Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

My family and I started today! Was a challenge to get the boys (8&10) to have a compliant breakfast, but we did it! Last night was first night of prep and we had many whoopies.. Lol It's just the first day thought right?..... We will tackle this! I managed to make egg muffins! A variety so we could all have what we liked! Made with eggs, peppers, onion, spinach and mushrooms. Kids are it and they had a side of fruit! My 10yo had cantaloupe and my 8 yo had a banana! Their lunches have been compliant for the last 2 weeks since I wanted to ease them into this and not just throw them to the wolves! I'm excited about this journey with my family and can't wait to see where we are at in 30 days!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My husband and I are starting today. Gonna miss cheese and beans. Well and wine, but isn't that a given? Feel pretty prepared for this, but sure that "kill all the things" could derail that confidence!

Started the day with egg, sausage and broccoli quiches. Lunch was a salad with grilled chicken & veggies plus compliant salad dressing. Dinner is chicken & andouille sausage gumbo sans rice.

Had egg scramble with green bell pepper, cremini mushrooms and green onions and bacon this morning. Apple with almond butter for snack (35 weeks pregnant = smaller meals throughout the day out of necessity).

Planning on pulled pork for lunch. Have asian stew meat in the crockpot and will make some cauli "fried" rice to go with it. Off to a good start this morning!

Hello Everyone,  I started today.  So far so good.  Scrambled eggs w/peppers & onions, turky bacon,

banana, LUNCH: two turkey burgers with onions & grapes.  I need all the motivation I can get

You also need more veggies! Aim for 1-3 cups per meal, with three being optimum. Consider that we often say to add the protein & fat to your plate & then FILL the rest of your plate with veggies - so some onions just aren't cutting it! Fruit should not be pushing those veg off of your plate....

Hi, everyone! I'm joining you all as I started today, too. This is my first Whole30 but I have tried to start eating more whole foods over the last few weeks to get me in gear for it. It probably doesn't help that I've been working out every day of late, so I'm worried that I'm going to find myself starving while I figure out what works for me! I didn't do the best prep to kick off today because we had the craziest weekend and grocery shopping for us is usually on Tuesday nights, but I have a great meal plan in my head. 

Today I started with 2 scrambled eggs w. kale and grape tomatoes in some coconut oil, and lunch (M2!) was a small apple, and a huge bowl of zoodles with grape tomatoes and walnuts. I had planned on cooking chicken with that but opened up the package and it was bad. Again - bad timing! 

But I have plans on cooking some ground turkey up tonight with veggies and loads more kale - kind of a Taco Tuesday with my taco shell being the kale. Oh, and I have some sweet potatoes baking so that will be a part of dinner, as well. 

Anyway, glad to finally have joined the group/forums and looking forward to connecting w. everyone. If I go mia it's only because I probably became overwhelmed w. the forums - it's a LOT of info out there! Wishing you all a great September!

Day 1 so far so good...

M1- scramble eggs with green onions and tomatoes

M2- pan fried chicken breast, potatoes, and broccoli 

I know smothies are a no in whole30, but I normally have a green smothie before my workout and then come home to eat breakfast.  Will this be acceptable?

1cup spinach or kale

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup cucumber

1/4 cup parsley

1/2 a small banana

1/2 a green apple

1 cup of water

1tbs cinnamon

a dash of cayanne pepper and tumeric

juice of half a lemon

1tbs chia seeds

Starting today! I have suffered with severe PPD for the last year and this is my last ditch effort before antidepressants. I am worried that I won't have the emotional motivation to stick with it. Anyone here have any experience with the whole30 helping with PPD or depression? Looking forward to following your experiences. Good luck everyone.

Hi - I'm sorry you've been experiencing PPD - I know how that can be. I volunteer with some groups online that support mamas going through this if you need some info feel free to message me. I hope that the change to your eating will be something that helps you in the way you're looking for. You're not alone, mama! (hugs)

Day 1 so far so good...

M1- scramble eggs with green onions and tomatoes

M2- pan fried chicken breast, potatoes, and broccoli 

I know smothies are a no in whole30, but I normally have a green smothie before my workout and then come home to eat breakfast.  Will this be acceptable?

1cup spinach or kale

1/2 cup celery

1/2 cup cucumber

1/4 cup parsley

1/2 a small banana

1/2 a green apple

1 cup of water

1tbs cinnamon

a dash of cayanne pepper and tumeric

juice of half a lemon

1tbs chia seeds

Our recommendation for pre WO is a lean protein & fat. No carbs, and particularly no fruit as this signals to your body to go ahead & burn carbs as there are plenty more on the way. Fruit also replaces liver glycogen which is not counter productive.

Post WO we recommend a lean protein & some optional starchy carbs - again no fruit, and no fat.

Once you're showered & dressed then you can have your meal 1.

