Veggies with Breakfast

LindsayO

I normally eat fried eggs, bacon, and avocado for breakfast. I cook the eggs at home, then zap the bacon in the microwave at work and get my avocado. The thought of adding veggies to the breakfast plate seems a little overwhelming, especially since I'm in a hurry to get out the door with my little one.

Besides egg muffins, what other ways are there to get some veggies in for meal #1?

I'm not much of an omelet eater, and for eggs I usually just like them fried.

• Moderators

I was thinking of baby carrots and other grab-y veggies...but to fill up a plate of them? I can see having a little bag of baby carrots with my eggs and compliant bacon. Would that be okay?

It's a start, but we really want you to have 1-3 cups of vegetables with each meal, one cup being the bare minimum.

How about salads -- not those wimpy iceberg lettuce with a sad slice of tomato things, but ones like these: Snap peas with lemon & pistachio, Spring Chopped Salad, a potato salad, Citrusy Carrot and Radish salad, Sweet & Salty Broccoli Salad, or Belly Dance Beet Salad? Any of those should hold up pretty well for several days in the fridge so you could make them ahead and divide them into easy-to-grab containers to take to work with you. And they'd be way more exciting than a few carrot sticks.  You can also cook sweet potatoes in the crockpot overnight and have a baked sweet potato hot and ready first thing in the morning if that sounds good.

Put a blended soup in a thermos and take it with you. Warm, delicious, and you can do any veggies really. The golden cauliflower one from well fed, nom nom paleo quick tomato soup, and a cream of onion and mushroom one I just came up with one afternoon have been my personal favorites, but there are tons of easy recipes online or you can come up with your own :)

When I have soups though I do have another vegetable along with it since soups tend to digest a little quicker. So maybe baby carrots or roasted broccoli and a few cups of Well Fed silky ginger zucchini soup?!

We've been prepping breakfasts and lunches after dinner each night. My husband wakes up really early for work each day, so having breakfast in the fridge and ready to microwave or warm up in the oven is super convenient for him! We'll saute broccoli, onions, spinach, and other veggies and throw some eggs on top and he'll eat it like a scramble and then he's out the door! It has been so helpful to have a clean kitchen in the mornings and it's really beneficial to prep everything so we're not pressed for time. PLUS we get our veggies in each morning! 

Cucumber is my go to breakfast vegetable (with mayonnaise to dip it in), I think the cool refreshing vibe is perfect to perk you up first thing. But leftover roasted veggies are also something I live in the morning, carrots, sprouts, peppers, parsnips, potatoes-all yum cold and great dipped in mayonnaise!

My breakfast always starts with a handful or two of some kind of greens (this week is a spinach/ spring mix blend.) What ever I eat goes on top of that. I chop extra veggies when making dinner and keep containers of them in the fridge to add to those greens depending on what else I'm having.

My Meal 1 rarely changes and I haven't gotten tired of it yet. It helps that I have the parts already prepped and in the refrigerator. It could be assembled and heated at work.

I make a rough hash of:

Ground beef, browned with onion and mushrooms. (Other leftover meat like Kalua Pig works well, too)

Roasted sweet potato cubes.

Brussels sprouts roasted with bacon.

Heat that in a skillet or microwave. Top with eggs fried in ghee. Season to taste with S&P, hot sauce, salsa, etc. I have recently rediscovered turmeric. I love it with this combo. I usually have a handful of grape tomatoes on the side.

Once a week I need a portable breakfast to eat at work at 5am--slightly longer than an hour past rising. I take a serving of breakfast casserole (eaten cold), assorted vegetables (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, radishes, etc) and either homemade ranch dip or guacamole, and sometimes celery with sunflower seed butter.

Pre-sautee some onions and bell peppers to put in your eggs.

Or instead of fried egg, make up and then reheat a fritatta loaded with spinach, mushroom, onion, pepper, tomato, etc.

I like to eat baby carrots or grape tomatoes with breakfast.

• 3 weeks later...

My breakfast always starts with a handful or two of some kind of greens (this week is a spinach/ spring mix blend.) What ever I eat goes on top of that. I chop extra veggies when making dinner and keep containers of them in the fridge to add to those greens depending on what else I'm having.

I have been doing the same thing.  Almost anything I eat is on top of a huge pile of greens! (spinach, romaine, arugula, kale are my favorites) Add some dumpranch, mayo or apple cider vinegar drizzle - then add your meal on top. It is a win-win.   I also make breakfast casseroles and freeze them into squares.  I still tend to add a leftover vegetable with it in the morning, though.

Another great way to sneak in more vegetables to your breakfast is a quick frittata or open omelet.  I have found that roasted carrots are my favorite vegetable to add with turmeric and cumin spices.  Basically, I found I love breakfast so much I have made it a point to wake up early and give myself the extra 30 minutes or so to prepare and consume a well-balanced breakfast at home.  For the days I am in a rush, the breakfast casserole from the freezer is a great grab-and-go thing to heat up at work.  Hope this helps!

For something portable, you could make lettuce cups - dice up your bacon/avocado/eggs and top with salsa, slaw and/or diced roasted veggies and something pickled to cut through the fat (like jalapenos)..

Or when it doubt, just add sauerkraut!

Archived