CALLING ALL JANUARY 1ST WHOLE30ERS!

found.in.nature

Starting my third or fourth Whole 30 attempt today. The longest I've made it before was about three weeks. I felt great then - migraines and fibromyalgia pain both greatly improved, but when I went back to work after summer break I didn't feel like cooking after working all day, so gradually slid back into eating and feeling like crap. Feel like I have a decent plan in place, but have been super emotional all day - husband, kids and animals all ducking for cover!. Decided to follow the meal plan in the book for the first 7 days just to simplify things. Had the spinach frittata, avocado and grapefruit for breakfast, tuna salad made with Primal mayo over salad greens and a banana for lunch, and just took the spaghetti squash out of the oven and the tomato sauce is simmering on the stove. I was wanting to quit coffee for my Whole30 - I tend to like a little coffee with my cream and sugar- but ended up having a cup with coconut milk when the caffeine withdrawal headache got too bad. The LaCroix sparkiling waters are my major craving helpers, but need to do better at drinking plain water and not just the flavored/sparkling ones.

• Replies 814
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started today but didn't get out of bed until 11am because I got home at 2am. So I had brunch and dinner today. 

Brunch: 2 eggs, scrambled with mushrooms, applegate chicken apple sausage, and a cup or so of grape tomatoes. Kombucha. 

Dinner: Zoodles, ground turkey with marinara sauce, and pomegranate seeds. I drizzled olive oil on the marinara for more fat. 

It's early so I might have some sort of veg as a snack. Drinking lacroix for dinner. 

Great to read through this group as I wrap up the first day!

This is my first Whole30, inspired by a friend who tried it in November and as soon as she said the words "mental clarity" I perked up. I have let the crazy stress of the job really get me down over the past few months. Exercise has disappeared, and too much wine has taken its place. Taming that demon will be the tough one for me - I'm not much of a starch or sugar eater, but a good drink at the end of the day (or 2, or 3), that's my sugar fix.

I'm ready - did a lot of prep cooking over the past couple of days, and had a good start today.  Avocado is not agreeing with me, so I'll skip those for the next little while. Fats in general give me a bit of heartburn, so I'll be careful and hope I adjust! 

Great to see a few Canadians (I'm living in rural Québec, working in Montreal)! I have had a few days of wonderful long walks in the woods through a foot of snow - I always forget how much exercise that is - and it feels great. Love winter.

I go back to work on the day that I might want to "kill all the things", according to the book. I teach at university. Heh, heh...   :angry:

Happy New Year everyone!  Alison here.  I began my third Whole30 today.  I always feel better when I'm done, and my diet has been slowly changing for the better since I first began last summer.  So, I'm back.  My hope is to slay the sugar dragon once again.  I live in The Great White North in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, north of Wisconsin.  Not much snow so far this winter.  

Hi! I'm Jen - This will be my 4th or 5th Whole 30. Made it through Day 1 today! Last time I did one (in June) I used this forum for the first time and found it very helpful. Looking forward to going through this with you all!

Just cooked up a bunch of food and had a delicious, satisfying dinner of pork hash over fresh spinach. It's good to be back on track, even though it's just day 1. Wow Mollyz, that's a great description of the benefits of Whole30. Ditto for me. Great reminder. Inspirational to read your post.

I began today, Jan 1st! This is my third Whole30. After my first 30 I became pregnant and struggled to continue with the best habits, the second one I was nursing and it was still difficult. I'm still nursing, but not for many more months. My hubby and I have actually challenged each other to attempt a Whole365.... crazy I know! Has anyone else done a 365?

I'm @findtheskinny on Instagram. I post my meals there a lot! 

Hi, Friends,

I'm Shakti, and I began my second Whole30 this morning. I thought I didn't over-celebrate for New Years, but I've felt really terrible all day. But, I ate well, and enough, and I'm happy about that. I'm doing this Whole30 because 1) I'm beginning even more sensitive to gluten and 2) 2015 was easily the most challenging year of my life. I'll be 43 this month, and I knew I had to definitvely choose myself and my health. I've gained nearly 30lbs in the last 2 years-- dealing with grief and stress. So, yesterday I weighed myself one last time, and turned my attention to making my health the biggest priority for the entire month.

And I'm excited because I remember how great I felt the first time I did it!

I'm just going to take it day by day. I've scheduled 2 massages and a sauna session. I can't curtail my schedule because I own a business, but I'm off until Monday Jan 4, so I should be able to kind of get myself righted over the weekend.

2 things I want to cook this month

Lamb meatballs

marinated and grilled chicken hearts

Truthfully-- after drinking like a fish all month I'm missing a cocktail right now. I stocked up on Kombucha and teas, though.

I will survive!

I'm grateful I have the resources to choose exactly what I eat.

Howdy errbody! I'm planning to start my first real Whole30 tomorrow! I attempted Whole30 back in October of 2014, but wasn't able to fully stick to it. I'm excited (and terrified) to do it right this time! I have been steadily gaining weight since college, and even though I've drastically changed my day-to-day eating habits in the past 7 years (focusing mostly on eating animal proteins, healthy fats and veggie carbs with minimal sugar and processed carbs), I still can't seem to shed the weight. I think my body is in need of something even more strict. Here's to hoping that Whole30 is the magical cure! Happy 2016!

