FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

9 hours ago, treeny_bash said:

Really suffering from food boredom today. For the last 3 weeks I've had salad for lunch almost every day which I've constructed from salad leaves, tomatoes, beetroot, broccoli, avocado, crispy bacon pieces, cashews, cucumber and deli meat (salt beef, or cooked salmon). I buy all the stuff from the local shop on a Monday and construct it each lunchtime. Today the thought of it made me feel ill, so I went to the staff canteen and bought a jacket potato, some dry tuna and a side salad. Totally meh and unfulfilling. Having been away all weekend my kitchen is empty and I've done no food prep, so I'll have to go to the supermarket tonight and hope for inspiration. I don't think I'll have the energy to roast a chicken tonight, and I can't face pork again, so will probably end up with beef or pork mince and make burgers or sausage patties, which will give me leftovers for tomorrow, and then I guess I could do a stirfry or boodles Tuesday night for Wednesday lunch. No more salads though, that's for sure!

Urgh, I hate running out of steam so close to the finish line! I was congratulating myself on this round being so easy and not having to stress about what to cook every day, but yeah, I need some new easy recipes to get me through this week and stop me from diving headfirst into a pizza next week. I'm off to browse the site.....

Why not try spaghetti using noodles made out of zucchini and making sauce with turkey ground tomato paste and crushed tomatoes with mushrooms and onions and zucchini... It is delicious!  Sprinkle fresh basil on top!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A not very proud moment from my day. . . . put dish soap on my stash of medjool dates before throwing them in the garbage. Last night I thought I could eat ONE but quickly ate THREE! How sad is it that I knew I should put soap on them to make sure future me doesn't go through the trash for them!? Day 27 with so much more learning to do.

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, AmyEN said:

I am a recovering diet coke addict!  I've stopped and started a few times- but I'm definitely not going back now.  I've read way too many things about what the chemicals do to a human body....and also that it actually makes you eat more/more sugar.   But....you probably know all that.  I am certainly not judging.  I'm far from saintly with my eating and drinking habits!  And I'm also most afraid of sweet-lady sugar...it's always been my weakness.  

No judgement taken. You're right about all the negatives. And I remember when I cut it out once before that it didn't taste that great when I tried it again. I need to remember that.

6 hours ago, 4Donna said:

Busy group and busy weekend.  I too love our group and all the sharing!  I spent SIX HOURS in the kitchen yesterday - prepping.  I LOVED IT!  Cleaned out two fridges and they are stocked with a ton of veggies for salads; I pan roasted two sheet trays of mixed veggies...could hardly wait to eat a bowl of them when they came out of the oven!  I made beef stew yesterday that turned out so good...with lots of leftovers.  Taco meat and had a large taco salad for lunch!  I don't even miss the cheese...that avocado is so creamy in the mix!. 

I brined chicken thighs which I'll be fixing tonight for dinner.  I also cut up 5 lbs of pork cubes from a huge pork shoulder and froze them.  Now I'm ready to fix the pork carnitas without much prep. I have my menus all planned for the week and will just allow myself one TREAT of honey on Sunday and then I'm back to my next whole 30 on Monday.  I have Dr. appointment on Friday which will include a fasting blood draw to check my blood sugars; cholesterol and thyroid levels so I will be excited to see those results - along with a check on my blood pressure.

my NSV so far is definitely more energy - and no cravings at all!  I too am still dealing with issues on sleeping soundly.  Will try more yams with my evening meals this week and see if that helps me.  I decided to try a different winding down approach to bed time this week too and see if that helps.  I think we definitely should keep posting and I know I plan to continue for at least another 30 or perhaps another 60 days.  I want to be healthy!  My treat to myself for this 30 days is I ordered IT STARTS WITH FOOD...and it will be here by the end of the week!  Looking forward to digging deeper for sure.

