Official 1/1/13 Start Group

LJG

As some of you mentioned, we are seriously thinking about a deep freezer. At the same organic farm we visited a few weeks ago (and spent $37 on one gallon of raw milk for the baby and one beef loin roast), 100% grass fed cows cost $4.xx/lb for a half cow and a little over $5/lb for a quarter cow. Those prices are cheaper than the regular grocery store price.

I also intend to cut down on the cost of veggies by growing some of my own, after I master the 6 or 7 herbs I'm growing now.

Regarding Whole Foods, there are some items I get there that I haven't found (or found cheaper) elsewhere (dried cranberries with apple juice instead of sugar, kelp noodles, coconut aminos). I did find one store with tuna in olive oil for $1.88, which is almost a dollar cheaper than the same tuna at Whole Foods, so I wiped out that store's supply the other day.

But I know our price will go down when my husband adds white rice back to his diet. That will cut down significantly on the amount of meat he eats. Today, when/if I have some free time at work, I'm going to come up with a realistic food budget as well as look on Craig's list for deep freezers.

Side note: I made the Pad Thai from Well Fed last night. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, so it was a tad drier than it would've been, but still quite delicious! I definitely see making this again. So far, I've loved everything I made from Well Fed except those jicama fries. I'll need to go update my Amazon.com review now that I've tried over 10 recipes in it.

...I am still contemplating where I want to go with this. Sadly, most of what I will add back will be for economical reasons :( Why did I go into education as my profession? lol

LOL I also wonder about some life choices that put a damper on the amount of discretionary money available... like moving from a very affordable apartment in the heart of the city to a big OLD house in the suburbs (and all the issues that go along with a 40+ yr old house), having a baby, and having my husband be a stay-at-home dad. Before those 3 things, this eating style would've been easily affordable. But so it goes.

• Replies 969
  • Created
  • Last Reply

LOL I also wonder about some life choices that put a damper on the amount of discretionary money available... like moving from a very affordable apartment in the heart of the city to a big OLD house in the suburbs (and all the issues that go along with a 40+ yr old house), having a baby, and having my husband be a stay-at-home dad. Before those 3 things, this eating style would've been easily affordable. But so it goes.

We live in a 40+ year old house too. Don't get me started. Luckily my husband was a construction worker (as was his Dad) and can fix most anything so that helps although projects take a long time to finish (although we had a pipe leak and there is still an open ceiling in the laundry room since early Nov. We always joke we should start a show called 'This Old F*&(ng House' where the homeowner has to go back to Lowes or Home Depot six times on a Saturday because nothing works right or 'universal' is too short, etc). You will NOT regret having a parent stay home with a child. I went from teaching full time with extra work to supplement my income to working part-time in the evenings to stay home with the girls mostly. I really cannot say how awesome it has been for all of us. Still, I do sometime see old colleagues advancing and feel jealous though as I will go back full-time probably the Fall of 2014 and I'll be starting back at the bottom. Sigh.

I don't think we can afford a freezer or have the space for it. Gardens are great but water is spendy. The girls totally love the garden though. We are working on our rain barrel systems but like anything it is a bit of a cost for start up. But we grow a LOT of tomatoes, snap peas, zucchini and family, etc. The kids really get a lot out of the garden and for my husband (who used to work outside but now is in a cubicle) it is his zen time every night :)

Get hubby to try basmati rice. It is still 'white' but much healthier! I heart my rice cooker as it makes perfect rice too!

So I was reading something the other day about the importance of not only watching what is in your food, but also personal products, like shampoo, body wash, lotions as things like gluten and chemicals you can't pronounce are in them. Last night I ran out of lip balm, and grabbed something I got from my mom at Christmas...Vaseline cherry-flavored lip balm. Normally not something I would buy. There's saccharin in it! In lip balm! And, my lovely Colgate Optic White toothpaste has sucralose in it. I hear you all on the cost of food, but imagine if we started going through everything in the bathroom too! OMG :o

So great to see that I am not the only one spending so much on groceries. I was worried that we were over spending but it looks like our $1000/month is right on track.

My husband really wants to go out to dinner this weekend. He has successfully cut his smoking back from at least a pack per day to just a few partial cigarettes, just a few puffs and he's done. This is the closest he's come to quitting ever! He is feeling better thanks to that and joining me on the whole30 and he wants to go out and just have a good time and maybe a few drinks. I am so ready to say "Yes, lets go!" But we are not quite done with this challenge yet :mellow:.

