The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

There you go Meadow, making me think about what I'm saying again.  :)  I will make every effort to change that terminology to "eating healthy" instead of "eating clean."  I am thinking about "after" much more this time and taking the reintroduction process seriously.  I want to maintain my good health and more pleasant circumstances, it's going to take planning and commitment to the habits I'm trying so hard to build this time.  No quick fix, in it for the long haul.

In the meantime, being it's my halfway point of 30 today, I did treat myself.  To a new pair of yoga pants and an immersion blender. :)  I am making chocolate chili tomorrow for the first time and I have everything to make seafood creole after that.  Good stuff.

Pickle, you have my admiration.  That is a very stressful field you are in, my sister put in nearly 30 years before her own health declined.  I love the walk in the rain as a de-stresser.  When I stayed with my grandmother as a child, we always used to head for the woods when it rained.  My mom thought we were nuts but I loved it.

LV8n, way to deal.  I think you are indeed building strength there.

Hang in there, Jonica.  We'll be here when you can get back to the program.  I hope your husband is doing better, that has to be tough.

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know that weekends are when I usually lose sight of what the end game is so having everyone here for inspiration is helping tremendously.  Just feeling like I am accountable to the Crew helps me make better choices.  When I feel a bad choice coming on I remind myself to "get out of your own way" and that helps me avoid self-sabotage.  For the ones that have never tried coconut oil in their coffee, about a year ago I tried it for the first time thinking that it would be nasty but it turned out very tasty!  I admit that I do use the refined coconut oil instead of the extra virgin because I don't like a strong taste of coconut.  When it is blended well it magically turns a beautiful color with foam on the top.  I like my coffee very hot too so after I blend it I just nuke it a bit.  I used to just have it occasionally, for a treat, because I always drank my coffee black anyway but then I realized that I actually felt like I got a good energy boost afterward so now I am drinking it most days.  For those of you that make your own clarified butter, what do you use to strain it through?  I have tried in the past but usually make a big mess and feel like I don't get it strained well enough. Thanks for any advice.  

Hi

I made my Ghee in the crock pot and strained it using coffee filters. As I am one of the world's messiest people when I do anything, it made a huge mess and I ended up using more and more filters to sort it out. Finally got it all cleaned up and put away then thought about how I could do it next time and decided I would use the jelly bag method: cone shaped colander set on a tripod with a muslin/cheesecloth or cotton cone-shaped bag, fill it with the hot mixture and let it drip through. Or you could use muslin/cheesecloth in a round colander and let it drip into a container. Or you could use coffee filters but be more adept than I am. Or you may even come up with a better idea--if so, please let me know. :)

So glad you liked it and it worked for you! I love making ghee that way. And the coconut butter is wonderful too.

Am searching for a source of coconut flakes or shredded coconut and am going to try making it this week. I told my friend about it and she is going to try it as well.

Hi, All. Hanging in, even though today was one of those "Kill All the Things" days. Like many people, I have a very difficult relationship with my mom. In my case, mine is alcoholic and has borderline personality disorder. I got to a point this evening where I had to physically remove myself from her presence and go for a drive because I was feeling so much anger towards her. And hoo boy, could I feel that old compulsion to piledrive carbs roaring inside. I'm happy to say, I didn't act on it. Instead, I got curious and wondered what might emerge if I *didn't* stuff it all back down. It certainly wasn't pleasant, but it didn't kill me, either. And I didn't self-destruct with food. Had I done so, I could now be wallowing in post-binge self loathing, guilt & regret, but instead I'm just feeling angry & sad... and a little bit stronger, because I exercised my greatest and truest freedom -- the ability to choose my response. And I chose to remain present. Meadow Lily -- thank you so much for your wise, insightful posts -- when I got back from my drive, I went up to the guest bedroom, closed the door, and logged on to the forum. I read through your posts, and they made me smile. By the time I got to the Beetlejuice post, it made me laugh out loud. Thank you, and thank you C_Cezeau, for the props. :) Y'all are a lifeline out here.

