Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

I keep telling everyone all this tracking isn't necessary.......  

Congrats, Julie ~ if ketosis is where you want to be.   :)  How are you feeling, overall?

It is where I want to be for now.  Actually, I feel a little shaky - that's why I tested.  I remember feeling this way when the switch flipped last time.  I won't feel great until I get above 1.5, which will probably take a couple more weeks to get there and stay there.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Julie, feeling shaky doesn't sound good.  Is it not something a mini-meal can help?  I guess I'm not sure what you mean ~ do you mean, like, low blood sugar shaky?  Like, too much caffeine shaky?  Or a different kind of shaky that I am not picturing?   :huh:

Wow, caught up on some thread reading! Haven't been over here in awhile. Whole30ing right now so I'm over THERE. Great discussions here though! Inspiring actually! Also Brewer, I got the Strong curves book for Christmas (well it was a present to me from me)....have a new set up and am back lifting - a breath of fresh air to my workouts for sure...

Wow, caught up on some thread reading! Haven't been over here in awhile. Whole30ing right now so I'm over THERE. Great discussions here though! Inspiring actually! Also Brewer, I got the Strong curves book for Christmas (well it was a present to me from me)....have a new set up and am back lifting - a breath of fresh air to my workouts for sure...

Hey, cool!  So glad to hear from you.  :)

Don't know if you saw it ~ but I am just getting back to lifting, too, after a big break.  Are you following a certain program from the book -- or making your own, using the book as a guide?

Hey, cool! So glad to hear from you. :)

Don't know if you saw it ~ but I am just getting back to lifting, too, after a big break. Are you following a certain program from the book -- or making your own, using the book as a guide?

I made my own for now as I continue to collect weights and equipment it's just easier that way. But the book helped me get out of the rut I was in with workout videos and being afraid to change it up.

I saw you had started back and your stamina after that break was amazing! I feel so weak after my break, but I'm sure the break in nutrition had something to do with it as well ;)

Has anyone here tried sacha inchi?

AKA "Inca Peanuts" or "Inca Nuts" -- but technically a seed, not a nut.

This is the first time I have ever seen a nut or seed that is a complete protein.  We're going to give them a try.

"Sacha Inchi's benefits for health and nutrition have been widely publicized recently, especially by medical personality Dr. Oz, who lists it as his best snack for weight loss. Medical studies have shown that Sacha Inchi's high concentration and proper balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids reduces the risk of heart disease, and its fats are largely monounsaturated and polyunsaturated. Finally, as a complete protein, Inca Peanuts contain every amino acid."

I have been meaning to come back and update about this.

My teenager's first thought:  "They taste like unflavored peanuts."

Agreed.

Later thoughts:   We both think they are just.... not good.  The texture ~ on your teeth... it's a little bit like eating styrofoam.  Like, picture what that would feel like on your teeth.  It's just not a good flavor or texture.  

I don't care what Dr. Oz or anyone says -- we do not recommend spending $19.99/lb. to try these out.   :wacko:

$20/lb?!?!! Dang, they could taste like pumpkin pie cheesecake and that'd be too rich for my blood. :-O

Thanks for doing that research for us!

I know.   :(

They were on my son's list of approved items... and it was something new to try out.  I certainly won't be scarfing them down, but rather -- trying to figure out what the heck I can incorporate them into, so we don't waste them.

We saw Jerry Seinfeld on Colbert the other night -- and my teenager about died laughing.   :lol:   We've watched it a few times since.  Had to share it with Dad, had to share it with little brothers...

This is mostly about food & it is really good.  I hope it can bring you a laugh.  Happy weekend, everyone!

I dug this site out of kirkor's Keto thread today ~ lots of good stuff, here.

I love how she stresses that this is not a diet ~ it's a lifestyle ~ and how it's not just about weight loss (or in my case, not at all) ~ but about health and feeling our best.  I love the emphasis on whole foods.  ...Yes, exactly.  Ding ding ding!  We don't need to count, weigh, and measure, people -- just eat the right things to make you feel satiated.  Hop off the up-and-down blood-sugar roller coaster.

She mentions cancer cells feeding on glucose, multiple times.  I am so happy to see this information spreading.  Everyone knows someone (or at least knows someone who knows someone) who has cancer.

http://www.wickedstuffed.com/is-keto-healthy/what-is-keto/

As an update on my keto/LCHF journey: I've had good success keeping my total carbs under 50g and my net carbs under 30g.  I tried a "fat fast" on Saturday - I had brewed coffee with coconut cream at 7:30am and did not actually eat until noon (and I made salmon cakes with coconut flour - best results for salmon cakes ever!!  I guess I'll be using up my bag of coconut flour a few tbsp. at a time!).  It worked - I didn't feel shaky or hangry throughout the morning (although I was definitely hungry by noon).

Friday: 88P-31C(21 net)-110F 69% calories from fat

Saturday: 77P-35C(18 net)-111F 71% calories from fat

Sunday: 76P-49C(24 net)-160F 76% calories from fat

What's notable about Sunday is that we spent the day at the ski hill and I did NOT crave or eat any starchy/carby foods (although my fats were of the higher-carb variety: coconut butter, avocado, and a bit of almond butter mixed with coconut oil).  I craved an overall larger food intake in general, which makes sense given my higher energy output.  You can see that I was able to provide that extra energy/food via fat, as above.

And I have to recommend using a large, thin omelette as a "wrap."  I whisked two eggs with seasonings (red chili flakes, sea salt and pepper) and then spread them out to cover the entire surface of a large skillet.  Then I used the omelette like a tortilla to wrap up some sliced avocado and sautéed spinach.