I am starting to think that instead of extending I might take a break for a few days and then start back in. Although, part of me says what's the point of taking a break - I dont really want to start over from scratch. Anyway, now is the perfect time to do this again. I am getting ready to take entrance tests for school (I'm getting ready to finally finish my bachelors) and I'll need the energy and mental focus I have gained.

Also, took a good look at myself in the mirror last night. My skin looks great, hair has grown a lot :) and my arms look really great- I've put on some muscle there. However, I still look anywhere form 4-6 months pregnant depending on the time of day :angry: what the heck? Could there seriously be something else I'm sensitive too? I am absolutly not pregnant so that's really gotta change - somehow.

So I was reading something the other day about the importance of not only watching what is in your food, but also personal products, like shampoo, body wash, lotions as things like gluten and chemicals you can't pronounce are in them. Last night I ran out of lip balm, and grabbed something I got from my mom at Christmas...Vaseline cherry-flavored lip balm. Normally not something I would buy. There's saccharin in it! In lip balm! And, my lovely Colgate Optic White toothpaste has sucralose in it. I hear you all on the cost of food, but imagine if we started going through everything in the bathroom too! OMG :o

What! There's sugar in my toothpaste!!!! That's the one I use too!!!! Ugh!! So irritating.

We live in a 40+ year old house too. Don't get me started. Luckily my husband was a construction worker (as was his Dad) and can fix most anything so that helps although projects take a long time to finish (although we had a pipe leak and there is still an open ceiling in the laundry room since early Nov. We always joke we should start a show called 'This Old F*&(ng House' where the homeowner has to go back to Lowes or Home Depot six times on a Saturday because nothing works right or 'universal' is too short, etc). ...

Get hubby to try basmati rice. It is still 'white' but much healthier! I heart my rice cooker as it makes perfect rice too!

You had me CRACKING UP at work at the thought of the tv show. Especially funny because on Wednesday, my husband made two trips to Home Depot to fix the dishwasher.

He'd probably like the basmasti rice. We did try jasmine before starting the Whole30 and the smell alone was enough to even make me (who isn't a rice eater at all) have some.

@christine19: I read about that a few months ago... With unlimited resources, I'd love to go 100% organic & natural in all products. The step I've taken, while waiting for those unlimited resources to rain down, is to use coconut oil for lotion, lip balm, & hair lotion.

I know! And I just found it in organic chicken broth and uncured organic bacon. And of course, cough drops have either sugar or artificial sweetener. :(

Can you BELIEVE there's sugar in chicken broth??! When we saw that at the store, and could only find ONE brand that didn't include it, I was downright shocked. I made some of my own shortly thereafter because I knew for sure what was in that, and I keep the boxed cartons (sans sugar) in the cupboard for if I run out. I'm appalled at how many things contain sugar that don't need to.

Can you BELIEVE there's sugar in chicken broth??! When we saw that at the store, and could only find ONE brand that didn't include it, I was downright shocked. I made some of my own shortly thereafter because I knew for sure what was in that, and I keep the boxed cartons (sans sugar) in the cupboard for if I run out. I'm appalled at how many things contain sugar that don't need to.

I found vegetable broth that had no sugar, same brand, which begs the question, why does chicken need to be sweeter than vegetables? :rolleyes: Pacific organic vegetable broth - water, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions, leeks, sea salt, bay leaves, parsley and thyme

I found vegetable broth that had no sugar, same brand, which begs the question, why does chicken need to be sweeter than vegetables? :rolleyes: Pacific organic vegetable broth - water, carrots, tomatoes, celery, onions, leeks, sea salt, bay leaves, parsley and thyme

Yep, that's the kind of veg broth I bought, too. But the chicken broth I bought was, I think, store brand organic. "Simply Organic" or something - it was at Fred Meyer's, which the rest of you likely call Kroger. :)

Tonight I do my last Whole30 grocery shopping! I don't know what the weeks following will look like (though I plan to do a strategic reintroduction of the things I've missed most to see their effect on me), but this will be my last official W30 trip to the stores. I'll also be picking up a bottle of wine, because - next Friday - that's the first thing I'm reintroducing. :P

Yep, that's the kind of veg broth I bought, too. But the chicken broth I bought was, I think, store brand organic. "Simply Organic" or something - it was at Fred Meyer's, which the rest of you likely call Kroger. :)