I spent four hours in the kitchen yesterday and hated it. I've been getting by on salads, grilled meats and baked potatoes. But, thanks for mentioning taco salad. I don't know why I've never thought of that. I made the chili yesterday and it's very good. I may start the reintro by throwing some beans in there. I also ordered ISWF. I need to focus on finding ways for this way of eating to be more natural and less of a countdown.

4 hours ago, Shannondp16 said:

Hi everyone... I started my Whole 30 on January 30th so I am on Day 29.  I have had a lot of ups and downs.  I have been compliant the whole time which is great but just in the last week I feel like my sugar dragon (George) is still raging. I was at the grocery store last night and I just kept looking at the candy, I thought by now he would be tamed and very much asleep. I don't know if its the fact that my Whole 30 is ending or what but it makes me very nervous to reintroduce. Also my husband has been very Isupportive for most of this journey but in the last week or so he seems very irritated when I ask a server to alter a meal I ordered. Don't get me wrong I think he is very happy for me but doesn't understand the whole process that I am going through.  But it makes me anxious when we go out.  Needless to say I am still onboard. I was wondering if anyone has thought about doing the "slow roll" where you don't go through the whole reintroduction but if you find something "worth it" come across your plate you indulge?  I really like the way I am eating and I feel good (most of the time) so I can find myself eating a mostly Whole 30 existence. Ok so I am done rambling.  I hope everyone has a great last week.

I'm going to mostly slow roll it. I want to test out a few items in the beginning to see if they impact me.

I have a silly question--does coconut milk taste like dry coconut?  I hate coconut and have been reluctant to try anything with "coconut" in the name.

1 hour ago, k9zoo said:

No judgement taken. You're right about all the negatives. And I remember when I cut it out once before that it didn't taste that great when I tried it again. I need to remember that.

Totally!  And I've been through that a few times!... It tastes so weird and flavorless and artificial after not having it for a while.  That tells you something.  I've finally converted to La Croix, but it took some time.   I feel ya.

2 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

A not very proud moment from my day. . . . put dish soap on my stash of medjool dates before throwing them in the garbage. Last night I thought I could eat ONE but quickly ate THREE! How sad is it that I knew I should put soap on them to make sure future me doesn't go through the trash for them!? Day 27 with so much more learning to do.

I'm finding I'm having a lara bar or Rx bar every other day or so recently....which is basically the sugar dragon / food reward trouble I thought I was past.   Maybe the novelty is wearing off in this whole thing.  Guess that's why it's not a Whole365.   But yep, I'm feeling it too....and so close to the finish line! :-/

So glad y'all are here! I asked the "Whole30 and Poop" question and found the answer on another thread and here. Yeah, softer and less frequent, but also yesterday disturbingly "uncontrolled". Ick.  Only new thing I tried was leeks.  Hmmm.  I really appreciate the sweet potato tip.
NSV: Pants are looser! I've been wearing stretchy, yoga type pants (I'm self-employed therefore very casual dress code) so wasn't noticing a difference, but yesterday put on a pair of woven work pants (from my old job) and they were looser than the month before. YAY!
Craving: wine
Daydreaming about: Peanut butter
My first day of reintroduction is March 3rd -- 3/3  "3 is a magic number..."

I mixed coconut butter and raw unsweetened cocoa and realized I was trying to make candy. Wasn't that good. Tasted like too much of something.

I plan to hang here with the February 2017 crowd during reintro. February is my birthday month, so I like to think of it Whole30 as birthing a new me!!!!

24 minutes ago, MargaretM said:

So glad y'all are here! I asked the "Whole30 and Poop" question and found the answer on another thread and here. Yeah, softer and less frequent, but also yesterday disturbingly "uncontrolled". Ick.  Only new thing I tried was leeks.  Hmmm.  I really appreciate the sweet potato tip.
NSV: Pants are looser! I've been wearing stretchy, yoga type pants (I'm self-employed therefore very casual dress code) so wasn't noticing a difference, but yesterday put on a pair of woven work pants (from my old job) and they were looser than the month before. YAY!
Craving: wine
Daydreaming about: Peanut butter
My first day of reintroduction is March 3rd -- 3/3  "3 is a magic number..."

