So lets get the whole "I know sugar and added sugar is bad for you" - out of the way. I know that. However, once this program is done, and I don't have a regular cup of tea  in hand with a teaspoon of sugar - I'm going to go insane. 

So in preparation of completing whole 30, I wanted to get some recommendations of what sugar would be best to go back to?
What is the healthiest option that I can put in my cup of tea. 

Also if you have recommendations for baking - though I'm in no rush to do that (tea is priority) - that would also be great!

Thanks!

I can't weigh in on what would be the healthiest type of sugar, although I would tend to think that 'real' sugar is the best because you want to avoid any artificial junk.... but, I CAN say that you might not have a taste for the sugar in your tea anymore.  I used to be a latte kind of girl with vanilla syrup.  Now, I usually get either an americano or if I do feel like off-roading, I'll get an americano with a splash of milk and one half pump of syrup.  I can't stomach anything more sweet than that in my coffee!

• Administrators

We really don't offer good-better-best for things like sugar that are in your life after Whole30.  It's really up to the introductions that you do and how you feel following those tests.  Maybe honey doens't wake the sugar dragon but white sugar does? Maybe coconut sugar gives you and upset stomach but you're good with stevia? Maybe agave makes you vomit (no...wait...that's just me.). ;)

The thing with "sugar" is it's a product like anything else with a million variations that you simply have to try for yourself.

Same with baking.  Do your trials first and then determine how you feel after a muffin or a cookie etc.

• Moderators

You assume that your tastes will remain the same. You assume that you will want to consume the same things you have consumed before. It would be a deep shame if all your assumptions prove correct. Thousands of people find that their taste for sweet stuff changes by the time they do a Whole30. And thousands want to consume different foods than they have before. Let's hope you are one whose tastes change. 

You assume that your tastes will remain the same. You assume that you will want to consume the same things you have consumed before. It would be a deep shame if all your assumptions prove correct. Thousands of people find that their taste for sweet stuff changes by the time they do a Whole30. And thousands want to consume different foods than they have before. Let's hope you are one whose tastes change.

I know this has been said in both books, and I've even read it here before, but it makes such an impact when you "see it for yourself!" I just did my second food reintro...knowing dairy was going to be the best thing ever, even if my lactose sensitivity was still present, so I could try creamer in my coffee and ice cream. BOTH were a huge disappointment!! They didn't taste right at all! Initially my first thought was "the whole 30 broke my tastebuds!!" But my new way of thinking and eating took over right way, and that thought was followed by "its so amazing how many transformations I have gone through, yet another unexpected benefit of doing this...those things weren't helping me feel good anyway!"

I am freaking out, just a bit.

This afternoon at lunch, about 1:30 pm, I ate the 5 ingredient spaghetti casserole (with spaghetti squash) and Italian sausage. I waited until today, Day 31 because the sausage had sugar listed as an added ingredient. I also had an apple with cashew butter, because I am running tomorrow morning.

Now, about 5:50, I feel bloated! My jeans feel tight, and they haven't been tight throughout the W30! I feel gross! The only thing I've eaten differently is the Italian sausage with the added sugar! I haven't even been craving sugar, and I used to be a sugar addict. Could this reaction I'm experiencing be from the small amount of the sugar in the sausage?!

• Moderators

I am freaking out, just a bit.

This afternoon at lunch, about 1:30 pm, I ate the 5 ingredient spaghetti casserole (with spaghetti squash) and Italian sausage. I waited until today, Day 31 because the sausage had sugar listed as an added ingredient. I also had an apple with cashew butter, because I am running tomorrow morning.

Now, about 5:50, I feel bloated! My jeans feel tight, and they haven't been tight throughout the W30! I feel gross! The only thing I've eaten differently is the Italian sausage with the added sugar! I haven't even been craving sugar, and I used to be a sugar addict. Could this reaction I'm experiencing be from the small amount of the sugar in the sausage?!

It would be weird for just that bit of sugar to cause you to be bloated. Is everything else you ate stuff that you've had before, or did you have a lot more of anything than usual?

Thank you, Shannon and Julie!

I've been eating more toasted cashews than I *probably* should. I'll stop that. And I didn't consider the sodium, but that seems like a reasonable assumption. I did workout in the afternoon as well, and I *never* do that.

I did eat more of the casserole for dinner, and after my 5 mile run this morning, had no problem with my pants this morning. Weird. I'm going to do a very slow roll reintroduction. I don't miss a lot of things the way I thought I would (like Greek yogurt, or bread), so I'll continue to forgo them until I really would like to have them. I think skipping those foods are better for me in the long run. :)

Archived