Sugar/glucose response

• Administrators

This is not an answer you should hope to get from the Whole30 forum or its members.  You would likely want to seek this information out from someone versed in blood sugar management such as a nutritionist or a doctor.  No one here can give you these numbers, nor should they be without being one of your health care providers.

• Moderators

I am assume you are not under the care of a doctor with regard to checking your glucose response or your doctor would have told you what you should be looking for. In the absence of a doctor's specific guidance, our stance is to throw your apparatus away and quit confusing yourself with irrelevant information. It is almost certain that such information will screw up your relationship with food and not do you any good at all. :)

No I'm not under a doctor in reference for that.... And I wasn't chasing medical advice :) I just basically wanted guidelines ! I am curious how certain foods affect my body , isn't that what it's all about ? The health and medical affects of nutrition on your body , it's just another tool to strive for better health !

• Moderators

No I'm not under a doctor in reference for that.... And I wasn't chasing medical advice :) I just basically wanted guidelines ! I am curious how certain foods affect my body , isn't that what it's all about ? The health and medical affects of nutrition on your body , it's just another tool to strive for better health !

Whole30 doesn't have any guidelines for that. If you were curious about how things affect your blood sugar, you could certainly test it and just see what happens -- say test it at some point after a breakfast of 3-4 eggs and a pile of veggies, and then on another day test it after the same amount of time after a breakfast of an egg and a bunch of fruit* and see what happens. But instead of only recording that number, also record things like how you feel after the meal, how long you're able to go between meals -- are you more productive after one or the other, or does one leave you needing a nap, or leave you ravenously hungry two hours later? Because honestly, it seems to me (though I'm not a doctor) that unless you have known blood sugar issues that you are trying to control, it's less important what that number is, and more important how your meals make you feel. Or you could just skip the blood test and just record your meals, and how you feel at various points during the day, so you can see patterns later as you look back at them. There's even a section of the forum for people to do that, here.

*Please note, for best results, don't make a habit of a meal of mostly fruit and very little protein or fat.

Just keep in mind that different sorts of sugar have different immediate effects on blood sugar. What I mean is: Fructose must first be processed by the liver. So eating a bunch of fruit may not cause the immediate spike that you would see with many other foods... That is because your liver is working, working, working and it is a longer process.

And is that why natural fructose is fine to consume, because the liver processes it so it doesn't have that greater affect on your health, weight, body ?

It's more that fruit is whole nutrient-dense food, versus the fructose you'll find in sodas or pastries.

• Administrators

Once again, just for clarity's sake.  All of this measuring & calculating of data is not at all in keeping with the spirit behind the Whole30 and is in contradiction to our recommendations for best results both physically and mentally/emotionally.

• Moderators

Thank you for the reminder about that..... I always forget that ! Whenever I do , do a test, it's at 30,60,90 and 120 min intervals

May I ask what you're going to do with this testing data?  You say that it's just another tool to strive for better health... wondering how you're incorporating the data... 

Hi sugarcube

Well once I get my health all sorted and on track, I want to work towards competing in a figure competition ! And so the way my body responds to food and nutrition plays a huge part in making my body figure ready, so that I can provide myself with the ideal nutrition to build muscle and shed body fat.

And is that why natural fructose is fine to consume, because the liver processes it so it doesn't have that greater affect on your health, weight, body ?

The ONLY organ capable of processing fructose is the liver, where it actually gets stored as fat (unlike others forms of sugar) which is why consuming high volumes of fruit is NOT as good for you as people might think, and can lead to conditions such as non alcoholic fatty liver disease.

I'd echo what Ladyshanny & others have said - unless you currently have an issue with blood sugar which must be monitored on medical grounds, and from what you have said about using the data for tweaking your body to compete in figure comps, this is just another tool for restricting what you eat and goes strongly against what Whole30 is trying to teach you.

Personally I'd recommend saving this for post Whole30 because once you see the effect certain foods have on your BS you will start consciously avoiding certain foods.

• 1 month later...

I'm a type 1 diabetic and from what I've understood about glucose readings in non diabetics is that 2 hours after eating your levels shouldn't be over 140. Your body produces insulin and reacts to foods you've eaten automatically. I wear a pump and have to give an educated guess as to how much insulin my pump needs to deliver and over what time periods. Hormones, illnesses and stress cause my blood sugar to swing and I have to do my best to keep it under control.  Here's something I found after doing a quick web search. Regardless of what you eat, these are the guidelines.

http://www.joslin.org/info/Goals-for-Blood-Glucose-Control.html

Archived