Binge eating and re-starting Whole30

5280sarah

@littleg Can you remind me of the name of the habit book?  Sounds like it would be a good read for me.  Am ordering up your tea on Amazon.  Need!

@Dragonslayer  Thank you!  I am excited about progress.  Slow but sure but the not counting is huge and I never thought it possible.  Yes I still wrestle with the mean girl voice that says "you're out of control" but I am able to ignore for now.  

So many thanks to both of you for the support!

Today was a loooooong day.  Office at 6am home at 8:30 p.m.  Ick.  But made it through with good choices.  Went a little over fruit allowance but not stressing ....  Today's food follows. Sharing a recipe with gratitude for the acorn squash inspiration ....

Omelet with tomatoes and spinach with avocado

Half a sliced apple with six almonds

Baked chicken, roasted veggies and mayo (so over this lunch!)

Fuji apple

Chicken baked with fennel and fingerlings.  This is super easy.  Slice fennel bulb and put in bottom of casserole dish.  Drizzle with tablespoon olive oil and then add two chicken breasts.  Nestle 5-8 fingerling potatoes alongside that you've cut in half lengthwise.  In a separate bowl whisk together 1/4 cup olive oil, 1-2 tablespoons of compliant grain mustard and juice from half a lime.  drizzle over chicken and veggies and cook in oven at 375 for about 35-40 mins.

Strawberries and grapes (although not my usual 4lbs, probably a cup in total)

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Whole30 Certified Coach

@hmg1993 4lbs of grapes - I think we may put the grape business out of business with our new efforts :) That recipe sounds good!  Two difficult days at the office without binge eating or counting!  You should write yourself a note about that.  That way next time you find yourself in a difficult/stressful work day you can look back and KNOW that you can do it because you have DONE it!  After my last binge I wrote myself a note.  This one was more about how the hung over feeling the next day really makes me not be as present and as good of a mom as I could be if I didn't feel bloated and achey and sad... so more about not doing it for the little guy than for me.  So far its helped - I have looked at it a few times.  2 weeks today since a binge.  Oh, the book, I almost forgot.  The Power of Habit by Duhigg.

@Dragonslayer Glad to hear you had a calm mind day.  They are so much better than the food related hamster wheel thoughts!  That acorn squash recipe sounds good!  I've yet to do a stuffed squash recipe.  I need to try one.

Good morning! 2 weeks @littleg that’s awesome! I’m jealous. I’m at day 6 but can’t wait to get to 2 weeks! I’m probably going to be posting morning and night for the next week to stay focused and accountable. I’ve got work for a few hours tonight and then half day tomorrow and long days this weekend. It’s our training and orientation days for the start of the new season, which means every single meeting has food. Tonight- Pizza. Tomorrow- doughnuts. Both days this weekend- breakfast burritos and cookies. I’m also in charge of helping get the food organized etc so I’ll be around it a lot! I’m feeling confident now and I’m gonna bring my own food of course, but what I’m worried about is my mind getting stressed and anxious around it and letting it affect me into next week. I’m just going to try and stay calm, tell myself the reasons non of those foods are worth it, and focus on how strong I am and the positives of not giving in instead of my anxiety. I’m gonna make sure the foods I take are extra delicious so I don’t feel deprived... sooo @hmg1993 any more recipe ideas you have would be much appreciated! I was thinking I could make Whole 30 versions of the foods that I will be around as a reminder that mine are better (:P) but I’m not sure. Anyways, hope you all have a good day full of NO counting, stressing, or cravings! 

• Moderators
14 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

Real good day today. My mind was much calmer than anticipated and I really tried to focus on my positivity and body awareness. I think it’s a huge part of reducing stress and anxiety which will in turn reduce cravings. 

Made a delicious lunch. Roasted acorn squash then stuffed it with creamed spinach with roasted garlic, one tbsp of mayo and 2 tbsp coconut cream, sautéed mushrooms and chorizo sausage. Definitely a keeper! 

