FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, samnkelli said:

Hang in there everyone -- those that are on Day 10 and those that are close behind!  Day 10 and 11 are the hardest days, according to the Whole 30 timeline:

This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You’ve put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you’re still waiting for the results you’re hoping to see. Your  brain tells you that you deserve some kind of reward (don’t you?) and, of course, we’ve been conditioned to think of food as the best reward out there. Right now, you’re craving that ice cream, beer, or whatever treat you think would make for just the right reward. But, instead of that treat, you’re standing face to face with the realization that you have 20 more days of deprivation ahead of you.

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

Don't quit...tiger blood is (hopefully) right around the corner!  If you have already fallen off the wagon but are still reading this board, I hope you try again!!

Mom2210s, search this forum for comments about compliant options at Panera. Or if the options are so limited at Panera, can you bring your own complaint dinner with you?  I know I've gotten their cobb salad before and used my own dressing and omitted the bacon (was not on W30 when I did this so did not check other ingredients). Just a suggestion!

All the recipes sound delish!! NanSea, the butter chicken sounds good but what on earth is fenugreek powder??

Feeling very headach-y today and not sure why -- I figured I was way past this stage. Our weather here has been nuts, changing from cold to warm every other day so not sure if that has anything to do with it. But it SUCKS. 

Talk to you all later!

Kelli

Can't figure out how to quote just a part of a comment. Anyway, good suggestion Kelli, about searching the forum for comments about Panera. Apparently Panera had a "hidden menu" in 2013 and 2014 that people were referencing with  couple of good salad options, but the menu must be changed now because the link is no longer working and the items they talked about don't appear on their menu. I did a google search as well and found the same thing. So I did a review of their menu and they give pretty good list of ingredients. Apparently all I can eat there is the classic salad w/o dressing. I will bring my own tuna and olive oil.  Not appetizing, but at day 7 we are a quarter done so I don't want to give up. 

23 minutes ago, sjennings said:

Does anybody have any tips on boredom eating?  I have been sticking with compliant foods but I can't seem to get over eating/snacking when I'm bored. I know it's not because I'm hungry, any advice would be helpful! 

I would like to see the suggestions too! I experience this as well - especially the period of time between the end of the work day and dinner. I always want to start snacking as soon as I get home. So - I'm with ya!

I am so busy once I get home I have no time. Between, my husband and I we walk the dog, start dinner, and laundry. I recommend making yourself busy with something.... Anything. For me boredom hits around 2. Yes, I know I shouldn't be bored at work but.... Hey, it's a thing. I make myself go for a 15 minute walk. I would love to see what others recommend for mindless eating. I'm so bad at it. I'm just happy I've been compliant. I'm concerned I may be eating too much.

3 hours ago, samnkelli said:

Hang in there everyone -- those that are on Day 10 and those that are close behind!  Day 10 and 11 are the hardest days, according to the Whole 30 timeline:

This is where you really start to experience the psychological hold that your food habits have on you. You’ve put in a lot of effort to get to where you are right now, but you’re still waiting for the results you’re hoping to see. Your  brain tells you that you deserve some kind of reward (don’t you?) and, of course, we’ve been conditioned to think of food as the best reward out there. Right now, you’re craving that ice cream, beer, or whatever treat you think would make for just the right reward. But, instead of that treat, you’re standing face to face with the realization that you have 20 more days of deprivation ahead of you.

The key here is to redefine your idea of reward.  Think long and hard about the foods you’re grieving and ask yourself what need you’re expecting them to fulfill.  Are you feeling anxious and looking for reassurance?  Are you feeling sad, and looking for something to cheer you up? Are you worried you won’t successfully finish the program, and it’s easier to self-sabotage than fail? Remind yourself that food cannot fill that void for you—cannot make you feel truly accomplished, comforted, calm, happy, beautiful. Then, find another way to fill that need that does not involve those foods. Prepare yourselves for these days, knowing that all you have to do is see them through to the other side before things get much, much easier.

Don't quit...tiger blood is (hopefully) right around the corner!  If you have already fallen off the wagon but are still reading this board, I hope you try again!!

Mom2210s, search this forum for comments about compliant options at Panera. Or if the options are so limited at Panera, can you bring your own complaint dinner with you?  I know I've gotten their cobb salad before and used my own dressing and omitted the bacon (was not on W30 when I did this so did not check other ingredients). Just a suggestion!

All the recipes sound delish!! NanSea, the butter chicken sounds good but what on earth is fenugreek powder??

Feeling very headach-y today and not sure why -- I figured I was way past this stage. Our weather here has been nuts, changing from cold to warm every other day so not sure if that has anything to do with it. But it SUCKS. 

