My boyfriend and I are wanting to start the Whole30 together but he fears loosing weight during it.  He is about 6'0 and 130lbs. He has been trying for years to gain weight but struggles with it even with weight gain protein powders.  He is an ICU nurse and often doesn't get the opportunity to eat and heavily relies on some type of protein drink to keep his daily intake up. Yes he does eat when he is off work more than I can sometimes keep up with. He has an extraordinary metabolism.  

Can anyone suggest a good protein powder he can have on the whole30? or possible options that are high in calories that he can eat while on the go in a hectic pt care area? It would need to be things that can't easily spoil aka keep in his pockets for hours at a time without refrigeration. 

I don't have any protein powder options. He needs whopping boatloads of good homemade bone broth, real food proteins, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, whopping boatloads of good fats.  I'd load him up with KerryGold clarified butter. He could use it on everything. On roasted vege of every kind and even in his drinks. 

All protein powders are denatured proteins. You can't get good quality whole proteins out of a powder that's created in a lab and manufactured in a plant. This man needs steaks, brisket, roast beef, chops, eggs,fish, poultry, starchy vege and all of the others. Coconut oil shooters and avocados. In no time at all, if you sent this man to our house, we would slowly increase his appetite/portions until he was putting on the weight. Oooo, we're good at this because almost everything we eat is homemade. 

We'd spoil him good. He needs bone broth and he should be carrying chops in his pockets. Everytime you see him, he should be gnawing on a bone after just finishing some real protein. He should be wearing a baked potato around his neck, too.  Just hack off a bite as he's going down the hallway. Please, load this man up with everything on the Whole 30 shopping list. Sooner rather than later.

• Moderators

I don't know how well the suggestions will work in that kind of work environment, but this article is about keeping weight on during Whole30: https://whole30.com/2013/12/keeping-weight-whole30/  

Maybe Epic bars or compliant jerky for options to carry with him. If he has a locker or desk area where he can leave items and grab them when he has time, maybe cans of tuna, salmon, other fish, or possibly chicken if you can find it, pouches of olives, a bottle of olive oil he can add to his food. Maybe he can carry vegetables like carrots and celery and sliced bell peppers, or maybe even chunks of roasted potatoes. Can he keep a thermos of soup around to drink when he has a moment? You could put just about anything in it and just blend it up so it's mostly drinkable. 

I've heard that there are egg white protein powders that are compliant, but I've also heard they're not exactly tasty, and they're not ever going to be the best choice for a meal. They may be an option for sometimes, though.

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2017 at 7:37 PM, MeadowLily said:

I don't have any protein powder options. He needs whopping boatloads of good homemade bone broth, real food proteins, baked potatoes and sweet potatoes, whopping boatloads of good fats.  I'd load him up with KerryGold clarified butter. He could use it on everything. On roasted vege of every kind and even in his drinks. 

All protein powders are denatured proteins. You can't get good quality whole proteins out of a powder that's created in a lab and manufactured in a plant. This man needs steaks, brisket, roast beef, chops, eggs,fish, poultry, starchy vege and all of the others. Coconut oil shooters and avocados. In no time at all, if you sent this man to our house, we would slowly increase his appetite/portions until he was putting on the weight. Oooo, we're good at this because almost everything we eat is homemade. 

We'd spoil him good. He needs bone broth and he should be carrying chops in his pockets. Everytime you see him, he should be gnawing on a bone after just finishing some real protein. He should be wearing a baked potato around his neck, too.  Just hack off a bite as he's going down the hallway. Please, load this man up with everything on the Whole 30 shopping list. Sooner rather than later.

Interesting. I'll have to keep some of these ideas in mind. My husband (56 years old) has always struggled with being underweight, and nothing has ever helped. 

14 hours ago, JanellaR said:

Interesting. I'll have to keep some of these ideas in mind. My husband (56 years old) has always struggled with being underweight, and nothing has ever helped. 

See Bear. <<< Those muscles are real steel. Built by hard work and good food. He wouldn't be able to lead his crew without them. He can pick up one man under each arm. He's had to hold another man 300 ft off the ground until help could come. Young rookies with protein powdered gym generated muscles have not been able to stand up or cut the butter to what years of good food and daily hard work can do. They've tried.  Bear is a legend in his line of work. For real. 

38 minutes ago, MeadowLily said:

See Bear. <<< Those muscles are real steel. Built by hard work and good food. He wouldn't be able to lead his crew without them. He can pick up one man under each arm. He's had to hold another man 300 ft off the ground until help could come. Young rookies with protein powdered gym generated muscles have not been able to stand up or cut the butter to what years of good food and daily hard work can do. They've tried.  Bear is a legend in his line of work. For real. 

??

It takes practice and consistency to build up appetites for real foods that add a true measure of good health that lasts a lifetime. Day by day, month by month and year by year. The gains from protein powders are temporary. The results from whole foods are soooo worth it. 

Even those with a genetic fast metabolism can make gains with whole foods. You have to go slowly, and lifting all of the heavy things as you tool along.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/14/2017 at 8:49 PM, PirateKATS said:

My boyfriend and I are wanting to start the Whole30 together but he fears loosing weight during it.  He is about 6'0 and 130lbs. He has been trying for years to gain weight but struggles with it even with weight gain protein powders.  He is an ICU nurse and often doesn't get the opportunity to eat and heavily relies on some type of protein drink to keep his daily intake up. Yes he does eat when he is off work more than I can sometimes keep up with. He has an extraordinary metabolism.  

Can anyone suggest a good protein powder he can have on the whole30? or possible options that are high in calories that he can eat while on the go in a hectic pt care area? It would need to be things that can't easily spoil aka keep in his pockets for hours at a time without refrigeration. 

You can't have protein powder on the Whole 30. I honestly am not sure he should do this. He is already really underweight. I would consult a doctor first. 

• Moderators
18 hours ago, TeachChristina said:

You can't have protein powder on the Whole 30. I honestly am not sure he should do this. He is already really underweight. I would consult a doctor first. 

Compliant protein powders are hard to find and smoothies are discouraged but it's not against the rules if you can find a compliant protein powder (which are usually egg white and are disgusting).

• 2 months later...
On 12/25/2017 at 7:37 PM, Bec Gilbert said:

beef collagen based proteins? like ATP noway protein? I know you can buy it unflavoured as a basic beef collagen protein powder also. 

I just googled this and the only thing I could find was a chocolate one that had stevia. Unless you have some sort of specific reason why you need to supplement your meals with smoothies, smoothies or protein shakes are not recommended. (I know some folks who've had weight loss surgery just can't physically eat enough protein, but drinking it is less problematic).

Archived