Binge eating and re-starting Whole30

5280sarah

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

@Dragonslayer I’m glad that you are being kind to yourself, stress is a really difficult feeling to overcome. Enjoy your holiday with the loved ones.

@hmg1993 thanks for your testimony, I’ll keep it in mind. 

@littleg I agree with you, if having some of this delicious holiday food will make you feel happy so don’t hold back. I’m already planning Christmas dinner and it’s not going to be w30. 

Have anyone heard of Dr Jason Fung? He defends intermittent fast, but I really liked his explanation of fructose and how it can be bad for us if not in moderation. 

Today’s lunch was just roasted broccolis, zucchini and onions. Saving space to have a second lunch during the nfl games since can’t have popcorn =/ 

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Pandora I have been reading a lot about fructose lately actually. As it relates to my moms situation with cancer and it’s effects on the liver. I’m not sure what to believe completely at this point so I’m doing more research, but it does seem like large amounts of fructose even from whole fruits is hard on the liver. And it’s interesting her doctors basically advised she follow what is essentially a Whole30 diet with limited fructose. It’s good though actually because she was so overwhelmed with the thought of it so it will be great that I can eat the same way with her and teach her all I’ve learned from this experience! 

Woke up feeling better than expected and thankful for all non food related things. My stress eating, weight gain, and loss of control recently is unfortunate and I’m working on it, but I’m still giving myself some grace and know it’s all gonna fall back into a “happy place eventually.” It’s already so nice having family here and it’s not going to stop until after Christmas so I want to embrace the time I have with everyone (especially my mom when she comes soon) and really try to not even think about food. I’ve got a wedding trip next week and then constant parties, family visits, etc until New Years so I’m just gonna do my best, eat what makes me feel good, not worry about counting my days of “perfection” right now, and just continue trying to be mindful and balanced. The holidays are tough, but it’s not about food. It’s about being with loved ones and that’s going to be my focus. Hope everyone has a delicious day! 

Great mindset @Dragonslayer!  Happy Thanksgiving everyone.  I am thankful for a roof over our heads and food on the table and health.  All things too easily taken for granted.  It's so easy to get consumed by our battles with food but in the grand scheme of things it's hardly a blip, @Pandora  Will read the Jason Fung article.  Thank you. @littleg Whipped cream is so good!!!  I'm making a version with coconut cream.  Works out as my niece is allergic to dairy.

Checking on on a cold Saturday morning to see how everyone is doing.  I'm realizing that the holidays are inherently stressful and that they bring up a lot of emotions.  Unexpectedly too.  I'm trying hard not to eat those emotions!  Made it through Thanksgiving and now onto Day 14.  Need to make some tweaks like cutting down on fruit and dried fruit.  Made a big fruit salad for dessert that had dried figs in it, which definitely made my cravings sing and same with an amazing turkey curry I made last night that had raisins in it.  But being aware is half the battle I think.  

@hmg1993 sounds like you are doing awesome! Don’t eat the emotions. I did it two days ago and totally regret it. They taste good for about 30 seconds, and permanent tiger blood tastes so much better! You have to beat my 14 days! Show us all how it’s done and keep going. I know you can do it! 

Well after a foggy sugar filled few days, I’m back to day 2. Yesterday I got back on track. Didn’t post about it but thanksgiving was really upsetting for me. I binged all day while doing all the food shopping by myself, ate a bag of Tate’s gluten free double chocolate chip cookies (taste amazing but 1 is worth it, the whole bag most certainly isn’t), a pint of So Delicious Mocha Almond Fudge almond milk ice cream, a bag of Jackson’s honest sweet potato chips, some Justin’s peanut butter cups, and half a bag of Late July brand tortilla chips (those are actually really good with good ingredients- for future food freedom knowledge). This was all after a huge breakfast at my favorite restaurant where it all started. My fiancé and I decided to let ourselves have the biscuit on the side which is no big deal for him (he’s been gluten free for 3 months now) bc he doesn’t have food addiction, but for me sent me into a frenzy. I ate a huge plate of everything I normally wouldn’t. Anyways, I was so sick and full by dinner time that I had to fake my happiness all through cooking and then made a small plate that I couldn’t even touch at dinner. Thankfully there were so many ppl that no one noticed I didn’t eat and put my food back in secret. Saddest thanksgiving in terms of food that I can remember. I so wished to be sharing the happy eating moments, but instead I was miserable and waiting for it to be over. It was really nice to be with family though, so I just focused on that and ignored the food side of it all for the rest of the night. I reflected over it all yesterday, journaled, read so much from Melissa’s books, and came to some conclusions. 

