January 2nd start date

calibilly

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Julzology said:

Day #2!  

I feel like I've been hit by a truck.  I think it's the combination of detox from New Year's Eve and the after effects of my first Orange Theory Fitness workout yesterday.  That workout totally kicked my ass (but in a good way).  I'm going back tomorrow for more (because possibly I'm crazy). 

Made the mistake of not checking the label on organic broth I purchased and both contain cane sugar.  Problem is I made a big pot of crock put beef stew this morning using the beef broth.  Now I have to decide if I just skip the meal that I prepared or eat it and start over tomorrow.  In fact, I'm not really even calling it starting over, more like just adding some days to the end.  

I need to source some sugar free broth or make my own.  

I hope I'm not posting a reply to this over and over, my phone is being weird. Just in case, short version this time. Feeling like you've been hit by a truck is pretty normal for days 2 and 3. Will be seriously exacerbated if you do not eat enough fat and proteins. Will seriously wipe you out if you try to skip fat. :-)

• Moderators
1 hour ago, sambaty4 said:

Hello and happy day 2! I have a recipe question that I'm hoping you can help with. I had some "avocado egg salad" this morning for breakfast, and while browsing the forum realized that I really need to add vegetables to this meal in the future. Right now it's simple - 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado, plus a couple chopped up cherry tomatoes. Can any of you think of a way I could incorporate veggies? I can't think of anything that would taste good with the existing egg salad.

Thanks!

Use celery or carrots or bell pepper or jicama to scoop up the egg salad. Have a vegetable soup on the side. Mix the egg salad into a big tossed salad with lots of veggies. Your meals don't have to be what other people would think of as normal, just pick some vegetables to eat.

1 hour ago, MSpring said:

Also on day 2. Starting to feel overwhelmed/depressed with the reality that I'll be eating like this for 28 more days, but I'm excited and positive for the outcome. So conflicted! 

What makes it feel overwhelming or depressing? Do you feel like you're limited in what you'll be eating? Or overwhelmed by the number of recipes you're finding? 

If it's that you feel limited, know that you aren't. There are tons of recipes out there, and lots of different ways to get your protein, fat, and vegetables in.

If you've already found tons of recipes and are overwhelmed by the thought of cooking all those different things, know that you don't have to. I cook a lot of ground beef, grilled chicken, and roasted vegetables, and just occasionally try new recipes to avoid boredom, or because I have extra time to cook.

If there's something else specific worrying you, please share -- someone here on the forum is bound to have faced a similar struggle, and we may be able to help.

1 hour ago, sambaty4 said:

Hello and happy day 2! I have a recipe question that I'm hoping you can help with. I had some "avocado egg salad" this morning for breakfast, and while browsing the forum realized that I really need to add vegetables to this meal in the future. Right now it's simple - 2 hard boiled eggs and half an avocado, plus a couple chopped up cherry tomatoes. Can any of you think of a way I could incorporate veggies? I can't think of anything that would taste good with the existing egg salad.

Thanks!

I roasted several different types of veggies and just pair them with the meals as a side. For breakfast I had 2 eggs, squash, zucchini, and avocado. Kind of random, but just kind of rolled with it. Maybe even turn your avocado egg salad into an actual "salad" with lots of veggies. 

I made the homemade mayo in the Whole30 book..... GAME CHANGER! If you haven't made it you are missing out (if you like mayo of course). Yesterday I grilled several "perfect hamburger" patties for easy lunch options. That with a side of homemade mayo and cauliflower rice.... yummy and very filling!! 

Hey all! I started yesterday too! This is my third Whole30. My first was ok, lots of ups and downs, my second was a tighter ship and I dropped tons of weight and hit my healthy eating mindset. Ive gotten a bit off track (ok, a lot off track) and am so excited to get back to clean eating!

Coming back to work has been harder than I thought it would be.  The remnants of the holiday candy and other treats are still all over the office.  I ran to the drug store and was surprised that I wanted candy.  I had been giving into that for a while and it is a habit I NEED to break considering I don't even really like candy all that much! Since I had been giving into every urge for chocolate, popcorn, shortbread cookies, etc during the holidays I guess I became more addicted to it than I thought.  I am very much a "SEE FOOD" eater so seeing this stuff around the office still is hard.  I just need to drink more water, have another cup of tea and remember why I am doing this.  

I am not cranky or "hungover" but I could be in the early phases of Kill all the things, oh well!! It just means I am doing something right, I guess!  

