Starting Jan 8

snd9

For those that are new to Whole30, it can be stressful and sometimes seemingly overwhelming, what with all the label reading, increased prep, constantly thinking about "is it compliant??", etc.

Make sure to take some time to breathe.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, SugarcubeOD said:

Oooh, your brain is being quite the meany to you right now isn't it!  Okay if distraction techniques don't work (read a book, go for a walk, take a bath etc) then eat something salty or briney like olives (not nuts).  This does two things... it redirects your brain becasue its the exact opposite of sweet and second, it will help you tell yourself that you are NOT HUNGRY because you just ate a big handful of fat... and then move on to trying some other distraction technique.  The only way around this kind of thing is through it unfortunately but you're doing amazing, keep going, it does go away/diminish eventually.

Thanks! I’ll give it a try...oddly, it seems the cravings are only around the evening time and even before the Whole30, I was never really a dessert person. Good thing I love olives!

Mind if I join you guys? I started on the 10th but there don't seem to be many active threads. This will be my 4th Whole30...well, almost - I had to cut my second one short at 21 days because of a work trip overseas. My last one was in February 2016 and I got pregnant while I was on it. I developed a pretty bad habit with sweets while I was pregnant which has been hard to kick, so I wanted to reset now that I'm starting to wean my son.

I'm on day 5 and so far I haven't had any particularly bad side effects, but they might be overshadowed by the fact that I have strep and pinkeye and feel pretty crappy because of those. Kids are toxic, man. Thankful it's a holiday weekend and I can at least take it somewhat easy at home.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, Uni_corndog0625 said:

Thanks! I’ll give it a try...oddly, it seems the cravings are only around the evening time and even before the Whole30, I was never really a dessert person. Good thing I love olives!

I'm convinced that evening cravings are because your brain knows it's almost the end of the day and you haven't gotten around to eating the things it thinks it wants, so it ramps up intensity at night to try and fit in the items before it's 'too late'. This is not science, this is just my thought... but if you do think of it this way, then it's easier to be like 'ya, thanks brain but not going to be eating xyz' and then move on... mental tricks like that work too :)

On 1/13/2018 at 7:20 AM, kirkor said:

@MonikaDelilah what do you think it is about the chips you are craving and/or missing?  The crunch of the chip, the salt? The crinkle of the cellophane bag?

I really like chips and salsa. I'm trying not to eat anything that will send me right back down a path of eating bad. So I opted not to buy the kale chips, and I'm trying to make sure that I'm completely satisfied after each meal.

On 1/13/2018 at 11:32 PM, SugarcubeOD said:

Not a great idea honestly... I don't think we can call these 'chips' under the no chips rule but the poster whom you recommended them to is looking for a 'hand to mouth mindless snack' like chips so that dried broccoli (which I"ve had) is totally a stand in for chips - I doubt very much anyone's putting a few pieces on a salad as extra crunch... 

I've been eating them with tuna as a mini-meal to meet the protein/fat requirement. Does that work?

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, snd9 said:

I've been eating them with tuna as a mini-meal to meet the protein/fat requirement. Does that work?

You're eating dried brocoli to help with the protein/fat requirement? Why can't you just eat the tuna mixed with some mayo/guac?

Are you composing your meals correctly to avoid needing that mini-meal? 

I happen to disagree, I think if kale chips bought at the store are non-compliant (which they are!) than this "crispy crunch brocoli" which is likely deep fried is absolutely not compliant.  @SugarcubeOD ;) 

28 minutes ago, ladyshanny said:

You're eating dried brocoli to help with the protein/fat requirement? Why can't you just eat the tuna mixed with some mayo/guac?

I happen to disagree, I think if kale chips bought at the store are non-compliant (which they are!) than this "crispy crunch brocoli" which is likely deep fried is absolutely not compliant.  @SugarcubeOD ;) 

Yes, I only had the tuna and dried broccoli once last week. I've been following along with the Whole30 Day by Day book and it said that if you really felt like you needed the mini-meal then you can go ahead and have it so I did. I didn't have compliant mayo on hand and I tried making some but it didn't work out so well so the dried broccoli (which is made with palm oil) was my last resort. Do you have any constructive input or were you just commenting to be antagonizing?

