Sweet Potatoes?

lhenkin

I am on day 32 and am dipping my toe into the reintroduction waters. I have been enjoying sweet potatoes this month. Can someone remind me why sweet potatoes are "IN" and white potatoes are "OUT." Wondering if I should reintroduce white potatoes or not?

White potatoes just aren't as nutritious as sweet potatoes and are basically all starch. If you like sweet potatoes and have been happy with them I would just stick to them and forget about regular potatoes... they aren't nearly as good IMO. Plus you can always make cauliflower mash if you are craving regular old mashed potatoes!

There is a little more nutritional punch in a sweet potato than a regular potato. In general, white potatoes are removed not because they have an overly negative impact on a healthy persons health but more because there are better veggie choices and in a typical diet, potatoes in many forms are way overconsumed and will push more nutritious veggies off your plate and we don't want that. From a personal perspective, after your whole30, if you're a very active person performing intense workouts, sometimes some occasional starches are a welcomed part of a diet, and in those cases, a white potato (with toxin-containing skin removed) can be acceptable. It just shouldn't be a staple.

Actually, it's a misconception that sweet potatoes are more nutritious than white potato - they're actually pretty darn similar. As Johnny mentioned above, the issue is one of habit. We eat a lot of white potatoes in this country, generally in the form of chips and fries. If we're trying to change your habits with the Whole30, we'd rather have you focus on other veggies first, and sweet potatoes (which we don't eat very much of, and generally don't think of in terms of fries or chips) if you need more carbohydrate to support activity levels.

It's arbitrary, but it's our program, and we've found this rule prevents people from filling their plate with french fries as part of their Whole30. ;)

Melissa

I have to say, of all the things I've reintroduced mashed potatoes were a LOVE. I did miss the creamy, cheesy potatoes. They have been one of the few "worth it" foods I've had since July. But I also know that I would eat them a few times a week and there are healthier alternatives that are just as delicious. So, I'm saving them for special occasions and I'm good with that.

Actually, it's a misconception that sweet potatoes are more nutritious than white potato - they're actually pretty darn similar. As Johnny mentioned above, the issue is one of habit. We eat a lot of white potatoes in this country, generally in the form of chips and fries. If we're trying to change your habits with the Whole30, we'd rather have you focus on other veggies first, and sweet potatoes (which we don't eat very much of, and generally don't think of in terms of fries or chips) if you need more carbohydrate to support activity levels.

It's arbitrary, but it's our program, and we've found this rule prevents people from filling their plate with french fries as part of their Whole30. ;)

Melissa

Thanks Melissa!!!!

Actually, it's a misconception that sweet potatoes are more nutritious than white potato - they're actually pretty darn similar.

Melissa

I'm definitely glad to hear that - I begin reintroduction on Thanksgiving, and while I don't care about stuffing (always hated it) or pecan pie, I cannot wait to make a batch of my buttery mashed potatoes.

Why are the skins considered a no-no? Are the skins of any particular kind of potato better than others? I almost always leave the skin on my potatoes because I enjoy the texture, but if they're known to cause problems I'm happy to peel them!

Well I'm a bit bummed... here I thought sweet potatoes were so much more nutritious and better for you than white potatoes and I've been eating them quite a bit. :( Guess I'll have to come up with something else.

Why are the skins considered a no-no? Are the skins of any particular kind of potato better than others? I almost always leave the skin on my potatoes because I enjoy the texture, but if they're known to cause problems I'm happy to peel them!

Potatoes are a nightshade vegetable, and as such, can potentially be an issue for AI sensitive people. The skins are the most reactive part, containing some kind of alkaloid (can't recall the exact term offhand). Best to peel and avoid the issue, for the most part. :)

Potatoes are a nightshade vegetable, and as such, can potentially be an issue for AI sensitive people. The skins are the most reactive part, containing some kind of alkaloid (can't recall the exact term offhand). Best to peel and avoid the issue, for the most part.

Saponins. :)

Okay, I'm a little confused. I also had the understanding that sweet potatoes where a much better choice than white potatoes, not marginally better!

Also, am I reading that we only want to have sweet potatoes occasionally? ...hmmm, I'm probably eating them 3 times/wk. An I eat the skins :wacko:

Okay, I'm a little confused. I also had the understanding that sweet potatoes where a much better choice than white potatoes, not marginally better!

Also, am I reading that we only want to have sweet potatoes occasionally? ...hmmm, I'm probably eating them 3 times/wk. An I eat the skins :wacko:

I feel like there's a lot of contradictory information regarding potatoes now. :huh:

If white potatoes are fine, then why can't I have them during Whole30? I don't want french fries or potato chips -- I hate them! But if I can eat a roasted sweet potato, and white potatoes are just as good, then what's wrong with roasted fingerling potatoes with kosher salt and fresh herbs from my garden? I mean, I'm getting by just fine without, but it sure would give me a little added variety, and I could stop worrying that I'm about to turn orange from all the sweet potatoes and winter squash.

Depends on your goals and what you mean by "better." They are definitely lower GI than white potatoes, so if you're metabolically deranged and blood sugar spikes are a concern for you, sweet potatoes may be a better choice. Total carb load? very similar. Nutrient and mineral profile? Mat Lalonde actually presented some data at AHS this year to suggest that white potatoes are MORE nutrient dense than sweet taters. (Note, it was not adjusted for bioavailability, so who knows?)

What is your context and why are you looking to include or exclude potatoes of any variety?

Melissa already popped in to explain why white potatoes are out for the W30, it's a psychological thing, PLUS it pushes better options off your plate.

They aren't botanically related though, and white potatoes can cause problems for folks with autoimmune stuff. If you're one of those people, maybe avoid them, otherwise, feel free to add them back in afterwards cautiously

Mads, even though it's admittedly mostly arbitrary, the autoimmune tie-in is one of the biggie for excluding them during your w30. It's m&d's program, so it's their rules. Follow 'em or don't, but while they arent compliant, if white potatoes are the worst thing in your diet, you're doing pretty well IMO.

Archived