FEBRUARY 1, 2017 Start Date? JOIN THIS THREAD!!

samnkelli

Day 20: still no tiger blood... :( although I do think that my joints are not as painful. I am looking forward to being able to reintroduce some things back into my diet, because HOLY MOLY do I miss cheese! I came to a conclusion yesterday though;  with all the stress I am dealing with from grad school and my huge licensure test that is on March 3 (good vibes, thoughts and prayers are welcome) I don't think my results are as noticeable because my stress levels are astronomical right now. That being said, I think that I will be doing another whole30 in April (as I will need to be drinking alcohol on March 3rd...) I also think that though I will be introducing things that are not compliant back into my eating habits, I have learned that I actually do have discipline (this is major for me, I can rarely make it past a week of commitment) and that moderation is key. I will be eating mostly whole30 meals but giving myself a reward now and then as well :)

• Replies 739
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Michelle H said:

I've been thinking about reintroduction here! I plan to only reintroduce foods/drinks that I have actually literally missed. Like I know now that I don't need soft drinks so I don't plan to reintroduce them. I'll allow myself a soft drink only if I'm out with family or friends at a restaurant and maybe not even then! I don't plan to stick with the strict Whole30 but I do plan to pay more attention to labels and continue to NOT SNACK. That's been the biggest thing for me - realizing that I do not need to snack. The Whole30 has been really good for me and I'm definitely going to take away a lot from it! But I'm not gonna lie - I'm looking forward to bagels and cream cheese again (though maybe I'll try to switch to bagels and ghee! Lol. I hope gluten and dairy aren't my foods that negatively affect me! :):):)

This forum has been amazing for keeping me on track, btw!! 

If you think you might EVER have a food group, it's a very good idea to do a reintroduction so you know exactly how it affects you. That includes things like the occasional soft drink. Remember, you have to do a Whole30 before you can do reintroductions, so this is an invaluable opportunity. (And also remember that you don't repeat a reintroduced food during your reintroduction period.)

Spoke to my mum tonight, I'm feeling much better about this weekend now. She's clear on what I can and can't eat and happy to accommodate me. I apologised for being awkward and she told me not to worry, she was happy that I was sticking to the plan. I've said that I'll bring some of my own food, and told her I'll make some homemade mayo to have with tuna and potato for lunch on Saturday, she's going to do some kind of meat or fish with veg for Sunday dinner which will be great. So other than the temptation of the meal out and potential non compliant ingredients there it should all be ok. 

I've been so desperate for wine today, work was very stressful and for the first time I counted how many days were left until I could have a glass. Something I've noticed about this round is that I'm not keeping track of the days as much as last time. I have to count them up every time, so maybe it's easier, or maybe it just feels like it's been longer than it has been!

Hello - hope it's going well for you. 

The cat has just woken me up, it's 5 a.m. Have been trying to get to sleep for about 20 mins. 

I have been getting up extra early but I feel thy this is a little TOO early.

Ive been thinking a lot about reintroductions. not really because I'm craving things but because at one point I will be having certain foods or alcohol.

I can't believe we've all come this far at its really wizzed by.

Happy eatin everyone x 

Yesterday was the first time I could really see and feel my pants fitting looser. Yay!

I keep reading that eating some sweet potato or yam with dinner may help with sleep. I need that. Like Hedgehog, my cat almost always wakes me up, or I get up to visit the bathroom and then I can't get back to sleep. Usually exercise helps with that, but not lately. So tonight after my dinner, as a kind of dessert, I ate half of a small yam with a tsp of ghee, some walnuts, and it was the most decadent thing I've eaten on this whole program, it was like eating pie!! 

Not sure if I'll do a W45 or W60 - I don't feel ready to stop. I've been such a sugar junkie all of my life, I think I need more time. I would like to travel to see friends and family 4 hours away soon, so I'll have to be really prepared, but I think I shouldn't let it stop me. The thing that will be most challenging will be wanting to enjoy the home cooking of good friends who are Pakistani. I'll have to ask her about ingredients - the oil is ghee, for sure, maybe I can just avoid the rice and enjoy the meats and gravy, etc...we'll see.

On 2/22/2017 at 1:25 PM, ArtFossil said:

If you think you might EVER have a food group, it's a very good idea to do a reintroduction so you know exactly how it affects you. That includes things like the occasional soft drink. Remember, you have to do a Whole30 before you can do reintroductions, so this is an invaluable opportunity. (And also remember that you don't repeat a reintroduced food during your reintroduction period.)

That's a great point! Would you reintroduce soft drinks on a day by themselves? Or do you do "sugar" all on a day by itself? I wasn't sure. 

This Whole30 has been great! The only "disappointment" that I've had is that I was really hoping eating better and doing the Whole30 would help me sleep better and for longer periods of time. I usually wake up and get up (usually for the bathroom lol) at least 3-4 times a night so I feel like I never reach that REM sleep because I'm getting up every couple of hours. I had 2-3 nights during the Whole30 where I only woke up like 1 time but that's it. I was really hoping to be able to sleep better. Oh well! But in other news, I had more energy last night for the first time! Yay!!! 

