Headaches and Poop

What a fun topic to talk about, huh? I have been doing Whole30 for 48 days now. After day 30, I stayed mostly Whole30 but ate a few things here or there that weren't compliant. Anyway, throughout the whole 48 days, I have woken up with a slight headache every day and it never really seems to go away. Also, my poop is the worst. I only poop every 2-3 days and when I do, it's a small amount and very squishy and hard to get out.

Before starting Whole30, I knew my gut was messed up. I was depressed and anxious most of the time and I felt bloated and just messed up on the inside. I'm wondering if I need to make any changes to my diet going forward to feel amazing. Or if I just need to do another strict round and stop having the occasional treat until I'm finally healed. Any tips would be appreciated! Here's a list of what I eat everyday. Oh, and I realized that I have been eating way too many potatoes so I'm going to try to cut back and replace them with veggies. If you think that's the problem, I'd love to know so I can be sure to keep cutting them out.

Breakfast:

Typically 3 eggs, either some pulled pork or bacon, half an avocado, sauerkraut or kale coleslaw on the side. Probably could do better about adding more veggies here. Used to add in about 2 small red potatoes but have cut those out for now.

Lunch:

A can of tuna with homemade mayo, pumpkin seeds, half an apple, spinach. Sometimes using plantain chips to dip with them. Other days I'll make BLT lettuce wraps with turkey lunch meat, tomato, lettuce, mayo, bacon, avocado. Sometimes with chips on the side (baked in avocado oil).

Dinner:

Chicken breast or pulled pork, green beans/kale coleslaw/brussel sprouts/broccoli/cauliflower, potatoes, mayo or avocado as a side. Sometimes we'll do chicken curry over a baked potato. Sometimes a soup which has potatoes/ground beef/kale. Dinner is always something different every night, so it's hard to list every meal we make, but I always try to make sure there's a meat, potato, veggie and fat.

Also: taking magnesium supplements, cod liver oil supplements, a "hair and nail" health supplement from whole foods that is compliant, drinking kombucha every day. Rarely I drink coffee, but I do drink tea every day.

I have done 2 rounds of Whole30 in the past and I remember feeling much better than this round. Plus in my last 2 rounds combined, I lost 15lbs (and have since gained it back), but in this past round, I only lost 3-4 lbs. I just feel like something is off and would love your thoughts! Thanks!!

It could be the potatoes - you wouldn't be the first person to get headaches from them so it's probably worth cutting them out even for a week to see if the headaches subside.

That said it could also be a number of other things...

How much water are you drinking? Are you salting your food? How is your sleep?

2 hours ago, jmcbn said:

It could be the potatoes - you wouldn't be the first person to get headaches from them so it's probably worth cutting them out even for a week to see if the headaches subside.

That said it could also be a number of other things...

How much water are you drinking? Are you salting your food? How is your sleep?

I'm drinking a lot of water! About 90oz a day. Yes, salting my food generously. My sleep is pretty good. I sleep 7-9 hours a night, but not sure I feel totally rested when I wake up. 

I'll try cutting out the potatoes completely for now! The only activity I do is a daily walk, so I'm not sure I really even need the carbs. 

Did you start taking any supplements you weren't taking before? Get much natural potassium? (bananas & avocado both have heaps)

You could try having a lot more fat, it's one of the things that keeps everything moving (fat + water + veggies).
Zucchini is a great one for lots of gentle fibre, especially for replacing potatoes as it's neither a nightshade nor a FODMAP (in case one of those is giving you any trouble).

Constipation can also cause headaches, so try and work on both problems as it may be caused by the same issue.

1 hour ago, praxisproject said:

Did you start taking any supplements you weren't taking before? Get much natural potassium? (bananas & avocado both have heaps)

You could try having a lot more fat, it's one of the things that keeps everything moving (fat + water + veggies).
Zucchini is a great one for lots of gentle fibre, especially for replacing potatoes as it's neither a nightshade nor a FODMAP (in case one of those is giving you any trouble).

Constipation can also cause headaches, so try and work on both problems as it may be caused by the same issue.

I started taking the cod liver oil around day 20-25, I think. And I'm eating at least a whole avocado every day. Good to know about constipation causing headaches! I didn't know that. I've also been feeling very tired the past week or so...something in my gut must be funky right now.

You could try cutting out the cod liver oil, it's an unlikely culprit though, unless it has additives like soy.

Avocado is part of the latex family, which also includes plantains and bananas (and some types of rubber gloves, don't eat those :P it's a weird family).

Avocado is also high FODMAP. Spinach is high in potassium but is low FODMAP.

Not sure if someone said this or not yet, but being constipated can cause headaches. If you feel like you're BMs are incomplete and malformed, you might check out a compliant probiotic.  As someone else mentioned, I might try cutting the cod liver out. From a chinese medicine perspective (I'm an acupuncturist), if your digestive system is weak, the cod liver oil might be too "damp" and clogging to your system. Good luck!

Archived