FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Hi, all,

I started Feb. 1, but first time I'm logging in here. First two weeks were great, I was actually having fun cooking and figuring out what to eat and enjoying eating POTATOS!!!

Third week I was craving the no-nos and getting sick of cooking. I did notice some intestinal uh, differences from the start. Softer poop and occasional cramps. 

Best benefits I see from doing this:
Discovering coconut products: butter, milk, cream
Finding more ways to eat veggies

One thing I'm afraid of when I get beyond reintroduction: going back to my wine-in-the-evening snacking ways. I love wine, cheese and crackers, and tortilla chips.

I know I need to figure substitute behaviors for the old ways.

Good luck on our last six days!!! We can celebrate 3/3!!!!

Margaret

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI All!

I have lurked here, but never posted until now. Thanks to all for such wonderful advice! I started my first Whole30 on January 31st, and dragged my husband along for the ride. I spent about 10 days reading, shopping, and mentally preparing before embarking on this journey.

Today is day 25! My husband is wearing pants he hasn't fit into for a year. (Men drop weight & inches at a much quicker speed than women.) My belts are one notch tighter, & my pants a bit looser. Two different people have commented that my face looks thinner. (NSV)

We were both very fortunate that we have not suffered headaches, or other such side effects. My husband complained he was always hungry, but I told him to eat more protein at meals, not to skip meals, & to keep nuts, natural dried fruit & a couple of RXbars in his desk for when he gets trapped on a call or in a meeting. He no longer complains! I noticed a bit of low energy in the first week, and a continued difficulty sleeping, though every few days I now get a GOOD night's sleep. I work out regularly, but had to cut back in the beginning. I have IBS, and was hoping to see improvement there. I went through a period of a very rumbly gut, but that has mostly subsided. I have never reached Tiger Blood, but overall I feel good. Mostly, we are proud of our accomplishments so far, and remain committed to embracing a healthier diet for life. (The hardest part is slaying the sugar dragon which is probably a lifelong battle.) We are parents to 2 young women (22 & 19) and are trying to set a good example for them. 

Hello :-) 

Can't believe we've come so far. I'm not really craving anything at the moment but I know that there will a time in my life when I have something not on the whole 30 list. Everything I want seems to be food together and I don't want to eat it separately - - like cake! 

I'm still not sleeping very well by perhaps that is just me.

I've been walking quite a bit and doing a bit of swimming but really want to up my game and even go to the gym - when I'm brave enough! 

Happy eating everyone :-) 

P.s where are we gonna post next? 

Hedgehog, I'm also thinking about where we go next on our forum, I'm quite attached here! W60ers?

For three nights I've been eating yams at dinner and sleeping better! Aaahhhh sleep. It's an unlearning of old info about carbs turning to fat at night--so glad I let that go. I've learned so much lately!!!

Glad to hear everyone is feeling positive now we're on the home straight. I've got 8 days left but can almost taste the glass of wine I'm going to have at the end. Went for the meal tonight and it wasn't quite to plan but meh, good enough. Had chicken wings to start. They were definately deep fried, may have had some kind of grain based coating and I think they had sugar on them. Honestly it was like eating a chicken donut! I felt very sorry for myself when my steak and salad came out and started making plans for a meal when I got home, totally convinced it wouldn't fill me, but actually it was very good and I was quite happy to turn down dessert for a cup of chai  tea. We've just got back to the house and I've made myself a mini meal of 3 strawberries, 8 grapes and a handful of cashews. I realise that I've technically screwed up with the chicken wings but I'm not starting over, I'll be sure to have 8 more fully compliant days before reintros and call it good enough. At the end of the day, I didn't fail due to cravings or because I chose to go off plan and I'm still pretty proud of how i did. 

In other news, i made some tuna salad to have this afternoon with home made mayo. My mum (who doesn't have fat in anything) tried some and told me it was really greasy. She was quite shocked at how much oil went into it, whereas I can't believe how much sweetener and snacks she has as in her healthy eating plan. Different things work for different folks though, and this definately works for me! 