Tonight we had bacon burgers with a mixture of regular and purple potato fries. Tried to use roasted eggplant as a “bun” but it had an awful bitter almost chemical taste. I didn’t really notice until the second piece so I hope we don’t get sick! It’s weird bc it’s organic and wasn’t even close to being over ripe. Ever happened to anyone? Anyways, the meal was amazing otherwise. It was hard to have just one plate with this meal, I almost went back for seconds but I stayed strong and just said wait it out and see if you are still hungry. Definitely a good choice now that I’m relaxing on the couch and the food is settling. 

Hope everyone else had a good day! @hmg1993 I’m even more aware of my subconscious counting now bc I think of how awesome you are doing and how much it really does help to not count! Hope you keep it up! 

Here's a good tip for Eggplant :)

SALTING: Slice the eggplant, then sprinkle salt (coarse salt is best because less is absorbed) onto one side. Leave it for 30 minutes, to allow the solanine (a chemical found in the flesh) to leach out, and brush off with a damp cloth.

@Dragonslayer If you are in charge of food could you alter the options at all?  You can't be the only one who would enjoy some fruit or a veggie tray or something.  If there is hot food could you grill burgers?  The break room in the hospital is always full of crap but if a family drops off a fruit platter instead - poof its eaten instantly.  

Unfortunately, I am just a set up person. All of it is already ordered. And of course they didn't ask if anyone would want anything different. Its all good, there is literally always food like that around at work throughout the season, so I just need to start getting used to it and finding my ways of gaining control around it. Although the ski patrollers I work with are very active and in shape, they are not the healthiest. In fact, they are incredibly unhealthy. Processed everything, junk food, soft drinks all the time, etc. and always for everyone to share on the table. I am known as the one who eats "bird and rabbit food" and "weird stuff in jars" haha. I am not bothered by it at all anymore (it used to make me feel like an outcast), and its all just joking in good fun, but it definitely doesnt make controlling my cravings or behaviors any easier. I guess I have to look at it this year as a good challenge to help gain a stronger confidence in myself and my choices to build my food freedom. It's been easier lately too since I have been eating like this for a while because people know I try to avoid the junk food now.  BUT, I do plan to bring in healthier whole30 compliant foods this year to share as well, because there are definitely some people who constantly ask me questions and I can tell a handful of them are intrigued by the eating style. So hopefully I can educate a few people and share some of knowledge I have gained. 

I figured as much :) Probably stereotyping but I was a NYer who came west each year to ski...  The ski patrol folks I remember seemed more like "beer drinkers" than "butternut squash and kale frittata eaters".  

@littleg I will write myself a note.  I may get myself a non food treat this weekend. A bowl for my grapes perhaps!  @Dragonslayer  on the case with recipes!  I'm big into sheet pan dinners as they're super easy!  Protein, veggies and potatoes.  Add olive or coconut oil and you choice of herbs and spices plus something like a vinegar or grain mustard and then bake up in the oven turning once.  A great combo is chicken sausage, peppers, carrots, sweet potato, onion, oregano, basil, olive oil.

Another 15 hour day  in books.  No tracking!  Woo hoo

One egg and three whites scrambled with avocado and zucchini

Half a banana and an apple

Salad with chicken, sweet potato, tomatoes, carrots, cauliflower, avocado, arugula and balsamic vinegar

Home to best ever dinner cooked by husband -- pan fried sole with dill and pine nuts, roasted sweet potato wedges served with a dollop of my mayo.  Endive and tomato salad on the side.

I hope ski patrol goes well! 

@littleg that stereo type is VERY true haha. @hmg1993 definitely into the sheet pan idea. Don’t do that much. Will try it tomorrow I think. I’m so happy you are doing so well with your not counting! Keep it up and soon it will be a new and good habit! 

My night at work was good. Pizza everywhere but honestly I didn’t even want it. It looked greasy and gross. And I thought to myself, “if I was in my food freedom stage right now, would this Pizza be “worth it”?” My answer was definitely not, and it felt good to actually look at a food I would normally lose control with and make a thoughtful and sensible decision about it. And then I reminded myself that if it wouldn’t be worth it in the future, then it’s definitely not worth it now. It was very easy to resist all the offers and explain why I wasn’t eating. That may not be the case for the next 3 days, who knows, but my confidence is at a high and I’m feeling good! One week binge free tomorrow for me.... it feels like a month though haha! 