Thanks for listening! I just needed to vent. :-)

2 hours ago, MSpring said:

Also on day 2. Starting to feel overwhelmed/depressed with the reality that I'll be eating like this for 28 more days, but I'm excited and positive for the outcome. So conflicted! 

If it makes you feel any better, I cried today. Not because I'm sad over anything or anyone in particular. I just sat down and had an ugly cry thinking how much my whole body's going to fight me on these changes, and how many times I've screwed this up for myself in the past. And then I laughed because then I remembered that this is a normal feeling for some of us with attachment issues. Hang in there. It sucks right now, and that's okay. It'll get better. 

Day 2 for me too! I have been gluten free for a while, and had been lowering my sugar over the last week or so and only having dairy once a day or not at all for a week now... all in hopes of lessening the hangover but woah! I've got a killer sinus headache on the right side of my face/head.... it's definitely a sinus headache, I'm tender along my cheek bone, the ridge of my nose, and my forehead/around my eye socket. I'm drinking some tea called "sinus soother" to hopefully help with this... I was planning on going to the gym today to lift but all I want to do is keep my eyes closed and keep pressing on my face. Would working out and getting blood flowing help or just make it worse? 

On 1/1/2017 at 5:44 PM, Oh the Irony said:

Hi all! I"m also starting on the 2nd. I've been reading up and making some recipes for the last 6 weeks. I didn't want to start over holidays but have been excited to start. 

I've had some episodes of vertigo recently and my ear feels funny (like it's under water) 70% of the time. I'm hoping that by reducing inflammation in my body I can help the condition. Also hoping to sleep better, have more energy, and end the food cravings. Happy I don't have to work tomorrow and can focus on cooking some good food.  

Omg. I've had the same thing. I went to the ER with vertigo and thought I was dying. That feeling has passed but I feel out of sorts...like I'm swimming or wearing the wrong prescription glasses. I'm going to the ENT tomorrow but also hoping the Whole30 will reduce the inflamation. Good luck!

1 hour ago, CarleenVC said:

Day 2 for me too! I have been gluten free for a while, and had been lowering my sugar over the last week or so and only having dairy once a day or not at all for a week now... all in hopes of lessening the hangover but woah! I've got a killer sinus headache on the right side of my face/head.... it's definitely a sinus headache, I'm tender along my cheek bone, the ridge of my nose, and my forehead/around my eye socket. I'm drinking some tea called "sinus soother" to hopefully help with this... I was planning on going to the gym today to lift but all I want to do is keep my eyes closed and keep pressing on my face. Would working out and getting blood flowing help or just make it worse? 

@CarleenVC, I'm so sorry to hear about your sinus headaches. I get them too often. Working out helps mine -- but listen to your body. If you get started and feel like death, it's okay to back off. Hang in there!

On 12/25/2016 at 3:13 AM, oldcrone said:

Starting January 2, but pretty worried about it.  The last time I tried to cut sugar, I got pretty sick.  I also live in a very stressful household with people who love to bake and keep all kind of junk food in the refrigerator and cabinets.  Stress eating has become a way of life, so the next week will be huge for planning, journaling, and getting more real food in the house.  

I have a husband who I love dearly but he likes his drinks at night and his fast food. He tells me how important it is for us both to lose weight, but he will ask hey honey want a drink? Or hey honey I just ordered a pizza etc. It is very difficult to lose weight. Any advise?

Day 2 in the can for me - back to school today too, so I had to be extra prepared.  I made a yummy lunch, and made an additional serving for my teaching neighbor. She's going to start her 1st round on 1/8, so I thought I'd give her some nutritional encouragement. ;)  

I felt like crap today, and knew from prior W30 that I would so I scheduled a detoxing massage for after work.  I made sure to drink lots of water today and am hoping that the massage will help to rid me of some of the crap.  Either way, it felt good!

I just finished making dump ranch dressing and W30 mayo, as well as packing my lunch for tomorrow - roast beef and 1/2 baked potato w/olive oil, apple and water.  

Tomorrow and Thursday ought to be "Kill all the Things" days . . . my students better be wary - very very wary!  haha!

Good luck, everyone!  W30 on!

So just got through day 2  and feeling ok.  So far (fingers crossed) I'm not craving sugar (although seeing the donuts in the office this morning was difficult).  I just told myself I wasn't hungry (I wasn't) and I don't need to eat it just because it's there.  I don't know if it's me or not but I feel pretty full after the meals so far.  No chance of grazing or getting hungry later.  I'm using the meal plan in the whole 30 book exactly as stated.  Thought the first week would go easier then and the others will follow.

I've cooked more in the last 2 days than I have in months!!  Food is good and I'm feeling good.  How about you other day 2'ers??

