FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Marjet said:

Meadowlily , no worries all she had was a tiny piece of apple chicken Sausage !  Thanks for the tip though

Good, because I want to kiss your dog. She is adorable. 

If chocolate chip cookie dough can kill a german shepherd, how good is it for humans. I knew a goldendoodle who died because the humans left chocolate kisses on the table.  They found the dog with wrappers all over the floor.  A goner.  :(

Grapes can kill a dog. They cannot digest grapeskins and potato peelings.

Joining this group a little late in the game but i started on Feb. 1st and this is my first time doing Whole30. So far I am feeling pretty good and really liking the change I am making. 

Great to meet you all and be on the same journey! 

We can do this:D

I am on day 10 and NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

I'm still exhausted, I've lost no weight, the intensity of my cravings has not dissipate  and my face still looks dull with circles under my eyes. The only difference is I'm peeing all the time because I've up my water intake to 80oz a day. 

what is the point???!?!?!

Can you give us a run down of a few days worth of your food intake @mschmuki?

Bear in mind that this is 30 day program, and you're only a third of the way through. Also, this is not a weight loss plan. Weight loss can be a side effect of switching to whole foods, but this is not always the case. The fact that you're still exhausted & are suffering from cravings would lead me to believe that the composition of your meals needs some tweaking...

Whew!  Finally feeling better today.  I have been sick since Tuesday with some kind of stomach bug that was not fun.  I was so tired - still am more tired than usual.  I was blaming the tired and headache on Whole 30 at first but then when the chills, body aches and vomiting arrived, I knew it was something else.  lol    Anyway, as my appetite began to return, I was craving comfort foods like bread and pasta.  I am proud to say that I fought it off.  At one point, I boiled some small red potatoes, put EVOO, salt & pepper on them and it got me past the craving.  I just made myself a wonderful chicken soup with Pacific brand bone broth, chicken and a variety of vegetables.  Hopefully, tomorrow, I will have some strength back.  Has anyone else gone through a flu type illness on your Whole 30?

#FeelingBetter

33 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Can you give us a run down of a few days worth of your food intake @mschmuki?

Bear in mind that this is 30 day program, and you're only a third of the way through. Also, this is not a weight loss plan. Weight loss can be a side effect of switching to whole foods, but this is not always the case. The fact that you're still exhausted & are suffering from cravings would lead me to believe that the composition of your meals needs some tweaking...

I have a cup of coffee with nutpods "creamer" every morning. For breakfast I have two eggs OR a full egg scramble with peppers, paleo bacon, mushrooms and onion. 

For lunch I have been having spaghetti squash, chicken and romesco sauce; sweet potato soup and tuna (although I had been eating non-compliant tuna for a few days without knowing it); and one day I made oven-baked salmon and put the citrus glaze on it.

for dinner its leftovers of the same stuff. I also made grasped burgers with portebello buns and lettuce and tomato and compliant mayo

plus lots of water

I know it wasn't guaranteed I would lose weight, but I had a terrible diet beforehand so it would be very unlikely that I don't lose some. I know I might not see the results right away, but combined with everything else that HASN'T changed, it is pretty frustrating. That being said, thank you for taking the time to ask :)

Fat. You're lacking fat.

I'd add some other kind of fat at meal one - the creamer doesn't amount to much - and the only other metion of fat you make is mayo or bacon. You need fat at every meal over and above what you're using for cooking. Fat will provide energy, and brain power, and will quash any cravings. It's also vital for transporting the fat soluble vitamins around the body.

Fat is your friend.

Fat is so critical. But, I strongly recommend NO MORE SCALE.  It's so hard but try to stay at from the scale. That's one of her rules to this game.  

