FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

You may be too hard on yourself.  You didn't drink or indulge in sweets or snacks.  You had something that relaxed you and you watched a great movie!  Maybe another time you will drink some water and take a nice brisk walk or watch a yoga or meditation video.  We are all in the same boat and the fact that you didn't "medicate yourself with food/alcohol" is a major step!!  Way to go!!!

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been extremely busy the last two days and haven't had a chance to catch up.  LOVE all the sharing.  YES I too have not been sleeping the best.  Not sure why....except one day when I had tea later in the day.  I am also still feeling tired but mainly if I'm not getting my 7 minimum hours sleep.  PLUS, I realized yesterday I really had cut back on how much I was eating and nothing starchy...so I was in bed by 7pm...slept almost 8-1/2 hrs and felt better this morning.  Fixed two boneless small pork chops and a baked sweet potato for my breakfast and really feeling much better.  I love all the various ideas of what everyone is doing. 

I look at other carts every time I shop but usually I guess I'm feeling a bit smug....on all my healthy - fresh foods with out all the processed crap.  Then I feel really bad for the family that is going to consume all those chips and boxed meals!  If they only knew how good they could feel.  I am fairly new at my company and they have food ALL THE TIME!  EVERY Friday they bring in breakfast.  today it was muffins and bagels.  I avoided the lunch room until just now when I got my lunch bag!  Thankfully I had an awesome breakfast!!  OK - sun is shining and I'm headed outside for a walk and treating myself to a Japanese Cherry green iced tea........will catch up more over the weekend.

I think I'm really starting to understand the difference between craving food - and missing food.  There are foods I miss for sure.  And sometimes I'm not sure if I can separate out if I miss the food - or the meaning of the food.   I still have Friday Night Pizza-n-Movie with my husband and kids...but I don't have the pizza, obviously.  It just doesn't feel the same.  Maybe I don't miss the food as much as I miss the idea of the food.   I'm starting to understand why they say the second half of this Whole30 journey is more psychological than anything....  It's interesting!

42 minutes ago, Christa Allan said:

@jmcbn I rarely salt my food, but I've not been drinking as much water as I usually do.

Switching to a whole food diet can result in a drop in sodium levels of around 70% so you need to start salting your food, and you definitely need to keep your water intake up...

Recently I've spent a lot of time on this site and another Paleo website reading about fat-adapting, training the body to burn fat for fuel...been wanting to learn more about this. Realized that it would be reasonable for me to add more protein and fat, to extend how long I stay sated. I'm feeling really stimulated mentally to learn about this, and put it into practice. Shows me how deep the deprivation tendency is...learning to enjoy eating more fat is a revelation. I'm trusting this process, and trying to stay in the present and not future trip, just let it unroll (as in, the fat suit I'm wearing! ha ha). The science is challenging for me, but I'm synthesizing it into something simple that works for me. Time to buy ISWF and the Whole30 book...

19 minutes ago, LadyLisbette said:

Time to buy ISWF and the Whole30 book...

I cannot tell you how invaluable the info in It Starts With Food was to me. The "sciensy stuff" is written so it is easy to understand and it really is fascinating how our bodies process food, and how our emotions are tied to food.  I've read it 3 times and each and every time, I have a light bulb moment and something just sinks in!  It is definitely the book to read to understand the Whole 30 program and its importance.  And just FYI, I only bought the Whole30 book for the recipes....if you want to read one or the other, go with ISWF (IMHO!)

39 minutes ago, samnkelli said:

I cannot tell you how invaluable the info in It Starts With Food was to me. The "sciensy stuff" is written so it is easy to understand and it really is fascinating how our bodies process food, and how our emotions are tied to food.  I've read it 3 times and each and every time, I have a light bulb moment and something just sinks in!  It is definitely the book to read to understand the Whole 30 program and its importance.  And just FYI, I only bought the Whole30 book for the recipes....if you want to read one or the other, go with ISWF (IMHO!)

Really excited to learn that the science is easy to understand because I do want to understand it, and apply it to the best of my ability, to get the most benefit possible...ok, then, I'm convinced, and will start with ISWF. It seems like that must be the manifesto some people refer to...thx, samnkell. = )

10 hours ago, jmcbn said:

Switching to a whole food diet can result in a drop in sodium levels of around 70% so you need to start salting your food, and you definitely need to keep your water intake up...