Rough seas, but that's life. Still worth the trip, especially with a great crew. :)

I am so impressed you chose to remain present with the difficulties and chose a response that serves you. Sending love and light. 

So, yes I disappered. Husband had a reaction to medicines and we ended back up in urgent care. Fell competely off the wagon. I did discover I am a huge STRESS EATER.

I plan on starting again after we get this fridge fixed. Cant keep foods safe and stable in a cooler for longer than a day or two. And I use my own mayo and dressing far more than I thought.

Dont worry the man is coming out on monday to look at the fridge and order the part if it can be fixed. If not then we will see about a mid size fridge until we pay off the stove we just brought on loan. And medicial bills. Its amazing how expensive an ambulance ride is from urgent care to the hospital when it was only 2.5 miles away! I would have tossed him in the car if he wasnt hooked up to 6 different medicines in an iv!

Oh, dear, what a time you have been having. Hopefully things will settle down now, hope your husband is feeling better--and you. Take care of you.xxx

All - welcome to day 7! For those of you who are struggling......thank you so much for sharing these struggles with the group. Getting them off of your chest can be very helpful and the advice that is given in return is heartfelt and, hopefully, helpful.

I FAILED to do my chore yesterday......kind of. I was supposed to straighten a closet, garage, etc.....but instead I spent five hours taking out all of the window screens, pressure washing the house, the deck, the patio furniture, sidewalks, and cleaning all of the windows! Wow....what a difference. I was achy at the end of the day and probably over did it a bit but a hot bath and early bed seems to have put me right. 

Today I am heading off to a car show so I will leave a little early so I have time to do the last minute clean up of my '66 Mercury Comet! It's a chilly 38 degrees out but supposed to be a beautiful day!

Have a great day everyone!

Dave

DAVE! you did not fail to do your chore. You did not specify what clutter was. I think the window screens, siding, windows, deck and porch could be qualified as cluttered.... with spider webs, bugs, leaves, dirt, moss... well you get the drift! Context... I uncluttered my kitchen sink from 2 days worth of dishes. :D Full speed ahead, SIR!

Hi

I made my Ghee in the crock pot and strained it using coffee filters. As I am one of the world's messiest people when I do anything, it made a huge mess and I ended up using more and more filters to sort it out. Finally got it all cleaned up and put away then thought about how I could do it next time and decided I would use the jelly bag method: cone shaped colander set on a tripod with a muslin/cheesecloth or cotton cone-shaped bag, fill it with the hot mixture and let it drip through. Or you could use muslin/cheesecloth in a round colander and let it drip into a container. Or you could use coffee filters but be more adept than I am. Or you may even come up with a better idea--if so, please let me know. :)

I guess I take the easy way out. I melt the butter in a pan, and immediately pour it through cheesecloth into a small glass bowl. One time, I tried to squeeze more of the clarified butter out of the cheesecloth and ended up squeezing all the milk solids back into the bowl. I strained it again, and then skipped the squeezing next time! I bought ghee once, but didn't care for the flavor of it, so the easy (lazy? LOL) way works for me. 

KSByer, no need to apologize for continuing to post your meals. I don't post mine but I do write down everything I eat and I take a picture of my meal. No later rationalizing as to what or how much I actually ate. I also go back and look at the pictures when I need a meal idea.

The Whole30 is not just about food, but also about coming to grips with why we eat and improving our life so that food is no longer the centerpiece.

Take a Brain Dump.  

Staying stuck in your own head will keep you there forever.

The entire time during my first WD30 thread...1.5 years ago,  I was thinking about the End Game.  How and  What will I do on Day 31.  I was scrambling throughout the threads,  digging and researching for my answers.

What is a Reintroduction Phase and How do I go about it.   I didn't wait until Day 31.  I knew I had to be ready and willing to conduct a proper reintroduction phase for my answers.   I chose the Slow Roll. 

