story).  I lurked on the forums then, but never posted, figure I'll chime in this time though instead of just being a creeper.  

My main goal this time is to complete a proper reintroduction.  His main goal is weight loss, he's lost over 25 pounds since early July.  

If anyone is still looking for advice from those of us who have already been there, here's mine:

1.  Buy hand lotion.  Between all the extra cooking and dish-washing, my hands get so dried out.  The rest of my skin never felt or looked better, but my hands needed some love.

2.  Keep plenty of toilet paper on hand.  We go through it a lot more quickly now than we used to.  Ran dangerously low after the first few days last time.

3.  Read It Starts With Food or The Whole 30 book.  There is so much wisdom and knowledge in there that will empower you to do this properly.

We are both born & bred Texans, but are currently living in Australia, so we're already halfway through day 2.  Look forward to getting to know everyone over the next 30+ days.

Hi there,

I'm sorry you felt I shot you down, however I'm a straight talker and I was just giving you some constructive feedback about how you could get the most out of your Whole30 experience. As a moderator that's my job here.

A juice is the same as a smoothie in that you drink it rather than chew it and so it provides a different satiatey level due to the fact the digestion process is different. There are a huge number of folk doing low FODMAP none of whom rely on juices. Honestly, it's just 30days - you really should at least give it a go.

As for the egg muffins they were just one suggestion - you could always opt for chicken drumsticks or meatballs - again lots of portable options, egg muffins were just the ones that sprung to mind as they are pretty popular.

It will take a few days to find your feet - I was just trying to help with that process.

These are our recommendations for getting the best results - they are not rules and it is up to you if you choose to follow them.

Hi. I completed my first day. I was most anxious about not snacking. But it wasn't a problem

M1 - scrambled eggs and raspberries. Coffee with coconut milk x2

M2- post weight lifting yellow pepper, tomato and 3 tbs guacamole

Iced green tea

M-3 sautéed mushrooms and nitrate free pastrami, salad with olive oil and vinaigrette

M-4 steamed chicken and broccoli

Not sure about the green tea. Hope I can sleep.

:-) feels good to start

Hey there

You could do with adding some veggies to your meal one in lieu of the fruit - fill up on veggies first, & then turn  to fruit if you still have room.

Post WO aim for a lean protein and some starchy carb to feed your muscles. Fats will slow down absorption.

Don't forget your fat in your last meal.

@Leesbee001,  I felt absolutely horrid the first few days of my first W30.  So you're not alone.

There's a documentary called "Fed Up" that you might appreciate.  It is about sugar content in food, even foods we perceive as healthy; you've probably been consuming far more sugar than you would have ever realized.  They discuss a science experiment where labs that were addicted to cocaine were given sugar water, then allowed to choose between sugar water & cocaine.  Something like 50 out of 53 rats chose the sugar water over the cocaine.  And the withdrawal symptoms off sugar were similar to those of cocaine withdrawal.  Stay strong & power through the next couple of days, you don't want to live a life addicted to something that has the ability to make you feel this horrible.

Good morning (here in the US) all! It's really amazing to see all the posts and hear great things about Day 1. This is my second W30 and I know the timeline (and what's coming) but I'm choosing to hang on to that good feeling of motivation and excitement.

Yesterday was what I planned and went well. Last night's dinner was AMAZING - we did Taco Tuesday using crock pot salsa chicken that had been cooking all day. Why in the world haven't I done that before!?!!? So good, and crazy easy. Just dump chicken and compliant salsa in the crockpot on low for 8ish hours. Wow.

Today's food is planned and I have a weights workout later. Dinner tonight is leftover kahlua pork, which normally would be delicious but I'm still thinking about last night's chicken. :)

Great job, everybody!

The first time I tried W30 I burned out after 3 weeks from all the cooking and cleaning, even though I tried to prep on the weekends.  This time around I probably won't match the meal template all the time but will avoid the major no-nos.  Hope I still get results - more energy, fewer food reactions, and hopefully weightloss.

M1: banana, almonds, black iced coffee

M2: HUGE bowl of mixed greens with slab of wild salmon, EVOO and ACV dressing

Late afternoon snack so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat before dinner: grapes & almonds

M3: chicken fajitas with avocado (no tortilla, of course!)

We have plenty of protein and fat in the house but I need to shop for more veggies.  Went to Costco tonight and they really need to carry more organic produce.

If you want energy, don't underfeed yourself.  Underfeeding will also work against you in your effort to lose weight, as your body will think it's in starvation mode and hold onto every ounce it can.

Really, EAT.  :)  The meal template is your friend.  Use it to compose every meal.  Meal 1 was more of a snack. Use some of that plentiful protein in your house at that meal and add some veggies while you're at it.  Don't let fruit push veggies off your plate.

At that late afternoon snack, were you hungry (e.g., you could eat something bland like steamed fish and broccoli)?  We only want you to eat between meals if you are hungry then - not to head off possible future hunger at the pass. Having a full meal as your first meal of the day will help to quell afternoon snacking also.

"Many Whole30ers report headaches, fatigue, and general malaise during this part of the program."

Good to know I'm right on schedule... :P I'm glad I didn't go totally nuts the last couple of days before Day 1, but there were a couple of parties including alcohol and party food. Will check in tonight!

Archived