I think you'll start to feel better once you add fat to each meal. Here is my example day (for what it's worth)

1Tblsp coconut oil, about a cup of broccoli, three eggs scrambled together

Leftover protein from last night, lots of baby lake, tomato, cucumber, half avocado, balsamic, olive oil

Tandoori chicken (marinated over night in coconut milk and spices), pineapple cauliflower rice (recipe ha has 3 Tblsp coconut oil)

My snack is usually a banana or Apple with a few tablespoons of cashew butter.

I honestly feel really good but have not looked at the scale. Admittedly, my reasons for doing this program were part weight loss, part improving my symptoms from trigeminal neuralgia. 

I hope you stay with us!!! Hang in there

6 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Fat. You're lacking fat.

I'd add some other kind of fat at meal one - the creamer doesn't amount to much - and the only other metion of fat you make is mayo or bacon. You need fat at every meal over and above what you're using for cooking. Fat will provide energy, and brain power, and will quash any cravings. It's also vital for transporting the fat soluble vitamins around the body.

Fat is your friend.

what types of fat do you suggest in the morning? Should I just pre cook bacon and have that on hand when I just have time to make eggs and run out the door?

2 hours ago, mschmuki said:

what types of fat do you suggest in the morning? Should I just pre cook bacon and have that on hand when I just have time to make eggs and run out the door?

I always have three basic fats on my counter olive oil, avocado oil, and coconut oil.  I add fat to every meal.  It really does not matter what fat you have for breakfast.  If you are frying an egg then fry it in any of the basic fats and then when you take it out of the pan let the extra fat drip onto the egg from the pan.  I have found that fat is my friend not my enemy.  

If you are having hard boiled egg dipping it in homemade mayo or guacamole is a great option for a quick grab and go but don't forget your vegetables also.  I hope this helps

Finishing up Day 12.  Been doing pretty good.  Went out to pizza with my nephews and husband.  Drank water and conversed while they ate and it did not even bother me.  I wanted to be there to visit not to eat.  Came home and made me an egg and veggie mix for dinner.  I am totally full.  I am so excited Day 12 means 40% through 30 days.  Yesterday I was foggy and groggy but remembered the hints on adding the yam so that is what I did for lunch and I felt 100 times better really quick.  I love yams and eat them all the time.  I just like putting them in the microwave and if my meal needs more fat I will put coconut oil on them.  Yum Yum.  

10 hours ago, mschmuki said:

What fats do you like? Personally I like avocado or mayo with eggs, but then I don't always have eggs for breakfast... You've got coconut oil/milk/flesh/butter... Nut & seed oils.... avocado oil, olives & olive oil, rendered animal fats, ghee/clarified butter, fatty cuts of meat such as chicken wings with the skins on, brisket or ribs..... mayo based sauces, or oil based dressings... Lots of options :)

Today is going to be a hard day. I was up half the night with OH who had a terrible fever. I'd call in sick if I hadn't had last Monday off ill :( Thank goodness I did a very mini cookup yesterday afternoon and there's now brisket, baked potatoes, cauliflower rice,  mayo and guac in the fridge ready to go. Hope your Monday's all go better than mine! 

16 hours ago, mschmuki said:

I am on day 10 and NOTHING HAS CHANGED!

I'm still exhausted, I've lost no weight, the intensity of my cravings has not dissipate  and my face still looks dull with circles under my eyes. The only difference is I'm peeing all the time because I've up my water intake to 80oz a day. 

what is the point???!?!?!

Although nobody's supposed to step on a scale....I have read stories of people not losing anything until the last bit of the 30 days, and then it's a fair bit seemingly at once.   Hang in there!!   

This Whole30 is killing me physically. I feel like I am more tired now, on Day 15, then I have been on the entire program and before. I am literally falling asleep at my desk and I got 8 hours of sleep last night! I am fighting hard not to cave in and get a caffeinated beverage but it's so hard when I'm so tired and I'm still expected to teach a bunch of 11 year olds. Haha.

PLEASE does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I really don't want to cave and get the caffeinated beverage but I don't know that I can keep on being so tired. Thanks! 