6 hours ago, Dragonslayer said:

@littleg that stereo type is VERY true haha. @hmg1993 definitely into the sheet pan idea. Don’t do that much. Will try it tomorrow I think. I’m so happy you are doing so well with your not counting! Keep it up and soon it will be a new and good habit! 

My night at work was good. Pizza everywhere but honestly I didn’t even want it. It looked greasy and gross. And I thought to myself, “if I was in my food freedom stage right now, would this Pizza be “worth it”?” My answer was definitely not, and it felt good to actually look at a food I would normally lose control with and make a thoughtful and sensible decision about it. And then I reminded myself that if it wouldn’t be worth it in the future, then it’s definitely not worth it now. It was very easy to resist all the offers and explain why I wasn’t eating. That may not be the case for the next 3 days, who knows, but my confidence is at a high and I’m feeling good! One week binge free tomorrow for me.... it feels like a month though haha! 

way to go on a week without and for resisting the pizza!  i agree it's one of those foods that's rarely worth it!

So having a wobble this morning and writing about it versus acting on it for a change.  Was feeling good about a week of not counting calories and relatedly a week without binging.  Anyway, getting ready for work and trying on clothes and not liking  how i look in anything.  Nothing specific just feeling blah -- not helped my the fact that I look like a ring tailed lemur face-wise due to lack of sleep.  Sure enough my mean girl kicks and my mind goes to not counting clearly making me gain weight, or even worse, why bother because it's clearly not working for you ... have a chocolate bar or go wild today.  It's so ridiculous I know.  But i am still so susceptible to the self esteem issues.  Outwardly I am a confident, successful woman but inwardly ..... it's exhausting.  Anyway, thanks for listening and as I write I am feeling less likely that i will act on any of the aforementioned impulses ....

@hmg1993 Don't do it!  The mean girl isn't right!  You were so happy in your post last night about making it a whole week!  The mean girl is afraid of losing control over you... so she is acting up ;) She won't like it if you learn to ignore her.  BOB talked about this a lot - that animal brain sensing that it isn't going to get its way anymore (binge eating and the pleasure that lasts for a hot second when you do it) so it kicks ramps up efforts to pleasure seek.  Instead of using the time and money to binge could you go to a makeup place and find a product or two to help with the eye circles?  I did that after my mother passed away unexpectedly (I looked like I had been in a fight the circles were so bad...) and her tips really helped! Or go treat yourself to some new clothes that do make you feel good?  Or shoes.  Shoes are always good :) 

@Dragonslayer Nice job on the pizza.  Save the 'worth it' for some oven fired fancy shmancy pizza place - not some delivery stuff that has congealed cheese sitting on a table during a training session!  I hope the confidence keeps up and this weekend is a 3 day success story!

Do you really like pizza? Have you tried these?  http://www.justjessieb.com/2014/08/paleo-pizza-bites.html I've made some of her other recipes and they've always been good.  If you do dairy I bet a little cheese in them would make them even better ;)

Yesterday was a sort of weird day for me.  I've noticed two things in my eating history... I have legitimate hungry days.  They often follow a series of "good" days (where perhaps I under eat? Not sure).  Getting too hungry (long space between meals) can be trigger-y for me.  So yesterday was a hungry day.  I woke up with my stomach growling, didn't feel full after breakfast and then got stuck out of the house for hours and didn't eat lunch until 2:30 (breakfast was around 9).  I was definitely binge-y feeling yesterday afternoon.  I was munchy cooking dinner (had half bag of carrots) and ate a GIANT plate of food for dinner (broccoli, butternut squash and turkey burger - there was some butter on the broccoli, mayo on the turkey burger).  I ate a little too much coconut butter while cutting up a new container of it [side note: do you guys eat coconut butter?  This option is literally 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of most brands out there] BUT it didn't turn into "oh, its been two weeks...".  I felt like a normal person with the munchies... like I kept eating because I had been hungry (though I no longer really was) but not a binge eater that was out of control.  Subtle difference but if you are a binge eater you know its different.  I was tasting my food, not shoveling it - I just ate too much.  This is something that down the road I hope I can work on a bit.  For some reason when I'm really truly over hungry (too long without eating, intense exercise, whatever) it seems that the full switch never flips.  No matter what I eat.  