Talk to you all later!

Kelli

Lol!! Kelli I had no clue either honestly!! I took a trip to Bulk Barn and found everything. The fenugreek is supposed to be a powder but all I could find were the seeds. I had no clue how to make the powder (I have limited seed grinding tools ) but read I needed to toast them until they were hot. When they cooled I put them in my pepper mill and ground them up! They weren't powder but I figured it was better than nothing!! Still turned out great!

Speaking of weather changing, yesterday it was -28degrees Celsius and it is supposed to rise to +5degrees Celsius tomorrow! I've always questioned if these fluctuations could be causing my continuous head aches.  

:) had potato, broccoli and pork with blueberries on top for supper! Mmmmm mmm good 

I've been trying to combat boredom eating/grazing/aimless snacking too! My worst time frame is is around 8-9pm when I'm watching tv. It's no wonder I've always grazed so much during this time, every commercial is FOOD! Since I can't have gum to keep my mouth busy, I've started a distraction routine to do during this time. I floss my teeth, then I use crest white strips, then I drink a cup of magnesium "tea". I've thought off adding wearing my old retainer as another option, or working on a lanyard or knitting project or something to busy my hands and keep me in place. Looking forward to hearing what others are doing to get through these moments.

7 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

I've been trying to combat boredom eating/grazing/aimless snacking too! My worst time frame is is around 8-9pm when I'm watching tv. It's no wonder I've always grazed so much during this time, every commercial is FOOD! Since I can't have gum to keep my mouth busy, I've started a distraction routine to do during this time. I floss my teeth, then I use crest white strips, then I drink a cup of magnesium "tea". I've thought off adding wearing my old retainer as another option, or working on a lanyard or knitting project or something to busy my hands and keep me in place. Looking forward to hearing what others are doing to get through these moments.

I've developed the habit of snacking at this time too....kids are in bed, it's quiet, I veg-out in front of the TV....and wanna snack.   Two things that work for me...if my hands are busy- like you said- I don't even think about snacking.  I fold clothes, sort papers, make weaver-loom pot holders (really...just like when I was 14- hey, it keeps me busy!...I should probably learn to knit!).   Or...don't turn on the TV.  I don't have to same snacking habit if I'm reading a book.    I feel your pain :-)

Anyone with a snack habit - try to find a new habit that will occupy your mind AND your hands - you're much less likely to snack if it means cleaning your hands to continue with knitting/crafting/quilting/colouring etc...

For those suffering from cravings - increase your fat!! Nothing else will help!!

Just finished lunch which was leftovers from last night. Curious about my breakfast... Scrambled eggs with a smoothie. 1 banana, homemade almond milk, almond butter, spinach and cinnamon. Is that bad? I just really needed a refreshing breakfast. 

58 minutes ago, NanSea said:

Scrambled eggs with a smoothie. 1 banana, homemade almond milk, almond butter, spinach and cinnamon. Is that bad?

Great that you had the protein, but the smoothie - not so much...

Here's the official take on smoothies:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Last night, hus said dinner tasted really fresh. He loved it!!

Sweet potato disks lightly coated with coconut oil, compliant sausage, avocado, cucumber.  He added poached eggs and hot sauce. All those flavors in your mouth just work really well!!!

Day 7: I am SOOOOO tired all the time, so I feel like I don't have the energy to cook the meals that are in the cookbook. I am in grad school getting ready to take my MASSIVE exam to graduate/get licensed and I am struggling to study because I'm exhausted. Is this one of those big life events they suggest you finish before starting the whole 30...?  I also feel like nothing else in my body has changed and my cravings are almost unbearable. I just want a stupid bagel or a cupcake!! Needless to say I'm a little irritable right now...

6 minutes ago, mschmuki said:

Day 7: I am SOOOOO tired all the time, so I feel like I don't have the energy to cook the meals that are in the cookbook. I am in grad school getting ready to take my MASSIVE exam to graduate/get licensed and I am struggling to study because I'm exhausted. Is this one of those big life events they suggest you finish before starting the whole 30...?  I also feel like nothing else in my body has changed and my cravings are almost unbearable. I just want a stupid bagel or a cupcake!! Needless to say I'm a little irritable right now...

Fat, water & salt. Fat will provide energy & clear any brain fog, but will also reduce cravings. Salt & water will help with energy & brain fog too. Make sure you are salting all of your food, and getting the recommended half an ounce of water per pound of body weight daily...

This too shall pass!

51 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Great that you had the protein, but the smoothie - not so much...