Give the recommendations a try - it's 30 days, and it's about a whole lot more than just eating compliant food. We're trying to get you to change your entire relationship with it...

Hi, everyone! I'm joining you all as I started today, too. This is my first Whole30 but I have tried to start eating more whole foods over the last few weeks to get me in gear for it. It probably doesn't help that I've been working out every day of late, so I'm worried that I'm going to find myself starving while I figure out what works for me! 

Don't forget that the book says you can "supplement" pre and post workouts with real foods.  Remember to eat protein 15-30 minutes after your work out to help you recover AND not "starve".  I'm all about fitness and attend CrossFit classes.  I definitely plan to incorporate foods around my classes to ensure I take care of my body and not maintain a growling stomach :)

HI all! A few days ago, I decided to start eating healthier on September 1. And last night I signed up for Whole30 and made today my start date. Even though this meant no real prep time, I couldn't pass up starting on the first of the month in a month with 30 days. I've been eating Paleo-ish for a while but I've been putting on weight from both Paleo and non-Paleo foods. Also, I've got tinnitus, and food - especially too much food and too much sugar - affects it a lot.

I work at home, so I'm hoping that eating Whole30 meals at home won't be too hard. But I'm nervous about eating in restaurants and at other social gatherings - both in terms of finding and making the right food choices and picking restaurants when friends may want to eat someplace where it would be hard, if not impossible, to have a Whole30-compliant meal.

Also, I missed having my iced black tea this morning. Just the thought of how bitter unsweetened tea is makes me shudder, so the tea had to go. Hopefully, in a few days I won't miss it anymore.

It's great having the support of this forum and I signed up for the daily emails too. I'm really looking forward to feeling better and to not being ruled by my sweet tooth.

I'm starting today! This will be my second attempt. I made it ten days last year until I was careless and had some fruit salad without realizing the person who made it included mandarin oranges with added sugar :/ I wasn't motivated enough to start over at day one so I decided to put off another attempt. I was also living with my parents and brother who were not engaged in the whole 30 with me, which made things very difficult. But, I'm optimistic for this go around because I've since moved out and am in control of what goes in my pantry :) I'm hoping to maybe lose some weight, but more importantly slay my sugar dragon, control my cystic acne, and gain more energy throughout the day! Good luck, everyone! Glad to be here :)

Thank you, vozelle! And thanks a lot for the suggestions. I looked at the shopping lists this morning and I was happy to see that I've got a lot of the foods on them. And I'll get more of things on them soon. But I haven't looked at the meal template, so I'll definitely do that next. Thanks again!

Anyone experience digestive issues as soon as 1-2 days into Whole30? Sorry for TMI but I was evacuated A LOT yesterday. Possibilities I considered are increase in dietary fat, I ate bison (don't generally eat a lot of red meat but seeking variety to stay on whole30), or just a detox symptoms. Anyone have digestive issues with canned coconut milk/cream using that in morning coffee but getting native forest organic compliant kind but just wondering.....Starting to feel fatigue and faint headache this afternoon but still optimistic 48 hours in just have to stay the course! Cooked a lot of compliant dishes before work today while toddler was in daycare. :)   

Hi Everyone

Meal one was leftover pork chop (organic, grass finished), a big boy roasted tomato, leftover yellow squash with onions, a few small pieces of potato, roast onion. Delish. I love looking at all the beautiful colors on my plate first thing. I love my coffee, and have been using coconut milk since the first W30 (turns out dairy doesn't like me).

A lovely side dish we'll have for supper is a grape tomato and strawberry salad:

Grape or cherry tomatoes cut in half, a pint of strawberries trimmed and quartered, basil leaves rolled and cut into ribbons tossed in a salad bowl. Mix balsamic vinegar at about 1 to 4 ratio with best olive oil, pour onto salad and sprinkle with sea salt.

This salad can be varied with different fruit, heirloom tomatoes, add chives or scallions, coconut oil instead of olive, etc. It's so refreshing in August. I love using watermelon when the price is right. I have subbed tarragon, too.

Good luck on Day One!

Anyone experience digestive issues as soon as 1-2 days into Whole30? Sorry for TMI but I was evacuated A LOT yesterday. Possibilities I considered are increase in dietary fat, I ate bison (don't generally eat a lot of red meat but seeking variety to stay on whole30), or just a detox symptoms. Anyone have digestive issues with canned coconut milk/cream using that in morning coffee but getting native forest organic compliant kind but just wondering.....Starting to feel fatigue and faint headache this afternoon but still optimistic 48 hours in just have to stay the course! Cooked a lot of compliant dishes before work today while toddler was in daycare. :)   

Some changes in bowel movements is normal, but nuts, raw veg & cruciferous veg can be particularly problematic.

