Raw vs Cooked.. Your opinions

I have been following the autoimmune protocol in hopes of healing my CFS/Epstein Barr. So far I have had good results, but have more healing to do. I eat a ton of vegetables and love to cook them all different ways, but I hear that raw has so much healing power. Should I be eating mostly Raw to heal even more or will I heal the same if I eat cooked or raw??

I love my cooked veggies!

coming from a traditional chinese medicine perspective (i'm a doctor of TCM), i'll weigh in on the side of cooked, at least for the majority of intake for the majority of people. the ideal preparation method and balance of cooked and raw of course depends on the individual, the time of day, the time of cycle, the time of year, and so many other factors (i.e., there's never one right answer for everyone or even for a single person over time). but for most folks, lightly steamed veggies are way easier on the digestion (and way more bio-accessible so far as actually using the nutrients). and in colder winter months, the intrinsic "warming", "nourishing" quality of foods is enhanced by slow cooking for a long time at a low temperature. i've treated a number of patients who have created or exacerbated digestive woes by doing the full-on raw thing.

Raw food does not merit discussion in It Starts With Food.

I have a friend who is into raw food. He also thinks it is a good idea to grind and eat the egg shells from pastured chickens to increase his calcium intake.

Just so all the invaluable mods know, Dr Drew Pinsky is under the impression that Paleo stems from the raw food movement. I sent a polite email suggesting he contact people like Dallas, Melissa, Robb and Chris. I included contact info but I doubt he went to the trouble.

Thanks for feedback...

Tom: does it not merrit discussion because it simply doesn't matter if it is raw or cooked as long as you follow the ISWF guidelines you will do good for your body?

I think that is what he means Helene. In other words cooking it does not mean it's less healthy. Just eat a lot of them raw or cooked but maybe lay off the ground up egg shells. :)

This egg shell thing is grossing me out. Some of mine have something that looks suspiciously like poop on them. I throw mine in the compost pile or crumble them around the base of my tomato plants. Raw veggies can be problematic if you have reflux issues. I prefer mine cooked unless I'm having a salad. Then again, grilled veggies are great on a salad.

Add me to the cooked camp, but to varying degrees. Kale and collards only have to be boiled for 3 minutes in salt water to make them perfect. Broccoli steamed for 8 mins( from frozen), etc. I have my set times of perfect doneness for each. The only things I can eat raw are a few salad items.

Well I was a raw food vegan for a couple of years. I feel Paleo is more the way to go for me, especially as I live in a cold climate but I still have a high regard for the inclusion of raw foods in the diet. I find my digestive tract definitely seems to work better with some raw food. I feel I still have to find the right balance for me, it's a process of trial and error. Obviously a whole raw food diet would be totally incompatible with W30, but I want to experiment post W30 with adding some back in.

I've never tried the eggshells :) but I know people who do and, to be honest, I don't find it gross or weird. I mean people take powdered calcium supplements - what's the difference?

• 3 weeks later...

Why would mods discourage people from talking about this? It would generally highlight the fact that so many raw vegans are now eating paleo! My digestion slows down and gets constipated without a good-sized salad with lunch and dinner. Uhmmm......I guess it's just my character defects......ha!

Why would mods discourage people from talking about this? It would generally highlight the fact that so many raw vegans are now eating paleo! My digestion slows down and gets constipated without a good-sized salad with lunch and dinner. Uhmmm......I guess it's just my character defects......ha!

My phone is about to die but what made you think mods discouraged any conversation or opinions?

Raw food does not merit discussion in It Starts With Food.

I have a friend who is into raw food. He also thinks it is a good idea to grind and eat the egg shells from pastured chickens to increase his calcium intake.

No big deal, or even a small deal; I just think it does merit some discussion. Some people like me feel much, much better with a higher percentage of raw food to balance my system out. I love eating two big salads of raw leafy greens with whatever veges on top along with some meat, fat and maybe some winter squash. I read the book but returned it to the library and I'm not sure if this kind of meal is wholly approved of in It Starts with Food, but I know I'm intuitively doing the right thing.

And I just want to reiterate that I was a raw foodist and am very grateful to be doing this version of the paleo diet now! But I know an emphasis on a certain percentage of raw food in the diet can be miraculous for many of us.

It isn't really mentioned, or "doesn't merit discussion" in the book because we don't care if you eat raw or cooked veggies, the main audience for ISWF just needs to EAT VEGGIES, however they can.

Then the book has so much other stuff to cover that nitpicking the finer points of veggie prep would be lost on most people. That's what I think Tom meant.

Personally, I freaked out about the raw veggies for the OP, because they had specific autoimmune or gastro issues. Raw veggies can be REALLY tough on a lot of these people's systems, so minimizing the intake of difficult to digest foods is something to look at/think about if you are in that population, are 100% compliant, but are still struggling

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread - thanks everyone! I have been told that for my current position, I should be essentially eating W30 style, but with cooked veggies, not salads. I found this confusing after reading so many *good* things about raw foods and digestive enzymes, but this thread has helped clarify the reasons why cooked veggies can be better than raw.

Very interesting thread! I agree it probably doesn't really matter, some veggies are better raw (salad etc), and some definitely should be cooked lol! Just eat what you feel like as far as veggies go, our bodies probably make us want to eat what we need!

Archived