1 minute ago, Michelle H said:

That's a great point! Would you reintroduce soft drinks on a day by themselves? Or do you do "sugar" all on a day by itself? I wasn't sure. 

I did Diet Pepsi on its own day, LOL. If you want to test "sugar" in quantities greater than the added sugar in catsup or bacon, etc, I'd wait and make it your last intro just because for some people it can really skew things. 

Last week (for us Feb 1 starters)!  Bringin' it on home!  I'm feeling great - and wearing pants I couldn't a few weeks ago.   I will say that I'm excited to get back to a few foods - but I'm also really nervous I'll quickly revert to bad habits (sugar!).  I think (I hope!) knowing I'll be doing future Whole30s in the not-too-distant future will help keep me on track....knowing it'll be so much easier next time starting from a better place.

Thinking I'll try again in April sometime.   Maybe I'll see some of you back here then!   (Between now and then I'm going to focus on working more exercise back into my routine....  This whole process has really put my focus back on general wellness - physical, mental, emotional.... that's the most important thing that has come out of this for me.)

I'm trying to plan out my Reintroduction (since the finish line is in sight) and I'm in trouble. I'm going to a big conference with colleagues next weekend and I had already planned to not be strict Whole30 that weekend since I'll be done with Whole30 and I don't want to look "weird" or be "that person" in front of colleagues I don't really know. (Don't judge me, I care too much about what other people think lol). I figured I would be fine since the Whole30 would be done but I didn't account for the reintroduction. I won't be done with Reintroduction by the weekend and I really do want to know what will affect me and how. Can I eat what I want that weekend (still having good habits and not going crazy) and then finish reintroduction when I get back on Monday? Maybe go back to W30 for a few days before finishing reintroduction? What do ya'll think?

Michelle H, you are safe here - I sense this is a safe, non judgmental place! I know a moderator will advise you well, and I look forward to reading the advice you get...are you staying in your own hotel room? Will it have a refrigerator? Will you have menu options? Can you discreetly mention to the conference planner that you have questions or preferences so that your needs are met without putting your neck out publicly as you wish not to? If it sounds grim, I wonder if you can bring what you need, just in case. Maybe you can stick as close to W30 as you can based on what they're serving, and eat around rice and pasta, and desserts for example. If it were me, I'd bring some coconut oil and a few tupperware tubs of my usual foods like boiled eggs, veggies, and some condiments to compensate for what they're not giving you...

I have a regular weekly lunch meeting where I live, that takes place at a Retreat Center, and they have delicious food, but it's always different, and it's not a given that it'll be compliant, so I eat a good meal before I go, then nibble on the salad bar or a compliant soup, so I can still "break bread" with others, but get what I need.

There's a solution for you, I know you'll find it!

2 hours ago, AmyEN said:

Last week (for us Feb 1 starters)!  Bringin' it on home!  I'm feeling great - and wearing pants I couldn't a few weeks ago.   I will say that I'm excited to get back to a few foods - but I'm also really nervous I'll quickly revert to bad habits (sugar!).  I think (I hope!) knowing I'll be doing future Whole30s in the not-too-distant future will help keep me on track....knowing it'll be so much easier next time starting from a better place.

Thinking I'll try again in April sometime.   Maybe I'll see some of you back here then!   (Between now and then I'm going to focus on working more exercise back into my routine....  This whole process has really put my focus back on general wellness - physical, mental, emotional.... that's the most important thing that has come out of this for me.)

I like this because after my text next week I WILL be drinking alcohol and then I will do the rest of my reintroduction. The difference for me is now I know I can do this for 30 days so I will tack on extra days as well as not having this huge test as a pressure and I think my next whole30 will produce in greater results!!

Happy Friday - wow we are nearing the end.  I plan to do a slight introduction over Saturday - Sunday and start right back in on Monday.  I signed up for the emails and have really enjoyed reading them - plus the accountability at the end of every day!   We've been trying new recipes and really enjoying more variety as I tend to get in a rut of fixing the same things over and over!  I'm still not sleeping as good as I want - but also not getting the activity and cardio that I should so that is my next focus! 

Michelle - "food allergies" keep me from eating lots of things and that is a great way to avoid some foods around others - since your are "trying" to see what your body reacts too right now.  Not that you are on an overly restrictive "diet"..but you are focusing on your health right now and making the best choices of what to consume for YOU!  After my last reaction to some food where I had horrible stomach cramps and breathing / wheezing issues and just barely avoided the ER with benedryl....it makes it much easier for me to say thanks - but no I'm not going to have any of "....place the name here....   I attended an all day seminar earlier this week and they catered in chicken and noodles!  They did have green beans ....and fresh veggies and fresh fruits.  Luckily I had brought some compliant salami with no preservatives in my small thermal bag with my water.  I ate.....I wasn't overly full but I wasn't starving and I stayed on track.  It really is a choice we all have to make.  Sometimes I might choice differently but I think the more we choose for us the easier it becomes. 