I had a mishap today. Made some tea, which I've done a number of these Whole 30 days. Grabbed a different flavored teabag that I hadn't had for awhile...Celestial Seasonings Country Peach Passion. Took one sip and remember to look at the ingredients.  Argh....the dreaded soy lecithin. Dumped the rest of the cup out. Too late to spit out what I took. My helpful husband suggested I drink some hydrogen peroxide to vomit it all up, like we did for the dog when she ate chocolate. LOL.

Now I understand why people clean out their cupboards of all non-whole 30 compliant food. :rolleyes: It's Day 25 and I am not restarting over one sip of tea.

On the UP side...I made my own clarified butter this evening(that was interesting) as well as sweet potato soup (recipe from the Whole 30 book).  Yummy. I drool over the recipes. I have not had time yet to make half of these marvelous looking recipes, but I've made a number and have truly enjoyed everything. Everything tastes so delicious. 

Some of my NSVs: I've had good energy throughout and my thinking is clearer. I've had very few headaches which were light but fairly regular before.  My pants are looser. My skin is softer. I've been more positive. I've learned to eat slower and savor my food. I've learned to not snack between meals or after dinner, which is amazing for me. Woo Hoo! Grateful for this journey and for the sharing on this forum.

So today is day 28 for us, we started on January 30.  We just came home from a 3 week vacation...yes we were compliant the whole time.  It was not always easy as we met several friends, camping or clamping and having meals together kind of changed.  We have a coach so I was able to cook and make delicious meals from the whole 30 Facebook recipes.  Really delicious.  Sleeping has still been somewhat of an issue for me as well.  Now that we are back home, we have two cats who missed us and are totally in my face especially at night.  It is 8.43 am now and they finally are sleeping.  So Hedgehog I understand your cat pain...

My biggest NSV is that my sugars have dropped huge numbers.  Diabetic type II, I took victoza (stopped 3 weeks ago) and Januvet 2x day.  My number used to by in the high 160-180's. and now regularly register 101-120.  A few days ago I walked a mile and when I came home tested and dropped to 83.  Last night I was 94.  So now I am stopping the evening pill and this morning it was 121.  I will continue this experiment!

Our weigh day is Wednesday, I cannot wait.  But it does not seem to be as much of a priority as before.  My husband has definitely lost a size, my clothes fit better for sure, but my sugar victory is huge!

Please lets keep this blog going, it really helps me too.  And btw I do love the #whole30 recipes on Facebook, they are amazing.  The variety is what we love.  Thank you all for your support!

Day 26! Big NSV for me last night: no beers at band practice! Guys are drinking the finest craft beers, and I'm drinking ginger tea.... It was challenging, but I also played better. My drumming was tighter, I could anticipate other members' directions, and I didn't get as tired. I went to bed happy and worn out after a handful of cashew nuts. Happy Sunday, all. Here's a photo of breakfast: sautéed spinach and bell pepper, fried eggs, and an avocado. Oh thank God for giving me an unwavering affection for eggs.

I'm all for keeping the love- and this forum- alive!  Right now I'm targeting mid-April through mid-May for another Whole30+, if that timing works for anyone I'd love your company again.    

This morning I was excited (?!) to finally have a chance to go get more veggies.  Especially spinach...which I've gotten used to having regularly.  Hadn't had time for a run to the store until today.  Excited to buy spinach !?!...I hardly recognize myself!  

NSV report:  I've had the worst break-outs for the past six to eight months, and could not nail down a cause.  And it's sooo much better now.  (I've had acne all my life in varying degrees...and this is the most improvement I've seen in a while!...hooray!)

5 hours ago, English teacher Kate said:

Day 26! Big NSV for me last night: no beers at band practice! Guys are drinking the finest craft beers, and I'm drinking ginger tea.... It was challenging, but I also played better. My drumming was tighter, I could anticipate other members' directions, and I didn't get as tired. I went to bed happy and worn out after a handful of cashew nuts. Happy Sunday, all. Here's a photo of breakfast: sautéed spinach and bell pepper, fried eggs, and an avocado. Oh thank God for giving me an unwavering affection for eggs.

I do miss me some yummy craft beers.   I'm trying to formulate a post-Whole30 plan to enjoy it again one day- but beer is a toughy- all that gluten.     I will be careful re-introducing it.   

On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 10:41 AM, Garts Girl said:

I think I might have found the tiger although I woke with the beginnings of a head cold. Pants are a little looser.... Around my calves for some strange reason. Oh well I'll take it. Happy Friday all!!