If you'd like to post what you've eaten over the past few days, indicating portion sizes we can take a look and check you're on the right path.

For the headaches make sure you are drinking at least a half an ounce of water per pound of body weight, and include at least a fist sized portion of starchy veg per day. For the fatigue be kind to yourself - your body is going through a lot of change - but also be sure you're including enough fat - it really is hard to overdo it.

Hey all... Day one is fun!

I did not follow the meal template today very well but I am pretty happy none the less...

• I had poached eggs and a small banana for M1 - I know no veggies!!!
  • I had 1/2 chicken and cabbage / kale salad (4 cups) with balsamic and EVOO plus a small apple for M2
  • Tonight (M3) is Steak, salad (with homemade dressing) and likely a baked potato.

I have personally experimented with pre and post workout meals and I find that i do so much better when I don't use them and just stick to three squares.  I have tried Pre-workout meals and really, really felt much worse when I add the extra nutrition - Again... this is my 8th W30... so I have tried this a few different ways and 3 squares is really the best for me.

Today started with 5 x 400 M sprints on the street prior to eating M1 and then going off to work (biked today - 5 K one way).Today I scared the $%#@ out of myself as I (out of the blue) signed up for my first ever CrossFit challenge (to be held on September 19th).  I registered for the Masters (40+) beginners class as I have only been doing Crossfit for only 3-4 months and I never intended today to wake up and decide to "sign up for a formal CrossFit challenge".

I do CrossFit in my own home gym (garage) and I am using some online courses to learn the Olympic lifts.  Many of the moves are not possible for me at this time but I am focusing on a pre-set CrossFit beginner program and supplimenting with extra training on skill development.

Eating was pretty good today and I feel great.  I am hopeful that my deviations in August (I was on holidays for 3 weeks) did not put me in too much of a poor starting point this time around.  I did a very strict W30 in July.

Keep up the good work and know that your health is the most valuable thing you have!!!

Cheers

DJ

Off to a good start and its wonderful to have so many of you doing this with me.

M1: Eggs, potato, onion cooked in EVOO and grape tomatoes.

M2: Huge salad of mixed greens, carrots, cucumber, onion, and grilled chicken breast with EVOO and raspberry vinegar for dressing.

M3: Spaghetti Squash, Ground Sirloin, Tomato Sauce, Baby Carrots and Yellow Bell Pepper.

I also signed up for the daily emails and was very pleased with the 2 I have received. Todays had a great list of websites with Whole30 menus and recipes.

Feeling great.

Hey everyone! I hope everyone's first day is going smoothly. For me, Day 1 is going pretty well. I had to keep myself busy after work since my old habits consisted of reaching into the snack cabinet. I can honestly say that am not very hungry either. Signing onto the forum and even just reading through some of the posts helped to realign my thoughts. 

So far....

Meal 1: (7:30 am) Spinach/ Mushroom/ Red Pepper/ Onion Egg Frittata with  1/4 Avocado

Meal 2: (12:15pm) Roasted Purple potatoes and cauliflower in coconut oil; grilled chicken over salad greens

Meal 3: (Will be) Roasted Spaghetti Squash with sauteed Kale and W30 Recipe for Tomato Sauce with homemade pork sausage patties

I'm hoping that I don't get too hungry before 7:30 pm when my husband comes home. I may have to adjust breakfast and lunch in the future. We shall see!

Sharon Q.

Our recommendation for pre WO is a lean protein & fat. No carbs, and particularly no fruit as this signals to your body to go ahead & burn carbs as there are plenty more on the way. Fruit also replaces liver glycogen which is not counter productive.

Post WO we recommend a lean protein & some optional starchy carbs - again no fruit, and no fat.

Once you're showered & dressed then you can have your meal 1.

Give the recommendations a try - it's 30 days, and it's about a whole lot more than just eating compliant food. We're trying to get you to change your entire relationship with it...

Thanks I would do so :)

Hi all! Congrats to everyone who has completed Day 1! I love all the posts here!

Today was my Day 5, and today has been a real struggle to adhere to the meal template. I stayed W30 compliant, but sort of just grazed today rather than eat 3 squares. I felt absolutely no hunger, and rather turned off towards eating anything at all. I remember this happening the first go 'round, so I will just push through it. I know that grazing all day on only what appeals to me is not in the spirit of the W30, but the nausea won out. No headaches though today, so that's good! I also feel focused mentally and far less fatigue.

In the spirit of honesty with food choices, here's what I grazed on today:

An egg, a sausage patty, cauli rice

Grapes, cucumber, macadamia nuts

Venison jerky and an orange

Cabbage, pork, sweet potato

I guess it's not terrible, just not strict template. Tomorrow will be better I am sure!

I'm planning to do a 5k jog in a bit and if I'm hungry after that I will try to eat something more.

Michelle

Archived