Happy to have a successful day 1 - it sets the tone for me. Started re-reading Whole30 just to put me back in touch with what I'm doing. Did an easy sautéed ground lamb curry for supper. Sipping seltzer and lime to stave off the wishing for a glass of wine.

Day one is in the books. Like a few others have mentioned, the initial weighing and measurements were more than a little depressing. But it really cemented why I need to do this. Not to mention the headache from last night's indulgences. But I'm choosing to let it motivate me on this journey.

Today involved lots of driving, but I packed a cooler of food and was able to hit up a Whole Foods mid-day to supplement my lunch. (They even had a couple of compliant paleo dishes in their hot bar. It was a really nice surprise.)

It's so great reading everyone's posts as we take on this journey. Like a big, virtual party. Onward and upward! :-D

• Moderators

Day 1 done! I'm super thirsty, and a bit hungry even though I stuffed myself with dinner. I forget how much food and water it takes! Time to chug some water, and maybe grab a mini-meal.

As your body detoxes and gets rid of chemicals and inflammation, it can make you very thirsty. Our recommendation is to drink 1/2oz of water per pound of body weight every day... be sure to do this consistently throughout the day and don't back load the water at the end of the day just to get it in... Also, it's been shown that thirst can often be mistaken for hunger so maybe do the water first and if you're still hungry enough to eat something bland like steamed fish and greens, then go for that mini-meal!

• Moderators

It is just something that I drink too much of and need to start my day, then I end up drinking coffee all day. So I've switched my coffee for a black decaf with breakfast and no more coffee after that.

Good for you for realizing that it's something that needs a more healthy relationship! Coffee is a huge cultural thing and to shift your way of thinking about it deserves great kudos!

Day 2 nearly down, I have dinner to go but stocked up on food this afternoon and have heaps of veggies so think I should be fine with improvising ( I love cooking and I'm also a mad Weber barbeque user and thankfully it is the perfect time of the year for barbies in Oz). I'm still trying to get my head around pre-WO/post WO eating. I went for a 5km run early this morning this morning and didn't really have enough fat to eat for it even though it was only a light run, really just a small portion of walnuts and some cold turkey meat. Wasn't hungry when I got home but an hour later the hunger hit bad. Had a yummy breakfast of salmon, kale, onions, garlic and mushrooms cooked with coconut oil around 9.00am but was starving again by around 11.30/12. I had a one hour session scheduled with my PT for 2pm so ate at 12.30ish but given I hadn't really done enough shopping at that point had to make do with what was in the cupboard which was some pretty sad little nori roll wraps with cold ham and cucumber, I didn't even have any avocado's in the house so again, pre-w/o meal lacked enough fat content.

By the time I got home from a horror session (legs day eugh!) my turkey bone broth that had been on the go all night and half the day was ready to come off so I actually made myself a cup of that with some turkey meat in it and veg, was really delicious and made me realise bone broth may well be my go to drink over this W30 time. Have had awful tummy issues of late so part of this W30 for me is really about healing tummy/gut inflammation. I also suspect part of my tummy issue is overly starchy carbs so am kind of steering clear of sweet potatoes and the like for the time being. Oh, and I forgot to mention when I told my PT about my W30 she was a bit questioning about it and said she would check it out on line and get back to me with her thoughts-I told her I was committed to it for the 30 days (possibly longer we'll see how it goes) and instead brought her in my copy of ISWF to read, I also warned her to expect greater endurance and strength in my training schedule  :D

Anyhow, my mood is good, I'm feeling positive and happy and buzzing a bit from getting active again after a few days off with the Christmas/NY excess. It is really lovely to read all the posts on here and see the encouragement and support from the community. I also really value the input and opinion of the moderators and W30 regulars with my own and everybody else's questions. I'd forgotten about the knowledge rush that comes with the W30 and the way it works to help us understand our own bodies and body functioning so much better. Thank you to all for the inspiration!  :)

Oh, and the other super exciting thing I found today was some Ghee made from organic unsalted butter which means tomorrow I'm back to bullet-proof coffee [well W30 compliant anyway] -yay!!! Black coffee the last two days has sucked big time and I can't say I'm a big fan of coconut milk in coffee either. 

Okay, here goes... I've just finished Day One, 01-01-2016 and treated myself to the new Star Wars movie. I Just joined Harrison on a little millennial falcon ride for motivation to really do this thing! Please share any idas to help reduce the withdrawals.

And to each of Us: The Force Will Be With Us!

Hello from New South Wales. I am starting tomorrow 3rd January. Did the weekly shop today. Lots of Grass fed meat from Aldi and plenty of colourful vegetables. Minimal fruit for me as I am a sugar addict. 

This will be my first official Whole 30 but I have played around with it for a few months.

I have been Pepsi Max free for last two days in preparation for the start as I am concerned that I will miss it terribly as that has been my "go to" drug of choice when I am craving sugar.

I am looking forward to following everyones journey.

I don't have a lot of weight to lose. probably about 7-8kg but I have noticed more and more that sugar makes me so tired that I need to nap and bread makes me feel really down.

Luckily I recognise the signs now and know what I need to do.

Good luck everyone :-)

Made some turkey meatballs yesterday so with half an avocado and a bunch of grape tomatoes, I'm good to go on a portable breakfast as I head out the door to work. More energy today. Wondering if I was detoxing a bit yesterday or just feeling the natural high of commitment. Whatever it is -I'll take it!!!!

Archived