I had a little kitten start to emerge yesterday and it was still here this morning. It's purring but not roaring yet.  I think it shows up late in the program so we won't totally blow it upon reintroduction.  Speaking of reintroduction, there are really just a few things I miss--diet coke, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and milk. The milk and PBJ go together and I can live with just eating them occasionally. Diet Coke is a different story. I miss it more than alcohol! I know I cannot start back on any sugar (although that would rule out Diet Coke), but I mean hard core cookies and cakes and the 7-11 blueberry muffin that used to be my everyday breakfast. I just have 0 control once I start down the sugar path.

On a similar note, I ate three different compliant, but new, foods yesterday and one of them upset my stomach and I woke up with puffy eyes this morning. I ate Alive and Radiant Kale Chips-Cheezy (but no cheese in them), Hat Creek Sauerkraut and Hat Creek Pickled Okra. I'm going to research the okra more because it did have "pickling spices" but that was the only thing vague in any of the three. Has anyone tried these products and know more about them?  

The one thing I would like to have first is Oatmeal with wild blueberries and a bit of maple syrup.  Is that two things that are being introduced at once?  I have been longing for it, I like to make it overnight with cold coconut milk and let it soak.  I think about that now often.

I'm thinking when it's time to re-introduce, I'll go by the Melissa's recommendation, and begin with added sugars. The thing I miss most lately is honey. There's an Asian chicken thigh recipe I love with honey (otherwise compliant) and I'm looking forward to that, though maybe not at first because it's more than "added sugar"...I imagine I can handle it, but may need more time...we'll see! I think I'll trust myself to make a good decision when the time comes. This is a welcome sense of confidence, though in the past I was very good at deluding myself, and that is how I got in the boat I'm in...but I feel more solid now than ever. Grateful for that!

I like the food freedom I'm starting to feel, including not "having" to buy cartons and tubs of dairy type things that take up valuable real estate in my refrigerator! Coconut milk is certainly doing the trick in my coffee, but often I take it black now, first time in my life. I can taste it! I like it! I like it most with cm though.  I used to love tzatziki on my homemade gyros, that's the only dairy I miss.  I can make a mayo-based "tzatziki" and maybe share since a batch is way more than I can eat in a week.  Too bad we can't literally share stuff like that "star trek" style. "Computer, send this 1/2 jar of mayo to AmyEn". LOL.

Yay for staying on this thread, I'm in.

2 hours ago, k9zoo said:

I had a little kitten start to emerge yesterday and it was still here this morning. It's purring but not roaring yet.  I think it shows up late in the program so we won't totally blow it upon reintroduction.  Speaking of reintroduction, there are really just a few things I miss--diet coke, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and milk. The milk and PBJ go together and I can live with just eating them occasionally. Diet Coke is a different story. I miss it more than alcohol! I know I cannot start back on any sugar (although that would rule out Diet Coke), but I mean hard core cookies and cakes and the 7-11 blueberry muffin that used to be my everyday breakfast. I just have 0 control once I start down the sugar path.

On a similar note, I ate three different compliant, but new, foods yesterday and one of them upset my stomach and I woke up with puffy eyes this morning. I ate Alive and Radiant Kale Chips-Cheezy (but no cheese in them), Hat Creek Sauerkraut and Hat Creek Pickled Okra. I'm going to research the okra more because it did have "pickling spices" but that was the only thing vague in any of the three. Has anyone tried these products and know more about them?  

I am a recovering diet coke addict!  I've stopped and started a few times- but I'm definitely not going back now.  I've read way too many things about what the chemicals do to a human body....and also that it actually makes you eat more/more sugar.   But....you probably know all that.  I am certainly not judging.  I'm far from saintly with my eating and drinking habits!  And I'm also most afraid of sweet-lady sugar...it's always been my weakness.  

