Day 24 and I'm soooo over it...

I've been completely compliant, and I'm committed to continuing on to day 30, but I'm just getting depressed. I feel bigger than ever (not weighing or measuring, just a feeling) and I'm getting bored and depressed at meal time.

My energy is about the same, although my sleep seems improved, I also chalk that up to my new bioidentical hrt.

I know the Whole 30 isn't about weight release, but I need to drop quite a few pounds, and I was at least hoping for a sleeker feeling after a month!!

I think I just needed to whine a little. Thanks all!!

Sorry I can't help you! I've been pretty much at my perfect weight for the last eight years, and I put on some weight in the first two weeks, which was a real disappointment to me. I'm going out dancing today, and my favorite dress is too tight in the waist! My digestive system feels kind of overloaded. I read people complaining about losing too much weight, and I wonder what's up with me?

Rather then dreaming of foods I want to re-introduce, I'm just looking forward to not feeling like I have to eat so much meat. I'm on day 26 and yesterday I didn't eat any meat at all. I felt a lot better. I've been pretty much paleo for the last year +, and I wasn't expecting to ever get over enjoying eating meat, but here I am. I'm thinking of bone broth with vegetables for the next few days.

CONGRATS on making it this far and from what I read day21-24 are some of the hardest as the body gives one final push for you cave to it's cravings...BE STRONG you have come so far!

Do you switch it up at meal time or do you eat the same thing all the time? Maybe try some new recipes or something exotic like organ meat to stave off boredom.

It seems like you are having a definite positive from the program...improved sleep which is awesome. How is your skin? your hair? your nails? What is your mental state like not at meal time? Can you go long stretches between meas without being snacky? Do you work out? If so can you lift more, run faster or just have more stamina overall? To me these are all great positives and signs of success despite being disappointed in your lack of weight loss. Also I think if you are just doing this to lose weight you might be treating it as a diet and not a lifestyle change which is not what this is about. Weight loss should be a happy plus to the program, not the main reason for sticking with it.

I am curious about your fruit and nut consumption and typical days meals if you are willing to share

My guess is that you are going to need longer than 30 days....maybe 45 or even 60. A month just isn't enough time to rid a body of a life time of treating it badly. You have come so far be proud of that, congrats and I wish you loads of luck and health.

Lynne, so sorry the magic hasn't happened for you. I have a couple of thoughts. First, you and I have spoken about the fact that we both tend to get in food ruts. I made a compliant shepherds pie the other day and it was a breath of fresh air and so easy. Let me know if you want the recipe.

Do you have a food log on this site? If not, can you post a couple of days of what you are eating?

Are you fairly active? It could be you need to move more. I can tell you that once you have a need for HRTs, metabolism slows way down.

Last but not least, Melissa posted on FB that while still focusing on health, Dallas is doing a lot of work and education on developing a weight loss/health program. Just the other day Melissa posted that she was going to blog about something exciting..maybe the new addition to the plan?

Do you have a history of depression? I don't remember that about you, but I could be wrong.

Vent away..we're all here for you. :)

Thanks guys!!

You're right Susan, I'm in a food rut! Salad and chicken breast and avocado for lunch, beef or port and brussel's sprouts or broccoli/cauli and sweet pot. for dinner. Sometimes apple/almonds with or after either or both meal.

No history of depression, thank goodness! As for activity, I've let my exercise routine go, mostly because I wasn't sleeping well. Now that I am, I need to pick it up again. I'm active-ish on my job, I'm an esthetician/massage therapist at a busy salon, so I'm usually on my feet all day, sometimes doing heavy massage treatments.

MJam, I'm not doing it *only* for weight release, but I really need to let some of the weight go! I've put on about 40lbs due to menopause and lack of portion control, but I've been grain-free for a long time. Very few legumes prior to my Whole 30, and very low sugar. I had a few "incidents" around October/November, which prompted me to take the Whole 30 plunge, but overall I am eating way better than the SAD.

When I released 95 lbs. I spent over 14 months never varying from my program. Birthdays, anniversaries, holidays, I stayed strong! I definitely see the Whole 30 as a way to create a lifestyle of health! And, there are some things that I'd like to be able to work in on occasion, and I mean RARE occasion. For example, since we've been together, Mr. Goddess and I go for Indian food on New Year's Eve. I've done it low-carb. It's worse than SWYPO, it's watching other people have sex with their pants off!! Indian restaurants make horrible salad!! Even the chicken I used to get, while low-carb, is not Whole 30/60/90 compliant, due to the yoghurt marinade. Anyway, my indention was to finish my Whole 30, do a bit of re-introduction, have my NYE meal and start another Whole 30 1/1/13.

Looks like I need to start a food log...ho hum. I was hoping the magic would kick in without it. As for fruit and nut consumption, I've had as many as 2 servings of fruit on some days, but usually 1, and sometimes none. Raw almonds, sometimes none, usually 1 single serving bag (Trader Joe's "handful") and rarely 2.

