Starting September 1 - Who's with me?

jdthomps4

Thanks for all the mayo tips!

It looks like I'll be picking up an immersion blender. :)

I used a blender and it looked perfect before I added the lemon.  I'm wondering if maybe I just used too much lemon juice? I was making a double batch and squeezed half a large lemon and it immediately got funky.  Or maybe I added the lemon too fast? I squeezed the lemon out first to avoid getting any seeds in the mayo and just dumped it in.

I've noticed some recipes calling for lemon juice, some vinegar, and some ACV.  Is there much of a difference? Or just preference? I know it's unlikely to get something as close to the Hellmann's I'm used to...but here's to trying. LOL.

Its really just a matter of taste preference. I like the freshness of lemon juice, and I have a lemon tree so it really is FRESH!  You may have added a bit to much to your mayo. If that happens again, or if you saved it to try and fix, start blending and slowly drizzle in more oil, or try adding another egg yolk, and it should re-emulsify.  But yes, stick blenders are the best and well worth the small amount of money to get one!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 2 for my husband and me!  I'm feeling good.  There's a headache that wants to start...fogginess feeling...but I keep hydrating and just when it's decided to visit it seems to be a meal time and the meal kisses it goodbye.  I'm missing some routine things...chewing gum is one and snacking before dinner is two.  My husband was in rough shape last night before bed.  He's a night snacker and beer drinker and was missing his poison.  We packed him more food today for breakfast and lunch at work.  We'll see how that goes.

I have some prep work to do tonight to get my husband through the rest of the week with meals 1 & 2 at work...he's used to hitting up the cafeteria or restaurants.

It's great to read how everyone is doing!  I'm feeling a lot of good energy when I login.

peace & good eats!

Day 2 - the carb flu is worse. I sent DD off to school this morning and went back to bed, thought I set an alarm, got up an hour later than I wanted. I'm late for work, but I work from home so...yeah. I'm foggy and the headache is awesome (not in a good way) but I've done this detox before and I know it will get better. I'm also proud of DD and I as we found ourselves looking at each other around 9 last night and doing an ice-cream mind-meld, to which we both congratulated ourselves on finishing Day 1, and went to bed. 

I wanted to share that I found myself unprepared yesterday and had to make a really strange concoction to resemble barbecue sauce. It ended up being rather delicious. I had smoked a pork shoulder, then cooked in the Crock-pot all day, so I had pulled pork. Then found myself trying to figure out a barbecue sauce to put on it! I went through the cupboards and found A can of tomato sauce - good! Then I read the recipes online and they all seemed to want applesauce. I remembered that there was this pouch-thing that my daughter got at Starbucks and never ate. It seemed compliant, so I used it and the sauce turned out AMAZING. I need to get some unsweetened applesauce in the house. I also walked away from the stove, it started to boil and made a huge mess of the stove, floor, counter, cupboards...anyhow:

Barbecue Sauce

1 can organic tomato sauce

2T white wine vinegar

3T minced garlic (we like garlic a lot)

1T dried onion

1t chili powder

1t red chili flakes

1t dried mustard powder

1 squeeze pouch of this stuff

Simmer for an hour until reduced by half. 

Day 2: On the tinnitus exacerbation that I wrote about last night, it's lower today, which is great, but it's also high-pitched today and since I've also got a headache, the combination is pretty annoying. I guess I'm detoxing and I'll just persevere. Truth is, persevering isn't too hard since my appetite is less with the headache. The only thing I wish I could have is stevia-sweetened iced tea because the caffeine would get rid of the headache.

Yesterday I made slow-cooked chicken soup and a stove-top chicken dish with coconut oil, garlic, mushrooms, and onions. Later I accidentally poured the broth/garlic/onions/mushrooms over the shredded chicken from the soup, then decided it was a happy error and stuck the rest of chicken in with it. Today,  that chicken was breakfast with cauliflower and spinach and it was delicious!

I didn't have any prep time for doing the Whole30 because I decided to do it on Aug 31 and started on Sep 1 -  couldn't resist the simplicity of starting on the first day of a month with 30 days - so I'm pretty overwhelmed with all the information I've downloaded. I can really see the value of taking a week or more to prepare. I appreciate all the tips and support in this forum.

M1: egg muffin with half avocado cherry tomatoes

M2: roasted veggies (2cups) and 2 bnless skinless chicken thighs

M3: 1/4 cup TJs numbers Guacamole

M4 roasted turkey breast 1 cupish spaghetti squash, 2 cups sautéed in ghee Brussels sprouts, peach

Would love feedback on how my meals fit the template

Hope everyone had a great day one!