I also made another new recipe.  We are doing something called baby led solids with the kiddo and from what I've read carbs are the things he needs the least because breast milk is so high in carbs.  Finding easy things to give him at meal times that aren't carbs isn't always easy :) So I made these.  http://mylovelylittlelunchbox.com/2015/01/08/broccoli-cauliflower-fritters/  I only used 16 oz total of veggies and I used maybe 1/4 c coconut flour instead of the regular flour and maybe 1/4 c parmesan cheese.  Used garlic powder and some dried shallots as well.  Pan fried them.  I thought they came out great!  

And, one of the happiest moments in my cooking life yesterday... since I load up baby g with fat as much as I can my cast iron skillet is finally almost non stick!  I used the pan to make myself scrambled eggs yesterday and they came out perfectly unstuck!  I'm wondering a little bit (fat phobia from the 80s here) if I routinely cook in cast iron with 1 tbsp or so of oil (vs my non stick pans where I use barely any) will it matter?  I am not afraid of fat.  I've gone through almost a whole jar of mayo since Monday... but I like to "enjoy" it.  You know, I want to taste it - not have it disappear into the background because I used it to grease a pan.  And I will admit I'm a little afraid to routinely use a full serving of fat to cook and then add more fat to the meal :/  Sorry.  Am I being crazy?

@hmg1993 stay confident today! Don’t get down on yourself. Lack of sleep will cause your emotions and thoughts to be all out of sorts. I try to tell myself when this happens, it’s not me thinking this, it’s just the tired me that thinks food and counting etc will help me be less tired and feel better because that’s the easiest and most comfortable thing to turn to right now. It’s hard to continue doing something you aren’t yet comfortable with when you are exhausted. But if you just get through today, even feeling a little bleh but not counting and staying mindful, I bet you will be so happy and proud tomorrow that you got through a tough day. It’s the little challenges and small wins that keep you going! 

@littleg Yes, I love Pizza. And will Totally be making those. They look awesome! I’m also gonna try those fritter things too. Sounds delicious and pretty easy to make. Thanks! As for the rest of your post, sometimes I wonder if we are all “meant for each other” in this forum hahaha. I have literally had all the same thoughts and experiences, down to the same oil scenario last night! I realized today is a full work day for me and I hadn’t made any food. So I started sautéing veggies in oil and then when I wanted to add some Asian flavor I was hesitant to make a sesame/coconut oil sauce because I already had a ton of fat. Then I tried to say “I’m crazy, make the sauce.” So I did. I only added a little bit of it, but I may add some more this morning after this post now haha. My cast iron recently became non stick as well, and it actually seems to work better than the non stick for everything at this point! I hardly clean it, usually just wipe it out or scrub with a little water if necessary, and it’s getting better and better each day! I’ve also had the same experience with the Munching but not bingeing. It’s happened a handle of times in the past few months, and although I assume in my head that I will soon lose control and start bingeing, I stay aware, fairly calm, and I don’t binge. Then I stop eating, tell myself ok you munched a lot but it’s ok, and then I just continue with my day/night. It’s a great feeling, but almost an uncomfortable one because I’m not used to it. It’s like our “true brain” that doesn’t want to binge is starting to poke its head out and be more present without us realizing it I think. When this has happened, I too thought it only seems to occur when I’m truly really hungry, and I only seem to have the binge cravings at this point when I’m NOT really hungry. Why? I have no idea. But I think continuing to eat this way is giving our brains a lot of good fuel and energy to help us think more clearly and act more in the ways we know we should because we aren’t fogging our thoughts with all the sugar and crap as much. That’s my hypothesis. But yes it’s very weird when it happens and I try to learn from it each time and really soak in the experience so I can try and repeat it in the future. Great job with Doing that and not bingeing! And I can’t imagine having to work to keep my own eating under control as well as worrying about the little one. Sounds so exhausting! But it seems like you are really on a roll and don’t stop now! I’m sure being 2 weeks in, your body is detoxed and your brain is very “clear minded.” Maybe soon you will get to the awesome “I feel amazing and this is totally worth it” phase! 

