Lenten Whole30 2/14-4/1

MeganSchallom

@Fernsk I am so sorry for your water troubles. Hang in there. I can hardly imagine what you were dealing with. No water is my worst nightmare!

@ShannonM68 I can relate in so many ways. I too try out some recipes every so often however I prefer simple. My kids are not doing the W30 so I adjust their meals. It is a struggle!

Thank you everyone for the breakfast ideas. I made some turkey + veggie patties and had those for breakfast with avocado and a banana. It was a battle but I ate the plateful. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/15/2018 at 8:36 PM, Elizabeth22 said:

It's going well for me so far. I didn't eat a lot yesterday since it was Ash Wednesday and I was fasting. Today I was feeling overwhelmed because I was out of town at the beginning of the week and haven't really prepped anything. I have groceries, but meal planning is always hard for me. I will be working this weekend, so I'm hoping to make a few things tomorrow. Any meal planning tips? 

The easiest thing we do is the one-pan meals with meat and veggies in the oven!  Seriously our go-to.  Called “ingredient meals” in the book.  Most time consuming part is cutting the veggies.  Also an everything in the fridge egg scramble.  We rarely use recipes and keep things simple.

• Administrators
26 minutes ago, LoveyG said:

The easiest thing we do is the one-pan meals with meat and veggies in the oven!  Seriously our go-to.  Called “ingredient meals” in the book.  Most time consuming part is cutting the veggies.  Also an everything in the fridge egg scramble.  We rarely use recipes and keep things simple.

Sheet Pan!!! We do this at least once a week!!

It's Day 7 for me!  I am already feeling more energetic and balanced, which is so motivating!  @Ksprljan, my favorite non-egg breakfast dish is this: roasted sweet potato mashed with banana and cinnamon and topped with a scoop of almond butter.  It's super satisfying, sweet like a breakfast food, and easy to prep ahead so when you're up at 5 am, all you have to do is reheat your potato and assemble:

1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes

2 bananas, halved

Cinnamon, to taste

4 Tablespoons almond butter, divided

Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven at 350F, skin on, until soft all the way through (1 hour to 1.5 hours).  Allow to cool cut into halves or quarters - depending on the size of the potato.  Peel the skin off and put into containers.  When you're ready to eat, pull a container out of the fridge and warm your potato and add half a banana, cinnamon, and almond butter.  Mash and enjoy!  <3 ~Lisa

Hey everyone! Snow day here in Denver - I opted to take a vacation day & stay home rather than go play bumper cars out on I-25. I got my exercise in first thing by shoveling the sidewalks. 

On Sunday, I cooked a whole chicken in our smoker & yesterday I started a pot of bone broth with the skin & carcass. Today I'm going to try a new soup recipe - Mel Joulwan's Persian-spiced winter vegetable soup. It sounds perfect for cold weather. I've been eating the smoked chicken with the Whole30-compliant BBQ sauce I made last week, which turned out really well - smoky & tangy & just spicy enough. 

Overall, I've been feeling pretty good. I went climbing yesterday & had a much better day at the gym than I did on Saturday. My cravings haven't been too bad, compared to my previous Whole30 attempts. That's not to say I haven't had occasional roars from the Sugar Dragon... but I haven't had any truly maddening moments of wanting to eat a sack of donuts. 

How's everyone else doing? 

• Moderators
5 hours ago, LisaLeeO said:

It's Day 7 for me!  I am already feeling more energetic and balanced, which is so motivating!  @Ksprljan, my favorite non-egg breakfast dish is this: roasted sweet potato mashed with banana and cinnamon and topped with a scoop of almond butter.  It's super satisfying, sweet like a breakfast food, and easy to prep ahead so when you're up at 5 am, all you have to do is reheat your potato and assemble:

1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes

2 bananas, halved

Cinnamon, to taste

4 Tablespoons almond butter, divided

Roast your sweet potatoes in the oven at 350F, skin on, until soft all the way through (1 hour to 1.5 hours).  Allow to cool cut into halves or quarters - depending on the size of the potato.  Peel the skin off and put into containers.  When you're ready to eat, pull a container out of the fridge and warm your potato and add half a banana, cinnamon, and almond butter.  Mash and enjoy!  <3 ~Lisa

Try having a scoop of this as a side with some sausage or eggs and maybe some other vegetables. This is a lot of sweet first thing in the morning. I understand people think sweet things are breakfast things, but really, it's a huge hit to your blood sugar after fasting overnight, which can ultimately leave you getting hungry faster. It really is worth trying to get used to having protein, fat, and vegetables for breakfast.