I forgot that I have always had seasonal affective disorder at this same time every year. No excuse, but explains some of my added moodiness, stress, weight gain, etc recently. It’s also weird how every chapter I read from FFF seems to be mirroring exactly where I am right now. Yesterday the chapters were about dealing with the holidays and added stress in your life. She says to think about whether doing a reset will make you more or less stressed during a time like this, and to decide what’s best for you. Well I decided trying to have a perfect reset is definitely not best for me, but eating strict Whole30 on all the days that aren’t special events, occasions, or holidays is definitely best. It gives me direction, control, and something to focus on that makes me feel Good. If I give up and say screw it, I will just feel out of control. And my body and mind feels best eating Whole30 foods. So I’m continuing to do “mini resets” all through this next month, while trying (key word trying) to practice my “worth it” decisions on the special days. Having a goal and keeping my body full of clean foods is what I know will help eventually reduce my stress, so I’m sticking to it. Mostly because when I thought about it, I just want to. I don’t want to eat cinnamon rolls today. I don’t want to stop eating Whole30. I really love it and it is actually becoming a habit in many aspects. There are the times I relapse and let my dragon take over, but deep down I just simply want to keep doing this. Perfection will not be the goal, but consistency will, and I will be kind to myself and have realistic expectations during this next month. 

I have a wedding next week in Chicago. Everyone is already talking about Chicago dogs and which pizza place we should go to. Am I stressed? Oh yeah. I’ve been worried about it for weeks. But I’m just deciding now to not think about it until the moment. 

Meliss has a great tool to use during stressful times. Just take it one meal at a time. Say “for just this one meal, I must eat Whole30. Then if you want to eat something else the next meal or tomorrow, do it.” And then say that to yourself for each meal following. One meal at a time, one day at a time.  So I’m only thinking about my meals today, and I’ll make my decisions about Pizza and hot dogs when that day comes. It’s too overwhelming to think about the future so much. I need to practice being more present. 

Anyways, sorry for the rant. I always feel so inspired after reading her stuff, and I’m always super clear minded and sure of my goals the few days after a binge. Now I just need to keep that going in the days and weeks after! I’m back to work today, should be busy and a good distraction. Made a sheet pan of veggies last night, have some leftover venison and turkey, and I’m just happy to be feeling good again today. 

Hope you all have a good weekend and sorry for the epically Long post! 

@Dragonslayer  I love the idea of one meal, once choice at a time  Otherwise it can seem so overwhelming.  I've totally been there when I have been too full to have a normal family meal and it stinks.  But you've rallied brilliantly and your mind set is so good.  You've also inspired me to dive into FFF as I set of skimmed through it and I really need to sit down and read.  Just finished the Jason Fung article on fructose, which was eye opening.  About two years ago I was diagnosed with mild fatty liver which was so odd to me because I don't really drink and thought I had a super healthy diet.  Other than the tons of fruit.  Eye opening and time to edit out the mound of grapes that I think I deserve at the end of the day!

FYI, Chicago is also one of the healthiest food places too.  There are tons of really great places where you can find happy foods if you decide not to do pizza. They're really into the whole farm to table thing.  

Have a great day back at work!