Tonight I do my last Whole30 grocery shopping! I don't know what the weeks following will look like (though I plan to do a strategic reintroduction of the things I've missed most to see their effect on me), but this will be my last official W30 trip to the stores. I'll also be picking up a bottle of wine, because - next Friday - that's the first thing I'm reintroducing. :P

I lived in Portland for nine years. I miss Fred Meyer :)

Only 5 days left in the Whole 30... and I'm starting to feel slightly worried about Day 31. I have been eating these tragic "Go Raw" cookies. They aren't really that good. AND they are totally SWYPO (at least for me). But for the past couple of days I've been eating them when I am not hungry at all.... Totally relapsing into unconscious eating.

I'm not eating THAT many of them, but I'm noticing the lure of my old habit of mindless eating. And hating that that habit is so deeply engrained.

The thing I really want for myself is to be able to trust myself around triggery food. Maybe the only answer for me going forward will simply be: don't bring triggery food into the house.

(And perhaps the obviousness of this conclusion fits the old-timers' saying: "going around your ass to get to your elbow.")

Only 5 days left in the Whole 30... and I'm starting to feel slightly worried about Day 31. I have been eating these tragic "Go Raw" cookies. They aren't really that good. AND they are totally SWYPO (at least for me). But for the past couple of days I've been eating them when I am not hungry at all.... Totally relapsing into unconscious eating.

I'm not eating THAT many of them, but I'm noticing the lure of my old habit of mindless eating. And hating that that habit is so deeply engrained.

The thing I really want for myself is to be able to trust myself around triggery food. Maybe the only answer for me going forward will simply be: don't bring triggery food into the house.

(And perhaps the obviousness of this conclusion fits the old-timers' saying: "going around your ass to get to your elbow.")

Yes I know what you mean. I started buying the kids snack stuff in individual bags (more $$ and worse for environment) just so I wouldn't mindlessly grab a handful of cheddar bunnies or whatever when I was in the kitchen. Emotional eating is my issue totally.

Jtota - instead of a "full" break maybe you could allow yourself some of the less-bad foods (i.e., red wine or white rice or dark chocolate) for a few days and then go back on. That would help you to avoid some/most of the inflammatory effects of the worst offenders (i.e., gluten) but might still feel like a little breather.

I haven't posted on here in a while but am popping in to say that I can't believe it's Day 25. I'm wishing you all a strong and fabulous last 5 days - and me, too!

Re: the grocery bill...don't get me started. I am the only cook in the family (me, hubs, 16 month old daughter) so what I cook and eat, everyone eats. So we're pretty much all doing the Whole30 except stuff hubs buys/grazes on his own. We are spending over $1,000/month and it's really making our budget difficult. We're going to sit down this weekend and figure out some ways to economize, including a cow-share, pig-share, etc. I also want to find a local farmer to source raw dairy and pastured eggs.

Good luck all!

ccraven62 I completely understand what you're going through, I did so well the first two and a half weeks, then started noticing my grazing habits coming back. Nighttime is especially hard for me when I'm just lounging around and watching my roommates snack on things I can't eat. My nighttime ritual usually consisted of standing in front of my pantry stuffing my face with a little bit of everything in there. I'd justify it by telling myself I was only getting a handful of things, so it really wasn't that bad. Now I'm starting to justify with the healthy food as well, even though I just ate dinner and am perfectly full. If anyone has some good advice on cutting the cravings let me know, I'd love to hear it.

Can't believe we're only 5 days away from finishing, so proud of you all!!!

Easy solution to store bought - sugar contaminated broth, make your own. I use all the left over bits from prepping my veggies and just simmer in a big pot for awhile with some herbs and salt, then strain and you've got veggie broth. Store in fridge or freeze in ice cub trays :) this works best of you do a general cook up or prep for your week all at once

Also, there is a Paleo cafe apparently on Mississippi Ave. My friend goes there all the time.

There are two Paleo Food Carts - they're called The Cultured Caveman, and we went there once - their chicken strips (breaded with coconut flour and fried in - I believe - beef fat) were soooo good, and the girl working was super friendly and chatty. There's one on Mississippi - maybe that's the one your friend goes to? Or is there another one I don't know about?