@Dragonslayer Glad I'm not alone :)  Do you remember in the habit book it talked about one of the main reasons why AA works for people is (1) the believe it can because they see other people there who have remained sober (2) they have people to lean on who really understand what it is like to be an abstaining alcoholic.  Personally, I'm not a fan of the AA rubric (probably because of what I read in Rational Recovery about it) and thus hated OA when I tried it a few years back.  BUT I think that having this little group is actually really great because you gals GET IT.  My husband is amazing and supportive and would do anything to help me.  But, he.does.not.get.it.  He has no addictions - smoking, alcohol, drinking (he drinks 1-2 beers a night but can cut that out at any time and has lots of times).  Someone without an addiction will never really understand that feeling of needing to binge/drink/smoke whatever. But seeing you guys succeed each day, struggle, have the same crazy thoughts I do (about the oil, or the clothes or the anxiety of going someplace with food...) I think this camaraderie is actually going to be really helpful...

Also, having the little guy around is good!  These two weeks have been because I want to do it for him.  I'm a stay at home mom at this point and after that last binge the day after was just hard.  Everything hurt, I was in a bad mood... I probably "momed" the same but I was on edge and I don't want to do that to him.  I want to be here, be present and not caught up in my head and I can only do that when I don't shove food down my pie hole the day before :) 

Anyway, here's to lots more weeks of rational thoughts, rational eating and nonstick cast iron skillets!

@littleg - I totally agree. I haven't been posting a lot because I have been overseas and then came back to Halloween madness and arranging parties for my 2 kids at their schools. I'm just getting back to my normal routines BUT I read every single one of the posts in this thread and feel so supported and understood. It's awesome. I too have been a chronic logger and have recently deleted MFP off my phone. I still find myself mentally totaling up my calories but I try to just stop myself and tap into my hunger cues instead. So far I am feeling great. I definitely ate more halloween candy than I would have liked but it did not feel binge like. Saying that I still felt the after effects of the sugar and did not feel great at all. It's a further reminder that you are what you eat! I love the meal ideas and the other tips that you have all been posting. So grateful for you all!

@5280sarah I also am still struggling with adding the calories and estimating in my head, but I’ve found if I purposely make a meal with an amount that i could never figure out the quantity, it actually helps me a lot. Like instead of using a measuring spoon for oils, mayo, etc, I just pour or glob with a spoon. For meats and other stuff, I am just trying so hard to not look at the nutrition label so I don’t even know the numbers. Or I’ll cut up the meat so that I can’t tell what the actual portion is that I’m eating. Also, glad you are still around! I hope you get back into the swing of things and start posting more on here with us! 

@littleg I totally agree with every thing you said. And yes that stuff from the book I think makes total sense too. So many times recently just thinking about you guys going through this too and knowing I can come here for support and understanding is so comforting and helps my confidence and strength... like right now actually. I just found out I have to stay at work until 8pm tonight and thought I was done at 4pm. I didn’t pack a dinner, so I’m purposely trying to eat a late lunch so I’m not starving later. But I had that moment of panic like “oh god I’m gonna be so hungry, I’m not prepared for this, and there is pizza and beer AGAIN tonight. But then I just thought, let me go take a quick break, post my thoughts, and just think this through. Reading your posts has just helped calm my mind, and then I just told myself, “one of the whole points of the Whole30 is to teach your body to burn fat (which mine definitely does at this point, so I should be fine for a few extra hours because I have the energy stored. And it’s not like I’m going to starve. I’ll just eat when I get home, and not assume that my only option is to give into the Pizza.” So I’m going into the afternoon with a much calmer mindset now. 

So yes, here’s to many more weeks of support, communication, sharing, growth, and success! I’ve never done anything like this with anyone else (only ever talked to my fiancé), and I’m absolutely loving keeping in touch with you guys and think it’s making a huge difference. So a big thank you and hope you all have a good rest of the day! 