Meal template feedback:

M1: Add more veggies... try squash saute, zoodles, pre-baked spaghetti squash, piles of spinach (cooked down), sweet potato hash, etc.

M2: Add FAT... avocado, homemade mayo, coconut butter, etc (fat will help keep you satiated until dinner)

M3/snack: If you need a snack to tide you over, add some protein (hard boiled egg, slice of turkey, etc). Snacks should be "mini-meals".

M4: Add more fat... the ghee was likely not enough to meet meal template proportions... a lot of the fat stays in the pan.

You're doing good, just revisit the meal template (http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf), make sure you're adding enough vegetable bulk and enough FAT... and keep on rocking!! : )

Oh another routine thing that was hard to walk past this morning...the SCALE.  I weigh myself everyday.  Today.  No scale.  WooT!  (I think)  It's a little scary like I'm giving up control.

Not to worry in about a week you will notice your clothes fitting looser and you will know :lol:

Hi, folks..! Total newbie here... Started on September 1st. I have been challenged to do the Whole30 by a friend, and am trying to get my head around compliant food items. Looking forward to group support, and reading through the forum posts for help.

Hi. I've got a couple of questions.

I'm not sure I understand how much fat to have in each meal. In the list of fats in the Meal Template, do you pick one for each meal or more than one? 

Also, some people report having 3 meals, others 4. Is the 4th meal a post-workout meal?

Thanks.

Hi. I've got a couple of questions.

I'm not sure I understand how much fat to have in each meal. In the list of fats in the Meal Template, do you pick one for each meal or more than one? 

Also, some people report having 3 meals, others 4. Is the 4th meal a post-workout meal?

Thanks.

Add as much fat as you like - really - embrace the fat.

The recommendation is for 1-2 thumb sized pieces per meal from whichever fat source you choose. I typically discount fat in the yolk of an egg and add a half an avodao or some mayo or bacon, and I always add another source to veg that's been sauteed or roasted in ghee....

The fat will help with cravings, give you energy & help with bodily functions - fat is your friend.

With regard to how many meals you should have the recommendation is for 3, plus pre & postWO meals if you are training.

Many people (typically former grazers) graduate slowly towards the three as their appetite increases. Nursing mums or pregnant women are fine to have four.

Hope this helps.

Hi Everyone

I already knew that snacking after supper (and by snacking, I mean basically hitting the fridge or cupboard every couple of hours til morning) is bad but an article I read about recent research indicates all kinds of nasty affects of nighttime eating. Apparently it interferes with Circadian rhythms, sleep, calorie burning, glucose levels, hormones and other metabolic functions.

Soooo, I took the advice of a true W30 veteran, and "close" the kitchen every evening after supper (except soda water). I turn off the lights and put a period on the sentence.

Also, I found that my template meals suffered if I snack between meals. I simply wasn't accustomed to eating so much vegetable bulk, so meals seemed gigantic. I adjusted over the second and third weeks on my last W30, so I know how much I truly need to stay satisfied until the next meal. I do struggle a little if I stay up too late, but then my lifelong insomnia really improves after a week or so of totally compliant eating. I also feel free with the healthy fats--and yes, I still lost 7 pounds the first time around.

When reading some posts, I do notice that folks are eating fruit at breakfast (I don't as it stirs up sugar appetite later) and just all around fewer veggies than I found to be optimal. At first eating that much can feel a bit overwhelming, but I really did adjust. Now, I am sooo happy to relish the delightful colors, tastes and textures of several veggies on one plate. FYI, I also seldom eat starchy vegetables at Meal One; I save the potatoes, etc, for Meal Two and Three.

Tonight it's chili made with sauteed onions, peppers, carrots, potatoes, zucchini and spinach. Yum.

Day 2 and on track so far...I find the afternoons hardest as I have clearly been used to grazing thru 3pm until dinner. I am not hungry though. I feel like I have eaten more than I usually do and definitely more water. I thought I would miss the milk in my tea but so far I am ok. It is interesting that I think I have a sensitivity to dairy and crave it. Tonight I am going to attempt to make cod cakes based on the salmon cakes recipe. Too much salmon already for my pescatarian teen. Will let u know how it works if successful.

So halfway through day 2 and feeling pretty good!