Really suffering from food boredom today. For the last 3 weeks I've had salad for lunch almost every day which I've constructed from salad leaves, tomatoes, beetroot, broccoli, avocado, crispy bacon pieces, cashews, cucumber and deli meat (salt beef, or cooked salmon). I buy all the stuff from the local shop on a Monday and construct it each lunchtime. Today the thought of it made me feel ill, so I went to the staff canteen and bought a jacket potato, some dry tuna and a side salad. Totally meh and unfulfilling. Having been away all weekend my kitchen is empty and I've done no food prep, so I'll have to go to the supermarket tonight and hope for inspiration. I don't think I'll have the energy to roast a chicken tonight, and I can't face pork again, so will probably end up with beef or pork mince and make burgers or sausage patties, which will give me leftovers for tomorrow, and then I guess I could do a stirfry or boodles Tuesday night for Wednesday lunch. No more salads though, that's for sure!

Urgh, I hate running out of steam so close to the finish line! I was congratulating myself on this round being so easy and not having to stress about what to cook every day, but yeah, I need some new easy recipes to get me through this week and stop me from diving headfirst into a pizza next week. I'm off to browse the site.....

Ahh! Last night I had a dream that I drank a beer and then upon realizing I had ruined my Whole 30 I started eating a bunch of junk food! I woke up feeling so guilty and disappointed, it's taking a lot of effort to convince myself that I didn't do it! Day 27 and my subconscious still trying to sabotage me!

Busy group and busy weekend.  I too love our group and all the sharing!  I spent SIX HOURS in the kitchen yesterday - prepping.  I LOVED IT!  Cleaned out two fridges and they are stocked with a ton of veggies for salads; I pan roasted two sheet trays of mixed veggies...could hardly wait to eat a bowl of them when they came out of the oven!  I made beef stew yesterday that turned out so good...with lots of leftovers.  Taco meat and had a large taco salad for lunch!  I don't even miss the cheese...that avocado is so creamy in the mix!. 

I brined chicken thighs which I'll be fixing tonight for dinner.  I also cut up 5 lbs of pork cubes from a huge pork shoulder and froze them.  Now I'm ready to fix the pork carnitas without much prep. I have my menus all planned for the week and will just allow myself one TREAT of honey on Sunday and then I'm back to my next whole 30 on Monday.  I have Dr. appointment on Friday which will include a fasting blood draw to check my blood sugars; cholesterol and thyroid levels so I will be excited to see those results - along with a check on my blood pressure.

my NSV so far is definitely more energy - and no cravings at all!  I too am still dealing with issues on sleeping soundly.  Will try more yams with my evening meals this week and see if that helps me.  I decided to try a different winding down approach to bed time this week too and see if that helps.  I think we definitely should keep posting and I know I plan to continue for at least another 30 or perhaps another 60 days.  I want to be healthy!  My treat to myself for this 30 days is I ordered IT STARTS WITH FOOD...and it will be here by the end of the week!  Looking forward to digging deeper for sure.

Hi everyone... I started my Whole 30 on January 30th so I am on Day 29.  I have had a lot of ups and downs.  I have been compliant the whole time which is great but just in the last week I feel like my sugar dragon (George) is still raging. I was at the grocery store last night and I just kept looking at the candy, I thought by now he would be tamed and very much asleep. I don't know if its the fact that my Whole 30 is ending or what but it makes me very nervous to reintroduce. Also my husband has been very supportive for most of this journey but in the last week or so he seems very irritated when I ask a server to alter a meal I ordered. Don't get me wrong I think he is very happy for me but doesn't understand the whole process that I am going through.  But it makes me anxious when we go out.  Needless to say I am still onboard. I was wondering if anyone has thought about doing the "slow roll" where you don't go through the whole reintroduction but if you find something "worth it" come across your plate you indulge?  I really like the way I am eating and I feel good (most of the time) so I can find myself eating a mostly Whole 30 existence. Ok so I am done rambling.  I hope everyone has a great last week.

Hi Shannondp16 I agree about being anxious going out to eat.  We eat at home 98% of the time.  The sugar dragon is kind of gone, although I do have the odd RX bar.   My diabetes seems to be under control also which for me is the biggest NSV, I registered 89 today.  Tomorrow is day 30 for us.  My husband joined me except for the alcohol.  He has been extremely supportive.  I know he lost more weight than I did, but my sugar count is what I am excited about.  I agree with you doing the mostly Whole 30 and just enjoying the odd non compliance here and there.  But I think I will try out the different items first so I know what will effect me most of all.  After eliminating some of my medication it makes sense.  Yeah...almost there!  Congrats!

Archived