Emotionally I'm feeling like I am doomed to be hungry and limited with food if I want to get any weight off. :(

oh man o man...

do I ever feel your "over it"

glad you are committing through to the 30 days as did I ...

I feel like this was just the beginning and I now have the tools to move forward in the new year with an easier way of doing this.... and even more compliant... some of the things I did not do was always stick completely to eating within 1 hr of waking, also did not stick to 3 meals a day all the time, some days I just grazed my way through the day... compliantly but still that was not encouraged... I also did not stick to not eating in front of screens or while doing something else.

So I'm wondering if that's why I'm not "feeling the love" emotionally... plus I'm ending on my week of ladies' monthly ... anyway, I am looking forward to doing this again, and more! now that I know how to cook my way through it, and prep my way through it, i'm willing to give up those other things... eating in front of screens and grazing... a new level.

I feel like not making a break from those other bad habits that went along with my poor food choices made me feel like nothing had changed, when in reality, a LOT has changed.

bla bla... sorry for the long windedness ;)

I hope you start feeling the magic soon

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to the forums - starting my first Whole 30 on January 7th - so I hope it is okay and not breaking any rules if I ask a question in someone else's thread.

Why are you suggesting to eat a sweet potato a day? I know they are allowed but I am just wondering what the reasoning is. What will the sweet potato do for the OP?

Not to point at the elephant in the corner, but...

Hormones play a sizeable part in the Whole30 game, and if you're working through menopause then you've got more at play than most. I second all the above suggestions, as well as suggesting a sweet potato a day (if you aren't already).

I am new to the forums - starting my first Whole 30 on January 7th - so I hope it is okay and not breaking any rules if I ask a question in someone else's thread.

Why are you suggesting to eat a sweet potato a day? I know they are allowed but I am just wondering what the reasoning is. What will the sweet potato do for the OP?

Absolutely ok to ask any questions..... The whole reason for this forum is to educate and support....

I can't speak for Robin, but under eating can be as bad or worse than over eating..... If your body is not getting the fuel it needs it will shut down on a cellular level, put you into survival mode, and store body fat at the expense of muscle and your daily energy.....

Simply adding the proper carbs via sweet potato and/ or good fats can reverse this and really energize you and lift your spirits ..... I suffer from hormonal issues and eating enough and proper balance Is key for me.... The addition of two sweet potatoes and avacado/ nut butter lit my ass on fire......

In the big picture a sweet potato is a little tweak that can reap big benefits ......

I just wanted to stop back by and thank everyone for their excellent advice!!

I start a Whole30+ on 1/1/13, and I think the main things I will do is be sure to get breakfast every day, eat only 1 palm of protein and 1 thumb of fat w/veggies to start and make sure I'm truly hungry before eating more, cut the fruit for at least the first 30 days and be VERY careful with sweet potatoes! Oh, and no nuts for 30 days. Gotta keep it clean!!

Thanks for clarifying. I sure didn't want to start off on the wrong foot. I appreciate your explanation too.

Absolutely ok to ask any questions..... The whole reason for this forum is to educate and support....

I can't speak for Robin, but under eating can be as bad or worse than over eating..... If your body is not getting the fuel it needs it will shut down on a cellular level, put you into survival mode, and store body fat at the expense of muscle and your daily energy.....

Simply adding the proper carbs via sweet potato and/ or good fats can reverse this and really energize you and lift your spirits ..... I suffer from hormonal issues and eating enough and proper balance Is key for me.... The addition of two sweet potatoes and avacado/ nut butter lit my ass on fire......

In the big picture a sweet potato is a little tweak that can reap big benefits ......

I just wanted to stop back by and thank everyone for their excellent advice!!

I start a Whole30+ on 1/1/13, and I think the main things I will do is be sure to get breakfast every day, eat only 1 palm of protein and 1 thumb of fat w/veggies to start and make sure I'm truly hungry before eating more, cut the fruit for at least the first 30 days and be VERY careful with sweet potatoes! Oh, and no nuts for 30 days. Gotta keep it clean!!

One more thing...if you don't exercise...then can you start? That might be the missing ingredient...even though you have an active job...it's not the same as running fast and lifting heavy stuff.

If you do exercise, then please, please, please...add the sweet potato...cut the nuts...and what about other fats? olives? coconut? avocado? are you getting those? coconut and olives can be eaten by the handful...rather than nuts...

good luck!

Sweet potatoes and avocados do wonders for me too! I can definitely feel a difference when I don't eat them regularly-as in at least one a day! (Oh, ok, maybe I can skip one or the other, but not both!) My energy tanks if I don't have those carbs and healthy fat every day!

Some people swear by a tablespoon of coconut oil, but I haven't been able to do that...

Archived