Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

Christine, stick with water and decaf tea. Applesauce is a good idea, or a banana. Maybe something else soft like a plain baked sweet potato? Unless that booch is ginger, I would skip for now but definitely drink it once things are staying down.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Christine, stick with water and decaf tea. Applesauce is a good idea, or a banana. Maybe something else soft like a plain baked sweet potato? Unless that booch is ginger, I would skip for now but definitely drink it once things are staying down.

thanks so much--I don't have any bananas but I have cubed sweet potato.

can you put applesauce in instead of honey?

I found one that just left it out. Seriously, these muffins are disgusting. They taste like bricks. No, they taste like slightly cinnamon flavored sawdust. I am so sad because it wasted 1/2 cup almond butter and a can of organic pumpkins and coconut flour! Never again.

I have an issue...I got sick last night I believe from the dinner I ate. Funny thing is I had grass-fed ground beef ready to cook up, but I didn't like how it looked (the bottom was gray, and I have been having that issue with grass-fed or organic meat lately). Anyway, I made my last Pre-Made Paleo meal protein which was Cajun turkey breast, had a side of broccoli and cauliflower and at 4am it all came up (sorry for that! :unsure:) Of course, when I'm sick all I want is pasta, toast or something carby. It's 10:30am and I have not eaten. Any recommendations or should I try not to eat and stick with tea and water? I thought of applesauce and avocado, and I also have a bottle of kombucha if that would help the gut... thanks.

My gut was terrible two nights ago and honestly? I think it is part of the detox process. After I recovered (will spare you the details of the illness) I have literally never felt better. Strange!

Hello Whole30 friends! I apologize for taking a big hiatus from these forums - I was enjoying them! I have not, however, taken a hiatus from the Whole30 - still going strong on day 29.

Unfortunately, once my body started to really feel great (about a week ago), I caught some kind of nasty bug and I've been feeling pretty sick the past 6 days. It's starting to lift, so hopefully I'll shake it in the next day or two. Anybody else struggling with cold/sickness? I haven't read over all the posts, so if you're in the same boat as me, sorry I missed it, and sorry you're sick.

Also - I have NO IDEA what I'm going to eat in two days, ha! I'm thinking more paleo, but surely I've got to eat something that's not Paleo...

I should also note - I have cheated on the program in one little respect - I've weighed myself once a week (I used to do this daily, so once a week is an improvement for me!). I'm shocked to say that I've lost 13 pounds so far. I have never in my life lost that much weight in a month's time. I know the goal isn't necessarily weight loss, but it's a nice bonus :) I've also lost over two full inches around my belly and I'm fitting into a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in years.

I have an issue...I got sick last night I believe from the dinner I ate. Funny thing is I had grass-fed ground beef ready to cook up, but I didn't like how it looked (the bottom was gray, and I have been having that issue with grass-fed or organic meat lately). Anyway, I made my last Pre-Made Paleo meal protein which was Cajun turkey breast, had a side of broccoli and cauliflower and at 4am it all came up (sorry for that! :unsure:) Of course, when I'm sick all I want is pasta, toast or something carby. It's 10:30am and I have not eaten. Any recommendations or should I try not to eat and stick with tea and water? I thought of applesauce and avocado, and I also have a bottle of kombucha if that would help the gut... thanks.

I have a couple of stomach "things". Nothing as extreme as yours but just a sour stomach and my first few days of Whole30 I was nauseated at breakfast. If you have homemade broth, if not get something that is compliant and get some powdered gelatin to mix in it (only if it isn't homemade use the gelatin), add some ginger (powder works but I have a microplane zester and keep whole ginger in my freezer) and some garlic. Continue with the tea/water (add ginger to the tea too). When you're feeling like you could stomach food then I second the scrambled egg or banana or even sweet potato.

My gut was terrible two nights ago and honestly? I think it is part of the detox process. After I recovered (will spare you the details of the illness) I have literally never felt better. Strange!

I think there's something to that. I've had some issues with bowels and some crampy/sour stomach episodes. Though I think I can pin it down to Chipotle.