I went Ooooo sooooo slooooow to buy myself some time.  The Whole 30 is a Food Reset but the Head Reset will take you much further.   Whole 30 is only 30 days and it's not a Whole 365.   Many have tried and flopped. It was not designed to be a 'way of life' or for 365 days.   

You have to create your own personal and individualized plan based on your Reintroduction Phase.  I call mine...Positive Food Management Plan.  Yours will be different from others.   We are not identical unless you're cloning yourself and well, we'll save that for another day.

The simple, nonnegotiable principles of a Whole 30 are comforting.  Comfort play foods are not and never will be.  They are deceivers.  Imposters. SWYPO's   = Swapped out versions of play foods that will get you nowhere good.  SWYPO's  SWIPE-O's.

Whole 30 is not a 30 day diet.   We are not dieters.  Using those words flies in the face of what a Whole 30 is all about.   It is a Food Reset.  

You can return back to original factory settings.  Take a Brain Dump.

Spend some serious quality time here, planning your own strategy.  Take complete responsibility for yourself.   No excuses.  We're adults now.

You already know what your Big Kahuna Trigger Foods are.   When you belly up to the buffet table...do you fall back into pasta, bread, pizza and baked goods?   Are you so hooked on grains in general and bread in particular that you have to  EAT  ALL  THE   THINGS....ALL OF THE TIME.

You know.   You already know the play foods that marsh your mellow.  Do you let potato chips sweep you off your feet.  Last time I checked, death from lack of cheetos seems highly unlikely.  So round up all of your usual suspects and trigger foods.   

Allow this period of 30 days of stability - without any trigger foods at all - be your guide to overall health and well being.

MeadowLily you give such wonderful posts that set me to thinking. I appreciate what you say very much. I've been mulling over what I'm going to do after this Whole30 is over and this afternoon I'm going to start commiting my thoughts into my journal. By the time we're done, I'll have my plan in place.

I guess I take the easy way out. I melt the butter in a pan, and immediately pour it through cheesecloth into a small glass bowl. One time, I tried to squeeze more of the clarified butter out of the cheesecloth and ended up squeezing all the milk solids back into the bowl. I strained it again, and then skipped the squeezing next time! I bought ghee once, but didn't care for the flavor of it, so the easy (lazy? LOL) way works for me. 

It sounds more like you are making clarified butter than ghee. Ghee takes a long time to brown the milk solids, even in a crockpot.

Honesty is the first chapter in the book of Wisdom.   We have to be willing to turn around and really look at our own multi-crap that got us nowhere good.   We have to tear ourselves down to build ourselves back UP again.  

It took me a long time to realize that life is full of things that lead right back to our identified food triggers.  I have successfully kicked many of those old triggers by being on guard at all times.  It does get easier and it is soooo worth it. 

I call myself and others around me call me WD30.   WD40 fixes everything.   Everything.

WD30 fixed me.    WD30 -  like WD40 - is a super fat.   SUPER FATS will  kick those old habits.  Snackstorms of potato chips rolling across the plains will no longer sweep you off your feet.   WD30 rolls off my tongue and I now identify with super fats.   Protein and Fat.  STAT.

Get your arsenal of Super Fats together.  They are the arrows in your quiver. Don't leave home without them.   Protein gets you lean and Fats are where it's at.    Trade UP for lean muscle mass and release the dangerous kind of fat from your body. 

A calorie is not a calorie.  

100 calories of play food multi-crap can't compete with an egg.  There are certain foods...SUPER FATS... that you can eat and you don't ever have to worry about gaining an ounce.  You don't have to count calories...never ever.

A Whole 30 is the ratchet effect.   You completely change what you eat and you will fire that metabolism UP.   If you continually feed your body what it needs,  those old triggers that used to lure you into a corner become a flash in the pan.  Ancient history.  Gone.

wd-40-smart-straw-voc-12oz_straw_up_righ

Dave...how's the recovery coming along from your most recent surgery?  I see it hasn't slowed you down...like at all.   Are you still making mayo?   I prefer balsamic reductions. 