I mixed coconut butter and raw unsweetened cocoa and realized I was trying to make candy. Wasn't that good. Tasted like too much of something.

I plan to hang here with the February 2017 crowd during reintro. February is my birthday month, so I like to think of it Whole30 as birthing a new me!!!!

I'm very similar on the bathroom situation.  (Such a fun subject of discussion....glad to know it's not just me!) 

14 hours ago, k9zoo said:

I have a silly question--does coconut milk taste like dry coconut?  I hate coconut and have been reluctant to try anything with "coconut" in the name.

No, coconut milk does not taste like coconut. I don't think it tastes like anything really but is a great substitute for creams/dairy in soups and other sauces.  Coconut oil is another story-- I've found that the virgin coconut oil has a coconut taste/smell. I only use (nonvirgin/promiscuous :o) regular coconut oil - and it has no flavor.  

You should try it -- I think you will be surprised. 

Is anyone else noticing they aren't very hungry?  I had that taco salad yesterday and wasn't hungry for dinner last night.  I ate a couple of small boneless skinless chicken thighs and some carrot sticks with a few olives and some grapes.  I'm glad to find I am ready to consume less food:)  I use the canned coconut milk in my coffee as well and LOVE it!  I don't think it tastes like coconut at all. 

I hope to get my ISWF book tomorrow.  Can't wait to dive in.  I'm going to do just a little bit of sugar this weekend (a mini slow roll intro) ....hope everyone is having a great day.  K9 had to laugh at your comment on being in the kitchen.  Maybe you just need to find a few recipes that you really like to find that joy??

Hi All - I can't believe it's my last day, I started on the 30th of January. I have ISWF and am planning out my reintroduction now. I plan to keep posting to this thread as I go through the reintroduction period, hope you all stick around as well. I'm also actually thinking about doing another Whole 30 in April. Has anyone else done multiple whole 30s or are there a lot of first timers like me here?

I also want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here during their Whole 30. I might not always have quoted and responded but reading through everyone's experiences the good and the bad has been really helpful and inspirational to me through my own whole 30. Thanks!

I've been doing the Whole30 since this start date February 1 and though I feel the benefits of it immensely and have greatly enjoyed the process, my stepdaddy just died and all of a sudden my carefully planned meal plan doesn't feel doable (I'm at my family home that's 3 hours away from my own).

I've been trying to stay the course, but family food preparations consist of everything carbs and it results in not eating. I don't want to quit but I also know not eating and grief don't go well together. Does anyone have any advice? 

1 hour ago, DeRynn said:

Hi All - I can't believe it's my last day, I started on the 30th of January. I have ISWF and am planning out my reintroduction now. I plan to keep posting to this thread as I go through the reintroduction period, hope you all stick around as well. I'm also actually thinking about doing another Whole 30 in April. Has anyone else done multiple whole 30s or are there a lot of first timers like me here?

I also want to say thanks to everyone who has posted here during their Whole 30. I might not always have quoted and responded but reading through everyone's experiences the good and the bad has been really helpful and inspirational to me through my own whole 30. Thanks!

Last day for me as well, although I thought tomorrow was until I read your post, DeRynn. Can I consider that a NSV? 

I plan on sticking around this thread too -- its a good group, and a good place to check in every now and again.

Speaking of doing another round, I think a few of us have done several rounds but there are a lot of first timers too.  I recommend doing another round -- especially if you are just now reading ISWF.  Give yourself some time to read the book, "ride your own bike" and then apply what you've learned in the real world. Keep reading those labels because that may help you think twice about what you are putting in your body. Personally, I found that I did really well for months and months, then the holidays hit and I went off the rails. But I know that W30 works, and here I am again.  You guys are experienced now, so I hope you pay it forward and come back to this forum to give advice, lend support and encourage those who are new!

Dont forget to share your NSVs (and SV if you want) here when you finish!! 