Hello Whole30 friends! I apologize for taking a big hiatus from these forums - I was enjoying them! I have not, however, taken a hiatus from the Whole30 - still going strong on day 29.

Unfortunately, once my body started to really feel great (about a week ago), I caught some kind of nasty bug and I've been feeling pretty sick the past 6 days. It's starting to lift, so hopefully I'll shake it in the next day or two. Anybody else struggling with cold/sickness? I haven't read over all the posts, so if you're in the same boat as me, sorry I missed it, and sorry you're sick.

Also - I have NO IDEA what I'm going to eat in two days, ha! I'm thinking more paleo, but surely I've got to eat something that's not Paleo...

I should also note - I have cheated on the program in one little respect - I've weighed myself once a week (I used to do this daily, so once a week is an improvement for me!). I'm shocked to say that I've lost 13 pounds so far. I have never in my life lost that much weight in a month's time. I know the goal isn't necessarily weight loss, but it's a nice bonus :) I've also lost over two full inches around my belly and I'm fitting into a bunch of clothes that I haven't worn in years.

Grats on the weight loss. :) I will continue to eat paleo as well. Any "treats" will be paleofied treats. I had a serious addiction to Starbucks before this, so as long as I say paleofied treats only, I won't have any reason to go there.

really? gosh I hope it's the same for me and will also spare you the details-LOL. I felt the best 14 days into the whole30 and not quite back there yet so maybe detoxing.

Did some soul searching last night and re-read all of the posts here. I think I have decided that this is not for me. I will continue on eating whole foods, no gluten, no sugar with exception of maybe raw honey on rare occasions. But I miss the ease of eating simple things and I really miss my green smoothies. There are so many rules to this whole 30 that it is causing more stress instead of being a positive experience. The goal was to give up the obsession of counting calories and logging every bite I ate but I feel that i've just traded one obsession for another. Constantily worrying about every little spec of ingredient that's in my food is not what i want to be doing. And the more weight I gain the worse I am obsessing, thinking "you must be missing something". I discussed everything with my husband last night to see how he is feeling. He is also feeling, well, fat to perfectly honest. Together we concluded that the only way to continue is to approach things from a new perspective. Go back to eating a heavily plant based diet and if we happen to eat some meat we'll make sure it's good quality. But protein and "meat" will not be the focus, nor will large amounts of added fat. (We won't be cutting fat out, just not a tablespoon of oil or whatever with every meal.) I don't know if this is correct thinking or not, but I am out ideas and running out of jeans that fit :/.

On a positive note . . . Congrats to everyone who is finished tomorrow. And congrats to those of you that had positive results! It's awesome when hard work really pays off!

Did some soul searching last night and re-read all of the posts here. I think I have decided that this is not for me. I will continue on eating whole foods, no gluten, no sugar with exception of maybe raw honey on rare occasions. But I miss the ease of eating simple things and I really miss my green smoothies. There are so many rules to this whole 30 that it is causing more stress instead of being a positive experience. The goal was to give up the obsession of counting calories and logging every bite I ate but I feel that i've just traded one obsession for another. Constantily worrying about every little spec of ingredient that's in my food is not what i want to be doing. And the more weight I gain the worse I am obsessing, thinking "you must be missing something". I discussed everything with my husband last night to see how he is feeling. He is also feeling, well, fat to perfectly honest. Together we concluded that the only way to continue is to approach things from a new perspective. Go back to eating a heavily plant based diet and if we happen to eat some meat we'll make sure it's good quality. But protein and "meat" will not be the focus, nor will large amounts of added fat. (We won't be cutting fat out, just not a tablespoon of oil or whatever with every meal.) I don't know if this is correct thinking or not, but I am out ideas and running out of jeans that fit :/.

On a positive note . . . Congrats to everyone who is finished tomorrow. And congrats to those of you that had positive results! It's awesome when hard work really pays off!

Sounds like you know what you need. Obsessing over food is not the point (not judging as I GET IT!). Focusing on whole food is to me the point in many ways. I know I've posted it before but I kind of worship the guy (Andrew Weil) :)

http://www.drweil.co...od-Pyramid.html

Keep us posted though if you can! Would love to hear your journey to being happy with food. I am on one too.