Can you remind me again what's the rule about water please except drink a lot. I definately don't have enough and am gonna focus on that today.

just for a laugh - thought I'd share this pic.

I agree after reading the iswf I did learn a lot and was able to share the information with others, as to why certain food are ommited, and making myself understand the process better. 

Think I'm going to read it through again - I almost forgot I had it! 

happy eating and drinking everyone! X

image.jpg

Yesterday was a much better day, I felt so much lighter and brighter, the sun was shining and I felt on top of the world. Had some pineapple at lunchtime as a treat. It felt like the sweetest thing I've ever eaten, but I was nearly asleep 2 hours later and I got a serious case of the munchies which I haven't had before. So that's 2 lessons, desserts and treats are not required, and even fruit sugar makes you crash and crave. Definately something to bear in mind. 

Happy weekend everyone! 

Hi everyone... I actually started Whole30 on January 30th but this thread is so much more active.  So I had a breakthrough this morning... I realized that my sugar dragon is more active if I eat fruit as the last thing in my meal.  I either need to eat it first or in the middle. I don't know if this happens to anyone else but it was driving me crazy. I hope everyone is doing well.

@treeny_bash & @Shannondp16 I have been noticing the same thing! When I ate the piece of pineapple last week I could feel myself zinging! Good job identifying the order in which you eat fruit in a meal Shannon, I'll have to try that too.

I'm feeling pretty light and bright too! I went to my first Hot Yoga class last night, sweat like crazy, and ended up sleeping for 10 HOURS!! Crazy unusual for me but I guess my body was busy restoring all of my muscles! I'm enjoying that my focus is shifting from food/groceries/kitchen to body/mind/habit.

Well, it is now day 20 for me.  Wow I cannot believe it.  I have been enjoying it so far.  Maybe just yesterday I had a sense of wanting something different, like oatmeal with blueberries for breakfast.  But it passed rather quickly.  I am happy we are this far now.  Hubby still has his daily cocktails which make me envious but I still do the kombucha or if I get anxious I will have tomato juice, no sugar added.  All is well, my friends think I am nuts doing this while on vacation, but we are retired and there is always another reason not to start something like this.  So here we are.  Only 10 days to go.  Whooohooo!!  Keep it up everyone!  Kelseysgotthis!  Yesterday I rode my bike for several miles here and it was great, I was worried I would run out of steam and I never did.  Very happy!

Hi everyone! Observations since my last check in...on Friday night after a lovely walk in the rain, I was stretching, but I still felt full from the meal I ate before the walk. Something had reminded me of a loved one who passed, and I just laid down on the floor in corpse pose and had myself a little cry. Tears in the ears. Sitting on the sofa later the sugar dragon reared its ravenous head. I let it pass, happy to have a "safe house" but noted that it was the first time on program it's happened: emotional eating! There it is. Also noted that I have to exercise much later after a meal, or just have a pre work-out snack, even if it's just a walk. Funny that being full didn't bother me on the walk, but during my stretch.

The next day we were really excited to hike to some waterfalls we'd never seen, a 5 hour hike. Did I mention I learn the slow way? LOL I ate my extra fat and protein breakfast. And what do you think happened? I was a sloth on the trail for the first 3 hours! Ha Ha Ha! I should have eaten a smaller breakfast, and packed a post work out snack. At any rate, it was a stunning, memorable hike, and I really knew where the digestion was at by the way my energy became available. I was in a total bliss, and then we went out to eat and I had a good, compliant meal. Guess what I came home to discover? I picked up a TICK, on the spot where vampires go, the side of the throat! Right before he died, the tick said, "you're easy prey moving so slow. and your blood tastes good, what are you eating?"

5 hours ago, LadyLisbette said:

Hi everyone! Observations since my last check in...on Friday night after a lovely walk in the rain, I was stretching, but I still felt full from the meal I ate before the walk. Something had reminded me of a loved one who passed, and I just laid down on the floor in corpse pose and had myself a little cry. Tears in the ears. Sitting on the sofa later the sugar dragon reared its ravenous head. I let it pass, happy to have a "safe house" but noted that it was the first time on program it's happened: emotional eating! There it is. Also noted that I have to exercise much later after a meal, or just have a pre work-out snack, even if it's just a walk. Funny that being full didn't bother me on the walk, but during my stretch.

