Starting September 14th - Accountability

Itsmegdean

Has anyone made "mayo" yet? I looked up some recipes but they seems to require using an immersion blender, which I don't have. Any tips?

mimi,

I make mayo all the time and started off using Melissa Joulwan's recipe.  I've found avocado oil works better for me...the taste isn't as strong as (even light) olive oil.

Top tip:  Make sure to listen to her advice about SLOWLY pouring the oil into the blender.   ;)

Let us know how it goes when you make it!  And if goes wrong, know that you can always make delicious salad dressing out of botched mayo!   :D

• Replies 400
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello all, I started my Whole30 on the 14th aswell. Great to see all the comments and support you are providing one another. Would love to jump in and hear about what everyone is eating and how they are finding the receipes from the book, are they easy to follow? I am not much of a cook and like simple things. If you guys don't mind.... Let me know!!

Thanks

Has anyone made "mayo" yet? I looked up some recipes but they seems to require using an immersion blender, which I don't have. Any tips?

I did but I learned the hard way that you have to follow the directions & add things in slowly - especially the EVOO.  I didn't noticed until it was too late.  It all separated in the fridge.  My second batch turned out great.

Hello everyone.

I read thru this thread last night then had a heck of a time finding it later.  Hopefully posting here will help me find it again.

I also started on September 14 and am going solo. My husband is supportive and he and my son (8 yo) are eating the Whole 30 meals for dinner.  I am using the book for the 7 day meal plan/tips. 

Day One was not too bad, as I have been eating mostly Paleo for almost 3 weeks....BUT I was still having some alcohol (okay more than SOME) and stuff like gum and mints here and there.

Looking forward to this journey and keeping on track with y'all.

I love these salmon cakes... I made a double batch of these to bake tonight 

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

And I cover it with this

http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2009/07/21/sunshine-sauce/

Also re: the mayo- it's important to have everything at room temperature. And, I use my ninja blender to make mine. 

Hello all, I started my Whole30 on the 14th aswell. Great to see all the comments and support you are providing one another. Would love to jump in and hear about what everyone is eating and how they are finding the receipes from the book, are they easy to follow? I am not much of a cook and like simple things. If you guys don't mind.... Let me know!!

Thanks

I think the recipes in the Whole30 book at pretty straightforward and easy to follow. I've made a handful of the recipes and they've all turned out great! I also like http://nomnompaleo.comand http://theclothesmakethegirl.com for recipes. 

I'm glad to see all you guys post about making the mayonnaise. For whatever reason I've been really intimidated by it but I think I'm going to try making some tonight.

Also going to try taking in some extra water to battle the afternoon slump. I'm really hopeful that after the first week or so my energy levels will even out. I've started using a tracker to track my sleep and it looks like I've been pretty restless the past few nights. I'm really interested to see if changing my diet helps me sleep better! Thanks for all the great tips! 

Just found this thread...started yesterday too!  I'm in an afternoon slump already. Just. So. Tired.  Black coffee is my friend. Black coffee is my friend. Black coffee is my friend.

My biggest struggles are with giving up my whole milk latte each morning..and sometimes afternoon, who am I kidding.  I also am a slave to a sweet (usually chocolate) treat after the kiddos are in bed.  

Here's to cracking those addictions!

make sure you are eating enough starchy carbs (i.e. sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc). that is what helps me get through the fatigue that happens in the first week. I usually do half a sweet potato at breakfast and the other half at dinner. going too low carb too soon is killer on the body.

Love the burrito dream. It's slump time for me, so I'm drinking water and breathing slowly. When I slow down it helps me regain a little balance.

Make sure you're including enough fat in your meals. Starchy carbs will help with headaches, and the transition from the old diet to the new, but fat will provide energy & is necessary for optimal brain health.... And keep drinking that water!