@Dragonslayer @littleg @5280sarah  You all rock because you totally get it and it feels like such a supportive space here.  Thank you.  I never speak about this with anyone so this is such a help for me just to express how I feel with people that get it.  The not counting is definitely the right thing to do for me and the mean girl just needs to suck it.  I did resist the siren song of sticking my head in the fridge today and instead just accepted that I am tired and cranky and will only be more so if I succumb.  So no.  Food today follows

Omelet with one egg, four whites and tomatoes and spinach with tandoori and half an avocado

Big salad with chicken, avocado, tomato, carrots, cauliflower, cucumber, sweet potato and balsamic

Snack of two hard boiled eggs and a few almonds

Fridge leftovers -- dumped parsnips, carrots, brussel sprouts, chicken sausage and sweet potato on sheet pan with olive oil and smoked paprika. Topped off with mayo.  

TGIF.  A little stressed about tomorrow night as we're going out to super fancy restaurant and I worry about choices but I should just enjoy it, remember my rules and breathe.  Just downloaded the Power of Habit book so planning to dig into that too.

Has anyone read Gretchen Rubin's new book?

I tried the chicken and fennel tray bake that one of you posted here the other day and it was AMAZING. I've been trying to follow the advice to eat more fat and that calories won't make me fat. Easier said than done and I still find myself panicking if I total up the calories and it adds up to more than I would have allocated. But seriously my number is so arbitrary and I can totally attribute binge eating with when I eat lower calories so it definitely pays to eat more fat and generally eat more. In fact, when I started really bingeing again it was because I decided to count macros and eat all things in moderation. BIG MISTAKE. The person I used to calculate my macros did them so low that I was constantly hungry and the fat macros were so measly that I would use them up at breakfast. Looking back I have no idea what I was thinking but I panicked after I was putting on weight and was just desperate to lose it. I just don't think I am someone who can eat those things in moderation and even if I can I feel like crap for eating half of that stuff. Clearly cutting calories did not work for me and in fact took me down the wrong path as I would binge after several days of being on extremely low calories. I want to read the Taubes book that was recommended but I wasn't able to easily find it at the library so I watched a youtube video of him outlining his approach and it makes good sense. @hmg1993 I too have a meal out with friends tomorrow night (people that we don't yet know very well) and then a meal out with my cousin and her family Sunday night and I am already mentally preparing myself for that. It's silly really as it should be a fun experience. I get panicked around alcohol as I feel like I want to drink to be social but I don't really tolerate alcohol very well and it makes me really depressed and anxious. I like the buzz of drinking but it's not worth it for me. It's one of those things where I feel people really pressure me into drinking and I am not very good at standing my ground. I'm becoming better at making my one drink last all night or sometimes I tell people I am on a medication which makes me very intolerant to alcohol just to get them off my case! Thanks for the support ladies!

@5280sarah and @hmg1993 I feel the same about the restaurant and drinking issue. I always get nervous and try to look up the menu before I go so I can pre determine my choice and not have any panicked moment where I give in to something while I’m there. But just remember, even at the worst possible restaurant, you can always get something... side salad, a burger without bun, a plain baked potato, chicken breast and some sides etc. If I’m somewhere that really has basically nothing that suits me, I’ll just order something small and plan on eating more when I get home. And the drink thing I’ve gotten more used to over time but it’s really worked for me lately to just say “I’m doing this whole100 thing where I’m eating healthy and not drinking for a while, and everyone loses track of time over the days so when they ask again later I just say, “oh I’m still on my 100 day challenge thing.” But actually today at work, when multiple people asked “so what day are you on now?” I said “oh I dunno, after a while I felt so great and loved it so much that I decided I’m going to make this way of eating my lifestyle.” It felt so good to be kind of honest and just state my true feeling and not care if they judged me or not. It was very liberating and gave me actually more confidence throughout the day. And the responses I got from people were actually very surprising. “Oh that’s cool.” Or “ man you are so strong I could never avoid junk food all the time like that.” Being honest and proud of my choices is actually starting to feel good to share the more and more I do it. You should try it. It really works! 

