Early morning workout foods

smiling_yogi

I am wondering how everyone does their eating after working out first thing in the AM. I usually get up around 4-4:15, I’ll have 2 hard-boiled eggs before working out (yoga, running, strength training) then some tuna or meat snacks after for protein. My question is, since fats aren’t recommended post-workout, how long should I wait before eating breakfast or having coffee? I usually do coconut milk, collagen peptides, and ghee in my coffee. Even if you don’t know the answer to that question, I’d love to hear folks weigh in on what they’re eating for morning workouts. Thanks in advance!

I usually leave about 30-45mins between my postWO & breakfast. I eat the postWO before I shower, then eat breakfast at my desk - and it tends to be a little cooked chicken. So long as it's a lean protein anything is good, and maybe some starchy carbs on your strength training days if you're not eating a whole lot of them on a daily basis.

Hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is a topic I have highly researched and am still confused. I am starting my whole30 soon. I get up at 4:30 am and work out at 6:00 am. I have read a lot about pre-wo and post-wo means. I am unsure of what to eat that is super easy and properly nutrient based for each snack. I am a 4 ingredient or less kind of person, so I typically would make overnight oats for the week or do a protein shake (drink half pre wo and the other half post wo). Since both of those are not allowed, I have been doing the Rx bar (half pre and the other half post wo.) I also read to not over use the Rx bars. I understand that technically the ingredients are "whole30" approved, but then I would be eating one bar a day Monday through Friday. My question is, what are good pre and post wo snacks? 

• Administrators
7 minutes ago, mombombnikki said:

This is a topic I have highly researched and am still confused. I am starting my whole30 soon. I get up at 4:30 am and work out at 6:00 am. I have read a lot about pre-wo and post-wo means. I am unsure of what to eat that is super easy and properly nutrient based for each snack. I am a 4 ingredient or less kind of person, so I typically would make overnight oats for the week or do a protein shake (drink half pre wo and the other half post wo). Since both of those are not allowed, I have been doing the Rx bar (half pre and the other half post wo.) I also read to not over use the Rx bars. I understand that technically the ingredients are "whole30" approved, but then I would be eating one bar a day Monday through Friday. My question is, what are good pre and post wo snacks? 

Hi @mombombnikki - pre-workout is usually protein + fat (so chicken thigh and mayo or hard boiled egg and guac) and post workout is lean protein (tuna, turkey, chicken breast) and starchy veggie like sweet or regular potato.

You can also consider working out fasted if you are doing so early in the morning. I'm up a few minutes before 4am and workout until 5:30 and do so fasted. Then post workout then shower then breakfast. If you choose to do fasted training in the morning, pay attention to how you feel before, during and after as well as down the road. If you find you're burning out or not recovering well then alter your course and start eating that pre-workout food.

@ladyshanny I cringe at the thought of eating those types of food so early in the morning. I would totaly eat them for lunch or dinner though. I hope with Whole30 I can get over that, but for now, I am more of a sweet person for the morning. Fruit and nut butter, oatmeal with fruit and nuts or protein powder bar or shake vs real protein. Do you think the Rx bars in the morning are not a good source of early morning, almost daily, nutrients? 

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, BombmomNikki said:

@ladyshanny I cringe at the thought of eating those types of food so early in the morning. I would totaly eat them for lunch or dinner though. I hope with Whole30 I can get over that, but for now, I am more of a sweet person for the morning. Fruit and nut butter, oatmeal with fruit and nuts or protein powder bar or shake vs real protein. Do you think the Rx bars in the morning are not a good source of early morning, almost daily, nutrients? 

Rx Bars (and all bars) are only approved for emergency food (ie, stuck on a tarmac or in a work meeting that refuses to end). 

The fact you are leaning away from savoury and towards sweet actually is a huge indicator that your hormones are out of whack. Because of that, I probably wouldn't recommend fasted workouts for you. You really need to eat within an hour of waking, even if it's just a few bites of something. Baked chicken thighs are pretty palatable and dipped into a bit of mayo is a fairly decent choice. You don't need a lot but you do need something. When my husband was transitioning to being a morning eater of savoury things we avoided anything odourous (hard boiled eggs) or too dense/dry (meatballs/burger patties). Can you make up some chicken salad with chopped up apples or grapes and a homemade mayo? Does that sound like something you could have a few bites of? Load up on salt too and that might help make it more palatable?

@ladyshanny sweet and also EASY are my morning choices. I don't "make" my meals for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I only make dinner. So when I think preWO protein & fat, and look at the whole30 grocery list and think hard boiled egg, precooked chicken, handful of almonds, something I could eat in the car driving my commute to work. A quick post WO would also have to be "quick" to eat. Then the rest of my day I can actually eat something I might have to somewhat put together. I guess that is really my struggle. I do agree my hormones are out of wack and do crave sugar in the morning. 