The next day we were really excited to hike to some waterfalls we'd never seen, a 5 hour hike. Did I mention I learn the slow way? LOL I ate my extra fat and protein breakfast. And what do you think happened? I was a sloth on the trail for the first 3 hours! Ha Ha Ha! I should have eaten a smaller breakfast, and packed a post work out snack. At any rate, it was a stunning, memorable hike, and I really knew where the digestion was at by the way my energy became available. I was in a total bliss, and then we went out to eat and I had a good, compliant meal. Guess what I came home to discover? I picked up a TICK, on the spot where vampires go, the side of the throat! Right before he died, the tick said, "you're easy prey moving so slow. and your blood tastes good, what are you eating?"

You should be writing a book, great reporting!  And yes!  I am an emotional eater too, but you know what?  It's 21 days for me now and 21 days makes a habit. right? So no emotional eating anymore!  Yeah!!

Just got caught up on several pages of the forum. Thank you all for sharing! It helps to read some of the same things I've been experiencing. First, a few NSVs, 1) Valentine's Day - as with many of you, the sweets were a bit hard to avoid, but I did and even had the family open a triple decker chocolate cake at the table and the chocolate smell was so overwhelming. My sweet dad quickly put the top back on and ate his piece by the sink behind me. 2) Yesterday I went to a movie grill and actually ordered grilled chicken, avocado and water. I'm usually a hamburger, fries and diet coke person at these places. This is the absolute first eating plan I have ever been on that has lived up to the promises of feeling better. I've definitely had my cry times, angry times and craving times the last 21 days, but I feel so much more positive about things and not as easily overwhelmed. I have suffered from major depression for decades and, while I still take anti-depressants, I finally think there may be other solutions. That's what has totally kept me going!  I have yet to get the tiger blood and energy lift although I feel a bit more energetic. My recliner is just too comfy! That's my next goal--getting more active.

I do need to make some different things this week as I'm getting some food boredom set in, especially with veggies. I'm also very sleepy as several have mentioned. Perhaps more activity will help that. So here's to a strong finish and better choices in the future!!!

2 hours ago, k9zoo said:

Just got caught up on several pages of the forum. Thank you all for sharing! It helps to read some of the same things I've been experiencing. First, a few NSVs, 1) Valentine's Day - as with many of you, the sweets were a bit hard to avoid, but I did and even had the family open a triple decker chocolate cake at the table and the chocolate smell was so overwhelming. My sweet dad quickly put the top back on and ate his piece by the sink behind me. 2) Yesterday I went to a movie grill and actually ordered grilled chicken, avocado and water. I'm usually a hamburger, fries and diet coke person at these places. This is the absolute first eating plan I have ever been on that has lived up to the promises of feeling better. I've definitely had my cry times, angry times and craving times the last 21 days, but I feel so much more positive about things and not as easily overwhelmed. I have suffered from major depression for decades and, while I still take anti-depressants, I finally think there may be other solutions. That's what has totally kept me going!  I have yet to get the tiger blood and energy lift although I feel a bit more energetic. My recliner is just too comfy! That's my next goal--getting more active.

I do need to make some different things this week as I'm getting some food boredom set in, especially with veggies. I'm also very sleepy as several have mentioned. Perhaps more activity will help that. So here's to a strong finish and better choices in the future!!!

We just had the chili someone else posted and it is sooo good!  Basically one onion chopped and 3 gloves of garlic, 2 lbs of grass fed beef ground 90% lean 4 chopped tomatoes 1 can of tomatoe paste 1 jalapeño 3 carrots finely chopped 2 celery chopped 1 cup of chopped or sliced black olives 2-3 tbsp of chili powder I use ancho chili and regular salt coriander to taste simmer for a while and the. Serve on top of spirilized zucchini (raw) sprinkle with some cilantro!  It was excellent and then you can have it for breakfast with an egg on top!  

