The Columbus Crew

dcducks1

I made my first mayo too!  LOVE that I can now add this back into my meals!  However, I just about cried when my smoked salmon had sugar in it!  So, I ate steak (and tons of roasted broccoli, with  a little mayo inspired dipping sauce) instead for dinner last night! 

I have made a mental list of food items to pack for the weekend and hope my family is supportive.  I'll pack the cooler this afternoon!

Two eggs over fresh salsa with a side of roasted potatoes this morning for breakfast!  Now, off to ride a horse for the morning!

Ack!  I just checked my smoked salmon, and it had sugar added too!

• Replies 839
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I tried once and failed miserably!  3 tries? Maybe there is hope?

I struggled with the mayo at first too!  I tried 3-4 times without any success until I tried this recipe. 

Someone from one of the other groups recommended this recipe and it's worked every time for me!  I also got an immersion blender which you can pick up for around $15 at Walmart. It was well worth it and I think clean up is a little bit easier. I bought a jar that my immersion blender fits well in and then I just store the mayo in that jar. 

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Don't worry, you'll get it. And once you do, it'll be easy, breezy!

I struggled with the mayo at first too!  I tried 3-4 times without any success until I tried this recipe. 

Someone from one of the other groups recommended this recipe and it's worked every time for me!  I also got an immersion blender which you can pick up for around $15 at Walmart. It was well worth it and I think clean up is a little bit easier. I bought a jar that my immersion blender fits well in and then I just store the mayo in that jar. 

http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Don't worry, you'll get it. And once you do, it'll be easy, breezy!

You've talked me into it.  I'll give this recipe a try!

Ok you guys, I need some whole30 support here! I was going to off road it for one weekend and it turned into a few days plus no groceries and a sugar dragon appearance and I need help taking the plunge back into whole30 land!!

Hey! I was in the Sept. 1st group, and I'm thinking about doing another whole30 starting 10/15. :)

You've talked me into it.  I'll give this recipe a try!

I like adding the dried mustard powder. 

Today I made the mayo without it because I was all out. It doesn't have a strong flavor, but I think it helps emulsify the mayo and makes it a little thicker.

Good luck!  I can't imagine buying store bought mayo anymore.  Tessamae's now has mayo and I contemplated trying it. But, it's so quick and easy to make on my own, I figured it wasn't really worth it.

I teach at a quilting retreat that is in a tiny town out in the country. It starts October 30 and ends with dinner on November 1. My friend and I will drive up the night before. The woman who does the cooking is a down home country cook. She always cooks for us and she knows I have celiac disease and since her grandson does too she is fine with that part of my diet. I called her and she said they get their meat and poultry from a local farmer. I'm planning on taking olive oil for my salads for they don't have that and I'll take some ghee. There is a snack table available 24/7 in the room we quilt in. Very tempting. The other thing is that I probably won't be able to eat cooked vegetables because everything is cooked with some sort of meat - bacon, ham, etc. There are no fridges in the rooms and no where I can get ice for a cooler that long. The 30th is the last day of my second W30. Any suggestions on what I could take to fill out the meals (if necessary)? I plan on staying on W30 for another 30 days before starting reintroductions.

What about tinned fish? Salmon, sardines in olive oil? Olives, black or green, boiled eggs, celery, any raw veg, spinach, silver beet for salads? I want to come on the retreat with you! I knew I could learn from you.

Ok you guys, I need some whole30 support here! I was going to off road it for one weekend and it turned into a few days plus no groceries and a sugar dragon appearance and I need help taking the plunge back into whole30 land!!

Jscellist...we get it. The brain is a trickster..."just a weekend...just this one bite..." (Be sure to read that agin with a whiny voice)...but we understand these tricks and know those roads lead NOWHERE WE WANT TO GO...so dive back in...the water's fine and we are having one heck of a pool party here

What about tinned fish? Salmon, sardines in olive oil? Olives, black or green, boiled eggs, celery, any raw veg, spinach, silver beet for salads? I want to come on the retreat with you! I knew I could learn from you.

How about asking if you possibly keep some stuff in the main fridge here they keep the rest of the food? You are a teacher there, after all!

Cocnut cream in coffee is my new favourite thing. Who would have thunk.it? I used to hate coconut! Was an acquired taste but now love it.

It's become a favorite of mine too, although I was surprised to learn that I also like black coffee. 

I never used to drink coffee at all until I took it up at work trying to stay awake.  I found it fairly bitter so I immediately added enough sugar and creamer to make my teeth sticky and the coffee a nice pale tan. A few years back I had to wean myself off sugar first, then creamer and was astonished to discover the differences of flavor in the different roasts and brands of coffee, lol.  I really like the coconut milk in the dark roast, but where I really love it is in the chai teas.  I haven't tried the cream yet.