PS I never gave up green smoothies :)

Grats on the weight loss. :) I will continue to eat paleo as well. Any "treats" will be paleofied treats. I had a serious addiction to Starbucks before this, so as long as I say paleofied treats only, I won't have any reason to go there.

Thanks! Yeah - my ultimate goal is to stay Paleo for the rest of my life. I'm just curious if a 'cheat meal' would be worth how terrible I'd feel after.

Starbucks is a sneaky thing - you think you're having coffee, but in reality you're drinking tons and tons of sugar, depending on what you get, I suppose. I've always been a coffee with cream and splenda person, but I won't be sad if I never consume artificial sweetener again. I do love some good heavy dairy in my coffee, though.

Having my coffee black for a month has been an interesting experience - you sure get to find out who's got good coffee and who's got nasty coffee. Spoiler - Starbucks has some GROSS coffee, in my opinion, anyway. I've had theirs all of one time in the past month, and that was enough.

My weakness is the following outing: good Mexican restaurant - chips, salsa, queso, massive fajita quesadilla, 3 or 4 glasses of soda, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. That kind of thing happened about weekly. If I did that on Thursday, I think I might die.

Did some soul searching last night and re-read all of the posts here. I think I have decided that this is not for me. I will continue on eating whole foods, no gluten, no sugar with exception of maybe raw honey on rare occasions. But I miss the ease of eating simple things and I really miss my green smoothies. There are so many rules to this whole 30 that it is causing more stress instead of being a positive experience. The goal was to give up the obsession of counting calories and logging every bite I ate but I feel that i've just traded one obsession for another. Constantily worrying about every little spec of ingredient that's in my food is not what i want to be doing.

Well done, I hear a lot of wisdom at work here. Heck, maybe one objective for you might be simply feeling a greater sense of ease and joy around food. You sound really clear on what would help you the most now, so kudos to you and your husband. Hope you guys enjoy the transition, and that you experience more and more good health.

It sounds like you have figured out something that will work for you and that is the most important thing! Good luck!!

Thanks! Yeah - my ultimate goal is to stay Paleo for the rest of my life. I'm just curious if a 'cheat meal' would be worth how terrible I'd feel after.

Starbucks is a sneaky thing - you think you're having coffee, but in reality you're drinking tons and tons of sugar, depending on what you get, I suppose. I've always been a coffee with cream and splenda person, but I won't be sad if I never consume artificial sweetener again. I do love some good heavy dairy in my coffee, though.

Having my coffee black for a month has been an interesting experience - you sure get to find out who's got good coffee and who's got nasty coffee. Spoiler - Starbucks has some GROSS coffee, in my opinion, anyway. I've had theirs all of one time in the past month, and that was enough.

My weakness is the following outing: good Mexican restaurant - chips, salsa, queso, massive fajita quesadilla, 3 or 4 glasses of soda, and a pint of Ben and Jerry's. That kind of thing happened about weekly. If I did that on Thursday, I think I might die.

Ha! Yeah, I think I might die from that meal, too. My goal is to be paleo for the rest of my life, too. You know, ignorance is bliss, but once you learn as much as I have about what these different foods do to your body there really is no going back.

There's a local roaster around here called Zeke's and he does a Hippie Blend which I really like. It smells great out of my mason jar (where I store it after I get it in the bag) and while it's brewing. Though I'm taking a break from caffeine for a while. Of course it would figure that each person in my family had something to do with waking me up/keeping me up last night. Today's been a down day.

Pre Whole 30: 2 cups kale, 1/3 banana frozen, 1/2 cup blackberries or more, 1 cup greek yogurt plain, and matcha (green tea powder, not necessary) and water.

Whole 30: 2 cups kale, 1/3 banana frozen, 1/2 cup blackberries, 1/2 avocado and some coconut milk, matcha and water. Plus I would eat an egg or two depending on my yoga schedule.