Day 17 for me today and more than half way there. Ate out for the first time on Saturday and I forgot to swap out the salad dressing, my head was killing all day yesterday so I think there may have been some sugar there. I was in a bad mindset on Saturday, thinking about next weekend and my sister's birthday meal and the fact that even the best choice could have some hidden sugars and other non compliant goodies, so why not just eat whatever I want. And if I'm cheating then why not just have a glass of wine now, there's no difference. Except there is, I have to do the best I can and stick to the rules,  and define new rules for when I'm done or I'll return to eat all the things mode and I'll never find food freedom and I'll never find the slim healthy girl I'm supposed to be. 

Hello all,

I'm enjoying readin everyone's posts and thinking - that's actually me right now, especailly the emotional roller coaster and the barrage of emotions followed by feeling so tired yesterday due to lack of sleep and feeling so cold all the time? Strange 

I have pursuaded my parents to get on the whole 30 track and they are loving it. My mum cooked an amazing meal - mussels with  a lemongrass sauce followed by lamb done in the slow cooker with vegetables - it was delicious. It's also fair to say she's been using the slow cooker so much she's officially kept it lol. We're also sharing meals so it saves on the making side of things that works really well. 

Talking about upping the exercise - I started 5 days ago just persuading myself to do a bit of walking. I did 1 mile and have added on one mile everyday. Today I want to do 6 miles. I didn't know there were so many walks around by me which has been a mini adventure and I've also found a coffee place in the middle of knowwhere that I'm going back to and treat myself to a black coffee.

I'm food prepping today so will be definitely making a massive batch of salmon fish cakes.

happy eating everyone x 

Yes, I agree I enjoy reading everyone's remarks too!  Its inspiring!  I forgot to mention that I stopped taking Victoza for my diabetis and this morning my sugars are down even more 120! Never mind the weight loss My focus is now on my health!  I believe it is working.  Day 22 and maybe this is the way for me from now on!!!

@treeny_bash What is the plan for your sister's birthday meal? is she cooking a big meal? Are you going out? Have you had a chance to talk to her about your W30? Let's make sure you've got a good plan for that party so you don't have to worry about ruining your W30 right at the end! Would it be possible to offer to bring a dish to contribute? And maybe one of the W30 cocktails, nuts or olives too? Or maybe eat before you go so you can make it through the event without really eating? Don't grab that wine just yet! I feel your pain, I really miss it too! Soon!!

Hi All,

Had a great weekend at my Irish Immersion ... just about everyone was jealous of my meals that I brought with me. The Marist Brothers are great but a lot of the food is something you would get at summer camp. Saturdays Menu: Sausage, Pancakes, fruity yogurt and cereal for Breakfast Hotdogs, Curly Fries and Broccoli Cheese Soup for Lunch and Breaded chicken baked potato and maple carrots with a small salad bar for Dinner not exactly super Whole30 friendly. But I came well prepared with Snapwares full of whole 30 meals. One of the hardest parts was not to visit the shared snack table that has all the cookies candy chips that you could imagine. Although there was some fruit so I snagged a Halo to have with my lunch.

The toughest part came after the Ceili, Irish Party Dancing Music etc., we were sitting around playing cards chatting and one of the teachers from Ireland brought over a bottle of Bailey like liquor and was passing out small samples to everyone and I was like no I really can't have any. Which was met with the response from multiple people "Oh go ahead you can have a bit." "its only a mouthful that's not even cheating" Etc. etc. and I have to tell you I was really tempted for like a split second A. because I love cream liquor like Baileys B. Definitely a social drinker C. Damn Peer pressure, Damn you! and then I looked at the clock on the wall and realized it was after midnight and that meant I was on day 21 was I really going to give up all the hard work for the past 20 days for a mouthful of liquor. NO!!! I'm actually glad that this event came closer to the end of my Whole30 that really helped me stave off the temptation!

9 minutes ago, DeRynn said:

from Ireland brought over a bottle of Bailey like liquor and was passing out small samples to everyone and I was like no I really can't have any. Which was met with the response from multiple people "Oh go ahead you can have a bit." "its only a mouthful that's not even cheating" Etc. etc.

Darn those Irish and their forceful drinking ways...... ;)

Well done on staying strong!!

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, samnkelli said:

I'm excited that you find the book so helpful. I've ordered Starts with Food as well as Cookbook Well Fed. They should arrive tomorrow!

Archived