I was really glad to see the post about this being a lifestyle, not a fad diet.  I've been on my share, the only one that ever worked for serious weight loss was HCG.  However.... it certainly was not the healthy thing to do and I was exhausted by the end of it.  Yes, I would like to be 20-30 lbs lighter than I am right now, but if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to stress over it (I may whine a bit, but I won't stress, lol).  With family health history and odd issues that pop up when I don't eat right, I'm focusing on making this style of eating a permanent habit and making staying in shape another lifetime goal.  I'm comfortable with not being willowy finally (there are no willows in my family, we are a little sturdier than that, lols) but I want to keep my curves in the places they belong and fit into my clothing.  I think if I get my food as fuel firmly set in mind and build the activity habit, the rest will follow.

My biggest problem is not to fall back on old habits when "life happens."  Some days it is more difficult to remember that no matter what happens I only hurt myself and send myself into a tailspin by reaching for the old "comfort" food that really wasn't much comfort.  I always felt worse after having binging on something because I "deserved" it as compensation for something stressful happening.

So, cheers, got my big girl attitude going today, let's DO this! :)

Day 5 almost over and feeling good with good energy.  For those making mayo for the first time, my first 2 attempts it broke but the third time I pulsed the immersion blender instead of blending continuously and it worked great.  I also subbed and used 1/2 melted coconut oil/1/2 extra light olive oil to get a milder taste.  Nom Nom Paleo has a good video on this too.  On any special eating plan I find the weekends to be the hardest because of the lack of structure in my schedule. . . we'll make it though and next week will be even better.

Cocnut cream in coffee is my new favourite thing. Who would have thunk.it? I used to hate coconut! Was an acquired taste but now love it.

I have always had black coffee until recently when I added coconut oil and whipped it up in my Magic Bullet: I won't go a day without it. Love it. Do drink it plain as well if we are out but don't enjoy it as much.

Coconut oil and a bullet, misslindy? Sounds intriguing! For now, I'll stick with black. I'm waiting for the morning when my palette comes alive and I can really appreciate the flavor of coffee. After that, I'll experiment a little. 

Day 5. I had a meeting this morning that zapped some of my mental and physical energy. I had grown fond of my new bounce over the past few days. I took a nap and neglected my chores!!!! Luckily, I can do double time tomorrow and catch up. 

m1 - Egg scramble with chicken, chicken sausage, potatoes, tomato, orange bell pepper, and spinach. 

m2 - Weird smorgasbord of grilled grass fed beef and portobello with mayo and mustard, 1 carrot, handful of broccoli, heaping teaspoon of almond butter. I was rushing to eat so this lunch felt like a bit of a template slip. I wanted to continue eating vegetables, but I felt too full. 

m3 - DINNER OUT

:ph34r: Mistakes were made. 

I ordered Steak Tartar. I mistakenly thought I was ordering Steak Carpaccio in thin slices.Perhaps I was so overly excited to be out that my eyes envisioned an entirely different meal than the menu's description.  There was a raw egg yolk in the center of a hulking POUND of beautiful red, freshly ground beef. No fat whatsoever. Reputable restaurant. Trustworthy chef, but I still couldn't take the leap.

I wasn't in France and it wasn't twenty or thirty years ago when consuming raw beef and someone else's raw eggs (I am comfortable with my own chickens' raw eggs) were not so risky. The waitress was extremely understanding and gave me a small box so I could take my POUND of gorgeous red meat home where I will cook it. The rest of the meal was fantastic. A vibrant green salad that I dressed with oil and vinegar. Potatoes pan fried in olive oil. Artichoke hearts, beets, onion, capers and caper berries. My husband shared his tuna with me and we had a good laugh over my faux pas. 

Tomorrow, here I come! 

I have to admit I wasn't as prepared as I thought this week. I probably ate bacon  that had sugar in it and Kombusha that had stevia in it. I'm not thinking of this as a 30 day fix though, I know it needs to be a way of life. So, this weekend I plan to cook for next week.  I run a charter school and had lots of late night meetings this week. But, I did make it through bookclub without eating the yummy desert or wine. So I feel like I can do this!  I am enjoying everyone's posts!

Good day today, very busy but I had the best sleep of my life last night. Went to bed just before 10pm and woke up at 0640! What a difference that makes to ones outlook--speaking for myself.

We had a busy day, early appointment, had to stop and pick a few things up in different places, heavy traffic, got lost, had a Kill All Things episode then shut my mouth quick before I was left at the roadside as a public hazard! I kept smiling to myself thinking of you all and how you could relate to that emotion. At least no one died, we got home safely, and I made a late meeting, and am now home and in a much better temper.

I made crockpot ghee last night--and Jonica, it was the best thing I have done for ages. It is so perfect and will be making it from now on--so easy and foolproof. Thank you Thank you Thank You.

Hope you are all cruising along, am now about to make meal 3 of this day. I can't believe how much I am enjoying the taste, flavours and textures of food lately. Lovely. :)

Miss Lindy, it is lovely to read your posts when I first wander into my kitchen...thinking of you as the trail leader on this hike..and you set a great positive example. I also had a kill all things event yesterday in the form of a tearful conversation with my hubs. Poor guy, he probably wondered what hit him, or me....but all is well and I am ready to start the new day.