I keep going back and forth with my thoughts these days. Yesterday I was being kind to myself and saying getting through the holidays “as best I can” and not going strict anymore is the way to go. Now today after reading more from Melissa’s books, I feel the opposite. I feel like I’m just telling myself that as an excuse bc this is hard. I looked back at my journal entries (I’ve journaled for like 2 years now in Microsoft Note on my phone- it’s awesome if you want a way to keep it electronically) and realized I’ve been on this off on pattern of trying Whole30 and failing after basically a week for 2 months now! When I saw how long it’s been the same off and on I just got pissed at myself. Before that, I had done my first Whole30 and extended to 60. I felt amazing and stuck with it even when it was tough. Now I feel like there is no reason I can’t get back to that strong mindset and dedication again, I’ve just been letting myself get lazy for 2 months. My view today is that I’ve taken a long enough break, realize I want to be back in that feeling great happy place, and the holidays should be no excuse to not keep working towards it as much as possible. I don’t need to eat pizza this weekend in Chicago. I don’t even WANT to. I just feel pressured to. I don’t need or want to eat pie on Christmas, I just worry my mom will be upset if I don’t eat her treats. That’s so silly though. She won’t care. Or probably notice if I even take a small piece and don’t end up eating it. I dunno, do you guys think I need to give myself the “tough love” and stop using my stress, holidays, etc as excuses, or am I being too hard on myself today? I really know deep down I want to keep working at this reset and do it full on. I just don’t know if waiting until after this month of special events and visits from family and friends is better or working through it will be a good challenge. 

10 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

I keep going back and forth with my thoughts these days. Yesterday I was being kind to myself and saying getting through the holidays “as best I can” and not going strict anymore is the way to go. Now today after reading more from Melissa’s books, I feel the opposite. I feel like I’m just telling myself that as an excuse bc this is hard. I looked back at my journal entries (I’ve journaled for like 2 years now in Microsoft Note on my phone- it’s awesome if you want a way to keep it electronically) and realized I’ve been on this off on pattern of trying Whole30 and failing after basically a week for 2 months now! When I saw how long it’s been the same off and on I just got pissed at myself. Before that, I had done my first Whole30 and extended to 60. I felt amazing and stuck with it even when it was tough. Now I feel like there is no reason I can’t get back to that strong mindset and dedication again, I’ve just been letting myself get lazy for 2 months. My view today is that I’ve taken a long enough break, realize I want to be back in that feeling great happy place, and the holidays should be no excuse to not keep working towards it as much as possible. I don’t need to eat pizza this weekend in Chicago. I don’t even WANT to. I just feel pressured to. I don’t need or want to eat pie on Christmas, I just worry my mom will be upset if I don’t eat her treats. That’s so silly though. She won’t care. Or probably notice if I even take a small piece and don’t end up eating it. I dunno, do you guys think I need to give myself the “tough love” and stop using my stress, holidays, etc as excuses, or am I being too hard on myself today? I really know deep down I want to keep working at this reset and do it full on. I just don’t know if waiting until after this month of special events and visits from family and friends is better or working through it will be a good challenge. 

Not to go all "Oprah" on you but only you can make the decision.  There are arguments on both sides and you have to decide what you think you can do.  Sometimes I make myself so stressed by sticking to the program that it becomes a trigger unto itself.  But when I do follow W30 I know I feel so much better.  So it works and the trick is the transition from that to a real food freedom situation.   I suspect mine would look a lot like the program albeit with maybe a little dairy and an occasional drink.   I have done W30s over holidays, vacations, business travel etc.  It's all doable.  It just takes planning so you don't feel deprived and you also need to be OK with letting people around you know what you're doing so they don't push food.  I've been open with friends and family that I am doing a W30 so I won't feel guilty if I don't take a treat and/or make them feel bad.  

Day 16 for me.  Waiting for that Tiger Blood to kick in but slowly feeling better.  It's interesting that it takes longer each time for that and my stomach to settle down.  Going so spectacularly off program in between definitely does a number on me.  Still not counting calories or weighing in, so that's a win although I did try on clothes yesterday and didn't feel a difference and immediately got down on myself.  But then i thought how ridiculous I was being and moved on.  Hopefully I can stay that way.