You all have been GREAT in sharing and ideas and I think that has helped on this journey as much as anything.

1 hour ago, Garts Girl said:

I think I might have found the tiger although I woke with the beginnings of a head cold. Pants are a little looser.... Around my calves for some strange reason. Oh well I'll take it. Happy Friday all!!

(Not Whole30 talk but) I use this great stuff called "Kick-Ass Immune" every time I feel the hint of a cold coming on.  It has not failed me yet.  (and I have two little kids, so germs are hard to avoid.)   It's a spray....and it tastes AWFUL.  it really is the worst thing I've ever tasted (but you do get a little used to it.)  But it works!    in case anyone was looking to help avoid colds.    It's all natural, herbal, and looks compliant to me! 

wow! I have been offline for a while. Still on the Whole30 wagon, just REALLLLY busy.

This week I had a course start sunday and it was very time consuming. I think I had chicken every meal this week and eggs for every breakfast. Lots of broccoli and carrots as well!

NSVs!!! Been feeling pretty good! My stomach is flatter and I feel like I have lost weight! My clothes is fitting much better and my skin is showing improvement as well. Soft and clear.

I have been having more dreams of sugar... the latest involved me telling my nephews that the cake we had was no good and I threw it in the garbage. Then when they left I ate the cake out of the garbage. lol my goodness!!!!! I have been craving sugar  this week. I honestly just want a cupcake.

Next week I am out of town for meetings and already planning my food. The hotel got a microwave so I plan to take cooked chicken breasts and veggies along for the meetings along with my fruit. Day 25 is coming to an end!!! I plan on doing the reintroduction to see how I feel. Have to start planning that soon as well. hope everyone is doing great!! :)

I use something from the Vet. It's safe for animals and humans. I put it right up my nose or gargle with it. Knocks those germs dead in the head.  I actually use a Q-tip for the nose as a preventative barrier when I have to go into the hospital or clinic where all of the sick people are gathered together. It is called vetericyn (wound and skin care) hydro gel. Safe, non-toxic. No alcohol, steroids or antibiotics. Safe to humans and animals if ingested.  Non-irritating and non-sensitizing, works on all animal skin types. Works for horses, dogs, cats, humans.  I've been using it for years. Great to use before you get on a airplane.  A lil dab up your nose will do you. Gargle with it if everyone around is sick and coughing, sneezing.  It heals wounds, cuts, minor burns, abrasions, skin irritants. Great for the livestock and pets. I decided it was safe for them, so I started using it.  Works.  Most farming and ranching stores sell it, too.  

I told Paw's dr. ;) He's now using it as a barrier up his nose when he has to visit with sick people all day long with serious flu and colds, etc.  I share this with my friends who fly overseas or long airplane trips. Sharing air that everyone is breathing. :P  You can take it with you wherever you go. I always use before I go to the grocery store.  You can put some on your hands when you come outside. 

It's almost impossible to keep the livestock or pets from trying to :P it off. It doesn't hurt them. You should see the before and after photos of how it heals deep wounds on horses, livestock.  I could go on but we just don't have the time. :D

http://vetericyn.com/

Hi whole30ers, my mom called last night and told me something I wanted to share with you all. In the beginning of this journey (day 4ish) I went to a baby shower and had to pass up lots of yummy treats and desserts. The people sitting around me asked why I wasn't eating anything but veggies. I told them about the whole30 program and how it brings awareness to what we put in our bodies. My mom ran into one of those ladies from the shower the other day and she told her how she had cleaned up her diet and started to notice changes. She said I inspired her to become more healthy! NSV :) 

just when I thought it was becoming pointless, I learn I'm inspiring others to live a healthy life, which is one of the reasons I started in the beginning. I hope you all are enjoying your whole30 changes. We are almost there, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! 

45 minutes ago, Allie711 said:

Hi whole30ers, my mom called last night and told me something I wanted to share with you all. In the beginning of this journey (day 4ish) I went to a baby shower and had to pass up lots of yummy treats and desserts. The people sitting around me asked why I wasn't eating anything but veggies. I told them about the whole30 program and how it brings awareness to what we put in our bodies. My mom ran into one of those ladies from the shower the other day and she told her how she had cleaned up her diet and started to notice changes. She said I inspired her to become more healthy! NSV :) 

just when I thought it was becoming pointless, I learn I'm inspiring others to live a healthy life, which is one of the reasons I started in the beginning. I hope you all are enjoying your whole30 changes. We are almost there, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel!! 

SEE!!!!!!!! Isnt that gratifying??! You impacted someone's life :)

Last weekend of our 30 day journey, guys.  Im looking forward to reading all of your NSVs next week. Have a great weekend!!

Archived