If you'd like mayo but (like me) you're too lazy to make it, I really love Primal Kitchen Mayo (https://www.primalblueprint.com/mayo-12-oz/). Yeah, it's pretty costly but it is freakin' DELICIOUS. As in, the best mayo I've ever tasted.

Today's going all right - I tried a new recipe for breakfast & it was so awful I choked down one serving then threw out the rest of the batch (http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/grain-free-cinnamon-apple-breakfast-porridge/ for the morbidly curious). Afterwards, I realized it wasn't a great meal anyway - lots of fruits & nuts, not much protein, no veggies. I made some paleo bacon, drank some tea, & chalked it up as a learning experience.

Lunch was great - I made turkey wraps, using big leaves of romaine for the wraps. I used Primal Kitchen Mayo, so of course it was delicious. I had a few strawberries & some kombucha. 

Dinner's going to be rotisserie chicken, roasted potatoes, & broccoli. YUM.

mimi,

I make mayo all the time and started off using Melissa Joulwan's recipe.  

I've made a batch roughly once a week for the last three months using Melissa Joulwin's recipe also. I've cut back to just 1cup of the extra light olive oil, I literally dump everything in, let it settle a few minutes and then use my stick blender. I've been known to not even have the lemon and egg at room temperature. Call me lucky, but no fails yet. Search mayo and you'll find lots more discussion on this.

I still feel a little apprehensive when I make it; It always feels like a miracle as it emulsifiers into mayo! I went to a Labor Day cookout and was asked to bring my mayo as my contribution. Tastes so good....

Today's going all right - I tried a new recipe for breakfast & it was so awful I choked down one serving then threw out the rest of the batch (http://thenourishinghome.com/2014/10/grain-free-cinnamon-apple-breakfast-porridge/ for the morbidly curious). Afterwards, I realized it wasn't a great meal anyway - lots of fruits & nuts, not much protein, no veggies. I made some paleo bacon, drank some tea, & chalked it up as a learning experience.

I've made that porridge (but the pumpkin recipe) and sort of liked it as something different. Really pricey to make though! I also came to the realization that it isn't the greatest standalone meal. :) 

I've made that porridge (but the pumpkin recipe) and sort of liked it as something different. Really pricey to make though! I also came to the realization that it isn't the greatest standalone meal. :)

Yeah these 'porridge' type or 'fauxmeal' dishes really don't meet the meal template of protein, fats, & veggies, and are best avoided until after your Whole30.

The one linked here is particularly fat heavy (egg yolk, almonds. cashews, walnuts, coconut flakes, coconut milk and ghee!!), and contains no protein...

Once you stop thinking of breakfast in the traditional sense and start thinking of it as meal one you'll be amazed at what you can eat at that time of day & thoroughly enjoy it. My meal one today for instance was my own hybrid Whole30 version of chicken mole with oven braised kale & zucchini. 

Day 2 went well for me. Made the "perfect burgers" in the oven and they turned out fine, very dense (meat was 90/10). I'm going to try to make some sort of hash out of the leftovers tonight with mushrooms and onions.

Today I do feel a little worn out, as expected from reading the timeline in the book. But I'm feeling emotionally energized at the same time. Interesting how my body and mind are adjusting to the new fuel. Good luck to everyone today!

I made my first mayo ever last night (also using Melissa Joulwin's recipe), and it turned out great, but boy do I wish that I had an immersion blender.  Drizzling the olive oil in took forever!  I have decided that when I make it through two weeks, I can buy an immersion blender.  (When I make it through the full thirty days, I can buy a fancy food processor I have had my eyes on...)  Bribing myself is okay if it's not with my usual chocolate and cheese, right?

I really want to get an immersion blender as well. Not only to make mayo but small batches of soups and dressings.

Today is treat day at work and talk about willpower: picking up 2 dozen freshly baked donuts from the local donut shop to contribute. I also brought watermelon and things for a baked potato bar so at least I am able to add those last 2 things to my lunch!

Archived