Remember that your preWO meal  ISN'T fuel for your workout. Your body won't process protein & fat fast enough to use it as fuel so soon so it's really only a signal to your body that fuel is forthcoming and so it's okay for it to burn through it's stores. Sweet foods like fruit WILL provide an immediate source of fuel which is why you want to avoid them.

PreWO is just about the only occasion I'd recommend eating nut butter off of a spoon - it's classed as fat for Whole30 purposes and is fairly easy to handle early doors. Be wary of portion control though, and leave it off the menu at any other time of day. It usually takes around two weeks to get into fat burning mode provided you're eating according to the template so it should be enough to just get you over that hump.

PostWO protein is something you won;t want to skip on though in terms of recovery.

@jmcbn that is really helpful. So post WO is different then breakfast correct? If I did a 5:30am nut butter, 6-7:00am  workout, a protein snack at 7:15 am then a good breakfast at 8 or 9am, that would be good? I am reading so many of the whole30 books, there really needs to be a book separate that focuses just on the pre and postWO part of it. 

12 hours ago, BombmomNikki said:

If I did a 5:30am nut butter, 6-7:00am  workout, a protein snack at 7:15 am then a good breakfast at 8 or 9am, that would be good?

Perfect.

Honestly, don't over think it. Everyone's body works a little differently so it's hard to give specifics.

I ALWAYS trained fasted but found I really needed something preWO about 2wks in to my Whole30. These days I train at least three mornings a week before work & rarely take a preWO unless I waken ravenous. I never skip a postWO though, or breakfast! (And yes, breakfast is in addition to the postWO)

Let us know how you get on!

I'm considering doing the Whole30. I workout first thing in the morning fasted but I usually have branch chain amino acids before my workout to preserve muscle. Then I am in an all fire hurry to get to work after my workout so I have been having Whey protein isolate with more BCAAs and something sweet like juice or oatmeal until I can get to work and eat an actual meal. I'm going to re-think this. I know I can't have the whey. But I can't see myself giving up the BCAA's. I have gotten such good results since I started them, with improved strength and muscle growth. 

Are BCAAs Whole30 approved? 

I'm willing to consider having tuna or chicken and a sweet potato or a beet after my workouts really quick before I leave the house while I'm on the Whole30. I think I also read that collagen protein is allowed on the Whole30?  I'm really concerned with getting enough protein.

Thanks!

• Administrators
1 hour ago, AtlantaJJ said:

I'm considering doing the Whole30. I workout first thing in the morning fasted but I usually have branch chain amino acids before my workout to preserve muscle. Then I am in an all fire hurry to get to work after my workout so I have been having Whey protein isolate with more BCAAs and something sweet like juice or oatmeal until I can get to work and eat an actual meal. I'm going to re-think this. I know I can't have the whey. But I can't see myself giving up the BCAA's. I have gotten such good results since I started them, with improved strength and muscle growth. 

Are BCAAs Whole30 approved? 

I'm willing to consider having tuna or chicken and a sweet potato or a beet after my workouts really quick before I leave the house while I'm on the Whole30. I think I also read that collagen protein is allowed on the Whole30?  I'm really concerned with getting enough protein.

Thanks!

Hi! I have been using BCAA's for the last month and honestly I would never go without them again, the difference in recovery is absolutely astonishing! To answer your question, it would be like anything else where you have to read the ingredients on the one you plan to use. I couldn't personally find one without soy lecithin and since I'm not on Whole30 at this time, I decided that was alright with me. They also mostly have sweeteners in order to disguise the extremely bitter taste. If you can find one without non-compliant ingredients, they would be compliant. Good luck in your search!

Collagen is not a complete protein so please don't rely on this like you would a whey protein powder, post workout. Here's a good article explaining why: https://www.stupideasypaleo.com/2014/03/15/gelatin-post-workout-recovery/

Use protein and carbs from Whole30 sources (fish, chicken, sweet potato etc) as you mentioned and you should do fine. If you are worried about protein, make your post workout protein serving full sized. A serving of chicken has as much, if not more protein than a whey shake.

@ladyshannyI have one brand of BCAAs that has Soy lecithin in the ingredients lost but my Xtend unflavored BCAAs does not!   Thank goodness!!! I'm never giving up my BCAAs!!  It's good to know that I should avoid brands with the soy lecithin. 

ETA: Thanks for the link about collagen not being a complete protein! 

I am hard core, I mix it with water and take it "straight to the head". lol  It tastes like battery acid or something worse. 

I chase it down with another full glass of water to get the taste out of my mouth.  I refuse to get the flavored kind because of the dyes, sweeteners and artificial flavorings. 

I love what it's doing for me so I figure it's worth the nastiness!! 

Archived