Hi! Started my whole30 today and had a great first day! I've had many digestive issues over the past 10-15 years. I've cut out sugar, grains and tried eating healthy overall, which has seen some results but not enough. I'm a little, no very nervous about being hungry and craving sugar (my worst enemy☹️) but really tired of feeling crappy all the time. Looking forward to feeling better and having more energy! Good luck to all fellow 1st day whole30ers and know we can all do this (trying to pep talk myself into staying strong).

I started actually on the 1st and I'm looking forward to the journey. I had considered myself a healthy eater but I love cheese and bread. I always feel bloated. I exercise regularly and between working full time and parenting, prepared meals from places like Costco is a lifesaver but not healthy. I must already be detoxing because I have been eating nonstop and I'm starved and I'm dragging. I'm eating literally ever hour and half. Must be the lack of cheap carbs...

• Moderators
2 hours ago, LKAEFF said:

I have a husband who I love dearly but he likes his drinks at night and his fast food. He tells me how important it is for us both to lose weight, but he will ask hey honey want a drink? Or hey honey I just ordered a pizza etc. It is very difficult to lose weight. Any advise?

You can only control what you do, you can't control what he does. If he's not ready to commit to Whole30, but you are, you can do it by yourself, although obviously it'll be a little harder than if he were really on board. Maybe if you fix Whole30 meals that he'll enjoy for the meals you share, he'll realize it's not so bad and be more willing to be on board, or maybe he won't, but either way, you can choose to eat healthy.

In life, there are always temptations, always things that we want that we know aren't good for us or don't align with our other goals. Doesn't matter whether we're talking food, or relationships, or material possessions. At the end of the day, he could fill your house with your favorite pizza -- but you can choose not to eat it. If he asks if you want a drink, say, no, I'm good. If he says, I ordered pizza, say, that's fine, but I'm eating this other meal I've prepared. If he wants you to go out somewhere, you can research your best options for places that you can find Whole30 food, or you can suggest non-food activities. There are always options. You do what you need to do for you, and hopefully, he'll decide to join you at some point, but if not, that's his choice.

8 hours ago, teachermama said:

I started yesterday as well.  I did a lot of prep on Sunday and I was home from work yesterday so I was able to do some more prep in the morning.  The day went well.  No cravings. I still have a lot of junk in my house because of my husband.  He eats the opposite of healthy.  I will have to have some strong will power in the next month!  I was back to work today and packed all my food with snacks.  I am a teacher and my staff room is always filled with food.  So, I know it is important to have healthy snacks on hand.  So far I have not been tempted to eat off the table in the lounge. This is my second Whole 30, but I was not good about the reintroduction process with the first round.  I have been having huge self confidence issues lately and I am hoping this will help me feel better about myself.

Good luck to everyone!

Oh my goodness my husband eats the same way! In fact, as I type this right now he's downing a plate of cinnamon rolls and cookies. They smell so good! But I haven't cheated and I've tried to separate his unhealthy food from mine. Actual meals are fine because we pretty much eat the same food but he'll add rice or bread, which doesn't really bother me. It's those sweet snacks! Have you found any tricks that helps you get through? 

It's awesome you've done a Whole30 before, congrats! You'll definitely be able to power through this round. Good luck!

7 hours ago, MSpring said:

You can do this! It's my first round so I can't speak from much experience but just focus on the days that you have completed so far. There are tiny accomplishments that we can still get excited over even though this is just the beginning. Best of luck!

• Moderators
37 minutes ago, DasiF said:

I'm a little, no very nervous about being hungry and craving sugar (my worst enemy☹️)

You really shouldn't ever be hungry. Ideally, your meals will keep you satisfied 4-5 hours at a time, and if they aren't, then you probably either need to eat more in general, or there's something about what you're eating you need to tweak. Here's the meal template that you should use as a guideline for what your meals ought to look like. Between meals, if you are hungry -- as in, you'd happily eat something bland and boring like plain steamed fish and broccoli -- go ahead and eat something. Try to make it a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables, or at least two of the three.

Being sure you're eating enough will help a lot with cravings too. You'll have fewer cravings when you're satisfied, and it's a lot easier not to give in to any cravings you do have if you know that you're full and that you'll have another big meal coming up.

Hi!  I started the first.  The is my second attempt at a Whole30.  First time was in August 2015.  Quit at Day 17.  I did have some lasting changes to beverages in particular so it's easier this time!  I had switched to black coffee and no diet soda so I don't have to conquer them this time!  How is everyone doing?  Just finishing D3 and so far so good!

Archived