1 minute ago, snd9 said:

Yes, I only had the tuna and dried broccoli once last week. I've been following along with the Whole30 Day by Day book and it said that if you really felt like you needed the mini-meal then you can go ahead and have it so I did. I didn't have compliant mayo on hand and I tried making some but it didn't work out so well so the dried broccoli (which is made with palm oil) was my last resort. Do you have any constructive input or were you just commenting to be antagonizing?

Good job using what you had to keep compliant! My need for chips is more for boredom, so I'm going to opt to stay away from them. I appreciate your suggestion, and I will probably try them once I have my 'chip' savagery under control. lol 

I also tried making the mayo...I'll have to try again. I do like the chicken, avo salad. You should try that as it was totally YUMMY! Keep up the good work.

As far as @snd9...she/he was probably just trying to give their opinion but came off a little brass. Probably the sugar dragon kicking in...give 'em a break. :) 

• Administrators
5 minutes ago, snd9 said:

To clarify the rules, deep fried or commercially produced chips of any kind are not compliant. The fact you were using them as a fat source (that was my question) is part of the reason they are not compliant....because brocoli is not a source of fat...........unless it's deep fried. I would just go with the tuna and mayo/guac if you need a mid-day mini meal. And yes, mini-meals are absolutely permitted. We don't want people struggling through legitimate hunger. The fried/commercial brocoli chips are out though. Hope that helps! :) 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, ladyshanny said:

I must have been thinking of something else... freeze dried maybe because I remember being on Whole30 at one time and the guy at TJ's opening the bag for me and I grilled him on how they were made and I don't recall them being fried.  If that's the case with these, then yes, definitely broccoli chips are the same as any other chip and defo out!  For what it's worth, whatever it was that I ate was disgusting and no more 'convenient' than bringing a zip loc baggie of fresh brocolli florets with you whereever you take these.

Hi Friends,

Jumping in a little late, but I also started on January 8th. This forum helped me so much with my first Whole 30 in April 2016. I did a whole14 last year, but it’s time for another whole 30. How is day 9 treating everyone? I’m just a little fatigued by the prep and have the regular tummy trouble issues, but other than that I’m doing ok.

Just now, AmisOtis said:

Hi Friends,

Jumping in a little late, but I also started on January 8th. This forum helped me so much with my first Whole 30 in April 2016. I did a whole14 last year, but it’s time for another whole 30. How is day 9 treating everyone? I’m just a little fatigued by the prep and have the regular tummy trouble issues, but other than that I’m doing ok.

Have you tried Territory Foods? Is there is one in your area? You can save yourself time by ordering from them. I did the offer of getting the free $50 for a single weeks delivery and saved myself a bit of sanity this week. One week is $8 w/the code...try it and even if you don't decide to keep using them, you've saved yourself $$, and time next week! If you're interested, here's the link. https://www.territoryfoods.com/yum/BUPC

P.S. I'm not trying to sell it to anyone, I have no affiliation. I just tried it, and I loved the ease of the program, and the food!

DAY 9 EVERYONE!  AKA, the day when we most want to quit.  Push through!  How is everyone feeling and what have been a few favorite recipes?  I tried the chicken meatballs from Mel Joulwan and OHHOLYOPRAH they were amazing.  Do recommend.

In my camp, I'm feeling pretty good.  The detox period coincided with my natural cycle so that was rough, but I'm glad to have both out of the way.  Comparatively, everything feels like smooth sailing. @AmisOtis, I am with you on the upset tummy.  Very gassy and bloated, so I am cutting back a little on raw veggies and focusing on softer foods.  I am starting to see the NSV's though!  I slept like a baby last night and have been seeing less puffiness in the face.  

Feeling STOKED about the batch of homemade mayo and ghee that I made last night, and the menu possibilities this opens up.  SO tasty!  Keep it up everyone, I am rooting for you.  Tiger Blood is around the corner!