Wow - Day 13....WE are all doing GREAT!  I had a busy weekend but very productive.  Got up Saturday and had all this amazing energy!  Zumba class - grocery shopping...hit the library for It start with food but had to be put on a list to wait!  Got lots of steps both Saturday and Sunday and planned out some activity for this week.  I'm making sure I'm getting at least 7hrs sleep and eating pretty well on everything I should.  It is hard for me to be used to adding the starchy items - but definitely know it is making a difference when I do.  Michelle - I'd say try writing out your meals for a couple of days and have one of the moderators look it over.  I'm thinking you may be shy on your fats and/or starchy veggies/fruits?  I know it takes a while for our bodies to make that conversion on fueling our bodies...but it is so worth it once that happens!  I've been pretty consistently Paleo for 4-1/2 years and just in this process realized how much better I feel adding in those potatoes - plantains, etc.  Had fried plantains with my breakfast yesterday - oh so good.  When they are green take on more a potato taste and as they ripen into the yellow and black - sweeter / more like banana sweet.

I don't feel much lighter yet as far as weight but my attitude - my energy is definitely improved.  Now waiting for my sleep to really kick in a bit more solid.  I have to say we (hubby and I) are really enjoying the recipes in the Whole 30 book.  I too make brisket yesterday and followed the receipe - it was so tender and that sauce was wonderful! 

Someone asked about sausage....I purchase fresh ground pork from the meat counter....and add my own seasonings....salt and pepper for sure and you can add sage; onion powder - garlic powder - cayenne it you want a bit of a kick.  I have compliant bacon fat that I cook it in......really really good.  I also like to cook up thin boneless pork chops or pork cutlets and you can put either in wax paper and warm up in the microwave for a few seconds for quick egg free breakfasts too!  Roasted butternut squash with some coconut oil and cinnamon is really good on a cold morning too.  I'm staying nut free for this 30 days and then gradually going to test them out as I've had some issues with nuts but toasted walnuts or pecans would be wonderful on that squash too.  I'm cooking a lot but wow do I feel lucky to be able to have such healthy meals:)  OK - lunch break about over.....have a blessed day.

Hello February-starters:

Like 4Donna, I am not feeling that much lighter yet, either, but definitely more graceful and less clunky in my body (exercise is my friend, too, learning to be consistent). Thanks 4Donna for the tip about seasoning pork sausage - that sounds awesome. I love Melissa Jouwan's Bora Bora Fireballs, have you tried that?

I wish I had dialed in to this group from the get go! I started on Feb. 1 and just started over on Feb. 10 because I had racked up a trio of small transgressions, i.e.. broth that had honey in it (I blew it off somewhat guiltily), Trident gum, whoops (same), and then realized the coconut milk I was using had sulfites. D'oh! So...I started over. I appreciate the program guidelines and abundance of information here SO much. I'm finding it empowering and life-affirming. So I'm practicing patience with myself and recognize that it's part of my process, I'm learning. Besides a few bouts of diarrhea, it's going well. 

NSV: I can see a reduction of inflammation as my rosacea is way calmer, even when I do vigorous exercise; my performance at the gym is improving; I've successfully gone out to restaurants and found compliant meals without distress; I feel better and I have re-newed hope for my future.

Question: I've noticed that the color or my urine is less bright yellow after I take my vitamins, and I am guessing that's a sign of better overall nutrient absorption in my system? Does that sound reasonable? I couldn't find any threads about that specific observation...anyone else?

It's nice to have compatriots here - we can do this!

Michelle H,

I sympathize with your situation! I know that a moderator will advise you well...if it were me, I would look at what I'm eating and adjust...is there a macronutrient that you need to increase? Are you under-eating? What you're describing happened to me once, and I realized that my activity levels had been higher than normal, and I should have eaten again before I felt like I would pass out. When I did eat again, I had to force myself to stop eating when I had eaten enough, because I knew it would take my brain a while to register that I was full (I got too hungry), but after a time I felt myself perk up like a thirsty plant that finally got its water. That was a good learning experience for me.

