Brewer5: No Training Wheels

Brewer5

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am still working on feeding the kids.   :wacko:

My middle (Feingold) says "I just wish I had more options!"

He is PICKY.  He wants to deny he's picky.  I'm like, look, my other two kids will eat just about anything I put in front of them.

A.n.y.t.h.i.n.g.

Come here, kid, I'll give you options..........  haha   :lol:

He settled on a nice salad with bacon, hard-boiled egg, ranch.  We just had to have drama first.

Many members on the WD30 threads read Brain Over Binge.  

One of the last steps in the process that I remember was to get excited.  It was considered a bonus.  By taking extra delight - changes were sped up in the brain.  By not acting on the urges for what I call thrill eating and learning how to detach from this brain wiring - you  just have to disagree with the urges.  

You stop believing that it's hard for you to quit and stop reacting to thrill eating urges as if they're a normal routine for your life. The lower brain puts up a fight but with practice you learn to detach by disagreeing with those cravings or urges.

The lower brain is so conditioned to automatically react like a robot to cravings or trigger foods that it's on automatic pilot.  But your higher brain knows what's best for you.  True detachment from thrill or binge eating brings you joy.

As each urge comes and you deploy your detachment/disagreement skill - you inch closer and closer to the real you.   The life you want and deserve.

As we've all learned here, if you're not eating sufficiently or you're over-restricting - your brain is still in survival mode.   Survival mode is much harder to detach from than thrill eating.

So if anyone is over-restricting, it's a set-up for a hook-up with another full on food bender blow-out.  Dieting is not compatible with a Whole 30.  Worrying about the good dietary fats will only put you further in the hole.  

The brain needs to feel safe before it will let you detach/disagree with thrill eating urges. 

Another step was to treat those constant thoughts..."Ooooo, it's sooo hard to resist the urges or cravings" as complete neurological junk.   Just let those thoughts come and go without getting caught up in them. 

Thrill eating is not necessary for survival.  It's an activity of using food for pure entertainment with play foods.

By visiting with Brewer, Kmlynne, jmcbn...they're dragging things out of my brain.   No BS up in here.  We're not entertaining one another but are speaking from the abundance of our hearts.  

From the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaks.   They're helping me stick the landing.  I'm not using song and dance to divert my attention  from pulling the rest of that neurological junk out of my head. cavitysearch-smiley.gif?1292867566

Thrill eating is not necessary for survival.  It's an activity of using food for pure entertainment with play foods.

There were many things said to my son tonight about food, but I actually did say to him:  

"Our food does not have to be exciting.  It is not meant to be entertainment, and it does not always have to be something different.  Some days we will eat the same things over and over.  Food is supposed to be fuel for our bodies.  When I come home late from football and I am just trying to get everyone fed -- I really don't want to hear about what we don't have in the house.  Let's talk about the options that we DO have."

I have kept in touch with one friend from high school.  

I hated high school.  Passionately.

Anyway, she had to have a hysterectomy yesterday.  Poor woman had been through so much pain -- years and years of having a fibroid tumor (still managed to have three children).  Lately it had just gotten worse and worse.  No one could figure out what was going on with her.  More and more symptoms.

"Well, it could be this, well it could be that, well we could try this, or this, or this, and, well, you may end up having to have a hysterectomy anyway..."

She called me because she knows I'm a straight-shooter and don't beat around the bush.  She knew I'd tell it to her straight.

I said, "Friend, what do you need that uterus for anyway?"  And she said, "Yeah, that's what I'm thinking!"   :lol:

Come to find out -- once they got in there -- not only did she still have a large fibroid tumor on the back of her uterus "screaming at her", as she put it -- but her bladder had attached itself to the scar tissue on her uterus from her last child -- a C-section.  

Well, needless to say, she's happy to have that thing out of there.  They wanted to do things to her that I won't even describe here because it honestly made me feel a little sweaty-palmed and shaky while she was telling me about it on the phone!  I was like, no thank you!  Just get it out!  (She got to keep her ovaries, which, as we all know, are what produce the hormones.)  

So tomorrow, I may be going up there to see her and help out with the kids, etc.  I haven't seen her in over a year.  It's a bit of a trip.