I started off following this but cut down on fruits and increased greens over time: https://www.vitamix....-Green-Smoothie

Who knows what really is correct thinking? What do I think? Humans are a kaleidoscope of body types - and personality types. Listening to your body is a good thing. Putting intuition and data together - also good. It appears you're doing all of these. So...good! Like you need my approval, right? ;) Thanks for the congrats and for being wonderfully supportive. My best wishes to you!

@jtota, I'm with you! I haven't gotten the results I want and I just don't find myself happy on this "lifestyle change." My plan is to cut back on the red meat and add in chickpeas and black beans: it'll save us some calories and some cash. I'm also not going to freak out about soy in something or the wrong kind of oil: life is just too short!

NatPenBen, helen and jtota......what's in your green smoothies??? I used to drink lo-carb protein shakes and I am missing the simplicity of a drink in the morning instead of eggs.

My green smoothies used to be almond or coconut milk, spinach or kale (as much as can fit - usually 2 handfulls), some avocado or a spoon of nut butter, frozen fruit (about 1/2 cup), and brown rice protein powder (sometimes). Other occasional ingredients: coconut water, chia seeds, flax seeds, poppyseeds (in the super-delicious lemon/blueberry/coconut water/vanilla/almond nut butter smoothie), carrots, pumpkin...

Lately I've been pretty basic & haven't used many of the occasional ingredients, and also haven't used the protein powder. One that was really good the other day had coconut milk, spring mix salad greens (so spinach, arugula, and more), sunflower seed butter, and frozen pineapples. It had a flavor I hadn't had before.

A very positive result of this Whole30 for me: increased willpower to resist non-Paleo snacks!

Today I volunteered to judge a science fair. The lunch provided consisted of wraps, cookies, chips, water, and iced tea. I had a feeling there wouldn't be something for me, so I ate a boiled egg prior to going and made my lunch out of squash & zucchini from a veggie wrap, the lettuce mix and tomato used for garnish on the plate, and lemon from the iced tea for "salad dressing." It held me over until I got home (early!).

Every time I've been to a grocery store (which is a ridiculously high number I won't even share) since I finished the Whole30, I'm like: I can get a candy bar or I can get a pastry. But I don't. If the store has Lara bars, I get that, but if not, I get no snack.

Thursday I'm hosting an Open House for our Toastmasters club. I ordered Subway sandwiches and bought cookies, chips, water, salad, and dressing. I plan to eat the salad along with some of my homemade dressing, and will bring my own protein.

I indulged over the weekend for my friend's birthday (not TOO terrible: cookies, chips, wine) and PAID for it on Monday. My head hurt so bad I left work early. I need to remember that feeling to continue resisting.

I'm still here! Today is day 28 for me since the first two mornings I had plain greek yogurt in my smoothies. I haven't yet weighed but I am down one size in my Levis 501 (all I wear to work in the winter, lol). That makes me happy. I am down 3 sizes since last Fall. My goal is to be down 3 more sizes by next winter.

I feel pretty good. The cost is still freaking me out a lot. I already ate organic mostly so I am surprised by how much more it costs. I think it will be easier in the Spring/Summer. Also, I am getting better at shopping/meal planning. Yesterday I guestimated my personal food costs (not my family) and I figured $8 in fresh fruits and vegetables (I ate mixed salad, 1/2 avocado, whole tomato, whole onion, 1/2 sweet potato, banana, kale, fresh blueberries, cucumber, small amount guacomole), $3 in chocolate chili leftovers, $1.50 turkey burger, $1.50 half bottle of kombucha (this is my treat each evening and I love it), larabari ($1.50 bought in a pinch as errands took longer and I was getting a headache). So I spent probably about $15 on myself yesterday (including probably coffee and prep items). So that would be about $450 a month just for me. So I have to cut costs. The blueberries were expensive but my daughter asked for them while we shopped and I figure it is so much better than goldfish! My goal is to get this down to under $10. It is strange to add it all up though.

Ideas? Comments? I love fresh kale in my smoothies but I could use frozen.

Okay, off to the races!

Archived