Do you remember your first time out of the Whole 30 chute?  Ewwweeeee,  that was a rodeo.  I think I was pouting for awhile.  Then,  I snapped out of it.    It was touchy and like walking on eggshells.  I cried whenever the water was running down the sink while doing dishes.   I would turn my face to the wall and let the tears fall.

When I started hiking the ridge,  my legs would buckle and my head was swoony.   I thought I might pass out up and lay there.   The thought of bears chewing my hiney off kept me going.   I didn't let my family see me cry and I sucked it up, buttercup.   I didn't show outwardly what was going on inwardly.   I clammed up and barely talked.

Then the Universe beckoned out to me and said let it rip.  I've been blathering on and foaming at the mouth ever since our first Whole 30.   Bear says....who are you talking with...Ooooo, don't tell me...your WD30 folks again.   

I sing songs in the shower and I have made several up about being WD30.   He sneaks in and listens.  I catch him doing that all of the time.  I turn around quickly in the grocery store and I'll see several of his buddies who've stopped by for a coffee break and they're following me around the aisles.   Sometimes, it gives me the willies but they call the Bear up and give him a full report.

Some don't recognize me and that's just fine.   When you went to that seminar and the man said only talk about weight in terms of  "releasing it" rather than losing it.....that's exactly what I've been doing since you shared that.

I never say I've lost anything because I have no frickity frick frick intention of ever finding it again.    I have released that lard out into the ethers.   It went out to the sun and it was burned up in the form of solar flaring.  Sun storms have already melted that lard and it's not coming back to me.     That lard was used to light up dark and dreary places in the world where people are crying from really tough times.

So.... Daaaaaveeeee.    Thanks a million for being my mentor to suck it up, buttercup.  Quit being a bawl baby and distract myself with chores.   Take a BRAIN DUMP.   GET IT DONE ALREADY.   

I will keep dancing with the one who brought me.   Branded diets may come and go,  drops, drinks, smoothies and bars.  All of it is a bunch of hooey,  I'm hear to tell you now.   I do not honestly know how I found the Whole 30 book .    No one shared it with me.  No one.

I read my book and I came to the forum.   I met Dave and the WD30 gang.  I've never left and it has changed my life.   My heart belongs to Whole 30.   

Let's talk amongst ourselves.   Do you know why the Universe lurves Dave?   Because he allows you to have your quirky sense of humor,  he gets your jokes without going into any translation whatsover and he doesn't analyze or judge you.   

Several of you have completed many Whole 30's.  You know the rules by rote and can quote them.  The rules are nonnegotiable.   Follow them...they'll make Dave proud.

We can read a million books and even eat all of the covers but without the spiritual component...they're lacking a key ingredient to success.    Have you found the spiritual component yet?   Dig down deep into the depths of your soul and you will find it. 

Start poking around through all of the W30 archives.  In your moments of great temptations...the spiritual component is what's going to pull you through until you stick the landing.    Body.  Mind.  Spirit.  

With those three, you're UP and running on all cylinders like a well-oiled machine.   

Thanks for the tips for making ghee/clarified butter.  I have only tasted ghee once, from the store, and I didn't like it at all.  Tasted like rancid butter to me.  Is that what it's supposed to taste like? Maybe it was rancid!  Does homemade ghee taste better than storebought?  It's funny, I made the same mistake trying to squeeze butter through the cheesecloth when making clarified butter - ruined it and had to strain it again.  I'll try again with the suggestions.  Thanks.  Day 7 half over and I haven't had cravings like I thought I would - of course that might change at any moment.  For everyone that has such busy lives and especially with challenges with ill family members, my heart goes out to you.  Take a deep breath - maybe unplug as suggested - be present with your loved ones even in difficult times.  Haven't started actually planning exactly what to do after Day 30 but will do a structured reintroduction - have had many failed attempts at this in the past but this time I will be able to achieve that goal.  Everyone have a great day!

Archived