I don't have many friends.  But one thing is for sure:  I am loyal to the ones I do have.  If you have earned a spot in my heart, I will fiercely protect you and do whatever I can to help you.  I'm here for you, ladies.  Thanks for being here for me, too.  :)

I said, "Friend, what do you need that uterus for anyway?"  And she said, "Yeah, that's what I'm thinking!"   :lol)

Brewer5 - you are a great friend :). Your friends story sounds familiar - glad she got it taken care of - she will feel so much better after she recovers. Pls tell her she is in my prayers :)

Brewer5 - you are a great friend :). Your friends story sounds familiar - glad she got it taken care of - she will feel so much better after she recovers. Pls tell her she is in my prayers :)

Thank you, Karen.   :wub:

I was thinking of your situation, too, as I was typing that out.

So, this has nothing to do with the conversations - but I just have to shout out a "non-scale victory"....

Today - hiked 11.5 miles, then went to work

Fitbit numbers:  32,000+ steps

15.85 miles for the day

295 flights of stairs

Have to admit that when I saw how close to 300 flights I was, I almost ran out to see if I could get 5 more in...  then realized it was 1140 at night.....

Although I have not been super compliant to w30 lately, I couldn't have accomplished this without eating well :)

Karen, that is SO awesome!   :o

Do you get to sleep ALL day tomorrow?  haha

You know what I did?  I stood at this computer tonight chatting with y'all and I almost missed getting my last 1,000 steps!

I had to race around and around my house before midnight.  LOL

...Seriously, though.  Awesome numbers.   You will be ready for that Grand Canyon, for sure!

When I come home late from football and I am just trying to get everyone fed -- I really don't want to hear about what we don't have in the house. Let's talk about the options that we DO have."

Zig Ziglar has a bit about when his doctor put him on a diet to lose weight:

"Good news, Zig, on this diet you can eat anything you want.

and here I've prepared a list, of all the foods you're gonna want!"

:)

Ive not read a lot of articles about fat adaptation, but in personal experience, it works for me.

I do have to be careful to be healthy about it, however.  Just getting rid of processed carbs (sweets, breads, pastas,etc) is enough.  I think that if someone tries to get rid of all carbs (those found in veggies and fruit for example) can end up causing other possibly long term problems.  Our bodies are made for a healthy balanced diet - a balance of fruits, veggies, protein and fats - thus the premise for w30 :)

I have found that when I try to go "extremely low carb", I don't feel good - probably because I hike so much. (Just wish all that activity would bring some of this weight off - must be in my genes  :P ).  But there is a fine line between enough and too much!

Brewer5

Ive been looking into the Feingold diet a little bit.  In theory, it sounds good, but it seems that there is very little strong evidence that it truly helped.  A couple articles seemed to think that the change away from processed foods to whole foods was the biggest help - and many articles don't even believe that it is the food that makes the biggest difference either.  Many of the articles were concerned with the restrictiveness of the diet and lack of a balanced diet that leads to deficiencies.

That all being said, I know that you know nutrition :)  

I have a friend with four kids.  Three of them have food allergies (each kid at least two - all different for each kid).  A couple of them also have ADD/ADHD She has had some success with diet control.  I don't know if it is mostly because of the allergies, but there is a difference.

Good luck with your successes in this journey - and your sons :)

Karen, I can't tell you how much I wish you could hear some of the podcasts I've listened to.  

There are people who have switched over to being able to run on fat (your body fat as well as dietary fat) who can do endurance-type exercise forever and ever, just running on fat.  And they feel GREAT.  Your brain on ketones is an amazing thing.  

There was an older couple I remember really well -- it was such a cool story.  They were on Jimmy Moore's podcast, I think.  They were in their 60's and 70's and had been cycling for years.  They talked about the difference, once they were truly fat adapted -- being able to stop at the "rest points" on these bike journeys, and while everyone else is having to refuel with carbs of some sort, they just drank water.  People thought they were nuts.  Nope.  They just felt absolutely, perfectly fine, for miles and miles, running on fat.  They didn't need anything else.

I think if you could get past that initial hump of carb-flu (this process lasts weeks for some people) -- and the idea that humans need to have fruit every day to be healthy -- well...  I think you could see some different progress.  Your body doesn't have any reason to tap into those fat stores as long as it is getting a steady stream of glucose.  I am not picking on you, you know that -- I'm just able to look at your situation through a different lens.

--------

And you posted about Feingold while I was typing this.  I will have to respond about that later.  :)

Archived