Happy Monday everyone!!

@hmg1993 very well put. Sometimes you need Oprah haha. Thanks for the advice. I thought about it last night and woke up just so sure that I want to keep working towards the strict and complete reset. No cheats, no trying to have worth it foods yet. I’m just not ready for that yet, and if I try to work on it during the holidays before I have my tiger blood and before I’ve gotten to a confident and clear place where I know I can start reintroducing, I know I’ll just end up getting back into an even worse binge cycle. I need to be real with myself. I’m just not ready for anything but Whole30 right now. And I truly want to keep doing it so I’m just gonna keep trying. But with way more tough love. I need to be harder on myself now. I know I can do this since I’ve done it once before. So I guess I’m back to another Day 2 today! I started a new written journal last night separate from the one on my phone/computer. Hoping it helps me solidify in my mind that my last 2 months of ups and downs is over and this new journal and new dedication with new serious intentions is real. I know I probably always say this when I restart and seem so sure, but I’m going to really focus on all my excuses this time and not let any of them ever be ok or reasons to stop. I read a ton of forum posts last night from other people and really realized, sometimes I feel like this is harder for me than other people and that I have some kind of special problem. Really though I don’t and it’s not. The things other people talk about struggling with and what they go through is no different. I’m not special and this is not harder for me than anyone else. I just need to buck up and be as strong as others are, like you @hmg1993! 16 days is amazing, and I can’t believe you still haven’t counted at all! That is truly awesome and such an accomplishment. I’ve actually found myself going back to counting recently with all my cheats etc and need to get that out of my head. Keep rocking it, you are my inspiration! I got up early this morning to make a sheet pan real quick for the day bc we don’t have leftovers. And got some hard boiled eggs going to make a quick and hopefully delicious avocado egg salad in collard wraps for breakfast. 

I really hope this time Is the real turn around. I won’t say it definitely will be, but I’m going to work extra hard this time and be way more hard on myself with allowing my thoughts to control me. 

Have a great Monday everyone! 

• Whole30 Certified Coach

@Dragonslayer Been a rough week huh...?  But it sounds like you've set a goal that you've come to after some serious reflection and I hope that you keep going for another 28 days :) 

@hmg1993 Way to go through Thanksgiving!  How did you find out about the fatty liver?  I've listened to Fung's stuff about fructose and some other "experts" who say that fruit (whole, not dried) doesn't cause the same issues.  But, like you, 2 lbs of grapes isn't unheard of.  For many days in a row... I'd be interested to find out if I'm doing some damage.  

I ate a bit too much on Thanksgiving.  I suspected I would.  BUT I didn't beat myself up as badly as I usually do the day after.  Back on track now - the day after I so wanted to keep eating all the food... I kept using that "if in an hour your still want to" strategy and somehow it worked (plus a walk in the woods - exercise always makes me feel better). Once that day was over though I've been back in the mood for real food!  Even managed to make my paleo-ish (it has erythritol sweetener) pumpkin crustless pie last 4 days :) 

Sounds like I need to find FFF in the library and do some reading!

Hey people,

sorry I didn’t check on you for so long, I went camping with my scouts this weekend.

@Dragonslayer I’ve been reading one of the Dr Jason Fung books and I really agree with him on this, see the picture. You can change the fast for the w30 for example. I think at this time of the year you can only do your best and doesn’t it matter if was a w30 perfect day or you have had some tortillas and cookies, that was the best you could do on that day, no regrets, no hard feelings on yourself. I know that you are a super strong woman and with all that’s going on in your life you are doing so great, don’t be sad or disappointed for some mistakes, just acknowledge that day as the best you could do and think ahead. Oh it’s great that you can help your mom with her diet, she will feel more confident doing it with someone. I just bought the purple cabbage, can you please tell me again how you make it?