Kelli

17 minutes ago, SommerM said:

I've been doing the Whole30 since this start date February 1 and though I feel the benefits of it immensely and have greatly enjoyed the process, my stepdaddy just died and all of a sudden my carefully planned meal plan doesn't feel doable (I'm at my family home that's 3 hours away from my own).

I've been trying to stay the course, but family food preparations consist of everything carbs and it results in not eating. I don't want to quit but I also know not eating and grief don't go well together. Does anyone have any advice? 

So sorry to hear about your stepdad, SommerM.  Can you make a shopping trip and buy a few things to get you through the next days? Maybe some (compliant) Larabars or RX bars will be good in a pinch....

Make things super easy -- meat, pre-cut veggies, fats. Saute in a skillet. 

Keep us posted, hang in there. 

@SommerM Sending you and yours some love! Be kind and forgiving of yourself no matter what food decisions you choose to make. Bananas, lara bars, nuts and hard boiled eggs are good to have on hand. Be proud of yourself for all the days you have achieved on the Whole30 and take strength from all you have learned about yourself through this process. If you don't end up sticking to the reintroduction plan this week you can always do it next time you are ready for round 2 for W30. Love yourself. Food is probably not the priority at this time and that is ok.

Hi all,

Isn't is strange that 30 days at the start seems like such a long way off and now it's Jay wozzing by! 

I am gonna continue with the whole 30/ rising my own bike and doing a very slow roll for when things crop up food wise. I'm not a big drinker - just social occasions and don't often go out for food so I should be ok most of the time.

I'm off to Germany, Berlin a week tomorrow and I know there will be food that can't live without. But I intend to hop back on the whole 30 way of life almost immediately. 

I am also intending on upping the exercise, biking and walking around Berlin next week will be early - I need to go to the gym when I feel brave enough :-)

sommerm - my thoughts are with you and your family - do what you can and what feels comfortable ((((( hug ))))))

happy eating everyone :-) 

On 2/21/2017 at 9:27 AM, LadyLisbette said:

Thanks, Samnkelli...that's cute! You mentioned almost being at the finish line...if anyone is thinking of doing a W45, I'll be done in mid-March, too, because I had to restart in mid-Feb on account of not reading labels, but continued hanging out here with you all...I must admit, there's a large area of my brain that wants to recognize I'm still right in there with you all because I started Feb. 1 and the transgressions were so minor. I know that's mushy boundaries, but what can I say. I like it here! I was proud of myself for not going off-plan for a time since I was starting over, but just kept on keeping on. I'll keep that! Anyway. I'll be sad if you all drop out of this forum at the end of the month, I'll have to drop in somewhere else. No future tripping on the W30, I know...

I will be here.  I am going for a Whole60 so good to know someone else will be here. 

23 hours ago, kelseysgotthis said:

I have done the soap also on food.  It is embarrassing even if I am the only one that knows....  But good job recognizing you needed to do this.  Keep close to the W30 eating lifestyle even 120 days from now.  It will help.

6 hours ago, 4Donna said:

Is anyone else noticing they aren't very hungry? 

Yes I have noticed this also.  I have started cutting back on my portions to see if that helps.  My jeans are still tight so thought maybe I am just eating to much.  Even with cutting back I am still not hungry in the 4 to 5 hour range and have to remind myself to eat.  Thanks for your comment. 

