Brewer5: A Fresh Start

Brewer5

Oof - what's with the power loss today for you & heat loss for Karen? Weird. Hope you got some coffee at Starbucks!

It's a bright and sunny day here today, but a cold wind is blowing. It's supposed to freeze tonight, which only happens a few times every "winter." :) Hubby and I will get out for a walk with the puppy girl in a little while. I had a yoga thing all morning, which was awesome. But not for my steps. lol Oh well. Life isn't only about our steps, though I definitely want to make the 2016 miles in 2016 goal.

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

Lauren - can you buy those urine ketone sticks?  They aren't recommended (they aren't measuring the "right" type of ketone and they are measuring what your body is not using, rather than what is in your blood...).   However, from my understanding until you become a ketone burning all star, some ketones will spill into your urine.  Thus, you at least know they are there.  I bought a box of 50 for $8 or so.  And you can cut them in half :)  I have found that ~24 hours of low carb (<30g) will get me producing ketones.  Now when I get really low carb I feel like crap and always end up eating carbs to get rid of the anxiety and headache I get... so clearly I'm not keto-adapted... but I am in ketosis.  

Jess - how did the food work for 14 hours?  I couldn't have done a 12 hour shift on that much food... That would have been a lovely M1 and M2 for me though :)  

I like his posts - they are "sciency" but not so much so that I lose interest - LOL.

Yes -- thanks for bringing it up here.  I think it will be really helpful for anyone out there who is interested.  I am checking out some stuff on there now, while walking on my treadmill.  (Got my power back!)

The FAQ section is good.  ...It's all good.  :)

Lauren - can you buy those urine ketone sticks?  They aren't recommended (they aren't measuring the "right" type of ketone and they are measuring what your body is not using, rather than what is in your blood...).   However, from my understanding until you become a ketone burning all star, some ketones will spill into your urine.  Thus, you at least know they are there.  I bought a box of 50 for $8 or so.  And you can cut them in half :)  I have found that ~24 hours of low carb (<30g) will get me producing ketones.  Now when I get really low carb I feel like crap and always end up eating carbs to get rid of the anxiety and headache I get... so clearly I'm not keto-adapted... but I am in ketosis.  

Jess - how did the food work for 14 hours?  I couldn't have done a 12 hour shift on that much food... That would have been a lovely M1 and M2 for me though :)

Just to be clear, Laura - do you mean <30g TOTAL (I know we usually talk total carbs in here) or net?  I should finally be under the magical 50g mark today (30g net) but it's going to be a bit of a challenge to get under 30g TOTAL.  Hopefully I wouldn't need to stay there for long.

What brand do you recommend for urine ketone strips?  I can check Amazon but I expect the shipping cost to be horrendous if they even ship here.

Thanks!

-Lauren

Ehhhh, I wouldn't bother with the strips. At best, they merely confirm ketosis, but if you're already tracking carbs under a certain amount then ketosis is basically a metabolic certainty, and at worst they won't register any waste ketones even if you're actually in ketosis which can be disheartening.

Thanks kirkor - I just don't know what carb level that is for me. And I don't want to weigh and track my food forever. I'd like to know what "too many" carbs feels like. I don't know how to tell. I don't know if I'm even low enough with carb intake yet or have been for long enough. I'll track and aim for 30-50g total for the next 2 weeks and maybe it will become obvious to me.

Any comments on what happens when you choose to come out of NK?

Thanks,

-Lauren

Lauren - yes, I meant 30 net.  I was using almost a cup of coconut milk (I'm assuming the same stuff you are calling coconut cream - the stuff from a can, but not coconut butter) in addition to one avocado a day and that was getting me to 20ish total grams - not counting any veggies. So I went with net :)  Have you checked a Korean pharmacy?  They may sell ketone strips.

So I've had my new blood ketone monitor and their strips for several days now ~ but just got around to taking everything out of the packages and reading through the instructions last night.  No, I don't care about setting the time, yada yada yada.....  Just put the strip in and measure.  Ok, got it.

I did look around online and in Jimmy's book, and the general consensus is as praxisproject said:  AM testing in a fasted state.  Otherwise, you don't know what has been caused by food choices, etc.

Also ~ my research did confirm what my experience has always been:  AM ketones are generally at their lowest, so if you have a good reading first thing in the morning, you're doing really well -- because they will generally rise and be even higher as the day goes on.

Nutritional ketosis is between 0.5 - 3.0 mmol/L.

My reading was 2.0.  FBG was 87.

These numbers are good!  And just a small confirmation for myself of what I already know:  That I am on the right track.   :)

----------

Lauren, I have answers to some of your questions, including a list I found in one of these books with all of the "signs" of being in ketosis.  I'll be back!

So I've had my new blood ketone monitor and their strips for several days now ~ but just got around to taking everything out of the packages and reading through the instructions last night.  No, I don't care about setting the time, yada yada yada.....  Just put the strip in and measure.  Ok, got it.

I did look around online and in Jimmy's book, and the general consensus is as praxisproject said:  AM testing in a fasted state.  Otherwise, you don't know what has been caused by food choices, etc.