Ps: as hmg1993 said only you can make the decision, but for me it’s really okay be more ‘relaxed’ for the holidays. Although I was wrong before about fruits and w30 =P

Im kind obsessed with the fructose right now that I check all nutritional labels not for calories but for fructose and fiber. I didn’t find a trustful information about exactly how much fructose is really healthy a day, google says 25-50 but some more serious websites say under 20. Does anyone know? 20 sounds really low don’t you think? 

@hmg1993 I’m glad you liked the article, he has a lot of talks on YouTube too if you are interested. I also do the chantilly coconut Cream, but maybe because there is no sugar it doesn’t grow? Is that the reason? 

A question about coconut, I should treat it as a fat right? Or like fruit and cut it out?

I’m a week free of fruits, except coconut, and my chocolate cravings are wayyyyyyy lower, I just think about it when I see it ( I see a lot tho cause I love to watch recipes videos, although I never make any) but even seeing it I don’t wanna have it so bad now, I think I might not want it at all. I want to start the reintroduction soon before all the parties have started so I don’t have to rush and can be aware at which food separated and at the same time I’m feeling soooo great and happy and with energy that I don’t wanna stop it neither to reintroduction, I guess I have the famous tiger blood. 

11E7E9E2-808A-437D-9500-98F8EA549DA4.jpeg

@Pandora yes coconut is definitely a fat. And a very good one. Thanks for the support. I’m definitely sure though even through today that I’ve just been giving myself excuses and it’s time to buck up. 

@littleg seems like you are doing awesome! And overdoing it on thanksgiving is like drinking water, everyone does it! Yes, rough week for me but I’m determined to snap out of it. And you and everyone else here are helping be my inspiration and help pushing me to keep going! 

1 hour ago, Dragonslayer said:

@littleg seems like you are doing awesome! And overdoing it on thanksgiving is like drinking water, everyone does it! Yes, rough week for me but I’m determined to snap out of it. And you and everyone else here are helping be my inspiration and help pushing me to keep going! 

Not really awesome... Thanksgiving was more on the binge side of the spectrum than the normal-overeating for a holiday... My goal is to make it til Christmas binge free!

@Dragonslayer  Thank you so much for the feedback.  Trying as hard as I can and totally get your decision.  I am doing this because I know that I am not yet capable of making smart decisions.  I need to get my mojo back.  Together we will do this!  @littleg I got the fatty liver diagnosis after some weird liver numbers in my blood work.  We then did an ultrasound.  No symptoms and it was classified as very mild but I was shocked because in general my diet is healthy, apart from the binges and I hardly drink.  After the diagnosis I stopped taking supplements and also ibuprofen (i used to take one before exercising because my knee hurt!).  But I didn't know about the fructose connection until the article that @Pandora  flagged. Thank you @Pandora for the YouTube tip and coconut is definitely a fat -- unless it's covered in chocolate in which case it's irresistible :)!

@Dragonslayer I’m glad you are determined and you will have our full support! 

Just dreamed that my friend was cooking to me but she used all my coconut cream this got me so mad. Lol

@hmg1993 no problem, i Love to discover relevant information and share it. In this line of Dr Fung there is also Dr Robert Lustig, I saw some of his talks on YouTube. The one that I found really interesting was Sugar: the bitter truth that explains a lot of chemistry and after that I saw the The Complete skinny on obesity. Hahaha I wished I could have some cocoa here to mix with my coconut but not really anymore.

@littleg I’m sure you can do it till Christmas! Go for it. 

Good morning! Lots going on in my head today so I need to vent before I even get my day started. I have the day off which is a much welcomed break from wearing ski boots! I’m heading to the gym first thing because I know it’s going to help get me in the best mindset for today. I have to go to Denver for an appt at David’s bridal... this is my form of ultimate wedding Hell haha. The lady who is making my dress (redesigning my moms for me) is forcing me to go and try on every style and send her pictures so we are both sure of what I want. I just want to punch her in the face for making me do this haha). Anyways, getting it over with and then making a WF and TJ run since it’s a good opportunity. But we all know my history there! I feel honestly so good about it today though. I’m still fresh into this first few days with a clear head so I’m not too worried about my decisions and strength. I’m just excited to buy mass amounts of Whole30 compliant bacon and breakfast sausage bc I can’t get any in my town haha. The other thoughts are Mom related. She’s been sick all week and is supposed to have her first day of chemo today. Just hoping the docs can figure out why she’s getting ill all the sudden and that she can get through today as best as possible. I think this whole dress and City trip is actually the best distraction bc otherwise I would just be home alone worrying. 

