Meatloaf question

Donroger

12 hours ago, Donroger said:

Thanks for the quick answers, it sounds like leaving it out will work best for me. I also like the idea of adding a few vegetables to kill two birds with one stone.

Don

I use a small onion and a couple cloves of garlic. I mince it really fine with my food processor and add that with an egg, to the meat. I have used a tbsp or 2 of coconut flour and it was good but definitely not needed. 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

I  actually did an experiment last year with this... Made 2 mini loaves - one with coconut flour one without.  I actually preferred the one without - it was a pretty subtle difference but I liked the meatier one better :) I also used onion, garlic and some carrots finely chopped in my processor.  Wrapping it in bacon will also help ;)  

I found the post where I mentioned it:

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Artistjunk said:

I don't know yet what is compliant but I would say smashed potatoes would be replacement for crackers? Just curious if that would be ok. As far as I know from what I have read potatoes are ok. 

Yes, potatoes are fine, and yes, you could cook some and smash them up and mix it with your meatloaf. Sweet potatoes would also work -- I've actually made these meatballs and instead of chopping the sweet potatoes, mashed them to add in, and they were really tasty. Not exactly meatloaf but the same basic idea.

I use almond meal as a replacement for my usual filler (which is bread crumbs). I also chop up celery, onions, garlic, and italian parsley, and mix those in. Sometimes I add currants or raisins. I top the meatloaf with compliant marinara sauce, either by itself or mixed with compliant brown mustard, which I know sounds weird, but it's really good. Especially if I can find compliant whole grain mustard.

Archived