Milk substitute

the_wendy_house

So far the only milk sub suggestion I can see is coconut milk (of the canned rather than cartoned variety), however my hubby can't stand the taste of coconut.

Has anyone else found anything compliant that he can use in his tea/coffee please? I've trawled the book by can't spot anything, and a search of the forums didn't bring much up either.

Thanks!

While my first cup of decaf in the morning has coconut milk (which I love), I also have learned to drink my coffee black. Many others will share the same. Quality coffee can be enjoyed black! I don't put milk or sugar in my tea, so that one has never been an issue.

Hope he finds his answer!

You can also make almond milk the same way you would make mac nut milk. I'm not crazy about coconut in coffee either. I gave up coffee for my last w30, but have been drinking it over the holidays. I will give it up again for my W100. Amazing how much better I slept just by giving up my one cup of coffee.

Whole30 is about retraining your brain and tastebuds. I would also suggest not trying to find a sub but rather drinking the coffee black. I also gave up caffeinated beverages for my Whole30, most green and black tea...I gave up coffee well before my Whole30. I was caffeine-free until I failed to realize that kombucha has caffeine it in al beit a small amount but it still has some.

My point...try it black and start the retraining process instead of looking for something that won't be as good as whatever you were putting in your coffee before.

I am just starting my first Whole 30, and milk in my tea was probably my main concern. I usually drink black tea with milk, and don't like it without. I have switched to green tea for now, because it's less bitter and astringent and I can tolerate it without milk. So far so good!

I need to double check the ingredients, but I'm pretty sure nut milks are ok. I have a box full of almond milk (unsweetened) and was wanting to use it on my whole30 cereal (nuts and fruit).

Honestly, I'm more concerned about your Whole30 cereal than about your nut milk. True, there are VERY few compliant cartoned nut milks, but there are a couple out there.

The Whole30 cereal is a really, really bad idea. First of all, it's not going to fit into the meal planning template at all. Where are the veggies? My guess is that you're getting tons more than an appropriate serving of nuts and of dried fruit. Then there's the issue of continuing a cereal habit and recreating those unhealthy foods with slightly more healthy foods (nuts and dried fruit aren't nearly as beneficial to your body as, say, broccoli and sweet potatoes). We'd much prefer to see you eating a meal of protein, veggies and fat at breakfast. I promise, that will treat your body much better (especially when it comes to satiety) than a bowl of not-so-great cereal.

I made almond milk for the first time last night & am drinking it in my coffee this morning. Yummy!

I changed a few things from the original recipe posted by praxisproject . . .

1 - I blanched & 'peeled' the almonds before I soaked them. (I don't like the bitter taste of the skin.)

2- I used 1cup of almonds, 2 cups of water, and 3 dates.

Archived