Planning a big avocado egg salad breakfast to hold me over until after my appt, then lunch somewhere delicious to treat myself (Whole30 foods of course), and then shopping and coming home to make bacon burgers. That’s the plan and I’m sticking to it!! 

On 10/19/2017 at 8:56 PM, Dragonslayer said:

I can't tell you guys how comforting it is to see that others struggle with this just as I do. My binge eating disorder recovery has become such a huge part of my life but I have never had anyone I felt comfortable talking to or relating to at all. I talk to my boyfriend, but it's tough when he's trying to be supportive but I know he just doesn't get what it's like. So I really appreciate you all sharing your stories and thoughts. I'm on day 6 and I'm feeling great. My biggest help thus far that I am focusing on is making sure I get enough carbs each day, whether I get exercise or not. It seems to really be helping with the cravings and calming the dragon down a bit. It's still hard, but doesn't feel like a horrible battle. 

One thing I wanted to share is my evolution from my previous whole30. It was actually a whole62, and I learned a lot. So throughout the entire experience, each week when I got the urge to binge, I set a realistic goals for myself to get better and better each time, so I felt like I actually accomplished something and not like I completely "failed." For instance, the first week, I said, "ok, I know I am going to binge, so this week, I will only allow myself to have compliant whole30 foods with no sugary foods like dried fruit. So even if I lost control, I only let myself eat things like nut butters, compliant sweet potato chips, etc. Then, the next time I felt the binge coming on, I set a new goal. "Ok, this time, I will only let myself have whole foods, and nothing in a package (like whole fruit, whole sweet potatoes, whole almonds, etc.) I set these small goals every time and when I actually accomplished them, it felt really good like I was actually making improvements and gaining mental strength. I still binge now, but its been 2 months since my Whole62, and throughout the whole time off the plan, I still continued setting these small goals and I am constantly improving. I just started my 2nd whole30 this week (I am on day 6) and I decided it will be a whole100 for me, because I know that is how long it's going to take me to work on and conquer these binge and eating habits. Anyways, I just wanted to share that strategy because it's really working for me, and it's making the entire experience much more "doable." I think people with binge eating issues have to cater the whole30 to their own habits and needs, and even if we aren't following it "by the book", any little improvements are a major success. I find it's most important to set realistic goals for yourself that you know you can actually stick to. So don't lie to yourself, but also challenge yourself to take it one step further every week or so. 

I am feeling so great on day 6 already, and I am so happy I am finally getting back on track to continue my recovery. I always remind myself that this process is not linear. It will be a few steps back sometimes, but then many steps forward. Hard times after easy times, but also vice versa. It's just important to focus on the improvements we are making and the progress over time.

I don't know any of you, but I feel like we all know the exact emotions and feelings we all feel in the tough times and what its like to have this disfunctional relationship with food. A lot of people in our lives have no idea what some of us go through, but having support and a place to talk like this forum is really refreshing and I hope we can all learn and grow from each other. 

Wow, I wish I'd read this earlier! I didn't realize there were other people like me on Whole30 with binge-eating issues! I started into the binge-eating again on the third (maybe the second?) week and it was with salted pumpkin seeds and natural almonds in frozen (sugar-free, just the berries) blueberries with unsweetened applesauce--all Whole30 approved foods, I believe. I'd have that as my "dessert" even though I knew we were supposed to break ourselves of the dessert habit. And then I'd continue with the almonds and pumpkin seeds by themselves, self-flagellating myself the entire time (knowing that if you do that, you are supposed to enjoy it and not beat yourself up for doing it).

