Best Fruits, Whole30

iteach

Greetings!

We're writing out a shopping list this weekend for next week's meals, and wondering what are the best fruits for Whole 30.

Of course fall is here and apples and oranges are being poured into the stores and local farm market stands. We know these fruits are loaded with more sugar than the basic berries and cherries (no longer in season around here); but they're natural sugar of course. 

What is the best fruits for Whole30?

Thanks in advance for the help. 

I think rule of thumb is seasonal is best :)

Thank you for this response! We (I forgot to mention, my husband and I) thought to stick to this basic idea, but since I've read the book and tried to look through the website, I couldn't find something that said just this; but then again, it's probably somewhere hiding in both areas. We ended up buying apples and bananas, and waiting for next pay day to get the oranges.

Coconut, avocado, olives ;)

I see what you did there. ;) But in all honesty, I was looking for the other types of fruits such as what I asked about to stay Whole30 compliant. Thank you for your response though.

c'mon Kirkor, what about tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, bell pepper...?

Interesting to see how many types of foods are classified as "fruits" these days.

Thank you for this response! We (I forgot to mention, my husband and I) thought to stick to this basic idea, but since I've read the book and tried to look through the website, I couldn't find something that said just this; but then again, it's probably somewhere hiding in both areas. We ended up buying apples and bananas, and waiting for next pay day to get the oranges.

I see what you did there.  ;) But in all honesty, I was looking for the other types of fruits such as what I asked about to stay Whole30 compliant. Thank you for your response though.

Interesting to see how many types of foods are classified as "fruits" these days.

Any fresh fruit is Whole30 compliant. Dried fruit (with no off-plan ingredients added) is also permitted, yet recommended in limited quantities. 

To clarify on the tongue-in-cheek comments above :), on a Whole30, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and bell pepper are vegetables. Coconut, avocado and olives are fats.  I believe the posters were indirectly encouraging you (and anyone else who reads this thread) to consume options like these instead of fruit. 

To that end, several noteworthy points about fruit on a Whole30:
- fruit is optional
- a serving size is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. 
- if you choose to have fruit, for best results, keep your intake to no more than 1-2 servings a day.  Also, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate (as vegetables tend to have more nutrients than fruit).  Build each of your meals to meet the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat.
- don't use fruit by itself as a snack.  Have fruit along with your meals. 

• Administrators

I learned this earlier this year (and I'm in my mid to late 30's...went my whole life without knowing the difference between a fruit and a veggie!).  Who knew?!

To sum it up – if it is from a plant and has seeds (or would have seeds if it wasn’t genetically engineered or cultivated to not have them, as with things like seedless grapes), it is a fruit; if it doesn't, it is a vegetable.

Edited to add: Chris is right though, Whole30 concerns itself with the common classification of fruits and veggies.  I just thought that the botanical classification thing was interesting and thought you might too.  :)

As a biologist, anything containing a seed is a fruit (even the little maple tree helicopters are fruits), while veggies generally grow underground and bare their seeds in other structures on the plant (think onion with the flower on top containing the seeds. :) 

• Moderators

Personally I try to stick to berries. But you can bet I'm having a little bit of what's in season, too. Anything that didn't travel 500 miles on a truck tastes better to me.

I rarely eat a whole piece of fruit out of hand. Try using it as an accent to your dishes. Also, grilled peaches served alongside your meat? WOWWWWW.

Any fresh fruit is Whole30 compliant. Dried fruit (with no off-plan ingredients added) is also permitted, yet recommended in limited quantities. 

To clarify on the tongue-in-cheek comments above :), on a Whole30, tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini and bell pepper are vegetables. Coconut, avocado and olives are fats.  I believe the posters were indirectly encouraging you (and anyone else who reads this thread) to consume options like these instead of fruit. 

To that end, several noteworthy points about fruit on a Whole30:

- fruit is optional

- a serving size is a whole piece of fruit the size of your fist. 

- if you choose to have fruit, for best results, keep your intake to no more than 1-2 servings a day.  Also, don't let fruit push vegetables off your plate (as vegetables tend to have more nutrients than fruit).  Build each of your meals to meet the recommended meal template of 1-2 palms of protein, 1-3 cups of veggies and a compliant fat.

- don't use fruit by itself as a snack.  Have fruit along with your meals. 

I completely understood their response, thank you! 

Thank you for the added information about the dried fruits and the serving suggestions. I could eat fruit and nothing else--but being on Whole30 to regain control of eating habits, I'm learning to limit myself to one a day. I look forward to it at lunch time when I know I have to go 5 more hours until dinner time. 

I learned this earlier this year (and I'm in my mid to late 30's...went my whole life without knowing the difference between a fruit and a veggie!).  Who knew?!

To sum it up – if it is from a plant and has seeds (or would have seeds if it wasn’t genetically engineered or cultivated to not have them, as with things like seedless grapes), it is a fruit; if it doesn't, it is a vegetable.

Edited to add: Chris is right though, Whole30 concerns itself with the common classification of fruits and veggies.  I just thought that the botanical classification thing was interesting and thought you might too.   :)

Definitely brings back my college years in the botany class!

As a biologist, anything containing a seed is a fruit (even the little maple tree helicopters are fruits), while veggies generally grow underground and bare their seeds in other structures on the plant (think onion with the flower on top containing the seeds. :)

Suddenly I have visions of eating these with my meal...just because they're considered a "fruit". It's a fun mental image. :)

Personally I try to stick to berries. But you can bet I'm having a little bit of what's in season, too. Anything that didn't travel 500 miles on a truck tastes better to me.

I rarely eat a whole piece of fruit out of hand. Try using it as an accent to your dishes. Also, grilled peaches served alongside your meat? WOWWWWW.

I LOVE berries! We have zero berries in season---grapes are awesome and turning into wine all around us though. Oh, my mouth just salivated over grilling peaches! Thank you for saying that!

The only berries I eat out of season are frozen. Stuff shipped from other countries have little nutrition left.

Such a great reminder! I wish I had thought to can or freeze berries from this past season. Maybe next year!

Archived