Also ~ my research did confirm what my experience has always been:  AM ketones are generally at their lowest, so if you have a good reading first thing in the morning, you're doing really well -- because they will generally rise and be even higher as the day goes on.

Nutritional ketosis is between 0.5 - 3.0 mmol/L.

My reading was 2.0.  FBG was 87.

These numbers are good!  And just a small confirmation for myself of what I already know:  That I am on the right track.   :)

----------

Lauren, I have answers to some of your questions, including a list I found in one of these books with all of the "signs" of being in ketosis.  I'll be back!

Your AM reading is awesome!  My AM reading is always lowest too.  Best for me is late afternoon.  I tested my ketones this morning and they were a disappointing 0.3, so not in ketosis yet, but if I am being honest, I haven't tried that hard to get there.  I was looking for my old ketosis chart - where I meticulously tracked my food macros, Ketonix and blood meter readings for months, but I haven't found it yet.  What I do remember is that it took me a long time to get into deep ketosis (readings greater than 1.5).  When I say long time, I mean 4 or 5 weeks.  And I remember having to keep my total carbs at 30 or less and really watch my protein (85 g max).  

Once I got there and stayed there a few weeks, I could have a really carby day (or even two) and be right back in ketosis 24 hours later.  I stayed in nutritional ketosis for several months.  The biggest benefit for me, other than complete hunger/craving control, was incredible mental acuity.  My focus at work was unprecedented.  It was like I had tunnel vision for the task at hand and nothing could break me away before the task was complete.  This is the total opposite of how I normally operate - I look for reasons to get distracted, especially when I just don't like what I'm doing - LOL.  I think I finally gave it up because I missed sweet potatoes, winter squash and fruit.  It has been a while since I've thought about trying it again.  I'm still not sure I want to try that hard again.  I don't miss tracking my food at all and the lower carb WF30 seems to be working for me.  I can tell already that most of the holiday weight I put on is rolling off.

I'll just continue to lurk on your threads and live vicariously through your ketosis experience :)

I don't know how my comments ended up in the same box as Brewer's quote.  I'm not so good at this posting stuff...

Ok, Lauren ~ if you haven't read this Kindle book, I think it would be helpful to you.  It's cheap & a quick read:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WRDSYSI?redirect=true&ref_=s9_simh_gw_p351_d0_i1

From that, some of the most common signs of ketosis:

~ sweet, fruity, or metal taste in the mouth (keto-breath)

~ loss of food cravings

~ weak odor of nail polish remover (acetone) on skin or breath

~ increased mental clarity

~ euphoria or a general feeling of well being

~ reduced appetite

~ stronger smelling urine

~ more energy

~ increased thirst

"Most of the negative signs are temporary and will diminish as your body adapts to being in ketosis."  

This has been my experience, for sure.

-----------

So what will happen when you decide to go out of nutritional ketosis -- you mean, long-term?  Well, you will lose these benefits.  

You will probably look back at the mental clarity, steady mood and energy you had, as well as the absence of cravings and food struggles that you experienced, and you will remember it fondly....... but possibly have trouble digging yourself out of the hole of carbohydrates you've landed in.

------------

Funny that Julie posted her experience, AS I was typing the above.   :lol:

Julie, FWIW, I do not ~and have not~ tracked my macros throughout my keto experiences -- any of them.  I absolutely loathe the effect that tracking has on me, and I will not go back to it.  Ever.

I wish we all lived closer and could chip in $ for the strips :)  In my few forays into keto I definitely noticed an odd taste in my mouth around the times that it *seemed* like I should have been in ketosis and when the urine strips started changing.  Unfortunately I just seemed to get more flighty... does the mental acuity take a while to kick in?

Regarding the reduced appetite, are you still eating meals according to the Whole 30 timeline, meaning 3 meals a day when hungry, to satiety, aiming to remain sated for 4-5 hours? If you have a reduced appetite, how do you know when to eat? I apologize if that's a dumb question.

Lauren - yes, I meant 30 net.  I was using almost a cup of coconut milk (I'm assuming the same stuff you are calling coconut cream - the stuff from a can, but not coconut butter) in addition to one avocado a day and that was getting me to 20ish total grams - not counting any veggies. So I went with net :)  Have you checked a Korean pharmacy?  They may sell ketone strips.

Thanks for the clarification, Laura.  30g net feels do-able (I'm basically there).  And no, coconut cream is actually a separate product from coconut milk as it has less water content - so basically it's the same as the thick coconut milk that forms in a can of coconut milk, but it's intentionally sold that way.  The ingredients are 100% coconut kernel extract (no water content listed).  This is AYAM brand (they also sell canned coconut milk).

Hmmm...time to brush up on my Korean for "ketone."  It's possible.

Regarding the reduced appetite, are you still eating meals according to the Whole 30 timeline, meaning 3 meals a day when hungry, to satiety, aiming to remain sated for 4-5 hours? If you have a reduced appetite, how do you know when to eat? I apologize if that's a dumb question.