I am on Day 38 but our office Christmas party is med-Dec. so I am reintroducing (slow roll) foods starting today in anticipation of eating my old favourites at the party. I really want to use Whole30 as my baseline once I get back to eating the non-Whole30 foods at social engagements, because it finally made me start feeling so much better (just this last week), and my habits have changed for the better (I now make and eat wholesome meals and look forward to them, although hate the time-commitment in prepping, cooking and cleaning). I'm scared that I will easily fall into my old habits but I'm hoping not. I love the fact that this forum is always available for support!

19 hours?! @hmg1993that’s insane! I can’t imagine being that tired and not craving all the sweets. You are a champ! I had a good day. All good eating behaviors, and even let myself have the one thing I was craving all day, the Go Raw brand choco crunch coconut crisps, and didn’t freak out after. If you haven’t tried, they are so delicious. And no sugar. Just coconut, cacao, and coconut nectar. The nectar is Whole30 compliant right? I didn’t actually check that but assumed it is. @SugarcubeOD am I wrong? I really hope not. I know it Probably not the best choice because I guess they are kind of like a snack/dessert, but I ate them with my lunch not separately, and stayed very mindful and in control. @*KG38 days is awesome! Good for you. Don’t stress about the party too much. Just eat what you feel comfortable and safe with. 

Hi friends - sorry for being MIA. I've had my mother in law here for the past 10 days. I adore her but it's hard work to entertain someone all the time while looking after kids. My husband travels for work so has been here a little bit but it's mainly been me and her. As I said, I really like her and feel close to her but I am naturally an introvert so find it very tiring to have to talk to someone all of the time. I am already slightly energy depleted as I had a week of 2 sick kids followed by my MIL arriving and then thanksgiving break. the kids are now back in school and I have time during the day but I am still entertaining my MIL while trying to get stuff done. She leaves later this week. My eating has been less than stellar I'm not going to lie. I need to do some serious reflection. Not so much bingeing but just bad choices and not eating stuff that makes me feel good. It's amazing to me that I am not able to learn from these experiences. I got the results of a blood test back and I am VERY reactive to gluten (no big surprises there). I thought that once i had the result back that it would be easier to avoid it but once again having my MIL here seems to throw me off track as she is cooking with flour etc but also is very dismissive of what she calls "fussy eating'. There is also part of me that wants to eat ALL the food when she is here just as my own mini form of "me time" and making myself feel better. Ridiculous sounding as I write this. 

@Dragonslayer sending positive thoughts to you and your mom and hoping she is feeling better soon. Hope your dress appointment went great and you enjoyed your trip into Denver. 

@Pandora I've been doing some research into Dr Fung too. Funny because my husband started to do intermittent fasting and I thought I'd try it out a couple of times. I'm not necessarily fasting but it fits pretty well with my eating patterns as I eat dinner with my kids at around 5 then have my evening (where I don't eat), then sleep and then wake up and eat around 9am which once again suits me. I have to take a thyroid medication anyway which means I can't eat right away. I thought I would hate it as usually I am counting down the time until I eat breakfast but actually I really like it and I noticed a huge difference in my hunger levels and sugar cravings. I also felt less inflamed in my joints and less puffy overall. It's difficult to describe but I kind of like it. I'll keep you all posted!

Anyway - just wanted to drop in and say hello. I've still been reading all your posts but I haven't had a lot of time to reply. Sending you all positive thoughts!

@Dragonslayer Glad the shopping went well.  Hope the dress stuff was ok as it could be :) When is the wedding?

@hmg1993 19 hours.  That sounds terrible!  I hope you have some down time coming to make up for all this work time!  