What do y ou use to make your Ghee? I'm sure there are specs of some kind of what sort of butter to get. I've never seen butter at my farmers mkt.

Cheers to all for a great new day!

I was really glad to see the post about this being a lifestyle, not a fad diet.  I've been on my share, the only one that ever worked for serious weight loss was HCG.  However.... it certainly was not the healthy thing to do and I was exhausted by the end of it.  Yes, I would like to be 20-30 lbs lighter than I am right now, but if that doesn't happen, I'm not going to stress over it (I may whine a bit, but I won't stress, lol).  With family health history and odd issues that pop up when I don't eat right, I'm focusing on making this style of eating a permanent habit and making staying in shape another lifetime goal.  I'm comfortable with not being willowy finally (there are no willows in my family, we are a little sturdier than that, lols) but I want to keep my curves in the places they belong and fit into my clothing.  I think if I get my food as fuel firmly set in mind and build the activity habit, the rest will follow.

My biggest problem is not to fall back on old habits when "life happens."  Some days it is more difficult to remember that no matter what happens I only hurt myself and send myself into a tailspin by reaching for the old "comfort" food that really wasn't much comfort.  I always felt worse after having binging on something because I "deserved" it as compensation for something stressful happening.

I'm not thinking of this as a 30 day fix though, I know it needs to be a way of life.

C ceseaux and Chill...this is my attitude as well....an attitude and an altitude!! I am aiming for a clean 30 so I can do a strict reintro and know what foods I can reincorporate...but if it takes a reset along the way to get that clean 30, then that is what I will do. C ceseaux, do you see the Whole 9 newsletter? The most recent one is really good about the WHOLE program and mindset.

Here's where I'm at today: I wasn't in the right place to do an official W30. I am eating 98% compliant food, but not 100%. I'm going back to my plan to do another 30, but right now isn't it. Still no sugar, dairy, grains, artificial sweetener, soy. Will have an occasional drink. I ate something non-compliant yesterday that I regret. Won't make that mistake again. It was a good, if painful, lesson. So I'll follow along and read all of your stories, tips, successes and fails, and do another 30, probably in January, and continue with this lifestyle because it works!!

I have always had black coffee until recently when I added coconut oil and whipped it up in my Magic Bullet: I won't go a day without it. Love it. Do drink it plain as well if we are out but don't enjoy it as much.

I can't imagine how this would taste... How much oil? Doesn't the coffee cool off during the mixing? I can't bear coffee that's less than scalding hot, but don't like to reheat it. I think that's why I like it black!

We're still here for you. You know you can do this and what you need to do each day. Keep coming here and let us know how we can help!

Hi, all. Just checking in to say I'm still on board. It's been a crazy few days and I was in a situation where I couldn't get to my planned breakfast, so I had to run into a convenience store. Hallelujiah for Wawa (you mid-Atlanticers know what I mean), prepackaged hardboiled eggs (which were WAY better than I expected), baby carrots, and black coffee (which is tasting better and better). My cravings and hunger pangs have significantly diminished, and I know if I pick up again, they'll come roaring back. As such, I'm at the point where I'd rather skip a meal than eat something that I know is trouble. I wish my energy were better, but I think that's more about the circumstances I'm dealing with (homeless, jobless, and caring for 2 parents with Alzheimer's disease). I was reading recently about bright line rules, a legal term that basically means a rule or boundary that is non-negotiable. For me, that's sugar and processed food. That really helped me yesterday when I dashed into the convenience store -- I didn't even consider all of the other breakfast no-no's because they simply weren't an option.

My meals are pretty uninspired and sometimes get repetitive, but that's okay. The reduction in cravings/hunger pangs has been wonderful. I'm feeling a little shaky on portion control so reviewing the template again today.

Taking a cooking day today to make crockpot breakfast sausage, chicken soup with kale, onion & sweet taters, salmon patties, kitchen sink meatloaf (meatloaf crammed with shredded veggies), and then fish tacos for dinner tonight (wrapped in lettuce tortillas). Tomorrow: buffalo ranch stuffed peppers. Mmmm!

Stay the course, mateys. We got this! :)

Here's where I'm at today: I wasn't in the right place to do an official W30. I am eating 98% compliant food, but not 100%. I'm going back to my plan to do another 30, but right now isn't it. Still no sugar, dairy, grains, artificial sweetener, soy. Will have an occasional drink. I ate something non-compliant yesterday that I regret. Won't make that mistake again. It was a good, if painful, lesson. So I'll follow along and read all of your stories, tips, successes and fails, and do another 30, probably in January, and continue with this lifestyle because it works!!

Nancy, I'll still be here in January and you can still offer good advice while you are on your hiatus.

Archived