For protein, if you're tired of eggs, try grilled chicken, pre-made sausages (Aidell's makes some chicken & apple ones that aren't bad), make up a breakfast sausage (there are tons of recipes, here's one:  http://40aprons.com/easy-whole30-breakfast-sausage-paleo/), or try these salmon cakes: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

For vegetables, try soups -- there are several recipes here:  https://meljoulwan.com/2017/10/16/super-smooth-soups/. Or do something like this: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/05/easy-breakfast-salad/ (when I've made this, I've added diced raw zucchini or yellow squash, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, grated carrots -- really, any vegetable works, but aim for milder flavored ones if the thought of strong flavors in the morning bother you.) 

You can always do things that have both vegetables and protein too -- chicken & vegetable soup, frittatas or breakfast casseroles with eggs, sausage, and assorted vegetables, meat & spinach muffins like this:  http://meljoulwan.com/2008/10/26/eat-your-vegetables-spinach/, or a breakfast salad like this:   http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/the-breakfast-salad-whole30-paleo/

The only way you're going to change your tastebuds so that you can eat savory foods instead of sweet ones first thing in the morning is to actually eat savory foods instead of sweet ones first thing in the morning. This won't just magically change one day, if you just keep eating the kinds of things you've always eaten. You have to actually work on changing it.

Day 6 for me and some NSVs:

First, I realized this morning that I had no GERD symptoms over night

Second, my headache which I’ve had every morning since starting Whole30 only lasted about a half hour

Third, I was able to eat an almost good breakfast...still no green veggies but a tomato added onto the plate

Most important... fasting blood sugar reading of 6.7 the best I’ve had since my Type 2 Diabetes diagnoses... lots of room for improvement but I’m savouring the movement in the rift direction 

i also seem to have improved energy between naps... still on a boiled water advisory but at least there is running water!

8 hours ago, ShannonM816 said:

Try having a scoop of this as a side with some sausage or eggs and maybe some other vegetables. This is a lot of sweet first thing in the morning. I understand people think sweet things are breakfast things, but really, it's a huge hit to your blood sugar after fasting overnight, which can ultimately leave you getting hungry faster. It really is worth trying to get used to having protein, fat, and vegetables for breakfast.

For protein, if you're tired of eggs, try grilled chicken, pre-made sausages (Aidell's makes some chicken & apple ones that aren't bad), make up a breakfast sausage (there are tons of recipes, here's one:  http://40aprons.com/easy-whole30-breakfast-sausage-paleo/), or try these salmon cakes: http://meljoulwan.com/2014/11/10/oven-fried-salmon-cakes/

For vegetables, try soups -- there are several recipes here:  https://meljoulwan.com/2017/10/16/super-smooth-soups/. Or do something like this: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2013/07/05/easy-breakfast-salad/ (when I've made this, I've added diced raw zucchini or yellow squash, snap peas, cherry tomatoes, grated carrots -- really, any vegetable works, but aim for milder flavored ones if the thought of strong flavors in the morning bother you.) 

You can always do things that have both vegetables and protein too -- chicken & vegetable soup, frittatas or breakfast casseroles with eggs, sausage, and assorted vegetables, meat & spinach muffins like this:  http://meljoulwan.com/2008/10/26/eat-your-vegetables-spinach/, or a breakfast salad like this:   http://www.realfoodwithdana.com/the-breakfast-salad-whole30-paleo/

The only way you're going to change your tastebuds so that you can eat savory foods instead of sweet ones first thing in the morning is to actually eat savory foods instead of sweet ones first thing in the morning. This won't just magically change one day, if you just keep eating the kinds of things you've always eaten. You have to actually work on changing it.

@ShannonM816 Thanks for the suggestion, however I think you missed my previous posts. It’s not the sugar or sweet I am craving, in fact I don’t enjoy sweet food at all, I just cannot have eggs every morning. I am well aware that for breakfast I can eat anything however psychologically my mind sends a “I am going to throw up” signal to my body at even the though of soup or cooked veggies at 5:30 in the morning. I am just looking for options besides eggs that won’t make my stomach turn first thing in the morning.

It is also extremely difficult for me to follow most of the recipes offered because I live in Zagreb, Croatia - small country on the Adriatic and availability of compliant food and ingredients is very limited. Mostly seasonal with a little variety here and there - since it is winter fruits and veggies are very limited.

Thanks for your suggestions I will definitely try some.

On a more positive note - week one SUCCESS! :) 

I’m getting ready to make Chia seed pudding with coconut milk and almond milk (which I make so it’s not sweet) and just top with fruit/nuts/protein. It’s not super sweet and it’s portable which is nice. 