Remember that caffeine is a stimulant, giving us an illusion of energy, when the energy comes from food, and a balance of food/activity. Please don't pass out on your desk! Don't be discouraged...you can figure it out, and feel better. 

1 hour ago, Michelle H said:

This Whole30 is killing me physically. I feel like I am more tired now, on Day 15, then I have been on the entire program and before. I am literally falling asleep at my desk and I got 8 hours of sleep last night! I am fighting hard not to cave in and get a caffeinated beverage but it's so hard when I'm so tired and I'm still expected to teach a bunch of 11 year olds. Haha.

PLEASE does anyone have any tips or suggestions? I really don't want to cave and get the caffeinated beverage but I don't know that I can keep on being so tired. Thanks! 

Lack of energy can usually be attributed to a couple of things - lack of fat, lack of water, lack of salt, lack of food in general, or some combination of the above.

If you'd like to list out a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity levels we can take a look and see if we can't suggest some tweaks....

38 minutes ago, LadyLisbette said:

Question: I've noticed that the color or my urine is less bright yellow after I take my vitamins, and I am guessing that's a sign of better overall nutrient absorption in my system? Does that sound reasonable? I couldn't find any threads about that specific observation...anyone else?

This is a sign that you're better hydrated :) Just out of interest, what vitamins are you taking?

Marjet, I looked at the list of foods that dogs should not eat and interestingly enough most of those foods are on the FODMAP - Avoid list for humans.

There's a connection there for digestive issues, dogs and humans. FODMAP peoples should not be eating chocolate chip cookies or any kind of dough either. :D 

Hi All,

I actually started my whole30 on January 30th my last day would be the 28th of February so I'm on day 15 but this group is really active so I hope it's okay that I'm jumping in on this thread. : )  I went into this past weekend feeling really good. I felt like I had gotten over the hump. Headaches are gone, aches and pains from an old injury are almost non-existent and I know we're not suppose to but I pulled out the scale just to take a peek and unlike some of the other people I have dropped 10lbs so far. Which I know is more of a byproduct of this program then the reason to do it but it gave me such a positive jump start to my weekend. Which I definitely needed as I was watching my parents dogs and their house was temptation city. Yummy yummy but so not whole30 snacks candy and the coffee frozen yogurt my mom keeps in the fridge for me when I visit. It was hard but I made it out the other side my mom was also kind enough to stock whole30 compliant food and I brought all my meals for the weekend in snapware containers. Then I get to work this morning and one of my staff tells me she is submitting her resignation and I just want to cry. We're going to be heading into our annual Audit within the next month and a half and trying to replace and train someone new is going to be a nightmare. The first thought in my head after she left my office was dear god I would kill for a chocolate bar or just a really thick piece of sourdough bread slathered in garlic butter.... I am defiantly  an emotional eater so this came at the worst time ... I am trying to be Zen about it but any good tips that people can share with me to try and solider on would be great? Thanks!

Hey everyone. Day 15 - and the halfway point feels so good!! 

Sorry to hear a couple of you have dropped off. A few people are discouraged too--- I hate to hear that but glad you came here for support and to hopefully find some motivation!  There are so many reasons to see this through and not everyone's experience will be the same but don't give up! They say your body will do more healing from the inside out before you start to notice, so be patient! 

I will admit that the prep and cleaning dishes all the time is getting annoying :( . But the food has been soooooo good. Made the Better Butter chicken and loved it. Really rich.

Anyone have any fun Valentine's Day plans? :wub:

37 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Lack of energy can usually be attributed to a couple of things - lack of fat, lack of water, lack of salt, lack of food in general, or some combination of the above.

If you'd like to list out a few days worth of your food/liquid intake along with activity levels we can take a look and see if we can't suggest some tweaks....

This is a sign that you're better hydrated :) Just out of interest, what vitamins are you taking?

Archived