I also thought this morning: gee, I feel so much more alert, awake, aware and on top of things today!  I don't know if that's actually "keto brain" talking (it could be).  I think it's more likely because my family and I actually took the opportunity to get away for the day yesterday.  Fresh air, physical activity and a change of pace made me feel very refreshed going back to work today.

Cheers,

-Lauren

Thanks, Brewer (I thought of you with the omelette "wrap").  We'll see what happens when I stop tracking at the end of the month, and also when I go on vacation.  I'm not going to freak out if I eat some local seasonal fruit.  I may or may not be in ketosis now (reduced appetite/cravings, increased THIRST, but no acetone breath), and I may or may not be in ketosis then.

I'll be curious to see what things I crave or even consider "worth it" after this experience.  Stay tuned...

Has anyone here ever tried tiger nuts?

Another mom posted on the Feingold forum, wondering if tiger nut flour is high in salicylates.  I cannot find an answer to that question ~ but I thought what I read on Wikipedia was interesting.  I don't know if I have heard of these before.  They are actually a tuber.  I love how these "old" foods are becoming "new" again.

How about experiences with Diatomaceous Earth?

I bought a huge bag from Amazon awhile back, for us to sprinkle/spray around the yard, but we haven't done anything with it yet.  Fleas are not a big concern at the moment ~ seeing as it is ONE degree here right now.   :blink:

Anyway ~ I found the human benefits at the bottom to be interesting:  

"Other Human Health Benefits of DE include Lowering Blood Pressure & Cholesterol, Preventing Osteoperosis, Aiding Weight Loss, Cosmetic Uses for Hair & Nails."

Just wondered if anyone has heard of this, or used it (for their pet OR themselves).  It has just been on my radar since we got Rocket.  I've had multiple people recommend it to me.

I may or may not be in ketosis now (reduced appetite/cravings, increased THIRST, but no acetone breath), and I may or may not be in ketosis then.

I'll be curious to see what things I crave or even consider "worth it" after this experience.  Stay tuned...

Lauren, with your fat percentage that high ~ and the fact that you are feeling good and having plenty of energy ~ I would say you are running on ketones just fine.  I don't think that everyone experiences every sign and symptom.

I'll be curious, too.   :)   My gut tells me that you would probably be fine with some seasonal fruit... but when we get into the "vacation mentality" and start getting into the ridiculous things ~ well, that is when it all goes off the rails for me.  In the past, it has started a cycle that is sometimes very hard for me to climb out of.

I am just beginning to plan our vacation for March.  We are going to see family, so it is a trip we have made about 100 times.  The destination is boring.  The trip is obligatory.  There is not much to do there (at all) ... except go out to eat.  We've done just about everything we've wanted to do along the way.  

I find, as I make the hotel reservations, that I am mentally associating different cities on our route with different restaurants where we've liked to eat.  It's really made me think about how much enjoyment we've had on these trips, solely surrounding food.  There is an internal "pull" to go ahead and have these things, which makes me even more determined to resist them.  

WHY do I want the buffalo chicken wrap with chips and salsa?  Is it going to taste ANY different than the other 25 times in my life I have had it?  No..... but it IS going to set me up for more cravings... then wanting ice cream... oh, and chocolate.  "Let's stop at this chocolate store and see all of the 57 million things they have covered in chocolate!  Ooooo, chocolate covered potato chips... that's something new and exotic......."  LOL.  No, it isn't.  It's the same old chocolate-covered-bullshit you had the LAST time you were here ~ it's just that you haven't had it for awhile, and your brain is trying to draw you back into that pattern of addiction.

Well.  I'm not having it.  I am going to make a great effort to make NEW memories on this trip ~ that do not involve things that have clearly proven themselves addicting, for me.  I am NOT going to come back here and report, "Well, poor me, I've done it again....."  Nope.  Not happening.   :)

^ All of that has nothing to do with you, or your trip.  Obviously you will do whatever makes sense for your situation.  Just sharing my thoughts, since I have just started to plan in the past few days ~ and all of this has been on my mind.

I am in the same situation :)  The vacation mentality hits me hard.  Even going to florida over the new year...  I only allowed myself a bite on the first day - which turned into a whole cookie on the second - by the end of the week, the cravings were back.  I know that I always gain a lot of fluid when I travel, and 17 hours in a car didn't help, but in one week, I put back 8 pounds and felt horrible - and I was "good" most of the time!  It's the brain cravings....

On the other hand, I have enjoyed the challenge that I have made for myself by being w30 compliant while on vacation :)

I have been posting about this on my log the past couple of days because I'm heading on vacation next week as well. I'm first going to San Fransisco to visit a friend, but luckily she is also whole30ing so I don't foresee much of a problem there. I leave her, and head home to see my family in Canada, and finish my whole30 one day into that trip (it's 10 days long). Im setting myself up to finish no problem, but I'm already battling that little voice telling me that wine will be fine after I'm done, an we all know where that leads....I don't want to do it either! I for once, want one vacation where I'm not dying to get home and eat veggies and work out like mad....its just not worth it anymore!!! Sorry for the rant!

Hey guys!  Still recovering from my massive sinus infection.  I know, right?  I'm feeling better, but not good yet.  And I have to work tomorrow, sigh.  But today is my 3 month mark since beginning my Whole30!  Here are my stats!   :D  I'm going to take different pictures when I'm off the steroids, they are making me bloated! LOL
Weight:  -20.4 lbs
Upper Chest:  -2.5 inches
Boobs:  -2.75 inches
Lower Chest:  -1.75
Waist:  -3.0 inches
Hips:  -4.5 inches
R Thigh:  -2.5 inches
L Thigh: -2.5 inches
R Calf:  -0.75 inches
L Calf:  -0.75 inches

Archived