Here's the official take on smoothies:

Smoothies: We’d rather you didn’t

This is a very popular question, with a very unpopular answer. Smoothies (generally made using lots of fruit) are technically compliant on your Whole30, but we strongly recommend against it. Food that you drink sends different satiety signals to your brain than food that you chew. So when you drink your meal, your brain isn’t getting the feedback it needs to tell your body that it’s had enough of what it needs. Plus, smoothies are generally really fruit-heavy, and starting your day off with a liquid sugar-bomb sets you up for cravings, hunger, and volatile energy levels throughout the day. In summary, we’d rather you just eat the food, and skip the smoothie.

Thanks. I really didn't think it would be the best option. I will avoid from here out!

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, mschmuki said:

Day 7: I am SOOOOO tired all the time, so I feel like I don't have the energy to cook the meals that are in the cookbook.

@jmcbn gave you good advice above about what to eat, but for the cooking -- you don't have to make the meals in the cookbook.

Sometime when you have time, hard boil a dozen eggs -- you can even do this in the oven, just google hard boiled eggs in oven for instructions. Bake or grill a bunch of chicken and/or burger patties -- keep the seasonings pretty simple, like salt, pepper, maybe garlic powder or onion powder. Or cook a whole chicken or a roast in the oven or crockpot. Chop a bunch of vegetables so you can just grab them and throw them in a pan to saute or roast easily, or make a big pot of vegetable soup. Bake several potatoes or sweet potatoes at once. Make some mayo or ranch dressing, keep olives, avocadoes, or compliant premade guacamole on hand for fats. When it's time to eat, you've got food in the fridge or pantry, just grab a mix of protein, fat, and vegetables. It's not fancy, but it's compliant, and it's food.

Even if you really can't set aside a day to cook a bunch at once, every time you do cook, cook extra. If your budget allows, pre-chopped fresh vegetables can be a time saver. Frozen vegetables are good to keep on hand for a quick meal, just remember to avoid ones with added sauces, or mixes that include peas or corn or other off-plan ingredients. I also like to keep frozen chicken and burger patties on hand -- it's easy to pull a couple of pieces of chicken or a burger patty or two out and cook them from frozen if I don't have anything else around.

Busy place around here with lots of wonderful information.  I have to say making sure I'm getting my fats & protein in.....plus adding in more carbs - I have been completely free of cravings.  I am totally amazed!  I am having fruit (mainly berries and apples) twice a day but have to say I am totally satisfied....feeling good but really trying to listen to my body.  I'm lucky in that my children are out on their own so my schedule is very flexible for my husband and myself. (Last night I was very, very tired too...so I was in bed at 7:30!)  I know this won't last a long time and as long as I can listen and do what I need to do - I will.  I do get up at 3:40AM so I do have an early bedtime anyway.

Michelle - I completely understand about the being busy - and no time to prep and think of PIZZA but this forum and my daily emails are holding me accountable and THAT has made a world of difference for me this time.  Last night I fixed a big pot of chili...I added shredded carrots when I sautéed the onions and garlic...then lots of diced tomatoes..beef broth and a little tomato juice plus the spices that were all listed in the cookbook.  Once that started simmering I added in some roasted spaghetti squash I had already cooked.  Oh and I added some sliced black olives.  Amazing how it sort of gives the same mouth feel as beans!  Anyway, hubby loved it and we have enough for two more serving each...so future meals already prepped!

Kelsey - thanks for the tip on draining the salmon...I'm making those tonight.

Oakley - if you still are here - I will be doing the March whole 30 too...so hope to see you there!

I am very happy to know tomorrow we are 1/3 through this month and hope days 10 & 11 don't get too difficult.  We are doing well and each should be very proud of our accomplishments.  Every one of us has different challenges but supporting each other - WE CAN DO THIS!

On 1/28/2017 at 8:41 AM, MeadowLily said:

I've been doing this mostly alone for almost 3 years.  Here's the best part about that.  We don't have to pull anyone else along with us. I've not had any family members join me either. 

Other peoples motivation waxes and wanes. Some fly over the chicken coop within days. If you want it, you will build it one meal at a time.  You want it, they may not.  That can be a letdown.

The forum is strong medicine. It will make you stronger, one day and one meal at a time. Even if you're out-standing in the field, all by yourself. Enjoy every day of your Whole 30 here together.

I wonder if you have done this non stop for 3 years?  If so I am impressed!  I am now on day 10 and my husband is enjoying the meals tremendously.  Both of us feel like we have lost weight or at least are reshaping.  He does have his cocktails every evening and a beer at lunch, we are retired and camping right now.  I have my  kombucha at cocktail hour which helps.  Not hungry at all we eat 3 solid meals and find them delicious.  And yes this forum helps!

Archived