@5280sarah Glad to see you back!  This is going to sound so silly... but I really struggle with evening eating.  Breakfast and lunch I eat, I'm done, go on with my life.  Evenings I beat a path to the fridge once I'm done with dinner.  Right now little man goes to sleep at 6 so we do bath at 5:30 and then hubs and I eat after.  We are moving in a little over a month and little guy will be 1 and we'd like to start having dinner with him.  Which means eating at 5.  This is scary for me because it lengthens the amount of time I have to munch... what do you do after dinner so that you don't want to eat more?  Was this a pattern change for you or your natural tendency?  When you do this you are counting the IF as 6 PM or so until 9 AM?  Oh, and maybe it got lost in all the threads - but when did you start your kids on skis? :) You know, I need the important answers in life ;)

@*KG - hi!

Just wanted to thank all of you for the encouragement! I suspect 38 days isn't enough to break a lifelong habit of binging but I sure had hoped to break the dessert habit. Oh well, I suppose frozen berries, unsweetened applesauce, and nuts ain't so bad...but then I start eating the nuts even after the dessert is done. The weird thing is: even before Whole30, I always craved nuts! For bkfst, lunch, AND dinner. Then, a friend of mine thought it was because I didn't have enough fat or protein in my diet. But I do now, and plenty of both, so I wonder why this craving still persists, even during Whole30, which is supposed to stop cravings. Am I deficient in something? Any ideas?

Also, the Whole30 is supposed to help with inflammation. I also have a hot cup of turmeric (supposedly also good for fighting inflammation) and water, with ground pepper (supposedly good for absorption of the turmeric), yet I developed a new calcified nodule (I have osteoarthritis) on my finger during Whole30! What's that all about?!

Welcome @*KG, I think we are in a similar path right now, today is also my day 38 and I want to start my slow reintroduction before all the celebrations started, but because I feel so great on w30 I kind of don’t wanna stop it. Lol. I had a lot of cravings before w30, the biggest were bread, cheese, pasta and CHOCOLATE, and during my 28 days in I completely stopped wanting bread, cheese and pasta cause I didn’t have anything similar to it, but I had fruits all those days, a lot of bananas with cinnamon too, more than one per day, I thought during this time that The fruits would actually help me change my desire from chocolate to fruits, but on day 28 I realized that If I didn’t cut the fruits completely I wouldn’t achieve my goal on the chocolate cravings, and I was unbelieved that I could ever stop wanting chocolate but today after 10 days without any fruit I did stop my craving. I don’t know if it’s forever, and for sure it’s gonna come back during this holiday time cause I’m not policing myself during the celebrations, but at least I know what I have to do next w30 to get back on track. @hmg1993 thanks for that, encouraging me with your experience. 

@Dragonslayer wishing the best for you mom, is she better today? How was your trip to Davis and also WF and TJ? I know you have a lot of strategies when going to the groceries, but when you start the binging mode have you ever tried to choose one treat for example chocolate (for me is almost always chocolate) buy it go have it in your car or during browsing a different store like for clothes and after 30 minutes go back to the grocery? I was wondering if it would work, I saw this doctor on YouTube explaining about satiety so Idk, lol,  I’ll keep this strategy in mind the next time that I need it.

@5280sarahwow, sounds like a lot of stress going on right there, I’m also introvert and don’t like visitors for more than 2 days. Lol.  I love to fast, it’s so natural to me, exactly the same here it controls my hunger and my sugar cravings, what I do is to have dinner until 7, no later than 8 tho and then my next meal will be lunch, I can’t have breakfast ever cause this one meal open my appetite like no other and makes me overeating and binge sometimes. So it’s 16 h everyday of IF and sometimes I like to do 24 or 48 h, 24 it’s more difficult than the 48 for me, but if doing the 48h after 24h I start having salty water and everything goes super cool the best part is that I always think that I’m gonna eat a lot after 48h but it’s the opposite, I can’t have the same amount I’m used to it’s gonna be like half of it. 

@littleg the meal that I struggle the most is also dinner (because I don’t have breakfast) it’s when my conscience says to not have to much but my mouth doesn’t agree, I’m now gonna try the wait 20 minutes for second plate strategy that I heard from a dr on YouTube. I don’t read marksdailyapple, but I’m googling it right now, thanks for the advice. 

Archived