You could also do a baked sweet potato with almond butter and ghee and some sausage, veggies on the side if you can stomach them. 

I have to make meals that are easily portable and eggs aren’t always the best option for me either for breakfast. I also like to have breakfast for breakfast. 

This week has been a clustered mess!!! Monday was supposed to be my Day1 but the day didn’t want to cooperate, I had to start over yesterday. Yesterday was a mess too! I didn’t get anything on my “to-do” list completed, including my devotionals.  But I stayed 100% compliant with my food! So that’s a win right?!

Today I’m feeling a little groggy and hungry! My stomach keeps yelling at me! I just finished lunch, which was super yummy, and my stomach is making all kinds of noise... I think it’s forming a protest about this new way of eating... ^_^  Here’s to another successful day of Whole30! 

• Administrators
On 21/02/2018 at 9:18 AM, Chelsea Cooper said:

I’m getting ready to make Chia seed pudding with coconut milk and almond milk (which I make so it’s not sweet) and just top with fruit/nuts/protein. It’s not super sweet and it’s portable which is nice. 

Hi Chelsea, sorry to be the bearer of bad news but chia seed pudding is the exact opposite of what you should be eating on Whole30. It doesn't meet the template, comes awfully close to SWYPO and includes a large amount of seed which is recommended to be limited. 

Portable breakfast can really be anything. Chili in a mason jar.  Soup in a thermos. Chopped chicken thighs, sweet potato "fries", steamed brocoli and half an avocado. Burger patties sliced up and eaten with steamed green beans dipped in mayo. Meatballs on coleslaw. We really recommend you set aside the chia pudding. 

2 hours ago, Allis said:

This week has been a clustered mess!!! Monday was supposed to be my Day1 but the day didn’t want to cooperate, I had to start over yesterday. Yesterday was a mess too! I didn’t get anything on my “to-do” list completed, including my devotionals.  But I stayed 100% compliant with my food! So that’s a win right?!

Today I’m feeling a little groggy and hungry! My stomach keeps yelling at me! I just finished lunch, which was super yummy, and my stomach is making all kinds of noise... I think it’s forming a protest about this new way of eating... ^_^  Here’s to another successful day of Whole30! 

Hey! This happened to me as well.  At least the first 5 days.  I believe it was just my metabolism getting used to eating healthier and not having a ton of empty cals. My portion size was unreal and now I've gotten used to eating how much I've been eating. Just make sure your protein portions and veggies are enough.

3 hours ago, Allis said:

@Allis, if you post the details of your meals, the mods often swoop in with some specific advice. In general though, lots of first-timers get hungry because they aren't eating enough fat &/or protein. When you eliminate all the calories that come from carbs (like sweeteners & grains) you've got to replace them with other calories. Eating healthy fats satiates hunger the best. 

Day 7 and I ache!  I wonder if this is part of the process, last night I noticed that my right knee wasn’t having it’s normal twinges and I thought WOW another NSV but today every body part that I’ve ever injured is reminding me of the aches.  I’m hoping that this too shall pass?

On an up note, my blood sugars are excellent, including my slowly improving fasting blood sugar reading!  My only problem is adjusting to not having high sugars, I get jittery throughout the day so am testing regularly to make certain that all is well.  Today after my exercise class I went too low and ate a Larabar.  I’m glad that I had read that they were a compliant emergency food.  I’ll have to watch out though to not have too many of them.

Second up note is that the “boil water advisory “ was lifted this afternoon so I don’t need to boil water to do dishes,

I hope that everyone is enjoying the journey 

On 2/20/2018 at 12:29 PM, Fernsk said:

Day 6 for me and some NSVs:

First, I realized this morning that I had no GERD symptoms over night

Second, my headache which I’ve had every morning since starting Whole30 only lasted about a half hour

Third, I was able to eat an almost good breakfast...still no green veggies but a tomato added onto the plate

Most important... fasting blood sugar reading of 6.7 the best I’ve had since my Type 2 Diabetes diagnoses... lots of room for improvement but I’m savouring the movement in the rift direction 

i also seem to have improved energy between naps... still on a boiled water advisory but at least there is running water!

This sounds fantastic!!  Way to go!!!  

6 hours ago, Allis said:

Good for you making it through day 1!  As a day 7 newbie, days 1-3 were crazy because I had not found a pattern.  I'm getting into the rhythm now :) On this day my belly is happier (not hungry), headache is gone, and the tummy non bloated.   It's doable!