The hardest part of day 1 for me was not being able to snack. I have for years eaten small meals every few hours. Yesterday I ate a much bigger breakfast than I usually do but right on que I was hungry by 10. I made it til 11 and made myself lunch. I had a huge salad with a variety of veg, an egg and handful of chicken, a handful of almonds, and a bowl of berries and an apple banana. That is a giant meal for me and once again by the time 5:00 rolled around I was ready to eat my own arm off! Had dinner (pulled pork and 2 lg handfuls of broccoli slaw sauted in coconut oil) around 530 and once again it was huge for me. Hungry again by 8! I am lucky on a normal day to get 16oz of water and yesterday I had over 50oz so that was a good change!

The other thing I noticed on Day 1 was when my darling little 4 year old was eating a handful of candy I just wanted to rip it out of her tiny little hand and go inhale it in a corner somewhere! I think it was just because I knew I couldn't have it more than really wanting it but still it made me feel a little crazy!

I went to bed with a headache and woke up crabby but once I got the day going I have been doing fine but tired. Added some sweet potatos to my breakfast today to see if that would keep me full til lunch and it did!

Have a pot of chocolate chili simmering on the stove for dinner and for many left overs. Boy does the house smell good!

One awesome side note. I have been dealing with daily stomach pain for several months, sometime severe, and I knew it was something I was eating but couldn't figure out what it was and that is the main reason I started this program. So far I have felt a little tightness in the offending area but absolutely no pain!!! Woot! This makes me so happy and gives me great motivation to see this thing through!

Hope everyone is having an awesome day 2!

Hey all... Day 2 is going swimmingly...

Nice to see you in this Group JenX!!

As far as OTC pain relief... I thought that we were asked to use, when possible, Acetaminophen rather than ASA or Ibuprofen. In ISWF, Melissa and Dallas asked us to try to avoid nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs).  Unless this changed (like the rules around potatoes) I believe the best advice was acetaminophen to deal with headaches and minor pain issues (unless you have a doctors precription (therefore not OTC)).

Today is good!

I had the following food:

M1 - butternut squash mash (made with EVOO, garlic and chilli powder), three poached eggs, grapes; coffee

M2 - two compliant mild sausage, big cabbage/kale salad (EVOO and vinegar); guacamole, peach

Tonight:

M3 - Chicken Breast (2), salad with guacamole

Today's workout was three rounds of 12 push press with 400 M sprints (OK maybe slow jogs) in between.

Keep up your momentum.  Well worth it!

Cheers 

DJ

After three whole days under my belt and being super proud of myself all I can think about is having something I shouldn't - translation: pizza. This is the kind of crap that derailed me before. Honestly, I don't get it. I have been really proud of myself and really strong. Why would I want to end that?? 

Honestly, I think it is because I am tired. I don't want to cook. My stomach is upset from having eggs twice in one day (I am pretty sure there is an egg sensitivity there). The salmon I had planned went bad in the fridge and of course, everything else is frozen. ugh.Gotta figure something out. I am not planning to really give in this early in the game. 

1. Thank you for posting your favorite recipes with hyperlinks. That's awesome!

2. I will not be buying nuts. They are a slippery slope for me.

3. First day was great but M3 portions were large. Bought pricey NY strip steak and I ate what my kids didn't finish because the thought of tossing it seemed wasteful. And in the back of my mind I'm thinking "It's compliant so it's okay."

4. My vinegars have sulfites even though there's nothing non-compliant in the ingredient list. I know vinegars (not malt) are approved. Any answers?

Surviving day 2 without too much discomfort. I'm amazed at how often my thoughts turn to food, not for hunger, but for comfort. If I had a dollar for every thought I had today about eating something non-compliant, I could retire next week! I did wake up with a headache, but it turned out to be a minor one. And aside from feeling a bit icky, it was a decent day. I did learn that I need more for breakfast. I had leftover round steak and mashed cauliflower (made with coconut milk & clarified butter), but not a big enough serving. That meant a spoonful of almond butter, and a hardboiled egg (not together though!! LOL). 

M1: round steak and cauliflower, pineapple with coconut milk

M1.5: HB egg, spoonful of almond butter

M2: classic chili with extra veggies, 1/2 avocado

M3: ground turkey breast sauteed with cole slaw mix and broccoli slaw, seasoned with sesame oil, coconut aminos & hot sauce, 1/2 avocado

Will likely use the M3 turkey and veggies often, seasoned Asian-style, Mexican style, or maybe just with some cl. butter. Easy and SO tasty!

Thanks, everyone, for all the sharing. So nice to not have to go through this alone. 

Archived