It has been awhile since I been here.  I am a consultant and my client requested me by surprise to fly out for a board meeting with one full days notice.  Well that sounds great but it is in a remote area of Alaska and there is only one restaurant.... and I had only a very very small fridge and a microwave at the offices and I needed to be out there for 5 days with the potential of 6 or 7 if a storm blew in and the planes did not fly. (This also means fresh foods are not on the shelves because the resupply planes could not come) but they usually have frozen veges)  There is no driving back to the larger city there are no roads so you have to fly.  Panic.  Lucky for me I have an experienced W30 partner which also travels and I had dinner with her that night.  She was like no problem this is what I do.  Which then started me on YES I CAN!  So I had left over pot roast which I froze in Vac-Seal bags, pork chops and roasted veges again sealed up, took out cans of compliant tuna, a cup of olive oil, LOTS of cut up veges, green leafy vegies, compliant avocado dip, hard boiled eggs and a cooler.  Guess what it worked.  I STAYED compliant.  Wow what a break through for me.  I can eat good and still go out to the villages.  It was funny for my first lunch the client and lawyer wanted to go out to lunch.  So I brought my prepacked lunch to the restaurant told them I was on a restricted diet and they said no problem eat away.  Plus next time I go out there the breakfast cook makes the best eggs and I asked if he would make them with my oil and if I could put a yam in the microwave.  He looked at me a little strange but said sure no problem.  My gosh I spoke up and now I even have more options when I travel remote.  I CAN do this.  

I am doing a W60 so if anyone else is let me know.  I found I needed more time the last time I did a W30 plus it becomes less of a countdown into a eating lifestyle for me over the 60 days  (I started Feb 1)

Thanks for everyone here, all the ups and downs and comments of encouragement.I   am all caught up now on reading the post.  

The Oscar goes to....Liz'sJourney for best W30 heroine in a motion picture, set in Alaska!!! Wow! I'm totally inspired - if I ever find myself whining silently about dining out/meetings/travel challenges, whatever, I will remember you in Alaska!

SommerM, I'm so sorry to hear about your stepdad. Deep sigh! I want to echo what Kelsey said - do your best - but the main thing is to love yourself and be gentle with yourself. Keep us posted on what it's like for you. We are interested. If you make exceptions, your W30 home, and this forum, will be waiting for you.

Last week, I googled, "W30 not hungry" and found some indication that it can be normal, and a sign of having switched over to fat burning mode. Recently I had a few days of 2 meals, and I didn't feel deprived, it was weird. Lately, I feel I've been pushing the limits, though, of how long I let myself be hungry before I eat, and have been flirting with under-eating, so I'm working on that...My schedule is different every day, so I have to be careful to get three meals...

Meanwhile I'm well into ISWF, and can see that my understanding will deepen as I continue on...for sure I will go for at least 60 days.

Thanks, everyone, for posting here - it helps me a lot to read your stories.

1 hour ago, LadyLisbette said:

The Oscar goes to....Liz'sJourney for best W30 heroine in a motion picture, set in Alaska!!! Wow! I'm totally inspired - if I ever find myself whining silently about dining out/meetings/travel challenges, whatever, I will remember you in Alaska!

SommerM, I'm so sorry to hear about your stepdad. Deep sigh! I want to echo what Kelsey said - do your best - but the main thing is to love yourself and be gentle with yourself. Keep us posted on what it's like for you. We are interested. If you make exceptions, your W30 home, and this forum, will be waiting for you.

Last week, I googled, "W30 not hungry" and found some indication that it can be normal, and a sign of having switched over to fat burning mode. Recently I had a few days of 2 meals, and I didn't feel deprived, it was weird. Lately, I feel I've been pushing the limits, though, of how long I let myself be hungry before I eat, and have been flirting with under-eating, so I'm working on that...My schedule is different every day, so I have to be careful to get three meals...

Meanwhile I'm well into ISWF, and can see that my understanding will deepen as I continue on...for sure I will go for at least 60 days.

Thanks, everyone, for posting here - it helps me a lot to read your stories.

Thanks for the "Oscar".  I was hoping to inspire and let people know challenges come but you can still do this.  I am really sorry for SommerM's loss also.  Really I am not sure what I would do with her situation.  It is very healthy to be with family.  

LadyLisbette so glad you will doing at least 60 looking forward to more post and challenges with you.  I think I am going to go and google the W30 not hungry and see what it says.   Plus I have never read ISWF so guess I am going to have to do that.  Thanks everyone for mentioning it is worth the read.  

Archived