3 hours ago, angledge said:

@Allis, if you post the details of your meals, the mods often swoop in with some specific advice. In general though, lots of first-timers get hungry because they aren't eating enough fat &/or protein. When you eliminate all the calories that come from carbs (like sweeteners & grains) you've got to replace them with other calories. Eating healthy fats satiates hunger the best. 

Thanks for the heads up! I had 3 scrambled eggs, half an avocado, 1/4 cup salsa, & half of a very large sweet potato that I roasted. It was super scrummy! :) The tummy rumbles stopped about 30 minutes later. We just ate dinner (braised pot roast, sweet potato mash, and sautéed mushrooms and onion) it was also super yummy. But now my stomach is rumbling again... weird... hopefully this will stop in the next few days. Was able to maintain another 100% compliant day! 

18 hours ago, LisaLeeO said:

Did you try it?  How did it go?

I tried it! It was delicious! It definitely helped to have a non-egg day. I made a huge frittata and was able to do eggs again. I just need one day a week to be a non-egg day to give myself a break. I also tried having some broccoli and cauliflower in the morning without the eggs but with some turkey patties and avocado. It as a struggle. Definitely easier to eat and digest cold than warming it up. Powering through. 

Thanks everyone for the tremendous support with my breakfast battles. 

Day 9!  Because I'm committing to 40 days for Lent, I'm almost 1/4 of the way through.  I can't believe how minimal my PMS symptoms have been!  I knew that I felt better - less tenderness in my chest, less moody, fewer cravings for salty, fatty, cheesy foods from the first time, but when I was off W30 and experiencing PMS symptoms like I did BEFORE I discovered this way of eating, I was shocked at what I was putting up with.  There have been a few times in the last couple of days that I've been soooo tempted to stop and get some mozzarella sticks, but I haven't.  I've also been tempted to crack open a bottle of wine at the end of some very long nights and haven't.  You guys keep me so motivated and I'm so happy we're all in this together!  xo ~Lisa

Day 8 today and I survived Day 7... my Sugar Dragon came a day early (Sugar dragon makes an appearance on day 8 according to Whole39 Day by Day). I ended up eating a Larabar...could have been worse but I am learning.  I also now realize that I became over dependent on potatoes (had them for lunch & dinner), also not enough protein and other veggies.  The truth came this morning with my fasting blood sugar reading of 8.5... a definite stumble.  I’m being more selective today and am giving myself a break from eggs.  So far so good, my sugars are balancing out, the aches & pains of yesterday are gone and I’m feeling less stressed now that the boil water advisory was lifted.  Yippee I can do dishes without boiling my water!

3 minutes ago, Fernsk said:

I also now realize that I became over dependent on potatoes (had them for lunch & dinner), also not enough protein and other veggies. 

I have also been leaning on potatoes. I'm trying to replace them with turnips or cauli-rice. 

Day 8 went well - ate lots of leftovers, didn't cook anything new, had a good workout at the gym. I'm going to have to have another good prep weekend though, because... I'm running out of leftovers. :P I think I'm going to make this butternut squash & sausage casserole for breakfasts & maybe a batch of Nom Nom Paleo's prosciutto-wrapped fritatta muffins. I need to make a fish dish - I have some salmon fillets in the freezer, as well as a package of pork chops.  Anyone have any salmon or pork chop recipes to recommend? 

Hey all! The fam and I all came down with a cold so the last couple of days have been tough. I’ve been able to stick to the plan Thanks to pre-planned meals. One benefit of being sick is those symptoms covered any from food changes so I’ve been ok. Also upped my water intake thanks to la croix- they’re on sale at target if anyone’s interested. 

I’m starting up my plan for this week and was wondering what veggies you guys use? I made a big back of roast potatoes, sweet potatoes, beets and onions which I’ve been having with sautéed spinach &tomatoes but I’m over the potatoes. It leaves me feeling heavy so I’m looking to change it up. 

I was able to get all of my devotions done today! Yay! And even had time for a much needed nap (major fatigue today). Day 3 has proved to be a bit more challenging. I wanted a slice of toast so bad with my eggs this morning I could smell it! But I didn’t even entertain the thought. Had some leftover sweet potatoes instead. Lunch was yummy, (leftover roast and a Greek salad) I’m actually kinda proud of myself, I don’t like olives, like at all, but I made sure to put just a few in my salad and I have to say it added a bit of extra flavor that I never knew I was missing! On another positive note, my tummy hasn’t been as talkative today. :P 

The day is almost over. Working on Pork Chops with Spiced applesauce and a side salad or sautéed spinach for dinner... still haven’t decided on the side. 

I’ve got this! :D 

Archived