Easy solution to store bought - sugar contaminated broth, make your own. I use all the left over bits from prepping my veggies and just simmer in a big pot for awhile with some herbs and salt, then strain and you've got veggie broth. Store in fridge or freeze in ice cub trays :) this works best of you do a general cook up or prep for your week all at once

That's exactly what I did with the chicken broth - I was just like, "Enough of this, I'll buy a whole chicken and do it myself." I am feeling much more homegrown lately - making my own mayo and broth - and I was always a make-it-from-scratch girl. Now I'm more like, first make the scratch, then build on that. It feels good, I just need to make it sustainable. Thanks for the veggie broth tip, I'll try that this weekend!

I don't think we can afford a freezer or have the space for it. Gardens are great but water is spendy. The girls totally love the garden though. We are working on our rain barrel systems but like anything it is a bit of a cost for start up. But we grow a LOT of tomatoes, snap peas, zucchini and family, etc. The kids really get a lot out of the garden and for my husband (who used to work outside but now is in a cubicle) it is his zen time every night :)

I have had a garden for two years and no one informed that I need to get out there and weed it regularly. I'm also scared of bugs. :P We have this big beautiful orb spiders but I want to admire them from afar, not up close and personal! We have a freezer in the garage and I've been working/eating my way through it as my farmer just started up his own butchering business!

I started No Poo in December. I use a mix of baking soda and water in a squirt bottle to wash my hair every 3 days or so and a mix of apple cider vinegar and water in the same kind of bottle once a week or so. I use Chagrin Valley Soap and Salve soaps and deodorant. To moisturize I've been using CJ's Butter Balm, which is meant for cloth-diaper friendly diaper cream but is a great moisturizer on my hands and elbows. Before No Poo I was using Aubrey Organics. My toothpaste is by the people that make RealSalt. It's got clay and wintergreen essential oil and stuff in it and I really like it. Some of the Tom's toothpastes would leave my teeth not smooth but this does the trick. I have not found a good alternative for Glide floss and I'm still using ProActiv for my acne issues. I am trying to figure out when I want to stop that and see how it goes.

That's what I've had to do. I bought a bag of dried cherries to make a baked paleo treat for the kiddos but.. all the extras went in my belly.

NatPatBen, I made the pad thai for dinner tonight! I used baked chicken thighs, broccoli instead of snap peas, and julienned zucchini instead of spaghetti squash. It turned out really good! I also made the mayo.. omg. I am never buying mayo from the store again. Though it tasted so good that I am paranoid about the true source of my mild olive oil (there was an article somewhere about grocery store olive oils not really being olive oil or being a blend).

5 days left. My daughter has been asking for 4 days when my challenge is over with and we can all have ice cream. I'm going to get the Coconut Dream stuff I think, though I need to double check the ingredients. And some wine though I will probably see about going to my inlaws so I can partake with my FIL. :)

I would love it if y'all would stay here with me and keep in touch with what we're doing post-Whole30. I know we've got some that started halfway through the month to support, too! I don't remember who started when at this point but I love hearing from you all. :)

I have had a garden for two years and no one informed that I need to get out there and weed it regularly. I'm also scared of bugs. :P We have this big beautiful orb spiders but I want to admire them from afar, not up close and personal! We have a freezer in the garage and I've been working/eating my way through it as my farmer just started up his own butchering business!.

Dealing with pests is another downside. My girls were devastated that slugs ruined our strawberries this year.

Torena--I have to tell someone who understands....I bit the bullet and bought a refurbished Vitamix blender. The push was I was (am) at my mom's and her blender died and she was asking me about mine so I thought now I can do it guilt free and give her my old one and get what I really want. It has a 5 year warranty so I feel okay about it being refurbished too.

I would love it if y'all would stay here with me and keep in touch with what we're doing post-Whole30. I know we've got some that started halfway through the month to support, too! I don't remember who started when at this point but I love hearing from you all. :)

I was just thinking about this today - I feel like Sarah at the end of Labyrinth. I'm going to miss you all!! So I'll probably keep coming around for awhile, at least - this support has been amazing, and I've enjoyed the little bit we've gotten to know about each other!

I was just thinking about this today - I feel like Sarah at the end of Labyrinth. I'm going to miss you all!! So I'll probably keep coming around for awhile, at least - this support has been amazing, and I've enjoyed the little bit we've gotten to know about each other!

I completely agree! This has been an awesome support group on so many levels and topics!

Archived