Good morning friends! Just getting in a quick post before my crazy day. I’m teaching today so my mind should be totally occupied with thoughts other than food which I’m actually really excited about. I’ve had a lot of time off to work on my self but now it will be nice to be distracted for a bit. I’m bummed because I too was going to make the sheet pan bake with the fennel @hmg1993 and they don’t have any at the store! Oh well, I’m gonna try just some different veggies with it tonight. 

My new breakfast jam is a Cobb salad, I’ll be doing it again this morning. Hard boiled eggs, bacon, avocado, tomatoes, and a bed of greens with balsamic dressing. Oh and I’ve been sprinkling TJ everything but the bagel seasoning on it too. That stuff is like crack. It’s my new Dijon mustard (when in doubt, put it on everything :lol:). I’ve got a good lunch planned and I’ve been so surprised at how little I have craved the foods at work but I don’t even feel nervous about today either. I was considering just eating the inside of the breakfast burritos they will have today, but then I decided it’s just better to not even get near it. Sticking to my own foods and what I know makes me feel good. 

Anyways, just getting my head in the right place this morning and hope you all have a relaxing weekend! 

All this talk of restaurants... same boat here.  5 year anniversary coming up.  There is an amazing steak house near us that we got a gift certificate to when the baby was born.  Until going I didn't understand how a $50 steak could be any better than a grassfed tenderloin we grilled at home.  But now I do :) So we are going back.  I think fancy restaurants are the easiest - if you call ahead you can probably even customize a meal!  A place like Friday's or something, probably not :)  Anyway, my plan - we are splitting the most delicious wedge salad with bacon I've ever had, I'll get my tenderloin and a baked potato the size of my forearm.  And I'm going to enjoy it and put my fork down between each bite.  Maybe even split a small dessert or something.  But I'm going to be honest with my husband and say I might struggle after it and want to sneak off to the local ice cream store so don't let me out of your sight!  I'm not going to barely eat all day (how many times has this backfired for me...?).  When we went after the baby was born it was our first night out of the house in 4 MONTHS.  Oddly enough, those were the days my urges were almost not existent anyway, but I did totally fine.  Hoping for a repeat :)  Our anniversary is this coming Friday so I've got a week before we go - I'm hoping to be binge free 3.5 weeks at that point and I do NOT want to ruin that streak!  

@Dragonslayer Glad to hear your colleagues are curious and supportive!  Maybe you'll turn your ski resort into a paleo/kombucha drinking group of ski patrollers!  

@5280sarah Welcome back!  Glad to see you posting.  It is funny that saying "I don't really want to drink tonight" is not an acceptable answer.  In my circle saying you don't want to drink because you drank too much the night before is always ok.  Its like you have to make sure people know there is drinking going on before you are excused!  I hope your meal out goes well!  

@hmg1993 Even when your fridge is empty your meals sound great!  I tried parsnips last night because of you.  Forgot about them in the oven so they were a bit, um, crisp, but I'll try again!  Let us know how the dinner goes!

@Dragonslayer  I think the recipe works with any vegetable.  I bet parsnips would be good or parsnips and leeks.  Your cobb salad sounds divine and I clearly need to get some of that seasoning!

My menu for the week follows

Tonight we're going out.  The cliffhanger is will I allow myself a glass of wine?  I am ambivalent as I sometimes really miss it and in my food freedom i would allow myself 1-2 glasses a week.  We will see

Sunday I will make marinated flank steak and baked okra.  Marinade is cup of OJ, big dose of grated ginger, tablespoon sesame oil and quarter cup ume plum vinegar.  I let it sit in there for a day.  I will probably add a baked sweet potato

Monday I will make this never fail, quick dinner

http://grazedandenthused.com/balsamic-chicken-veggie-bowl-paleo-aip-whole30/

My beloved cooks on Tuesday and Thursday

On Wednesday i will make this

https://laughingspatula.com/greek-chicken-sheet-pan-dinner/

For my lunches I plan to cook up some hard boiled eggs and a couple of trays of roasted veggies.  About to go to food store so will see what looks good.  Hope everyone has a great day.  Getting hair done at last which will feel so good.  Starting to resemble a muppet

Archived