Hi, I also started on January 8th.  So far feeling great! Doing this for me and me alone! I read the 30 day Guide to Health and Food Freedom...it was super helpful.  I did do a Whole30 a few years ago but I didn't do the slow reintroduction which is said to be just as important, so I will definitely do it this when I've finished.  I also really want to turn this into a Whole90 anyone else thinking of pushing it for the long haul?  After raising four daughters and cooking a lot of meals, I've decided to skip a ton a meal prep and spend the extra money and have Snap Kitchen make my food for Monday-Friday.  I work full time and at my stage in life this is what works best for me.  I do plan on doing more prep if I do a Whole90 maybe do Snap Kitchen 3 days a week?

6 hours ago, kirkor said:

@BecFreeby glad the chicken meatballs turned out well for you -- "Melicious" definitely earns her nickname!

She sure does!  I've loved almost everything of hers that I've tried on past W30's but these took the cake.  Even better than (gasp) guacamole!  What are some of your favorites of hers?

Hi everyone, day 12 today. I don’t know what’s going on. Since day 10 I started to want something sweet. I had a small clementine. I really haven’t been eating fruit at all so I thought it would be ok. Day 11 and today I feel bloated and so very tired. I don’t want to do anything. I’ve been reading all my labels, haven’t had anything I wasn’t supposed to and been following all rules. It’s funny because I was saying to myself about a week after I started that I had not felt any discomfort so I guess I just jinxed myself. Anyone feeling the blahs???

Hi all. Hope everyone's doing well. First timer here. Doing W30 because I think I may have developed some sort of food allergy. On day 6, still feeling some of the same issues, I decided to substitute tea for my beloved coffee and am feeling really good now. Haven't had too many of the issues mentioned in the book, though we tend to eat pretty clean. Not seeing a lot of body change, but I do see some - mostly in the face and upper body. Less puffy I guess. I'm in it for the duration. I am even considering doing a W60 a but we'll see how the first 30 go!

Hi y'all! I'm definitely feeling the blahs too, dee1314.  So, my monthly hormones may have something to do with it, but I'm just feeling frustrated. I feel like by now, it sounds like I should be coming out of the dark.  But, I just want to eat a cake right now.  Today I found myself mourning the loss of my sweet food. I even thought a little to the future and felt sad when I thought I might not like it when I'm done with this and living a healthier lifestyle. It actually made me sad that I might not want a cupcake. What in the world?!?!

I really hope y'all are doing well and I can't wait to hear some of you turning that corner. I'm off to go to sleep so that I don't eat anything else. :wacko:

Lauren

Hi everyone! I’m jumping in this group because I love the support! This is my second Whole30. I haven’t been as social this round. I’m low key about it. Last time I was making all these fancy meals, grinding my own sausage, reading the books daily. This time I am eating simple things because that is what my lifestyle holds. I have to be realistic and want to make these meals quickly. I don’t have time for the fancy meals my whole life so I’m learning to make healthy decisions he simple way. 

I am doing it this round because I think I accumulated a good allergy. I have an allergy test that will confirm it next week. 

Hope everyone is doing well:) 

Emily

9 hours ago, ldw824 said:

Hi y'all! I'm definitely feeling the blahs too, dee1314.  So, my monthly hormones may have something to do with it, but I'm just feeling frustrated. I feel like by now, it sounds like I should be coming out of the dark.  But, I just want to eat a cake right now.  Today I found myself mourning the loss of my sweet food. I even thought a little to the future and felt sad when I thought I might not like it when I'm done with this and living a healthier lifestyle. It actually made me sad that I might not want a cupcake. What in the world?!?!

I really hope y'all are doing well and I can't wait to hear some of you turning that corner. I'm off to go to sleep so that I don't eat anything else. :wacko:

Lauren

Lauren hang in there!!! I’ve done the Whole30 a few times and at one point the need for sugar does decrease. I was a self confessed sugar addict and I was diagnosed with DM Type 2 so I had to cut down quite a lot but I still had the urge. That’s one of the reasons I started another Whole30.  

Hi Friends,

It's nice to read through the threads.  I find that my energy and cravings can be cyclical.  I think I have kicked the cravings and regain energy for a few days, and then it comes back with a vengeance for a couple of days.  I just try to enjoy the good days and know they'll come back around.  Last night I woke up a 3 a.m. from a dream that I was eating pizza.  I tried for a couple of hours, but just couldn't fall back asleep.  Yikes!  Thank goodness coffee is compliant.  

Happy Day 13 Everyone.

Archived