Coconut oil is bad for us?

jhwordsmith

Hi everybody,

I did a Whole30 in May 2016 and I loved it so much I've pretty much kept up with all the good habits - especially staying away from gluten, sugar, beans, dairy and alcohol. I will only occasionally have something from those groups - and only if it is really going to make me happy (using the chart about how to choose to eat a food).

I'm just seeing this article in the New York Times and am surprised to see that coconut oil gets such a low health rating from nutritionists: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/07/05/upshot/is-sushi-healthy-what-about-granola-where-americans-and-nutritionists-disagree.html

This is surprising to me as I still cook with coconut oil and even slip it into my coffee in the morning (blended with coconut milk - as a homemade creamer). I know in Whole30 it is one of our cooking fats.

So should I be worried?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

Julie

• Moderators

I'd say keep in mind that these are the same nutritionists who are saying tofu, hummus and wine are healthy -- clearly they don't have the same mindset as Whole30.

Use a variety of different fat sources, eat lots of vegetables, and don't worry too much about it. (No, I can't point to a study that says that, but I find that if I delve too deeply into trying to figure out what the most healthy stuff is, I drive myself crazy, and then I eat a piece of cake anyway because if you look long enough, you can find evidence that nothing is healthy, and if nothing is healthy, why not have cake? I do not advocate this approach, it doesn't actually work well as a way to improve your health, it's just the way my mind can work sometimes.)

There's so much mind warp being thrown at everyone.   Remember many experts are all in agreement with refined carbs for 'diabetic' eating protocols and eating/snacking every 2 hours to fix your blood sugar. Constantly feeding oneself 6 x day and adjusting insulin....tofu and hummus aren't the Rx for the obesity crisis we have in this nation.  The highest in the world.       

Ask the creators of this program what they think.  

I believe I've seen some articles (perhaps Robb Wolf or Mark Sisson) about medium chain fatty acids or some such thing that explains coconut oil in a good light. But I studied art history as a student and I can't possibly take my eating to a level of nutritional dissection every time I plan a meal. That is crazy making for me.

nutritionists

Some confuse the terms "dietitian" and "nutritionist," and this tends to be erroneous. However in many countries and jurisdictions, the title "nutritionist" is not subject to professional regulation; any person may call themselves a nutrition expert even if they are wholly self-taught. In the United Kingdom, Australia, parts of Canada and most US states, the term nutritionist is not legally protected

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nutritionist

Archived