I'm still doing 3 meals, Ali (not that I'm IN ketosis yet - I don't know!).  But some people find that 2 meals per day works for them because they stay sated for 8+ hours.  You DO eventually get hungry!  I'll let the more experienced hands chime in...

I don't know how my comments ended up in the same box as Brewer's quote.  I'm not so good at this posting stuff...

Oops, and I couldn't quote your comments within the quote (you would have been typing before the end quote tag).  But thank you for sharing your experience, Julie!  I'm a bit nervous about keeping my protein (and carbs) low and also about needing to track like crazy to stay there.  Plus, fruit!  Although it seems I can get a very small serving of fruit OR starchy carbs into my day, but I don't like the way I have to scrupulously plan for it - too much like IIFYM, except now I'm shoe-horning carbs in instead of fat.  But I'll give it a go - maybe I'll decide the benefits are worth it, maybe not.  Only I can decide what's right for ME, based on MY personal experience.

Brewer - thanks for posting those signs of ketosis.  Very helpful!  I can't say that I'm experiencing any of them yet, except for reduced hunger/cravings (satiety is pretty high). I'm curious to see what happens this week.  And you're giving me hope that I'll be able to back off of the tracking (and kirkor is giving me hope that monitoring isn't really needed either).

Sunday: 75P-48C(30 net)-105F 68% calories from fat.  My first day under 50g carbs!  Also >16,000 steps - so I was hungry, but less so than when an exclusive sugar-burner.  I just hate the idea that I have to curtail my activity because I'm worried it might cause me to want to eat too many grams of protein or carbs.  I guess I need to research whether keto athletes fuel their high energy demands exclusively through increased fat. 

Looking back, Sunday was a challenging day for me, food-wise, during and after my Whole30.  I'd be tired from staying up later Friday and Saturday night and increased running around during the day on Saturday and Sunday.  I opted to NOT do a reintroduction yesterday (today is quinoa and I'm still going for <50g carbs).  Yesterday was the best Sunday I've had in weeks!

ALL:  I have so many things I want to respond to.  Copying & pasting this from Karen's log, because I think some of you may not read there:

"Oh, I can't tell you how much I wish I could have hiked to a waterfall with you today.............   I have been on my feet ALL DAY (not exaggerating, not even a little bit) doing laundry & cooking and stepping around and around the house.  I just looked at my counter and I am only at ~5,000 steps.  That is a downside to this thing.  I should get credit for STANDING.  haha

Oh, and guess what happened this morning?  I took my sleeping fitbit wrist band off and put it in the pocket of my fleece jacket that I wear around the house, so that I could wash my hands.  Got busy going around and around and around the house, GOT HOT and took off my fleece -- completely forgetting that the fitbit was in the pocket of the fleece (I usually wear it on my bra).   So that didn't help.  I went to look at my steps, and realized I was pacing and pacing around and I didn't even have the damn thing ON me!    :lol:  Oh well......  it will all work out."

I have been able to pop in here while standing at my kitchen counter, or on my phone while pacing this morning.....  so I am up-to-date on reading, and I am thinking -- always thinking.  I've got lots of thoughts & answers.  I just need to have time to sit down and actually respond.  I'll get there eventually.  :)

Unfortunately I just seemed to get more flighty... does the mental acuity take a while to kick in?

Since we have already messaged about this quite a bit, I would like to hear if anyone else has experiences they want to share.

My experience has always been that my mood & anxiety are MUCH improved while I am ultra-low-carb and my blood sugar is steady. But ~ as I have said ~ for me, there was a definite adjustment period where things got worse before they got better.

Since we have already messaged about this quite a bit, I would like to hear if anyone else has experiences they want to share.

My experience has always been that my mood & anxiety are MUCH improved while I am ultra-low-carb and my blood sugar is steady. But ~ as I have said ~ for me, there was a definite adjustment period where things got worse before they got better.

I can't say that I have found the great mental sharpness that others have found.  However, I wonder how much of that is stress.  What I have found is that sleeping is solid - even if it isn't for as long as I would like.  I never seem to have that early morning fogginess - you know, where you are kind of awake, but would rather be back in bed.  Nope - for me, when I wake up, I. AM. AWAKE.

Alison, I personally think the way to go is to stick to the template as much as you can ~ I think protein + veggie + fat is just a good rule to live by. It works. It's a healthy balance. It keeps us aware of what is going in each day. That's my opinion, and that's what I encourage others here to do, as well.

For me ~ and again, this is just my experience ~ "reduced appetite" means:

~ I do not have the desire to just keep shoving things in my face. Ever.

~ I have the ability to go for a large amount of hours without food, if necessary. And I never reach freak-out point.

~ I am often eating just because I know "it's time" ... And often, nothing really "sounds good" -- I am truly putting together a meal of fuel for my body, so I can move on to other things.

~ I can look past all of the restaurants in town, and not get yearnings. I can go through a store and look right past things without a glance, let alone a "pause, make decision".

~ I get very clear "ok, that's enough" signals -- and I am able to just: stop.

Archived